Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North inner city turning into war zone

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

The junkies are more obvious because they aren't camoflaged by the masses of regular Joes any more.

Daily :pac::pac::pac: I'd be surprised if there is one mugging in a 6 month period on somewhere as crowded and CCTV heavy as O'Connell St.

Yes. Well policed and more free of crime than plenty of other Western capitals main throighfares.

The Roma gypsies hanging out all day are an annoyance. Aside from that, little to report.

I too live in the area, and while the op is is going overboard, this reply is just as outlandish.

there was a serious assault on the 26th of january right outside the gpo.

Like Dublin is a relatively safe city but there's no point fighting hyperbole with hyperbole. i walk the city alot as per my job as a photojournalist. there is very little visible police presence. this is a fact at this stage.

I might be pickpocketed blind in Las ramblas at night, but i've a better chance of not being assaulted or the like. I've even been part of a group who was able to talk back our stuff from the brazzers and pimps who go about in Barcelona. Do this in Dublin with the feral and you're in the wars.

Your first point is correct, its mainly pandemic related. However i think its heading to a worse place as these small pockets get more and more isolated and the rest of Ireland moves on with living in the 21st century.

Bring in labour camps for petty crime.

He probably lives in some leafy suburb somewhere. Plenty of treatment centres out of the city centre but usually not in 'certain' areas.

Anyway, people who say the city centre is fine and hardly anything goes on are deluded.

exactly this.

I'd say its more the idea that they think, sure its grand, and while it slips and slips, people will say sure it wasn't i who was murdered/assaulted. Four stabbings in one square mile in a month is a massive redball, no matter what anybody thinks. Hatchet attacks in broad daylight etc. it isn't normal, and normalising it etc is very very dangerous. And thats even before the idea that Dublin as a city needs more people living in its core. The same folk as you say wouldn't want to leave their leafy suburb except for office work or a piss up etc. Live there..god no. But sure its grand...

People should think in a decade what might happen. Yes the city was arguably worse in days gone by, but that was an old Ireland, poor and feckless and jobless, reliant on pure graft. Jobs in the docks gone etc. yet the small pockets left will never be gentrified (probably only right as its their community) and they will feel more and more isolated, socially and culturally as Dublin enters a kind of third age of just normal western living (instead of all that celtic tiger stuff)

People who say there is police in the city should actually be made walk Dublin for a day and make note of police they see outside of cars.

The poor woman murdered was about a mile from a 24 hour garda checkpoint. Bus drivers in the central station complained to store street about assaults etc. its an utter joke at times.

I live in Ballybough, its rough as **** at times but i feel safe. then again i look like i belong, i'm 6,2 etc.

Hopefully one good thing that comes out of this Pandemic is that people start to appreciate all the amazing things we have in this city and that it could be even better. The pedestrian trials that went on a while ago are a good example. I loved being in the city those few weekends as it felt so much better.

The city needs to be taken back from these people who think they can do what they like and ruin it for everyone else.

Hopefully one good thing that comes out of this Pandemic is that people start to appreciate all the amazing things we have in this city and that it could be even better. The pedestrian trials that went on a while ago are a good example. I loved being in the city those few weekends as it felt so much better.

The city needs to be taken back from these people who think they can do what they like and ruin it for everyone else.

eaxactly. Dublin is a great city at the best of times. So much potential as well. We haven't realised half of it. Normalising toxic, reckless behavior shouldn't be part of it.

SOme of these folk have had utterly ****e uprbrinings and have no job opportunities etc, but its also part of why we have one of the most generous social welfare systems in the World.

We need a balance between strong social supports and strong deterrents. at the moment we only do the former. and by the latter i mean visible policing on foot, community policing, more cctv, electronic tagging if needs be, larger fines and parental fines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

kravmaga wrote: »
    Thats because your wearing a blind fold and cant see whats going on or rose tinted glasses :D

I didn't realise a blindfold or a pair of glasses would protect me from getting mugged or beaten up. Yet hear I am, never been mugged or beaten up in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Was there a time the North Inner City wasn't rough?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The late 18th Century. Act of Union caused significant disruption and started the decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

This is on a different level! I have worked in the area for last 15 years and what it has turned into in the last 6 months can only be believed if you see it.

No way Simon Harris would be briskly walking down to the Luas on Marlborough Street now, like he was 6 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Niallof9 wrote: »
    eaxactly. Dublin is a great city at the best of times. So much potential as well. We haven't realised half of it. Normalising toxic, reckless behavior shouldn't be part of it.

SOme of these folk have had utterly ****e uprbrinings and have no job opportunities etc, but its also part of why we have one of the most generous social welfare systems in the World.

We need a balance between strong social supports and strong deterrents. at the moment we only do the former. and by the latter i mean visible policing on foot, community policing, more cctv, electronic tagging if needs be, larger fines and parental fines.

It's just almost like the culture of inner city townies to be rough. Embedded through generations of hardship. The way they they f*cking scream at each other all the time and behave it's like being around aliens or something, they are just so different to who I am. And I went to school in the inner city with people from these areas.
    Heroin has been there for a couple of generations at this stage and if you're dragged up by some yoke screaming in your face when you're a toddler is it any wonder they turn to heroin and crime and all sorts.
    I don't really know how you change all this, the inner city kids seem to still be getting up to no good, but it really was worse in the 90s. As a teenager then if you went anywhere near the flats you'd be started on and gangs would appear out of nowhere around Joey's mansions and Sheriff St etc. I don't think it's that bad now.
    We can just hope that as our general standard of living improves and social services improve that these people will have more opportunities and the cycle will end sooner or later.
    You don't get these types of people in other European cities, maybe in the UK, but that dog rough violent element, I just haven't seen it anywhere else.

• Advertisement

All true

Still no reason not to clear em out of NIC before tackling the underlying causes

Tackling the underlying causes would in itself be hugely unpopular with the crowd in question also

"Money and cuddles" wont do it

You don't get these types of people in other European cities, maybe in the UK, but that dog rough violent element, I just haven't seen it anywhere else.

This isnt remotely true imo tho. Dublin is typical of a city of its size in terms of areas you wander and areas you dont, with a small tweak here or there for cultural or local factors

This isnt remotely true imo tho. Dublin is typical of a city of its size in terms of areas you wander and areas you dont, with a small tweak here or there for cultural or local factors

Well from my experience, you don't get angry violent people elsewhere like we have in Dublin, not on the same level. Also in European cities the most dangerous areas are pretty much all immigrant areas, it's pretty unique here that the roughest areas are locals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Dubit11

Dublin's grand. People need to travel a bit and experience the world if they think Dublin is bad

Dubit11 wrote: »
    Dublin's grand. People need to travel a bit and experience the world if they think Dublin is bad

I agree, it could still be improved though.

I agree, it could still be improved though.

It needs to be improved a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Niallof9 wrote: »
    ....I live in Ballybough, its rough as **** at times but i feel safe. then again i look like i belong, i'm 6,2 etc.
    :confused: Look like you belong? Most of the males I see around Ballbough are short/skinny/scrawny. If anything, you'd look out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Having lived and worked in the city for over 20 years I have to concur. I was even attacked for the first time over the summer on parnell st when I narrowly missed a girl who stepped out in to the cycle lane just before I passed and in my l surprise I let a shout. Cue her shambling, vagrant fella taking off his hoodie and running down the street after me. As he caught up at the traffic lights, I hopped off the bike and gave him a dig knocking him off his feet just as he was about to attack me. I'm sure some of the motorists looking on enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

sweetie wrote: »
    Having lived and worked in the city for over 20 years I have to concur. I was even attacked for the first time over the summer on parnell st when I narrowly missed a girl who stepped out in to the cycle lane just before I passed and in my l surprise I let a shout. Cue her shambling, vagrant fella taking off his hoodie and running down the street after me. As he caught up at the traffic lights, I hopped off the bike and gave him a dig knocking him off his feet just as he was about to attack me. I'm sure some of the motorists looking on enjoyed it.

Echoes what I'm hearing long time city dwellers are seeing a noticable change and it's in the last year only

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Need to bring back Lugs Braniagn, he would sort them out fairly quickly. I cant see too many giving him lip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,554 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Glebee wrote: »
    Need to bring back Lugs Braniagn, he would sort them out fairly quickly. I cant see too many giving him lip.

Well seeing as he died in 1986 I don't think bringing him back is much of an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Well seeing as he died in 1986 I don't think bringing him back is much of an option.

*whispers* He was frozen and is stored in the Phoenix Park, in case of emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

The lack of normal people on the streets in pandemic times give the feral youths a sense that they're running the place. I can just imagine the conversations they have - "I dare ya ta box de hed off yer man der". And then some poor randomer out walking gets it.

A curfew and Garda enforcement would solve it all. I can't understand why they don't do it. There's nothing to do at night time anyway so the majority of people would support it.

What it boils down to is that there are not enough Gardai on the beat and the one's who are around are just too soft with people up to no good. It just gets very frustrating to see people getting away with all this antisocial stuff when if it was you or i that was doing it you'd be in the back of a van and in a cell before you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

What it boils down to is that there are not enough Gardai on the beat and the one's who are around are just too soft with people up to no good. It just gets very frustrating to see people getting away with all this antisocial stuff when if it was you or i that was doing it you'd be in the back of a van and in a cell before you know it.

In fairness there are probably some Gardai who try their best. But must be infuriating when they see a known scumbag get handed down warnings from a judge.

... if it was you or i that was doing it you'd be in the back of a van and in a cell before you know it.
    Haven't you heard of the 'revolving door' in our justice system? Why would any Garda go to the bother of doing that when the scobes will be back out again in a couple of hours? A heap of paperwork for nothing.

Glebee wrote: »
    We're not in the 1940's. Branigan would be dismissed from the force for gross misconduct in no time if he was around today. That's if he didn't get a bullet first.

Are there other countries in Western Europe where gangs of kids roam the city centre getting up to no good? Maybe in Naples or Sicily? I was on Grafton St a few weeks ago and there were about 100 teenagers on bikes causing all kinds of trouble, with a couple of hapless gardai chasing after one or two of them and trying to move them on while being jeered.
    Have you ever seen Spanish police that stand around the city centres? Absolutely hard as nails looking most of the time and you wouldn't f*ck with them.
    You get them on public transport, the Luas etc. That's an Irish thing, it doesn't happen in Spain, France, Germany etc. Maybe the UK although I never experienced it there.
    Like I'd expect to see it in Rio and Mumbai, but why does this happen here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

It’s not only the inner city though. Had to drive through ballyfermot today, what a kip it has become again. Passed 5 horses, one not much more than a foal being driven by mostly kids. But I guess the guards are mounting COVID checkpoints. Why are people allowed have horses in the city in the first place.

• Advertisement

The horses thing is shocking, I saw a horse being raced down Summerhill not too long ago, by a kid in a tracksuit with no saddle. In the UK, where they take animal cruelty seriously, you wouldn't get away with that for a second.

Advertisement