Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving child on own

Options
  • 25-02-2021 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Hi. Someone mentioned to me that they leave their 7 year old each morning while they leave the house to exercise. I know there’s no legal age at which a child can be left alone but what do you think? Is 7 too young?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

I always say it's down to the maturity of the child and there's no set age, but 7!!! That's too young, what if a fire broke out or an emergency

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I was left home alone or allowed to roam the neighbourhood or go to the shops or whatever on my own at that age. I think it's mad now that I've a seven-year-old. Would be a few years before I'd leave him home alone.

Sure I worry when I go to leave out the bins, in case I'd get injured somehow and he'd be left alone in the apartment with no one knowing he's there (I'm a single mum.) And then I'm only gone about 30 seconds! Definitely wouldn't be comfortable leaving him any longer than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It depends on a lot of things. Maturity, what kind of area you're in, the risks in your house etc. (open fires? Gas?) How long you're out for. A 5k run takes 25 mins for example.

Also, what would expect them to do while you are out?
    Are they still in bed, because it's 7am? They would just stay put til you're back.
    Do they have other siblings in the house, either to look after, or the other way around.

I did leave mine on their own in the house at that age, for about 20-30 minutes. Bins is a good example. But they are occupied with something, and I'll tell them where I was going. Not left in charge of making dinner or anything hazardous. And the dog was here, for company and barking her head off at potential strangers, if that counts.

When I had a toddler or a newborn, I didn't feel like I could leave them out of my sight for very long. I even remember bringing the bassinet into the bathroom when I was even having a shower! Once I got used to them being out of sight for a while, and they survived it... confidence grew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Personally 7 is far too young for me. Our eldest is 7 and it would never occur to us to leave her alone, although we would have no reason to. She is too young for a mobile phone so would have no way of contacting us in an emergency aswell, we have no house phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

The oldest was older when I left him alone. They younger was left with her brother when 7. I go for a run most mornings that takes me about 25 minutes (no driving). I felt guilty at the beginning but we live next to their grandmother and they can access her house through the garden if there is an issue. They are warned not to burn down the house every so often and up till now they obeyed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

it depends on so many factors and it is really unfair to judge with out knowing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

7 probably a little young , I will leave my ten year old now for 10 or 15 minutes while I pop out to the shop.
    We live in a small housing estate and he knows not to answer the door to anyone and to ring me if he needs to. Neighbours are two seconds away if he needs them..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I agree that 7 is too young. I leave my 10 year old for half an hour while going to the shop etc. He can text me from the iPad or use Alexa to call me. It’s always during the day.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

7 is a little young tbh.

My eldest is 10. I began leaving him for short periods of time recently.

We're talking 30-45 minutes while I go to the shops.

We have a house phone which I ring him on and he knows mine and his Dad's numbers off by heart.

He has no interest in kettles or toasters etc. So I'm not worried about him burning anything down. He sits and watches the tele or he plays Minecraft.

When I was 9 I was taking public transport home from school by myself, letting myself in and making myself a sandwich or cereal until my Mother came home from work at 5. It taught me independence. I loved it.

My three year old comes everywhere with me. I wouldn't dream of leaving him here with the older guy. Maybe when he's 13/14 I'll let him babysit for short periods.

I know people who would be horrified even at the thought of a 10 year old left by themselves; but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Digs wrote: »
    Personally 7 is far too young for me. Our eldest is 7 and it would never occur to us to leave her alone, although we would have no reason to. She is too young for a mobile phone so would have no way of contacting us in an emergency aswell, we have no house phone.

I think this is the important bit. What is the plan in the event of an emergency? Have they somewhere to run to or someone to contact? And a means to do so?

My 7yr old would be very immature and frankly he'd be about 17 before is trust him not to do something catastrophic!

• Advertisement
Advertisement