Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

RandRuns wrote: »
    Great news that people on the housing list for years are about to be queue jumped?

Great news that a country in dire financial straits is committing to an unsustainable white elephant programme?

Or great news that we've just turned Ireland into a honeypot for every fake asylum seeker in the world?

Asylum seekers have nothing to do with the housing list.

The housing list is government policy. There are thousands of empty properties all over the country - enough to house every, single, homeless person, asylum seeker and make a massive dent into the housing list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

That's been pushed by Labour and Sinn Fein mainly along with the smaller far left parties. I'd expect that referendum result to be reversed once Sinn Fein are in power

And they don't need a referendum to do it, just a Dáil vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

titan18 wrote: »
    Let's not forget these lads want to reverse the 04 referendum too so it won't even matter if they're rejected, once they had a kid, they're here for good if they manage to do that.

The referendum cannot be reversed. The Good Friday agreement would fall apart as there is no way the Brits will allow birthright citizenship in NI again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Which parties would be on the opposite end of the scale? Any at all?

Renua.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The housing list is government policy. There are thousands of empty properties all over the country - enough to house every, single, homeless person, asylum seeker and make a massive dent into the housing list.

They don't now. With this plan they will, or where else are the houses coming from. If its a separate department, it's just two arms of the government bidding against each other then which is even worse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I have been trying to avoid Irish mainstream media reporting on this story today, but on Virgin Median news at 5:30 pm, they had a short clip about the story and they showed high metal fencing with barbed wires. Where in God's name is there a DP centre in Ireland surrounded by barbed wire fences?

And then Virgin Media interview the MASI spokesman chancer who failed in his asylum application but is still here at our expense, who was complaining about this new system too.

Such a disingenuous and immoral depiction of the reality in Ireland. Virgin Media news are getting as bad as RTE.

The referendum cannot be reversed. The Good Friday agreement would fall apart as there is no way the Brits will allow birthright citizenship in NI again.

One would hope but I think a Dáil vote can change it.
    It was London and Brussels that got Ireland to have a referendum.

Extremely biased one sided treatment by RTÉ just now.

Every single time.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Which parties would be on the opposite end of the scale? Any at all?

There are none realistically. I don't count the National Party as a proper party, they've no representatives and I despise their policies and overall attitude. Renua have fairly strict immigration and asylum policies but I'm not sure if they can be classed as a properly functioning party anymore. Not sure how many representatives they have, maybe a handful of local councillors? There's really no one, although some of the independents would be opposed to the political parties.

Realistically if you want a career as a mainstream politician you don't question these policies, you support them and focus on other issues, which they all seem more than happy to do

It will be reversed in the Dail, not by referendum. Yes, there could be blowback from the British and the EU for opening up a backdoor to EU citizenship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

When they do eventually get an opposing voice it will certainly be some raving right wing lunatic. All so they can claim balance but also so whatever they say can be dismissed. They would never have someone who can make eloquent reasoned opposition.

Possibly because the voices for raving right wing lunatics are usually raving right wing lunatics :pac:

Couldn't resist, but in all honesty, I would love to hear a robust eloquent argument for all viewpoints put to scrutiny by all possible viewpoints, in a reasoned and informed discussion. Chances of that happening are slim to 0

Possibly because the voices for raving right wing lunatics are usually raving right wing lunatics :pac:

Couldn't resist, but in all honesty, I would love to hear a robust eloquent argument for all viewpoints put to scrutiny by all possible viewpoints, in a reasoned and informed discussion. Chances of that happening are slim to 0

All you seem to add is constant insults?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

All you seem to add is constant insults?

It was a joke ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

RTE Six One News hailing this as a triumph

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Where are the thousands of empty properties we keep hearing about, I'm from an area where there was a lot of houses build in the last boom, very few empty property's now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Hi_thur_folks

Look up Twitter.
    Many End Dp etc accounts are already complaining that the White Paper doesn’t go far enough.
    Govt have made a big mistake bending to their will.
    They’ll never be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

I'm still celebrating about this news. AN END TO DIRECT PROVISION!!! Can I get three cheers for an end to Direct Provision?
    Hip Hip..
    Hip Hip..
    HIP HIP!!...

Great to hear that things like this won't be happening anymore

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/we-have-been-traumatised-asylum-seekers-in-a-kerry-direct-provision-centre-on-hunger-strike-in-protest-at-inhumane-conditions-39403971.html
    Asylum seekers in a controversial Kerry Direct Provision centre have gone on hunger strike in protest at the “inhumane conditions” they are living in.

For four months, asylum who are staying at the Skellig Star hotel in Cahersiveen have been calling on the government to move them out. The group of 41 people left at the hotel includes seven children. The hunger strike follows complaints about the standards of the accommodation and an outbreak of Covid-19 among a number of asylum seekers. About 30 people have already been moved out of the hotel.

“We have been traumatised and for us to recover from this we need to be all moved out of this accommodation immediately by the ministers to appropriate accommodation centres. We are just 41 asylum seekers remaining including 7 children.

This is a real step in the right direction and the racists throwing toys out of the pram is hilarious :D:D:D

RTE Six One News hailing this as a triumph

It's a cause for celebration

photo-1501386761578-eac5c94b800a?ixid=MXw1Nzc4NHwwfDF8c2VhcmNofDN8fENyb3dkfGVufDB8fHw&ixlib=rb-1.2.1&w=640

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Do you think the asylum seeker is taking the house from your son? Or responsible for the 3.5x borrowing limits? Are they in their shite.

No - blame the shitty government policies that have lead to this, not a few thousand immigrants. Blame the banks that fucked us ten times over.

Naah, let's just blame the foriners. Much easier.

All I am saying ... is my son will take a free house if government is giving out free houses. Where does he put down his name. What gives a person from Nigeria who arrived on a ferry 4 months ago the right to a house over my son??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Not far enough, we should be putting jets onto the list popular migrant destinations letting them fly home for family.

Just invite everyone in, it's not like we are in the middle of a global pandemic with 30 percent unemployed and people calling for closed borders.

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    This is the crux of the NGO plan, which is now being implemented by our elected officials in government.

Please enlighten us on this plan. Are you talking about that weird white genocide conspiracy nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This is a real step in the right direction and the racists throwing toys out of the pram is hilarious :D:D:D

1/10

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Do you think the asylum seeker is taking the house from your son? Or responsible for the 3.5x borrowing limits? Are they in their shite.

No - blame the shitty government policies that have lead to this, not a few thousand immigrants. Blame the banks that fucked us ten times over.

Naah, let's just blame the foriners. Much easier.

Clearly, the bogus AS are not the cause of the housing crisis, ok.

But a new policy to provide an "own-door" house to all AS will boost demand for housing, and will make the housing crisis worse.

I wonder could I fabricate a sketchy history of being a political refugee, arrive at a Dublin Airport with no papers and then "endure" a few weeks in a hotel then be assigned housing.
    Families were claiming to be homeless and sleeping at Garda Stations to get priority access housing so why not do similar here to game the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

GT89 wrote: »
    I don't blame the foreigners either. If I was living in Albania, Pakistan or Nigeria and there was a country in the West giving free money and free housing that meant a better standard of living I would on the first plane too. What I am against is the government giving housing to migrants not migrants taking housing from the government.

But hey much easier to just call people who are against migrants being housed by the government ahead of the Irish racist and every phobia under the sun rather than calling for the government to close the borders and house the Irish first then allow in asylum seekers.

Yes, I don't blame them either.

It's we who are the fools.

It's we who allow illegal immigrants past the ports.

It's we who set up DP.

It's we who allow them appeal, and appeal.

And then it's we who don't deport them after their claim is rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Please enlighten us on this plan. Are you talking about that weird white genocide conspiracy nonsense?

Go away and have a lie down for yourself before you get a heart attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Jesus can rte just report the news without the touchy feely nonsense.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I wonder what SF will do about this.

Being on the left means things like asylum are right up their street.

But how will it play with their working class and welfare class base if they see the housing list get longer as a result of accommodation being provided to asylum seekers.

Their could be a chance for some right wing populist movements if this does indeed add to housing woes.

Masala wrote: »
    All I am saying ... is my son will take a free house if government is giving out free houses. Where does he put down his name. What gives a person from Nigeria who arrived on a ferry 4 months ago the right to a house over my son??

An asylum seeker is an immigrant who has been forcibly displaced and might have fled their home country because of war or other factors harming them or their family.

If your son was in that situation you wouldn't want us to help?

You sound like a great parent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Roderic O' Gorman is not to be trusted.
    In light of him doing the rounds on our GroupThink mainstream media today and repeating the fallacy that his plan has universal approval, I contacted all of the sitting TDs in my constituency to confirm that this was not the case, and I vehemently disagreed with this immoral plan to house asylum seekers in a manner that will result in Irish people becoming homeless.

I encourage others who do not agree with this plan to write a quick email to all of your TDs to express your sentiments. Otherwise, they too will believe O' Gorman's lies.

Advertisement