Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

I wonder what SF will do about this.

Being on the left means things like asylum are right up their street.

But how will it play with their working class and welfare class base if they see the housing list get longer as a result of accommodation being provided to asylum seekers.

Their could be a chance for some right wing populist movements if this does indeed add to housing woes.

The National Party? Well they seem to be promoting interracial relationships as one of their members is of Jamaican origin and dating an Irish girl. Fair play to them. I'd just like to commend the National Party for promoting the equality of all humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Masala wrote: »
    All I am saying ... is my son will take a free house if government is giving out free houses. Where does he put down his name. What gives a person from Nigeria who arrived on a ferry 4 months ago the right to a house over my son??

Tell your son to chuck his passport in the bin on the way back from holidays and he will have a free house in 4 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

All I am saying ... is my son will take a free house if government is giving out free houses. Where does he put down his name. What gives a person from Nigeria who arrived on a ferry 4 months ago the right to a house over my son??

They never paid a penny into the system yet can draw from it straight away, I don't blame young people for not wanting to work in this country, you get nothing for being an honest worker

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Possibly because the voices for raving right wing lunatics are usually raving right wing lunatics :pac:

Couldn't resist, but in all honesty, I would love to hear a robust eloquent argument for all viewpoints put to scrutiny by all possible viewpoints, in a reasoned and informed discussion. Chances of that happening are slim to 0

I am reasonable and informed.

Genuine refugees are welcome.

We have two schemes already to accept thousands of refugees, great.

The numbers are 4,000 + 2,900.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Irish_Refugee_Protection_Programme_(IRPP)

While we should be, and are, very welcoming to genuine refugees, we should not welcome bogus AS.

The vast majority of AS who arrive at the ports/airports are bogus.

We should process their claims quickly, it is unfair to them to leave them waiting.

Therefore, we should aim to process their claims within 24hrs at the port/airport, or within a week at the latest.

They should be housed in the port of entry.

If they arrive with no travel docs, then they destroyed the docs themselves, so they should be deported that day.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Roderic O' Gorman is not to be trusted.
    In light of him doing the rounds on our GroupThink mainstream media today and repeating the fallacy that his plan has universal approval, I contacted all of the sitting TDs in my constituency to confirm that this was not the case, and I vehemently disagreed with this immoral plan to house asylum seekers in a manner that will result in Irish people becoming homeless.

I encourage others who do not agree with this plan to write a quick email to all of your TDs to express your sentiments. Otherwise, they too will believe O' Gorman's lies.

:D

I'm enjoying this too much.

Can you repost your email here. I think it would be great if we could all see what you wrote. Some might find great comedic value out of it but I am sure some would find it inspiring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Look up Twitter. Many End Dp etc accounts are already complaining that the White Paper doesn’t go far enough. Govt have made a big mistake bending to their will. They’ll never be happy.

Many of these accounts are now calling for unprocessed asylum claims to be given leave to remain. Effectively, bypassing the application process. What could possibly go wrong?

In another Member State, the idea would most likely never get off the ground. The problem is here, with enough NGOs and enough hashtag enthusiasts, you could eventually see this being discussed as a serious proposal within government.

Jesus can rte just report the news without the touchy feely nonsense.

The usual pull at the heartstrings nonsense, like that "new to the parish" column by that hack journalist..

If your son was in that situation you wouldn't want us to help?

You sound like a great parent.

I'd imagine they'd look to the welfare of their own first, anything left over to be shared fairly and to the deserving.
    Like all rational parents.
    Not seeing ones children mugged off by chancers is a pretty inate behavior.
    Youd want some self loathing to see it otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

If your son was in that situation you wouldn't want us to help?

You sound like a great parent.

We are helping.... they getting free accommodation and 3 full meals a day. Where do we now have a responsibility to give them 3 bed semis.

Why should my taxes now pay for their house .... whose taxes are going to house my son

They never paid a penny into the system yet can draw from it straight away, I don't blame young people for not wanting to work in this country, you get nothing for being an honest worker

I seem to have gotten quite a bit for being an honest worker.

• Advertisement

Working for an NGO isn't honest work :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Geuze wrote: »
    I am reasonable and informed.

Genuine refugees are welcome.

We have two schemes already to accept thousands of refugees, great.

The numbers are 4,000 + 2,900.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Irish_Refugee_Protection_Programme_(IRPP)

While we should be, and are, very welcoming to genuine refugees, we should not welcome bogus AS.

The vast majority of AS who arrive at the ports/airports are bogus.

We should process their claims quickly, it is unfair to them to leave them waiting.

Therefore, we should aim to process their claims within 24hrs at the port/airport, or within a week at the latest.

They should be housed in the port of entry.

If they arrive with no travel docs, then they destroyed the docs themselves, so they should be deported that day.

This seems very much like common sense.

Can anyone explain why it's a bad idea to do the above?

We are helping.... they getting free accommodation and 3 full meals a day. Where do we now have a responsibility to give them 3 bed semis.

Why should my taxes now pay for their house .... whose taxes are going to house my son

Are you saying you'd like your son to enter the Direct Provision system? How would he feel about that considering the reports of the standard of living in them?

Funny to watch you the last few pages literally jizzing in your pants to what amounts to a complete scam and insult to Irish people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Don't forget that it's not just 5,000 or so asylum seekers to house independently in 2024, but it is at least 5,000 asylum seekers every year indefinitely going forward, as this was part of the NGO report. We will need a dedicated government department just for the own home housing of the tens of thousands of asylum seekers in the coming years. Not to mention, the enormous welfare cost associated with these numbers.

Are you saying you'd like your son to enter the Direct Provision system? How would he feel about that considering the reports of the standard of living in them?

This reminds me of someone...

Pete Moss wrote: »
    Many of these accounts are now calling for unprocessed asylum claims to be given leave to remain. Effectively, bypassing the application process. What could possibly go wrong?

In another Member State, the idea would most likely never get off the ground. The problem is here, with enough NGOs and enough hashtag enthusiasts, you could eventually see this being discussed as a serious proposal within government.

They are right we should just let everyone in, on direct government sponsored flights.... while perusing zero covid.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Roderic O' Gorman is not to be trusted.
    In light of him doing the rounds on our GroupThink mainstream media today and repeating the fallacy that his plan has universal approval, .

If the bill reaches the Dail in it's current form it will pass.

All SF TD's, unless one or two of them take a stand, for which they will be booted out as two of them were over abortion
    All PBP AAA TD's
    All Greens
    A good cohort of gobshiet left leaning from the establishment two like McEntee and Flanagan
    Likely a couple of independents will vote against it (Grealish, Verona Murphy, possible Healy Raes)

I haven't got the seat figures to hand, but bar a mass rebellion of SF lads suddenly remembering they were elected to tackle a housing crisis, this one is a dead cert.

I plan to buy a house within five years. Some lad in Lagos will just be given one in the same timeframe, funded by my work towards a deposit in the same period.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭enricoh

This seems very much like common sense.

Can anyone explain why it's a bad idea to do the above?

It's a very bad idea if you're employed as part of the ngo gravy train!

enricoh wrote: »
    It's a very bad idea if you're employed as part of the ngo gravy train!

Ill be very clear **** the NGOs (all 300k of them) especially the human trafficking ones....

Sure might as well let them and NPHET run the country at the moment, save us money on TD expenses.

• Advertisement

All SF TD's, unless one or two of them take a stand, for which they will be booted out as two of them were over abortion
    All PBP AAA TD's
    All Greens
    A good cohort of gobshiet left leaning from the establishment two like McEntee and Flanagan
    Likely a couple of independents will vote against it (Grealish, Verona Murphy, possible Healy Raes)

I haven't got the seat figures to hand, but bar a mass rebellion of SF lads suddenly remembering they were elected to tackle a housing crisis, this one is a dead cert.

I plan to buy a house within five years.
    Some lad in Lagos will just be given one in the same timeframe, funded by my work towards a deposit in the same period.
    Funny forget the FF equity scheme which will drive prices up even further, so rather than 5, make that 8.

Can anyone explain how this is paid for? What are our finances like at the moment? Is there anywhere online to get our income/expenditure breakdown for the last few years?

We seem to be throwing money at everything. Essential stuff like PUP I can understand, but optional things (like this own-door-in-4 policy) seem to be getting tacked on a lot, too. Social Welfare recipients are not being encouraged back into the workplace - the opposite is happening, where you're being offered free housing and such. Whereas the working citizens are surely looking at a lot of whats been going on the last few years and wondering how it'll be paid for.

Surely tax rates have to skyrocket at some point in the next few years? Has Micheal Martin discovered a pot of gold in the Dail somewhere? We seem to be in Sinn Fein 'magic money tree' territory the last few years, and I'm genuinely wondering how we're doing it?

Don't forget that it's not just 5,000 or so asylum seekers to house independently in 2024, but it is at least 5,000 asylum seekers every year indefinitely going forward, as this was part of the NGO report. We will need a dedicated government department just for the own home housing of the tens of thousands of asylum seekers in the coming years. Not to mention, the enormous welfare cost associated with these numbers.

If they're is anything good about this proposal is that it's so generous that is likely the scheme will collapse within a year or two of it starting. Once word goes out that the Irish are giving away free houses, this scheme will be swamped.

Ill be very clear **** the NGOs (all 300k of them) especially the human trafficking ones....

Sure might as well let them and NPHET run the country at the moment, save us money on TD expenses.

Day in Day out.... Look at them go!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Can anyone explain how this is paid for? What are our finances like at the moment? Is there anywhere online to get our income/expenditure breakdown for the last few years?

We seem to be throwing money at everything. Essential stuff like PUP I can understand, but optional things (like this own-door-in-4 policy) seem to be getting tacked on a lot, too. Social Welfare recipients are not being encouraged back into the workplace - the opposite is happening, where you're being offered free housing and such. Whereas the working citizens are surely looking at a lot of whats been going on the last few years and wondering how it'll be paid for.

Surely tax rates have to skyrocket at some point in the next few years? Has Micheal Martin discovered a pot of gold in the Dail somewhere? We seem to be in Sinn Fein 'magic money tree' territory the last few years, and I'm genuinely wondering how we're doing it?

They don't know either and NGO's don't care as they're on the government payroll. Magic money pays all of them.

It's very strange living in a country with no actual oppositon.seems like all the main parties agree on pretty much everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Do you think anyone in the Green Party actually cares where the money comes from as long as it keeps their fluffy voters happy.

Probably put a new tax on certain colour cars to help pay for it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

All PBP AAA TD's
    All Greens

I plan to buy a house within five years. Some lad in Lagos will just be given one in the same timeframe, funded by my work towards a deposit in the same period.

The opposition parties are all expected to wave it through - maybe even 'improve it' with even more egregious kicks in the balls and gadgets for citizens.
    It's the govt parties pressure needs to be applied to, forget the Greens - focus on FF and FG, particularly FF.
    Although, no harm in contacting your local woke-on-the-fence Shinner, every little help counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

If they're is anything good about this proposal is that it's so generous that is likely the scheme will collapse within a year or two of it starting. Once word goes out that the Irish are giving away free houses, this scheme will be swamped.
    Unfortunately, for the Irish, it will take longer than that. To suggest any changes to the existing flawed asylum system with numerous appeals and near-zero deportations, our elected officials will have to get used to being called "racist". Once they overcome the constant accusation of racism for trying to change the system, momentum will eventually occur, but by then there will be irreparable damage.

What is really sad about all of this is not only will Irish people be made homeless in order for this plan to work, but young Irish people will also have to emigrate as a direct result of this plan's requirement for own-home housing for asylum seekers within 4 months of arriving in Ireland. Ironically, the Irish people starting their new lives will be required to pay for their lodging, as it will not be handed to them by the tax payers of their host country.

• Advertisement

Funny to watch you the last few pages literally jizzing in your pants to what amounts to a complete scam and insult to Irish people

I didn't expect people to be arguing that they'd throw their own son into a Direct Provision center. I wouldn't call that the best parenting myself but each to their own...

Advertisement