Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    The opposition parties are all expected to wave it through - maybe even 'improve it' with even more egregious kicks in the balls and gadgets for citizens.
    It's the govt parties pressure needs to be applied to, forget the Greens - focus on FF and FG, particularly FF.
    Although, no harm in contacting your local woke-on-the-fence Shinner, every little help counts.

FF and FG will be 100% in support of this.

I didn't expect people to be arguing that they'd throw their own son into a Direct Provision center. I wouldn't call that the best parenting myself but each to their own...

Except nobody did.

I didn't expect people to be arguing that they'd throw their own son into a Direct Provision center. I wouldn't call that the best parenting myself but each to their own...

I've reported your posts, and hope a ban will ensue. You add absolutely nothing to discussion, opting instead to try and deliberately troll the thread and insult other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Kivaro wrote: »
    Unfortunately, for the Irish, it will take longer than that. To suggest any changes to the existing flawed asylum system with numerous appeals and near-zero deportations, our elected officials will have to get used to being called "racist". Once they overcome the constant accusation of racism for trying to change the system, momentum will eventually occur, but by then there will be irreparable damage.

What is really sad about all of this is not only will Irish people be made homeless in order for this plan to work, but young Irish people will also have to emigrate as a direct result of this plan's requirement for own-home housing for asylum seekers within 4 months of arriving in Ireland. Ironically, the Irish people starting their new lives will be required to pay for their lodging, as it will not be handed to them by the tax payers of their host country.
    Own door housing for 5000 AS will cost in excess of 1bn per year and that's just with current volumes of applicants.

When word gets out about this scheme who knows how high it will go. Remember DP was originally introduced as a way to control the application numbers because the old system (not all that different from the proposed) for completely overwhelmed - processing at the peak about 12k per year.

Own door accommodation and the right to work, why would you bother going any other route?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭enricoh

Corporation tax and multinationals paypackets is paying for the largesse kkv. Threats to corpo tax arise every few years n we escape unscathed. It's threatened again at the mo n we need another houdini act, if not things will get bumpy fast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

I've reported your posts, and hope a ban will ensue. You add absolutely nothing to discussion, opting instead to try and deliberately troll the thread and insult other posters.

Please keep on topic. We have a monumental occasion here in Direct Provision finally being abolished for something better. No need to derail the topic with personal attacks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Please keep on topic. We have a monumental occasion here in Direct Provision finally being abolished for something better. No need to derail the topic with personal attacks.

What a dose :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,579 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The whatsapp groups in Africa and Asia will be hopping when news that this soft mark country got even easier to take advantage of.

O Gorman was talking about it this evening and he said there would be no capon the amount of people that can come claiming asylum and this will cost hundreds of millions of euros.

Doubt many of them will be housed in the leafy suburbs where Green Party voters live though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

If they're is anything good about this proposal is that it's so generous that is likely the scheme will collapse within a year or two of it starting. Once word goes out that the Irish are giving away free houses, this scheme will be swamped.

Agreed. This is going to act as a major pull factor with the number of spurious asylum applications increasing exponentially. Strangely, I actually welcome this. The system will indeed collapse within a few years as it becomes overwhelmed.

This inevitable outcome will finally spotlight the borderline insane policies developed by O’Gorman and his ilk, whilst simultaneously forcing a realistic debate on asylum seeking, immigration, and the future demographics of this country. Throughout the first two decades of the 21st century, Ireland has been subject to an unending drip feed of dubious non-EU immigration; all dissenting voices have been ruthlessly suppressed. This scenario will cause the dam to finally break as the Irish public witnesses firsthand, the lunacy of our leadership, directed by an unelected, nebulous NGO sector.

For those who recall the 2004 referendum on jus soli citizenship, the trigger for the vote was asylum counts spiking above 10K annually from 2001-2003. This ‘scheme’ will almost certainly generate even higher counts. I for one, welcome the future backlash against our inherently flawed immigration system and the follies of the political class.

Bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

ya know what,im in mid 40's now, and im tired. i could not afford a house in my home town, not even close,and ive worked full time since 18,decent job. every election,promises made, lies told,scams everywhere ,all for the betterment of those well off ,those in power,even local politicians are the same...follow the money,its not a vocation,its a cash grab..long term cash grab,our cash.

own a cheaper car? pay more tax,pay more insurance..

new car,cheap tax,cheap insurance .. benefitting who? exactly.

same with health insurance, the majority paying the smaller premiums aren't covered for the stuff on the higher premiums,but the majority pay for the stuff the higher premiums buys.. benefitting who? exactly.

this whole country is rigged to screw the middle,it really is,and im tired of it.

there isnt a trustworthy politician in this land,all have agendas.

the people we let in,call us racists for housing and feeding them,our government tells us we need to do more for them.

do more for us for fcuks sake,forget spending a cent on anything not involving our countries people,our youth.. we come first !!

make it so we can afford to live here without massive struggles,our kids can,then we can think about others ,not until then.

i heard on the radio today that funding for abuse victims,mental health often relies on donations ,and there are 18 months plus waiting lists..

this is a crime in my eyes, against our people. made me so angry, and today this.. that irish person,was abused,raped,assaulted,needs help....we will help a tiny bit,but could take 2 years..

that asylum seeker.. we will look after everything for them within 4 months...and they will complain eventually.

im so tired of this continuous scam against us.

rant/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭enricoh

It's very strange living in a country with no actual oppositon.seems like all the main parties agree on pretty much everything.

If u get voted out in the next election tis great to have a few friends in the ngo's to give you a leading role. The likes of the independent tds collins and grealish speaking up for the ordinary paddy may keep getting elected as they're toxic to the ngo's!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Indeed. It will be monumental, but quite possibly not for the reasons you are salivating about.

Watch this space.

The whatsapp groups in Africa and Asia will be hopping when news that this soft mark country got even easier to take advantage of.

O Gorman was talking about it this evening and he said there would be no capon the amount of people that can come claiming asylum and this will cost hundreds of millions of euros.

Doubt many of them will be housed in the leafy suburbs where Green Party voters live though.

Matt didn't exactly put him through his paces.
    The whole point of there being no cap was hurriedly glossed over, and after a few years we'll be at square one with DP 2.0 running beside this sh1tfest.

By all means I'd love to see people not staying in DP as long.
    Apply:
    Pass- stay.
    Fail- straight to the airport.

No documents: cheerio
    Lying in application: cheerio
    Commit crime: cheerio.

Put in a decent shift, and respect local culture? welcome to Ireland.

enricoh wrote: »
    If u get voted out in the next election tis great to have a few friends in the ngo's to give you a leading role. The likes of the independent tds collins and grealish speaking up for the ordinary paddy may keep getting elected as they're toxic to the ngo's!

Collins is loved down in West Cork. He calls out Sinn Fein and Social Democrats all the time for not representing the Irish voters

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The fact that it makes millions for private interests is definitely abhorrent but if people didn't have years and years of appeals, would DP really be that horrific?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Do you know what.

When you think of the future of this country is quite depressing.

Already 60% of people waiting on social housing are non nationals. Some of them are genuine and contribute but sadly the stats show a huge majority don't.

Now this idea.

Dread to think what it will be like in 10 years.

When did this madness take off, celtic tiger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

Do you know what.

When you think of the future of this country is quite depressing.

Already 60% of people waiting on social housing are non nationals. Some of them are genuine and contribute but sadly the stats show a huge majority don't.

Now this idea.

Dread to think what it will be like in 10 years.

When did this madness take off, celtic tiger?

This country is fcuked... Words from my 80 year grand father yesterday

The fact that it makes millions for private interests is definitely abhorrent but if people didn't have years and years of appeals, would DP really be that horrific?

It's a scam.
    The same people DP centre owners ( party members / donors / landlords ) will still make a killing from this new protection system.
    They always will.
    The taxpayer always gets screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

Hamachi wrote: »
    Indeed. It will be monumental, but quite possibly not for the reasons you are salivating about.

Watch this space.

You are on the wrong side of public opinion unfortunately. This is what Irish people want and fair play to the government for finally getting rid of Direct Provision. I don't see a few oddballs on twitter and forums having much of an impact on what the general population overwhelmingly wants. It feels nice to have an echo chamber though so I don't begrudge people on the wrong side to have their rants online.

statesaver wrote: »
    It's a scam.
    The same people DP centre owners ( party members / donors / landlords ) will still make a killing from this new protection system.
    They always will.
    The taxpayer always gets screwed.

Read a post earlier on politics.ie that said DP providers are in discussion with the government for their facilities to be used for homeless services now. No idea if true but would make sense, otherwise they probably wouldn't agree to end the current system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

You are on the wrong side of public opinion unfortunately. This is what Irish people want and fair play to the government for finally getting rid of Direct Provision. I don't see a few oddballs on twitter and forums having much of an impact on what the general population overwhelmingly wants. It feels nice to have an echo chamber though so I don't begrudge people on the wrong side to have their rants online.

Doubt they will feel the same when their kids have to move far away as they can't afford a house near them as an asylum seeker got it instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Read a post earlier on politics.ie that said DP providers are in discussion with the government for their facilities to be used for homeless services now. No idea if true but would make sense, otherwise they probably wouldn't agree to end the current system.

Even better. DP centres are so bad the government are pushed to not host people whove contributed nothing to the country. Own own Irish homeless, yup, it's fine for ye

I definitely move in different circles to you because I don't know anyone who supports what is going on :) I only know people who are getting more and more annoyed with what they see as wide scale abuses of our immigration laws and hospitality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Funny to watch you the last few pages literally jizzing in your pants to what amounts to a complete scam and insult to Irish people

Ah now,c'mon that's a bit harsh...the chap's pants are a-jizzing because it seems the Government has cured (or tired of) Covid .....:eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,326 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its actually awful day for genuine Refugees, especially women and children fleeing wars who need our help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Can anyone explain how this is paid for? What are our finances like at the moment? Is there anywhere online to get our income/expenditure breakdown for the last few years?

We seem to be throwing money at everything. Essential stuff like PUP I can understand, but optional things (like this own-door-in-4 policy) seem to be getting tacked on a lot, too. Social Welfare recipients are not being encouraged back into the workplace - the opposite is happening, where you're being offered free housing and such. Whereas the working citizens are surely looking at a lot of whats been going on the last few years and wondering how it'll be paid for.

Surely tax rates have to skyrocket at some point in the next few years? Has Micheal Martin discovered a pot of gold in the Dail somewhere? We seem to be in Sinn Fein 'magic money tree' territory the last few years, and I'm genuinely wondering how we're doing it?

Were the country version of the guy down the road who buys everything on his credit card and has no idea how to repay it. We're massively in debt as a country and rising every day. It'll explode eventually and we'll be fcuked but the government will still get their pensions so they don't give a sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I definitely move in different circles to you because I don't know anyone who supports what is going on :) I only know people who are getting more and more annoyed with what they see as wide scale abuses of our immigration laws and hospitality.

The poster may be located in North-Africa,where Ireland (Republic of) is rapidly climbing the list of desirable locations for yer holliers.......:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Its actually awful day for genuine Refugees, especially women and children fleeing wars who need our help.

Imagine if a journalist said this to O'Gorman? His head would explode....

From what I see on the news it's men who are fleeing wars.

It is a bad day for genuine refugees I agree 100%.

• Advertisement

Already 60% of people waiting on social housing are non nationals.

WTF?

Advertisement