Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

If anything comes from this debacle today is the demonstration (again) of how damaging the Green Party is to the ordinary person in this country. They are really wreaking havoc on us. I voted for the Green Party in the past for environmental and sustainability reasons; not for polices like these. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I quite like fanta, brought to us from the guys who developed ballistic missiles, modern computers and industrial genocide.

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

I definitely move in different circles to you because I don't know anyone who supports what is going on :) I only know people who are getting more and more annoyed with what they see as wide scale abuses of our immigration laws and hospitality.

Me neither, anyone I talked to today was seething over this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

You are on the wrong side of public opinion unfortunately. This is what Irish people want and fair play to the government for finally getting rid of Direct Provision. I don't see a few oddballs on twitter and forums having much of an impact on what the general population overwhelmingly wants. It feels nice to have an echo chamber though so I don't begrudge people on the wrong side to have their rants online.

Most people want direct provision gone but if you put this plan to a public vote I doubt it would pass. How can we afford to house all these people. We already know most of them aren’t genuinely fleeing from an unsafe country. Many have already been rejected from other European countries. Then add in the housing crisis. Many people in this country in their 20’s and 30’s will never afford to buy their own homes due to high rents. Now they will have further competition for homes.
    Then factor in what our economy is facing post covid. Also many people pro immigration also feel strongly that mass immigration is not a good idea for social cohesion.
    Yes DP needed to go but this plan is not the best solution for Irish Taxpayers and will be a huge draw so we will likely be overwhelmed with huge numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

statesaver wrote: »
    From what I see on the news it's men who are fleeing wars.

Often,it's the same "Men" who started and fought in these wars....

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

Imagine if a journalist said this to O'Gorman? His head would explode....

I think he'd probably consider it to be a very weird comment, as would most sane people.

Me neither, anyone I talked to today was seething over this

I think that must be indicative of the company we both keep.

As I said, I really don't begrudge people who are on the wrong side of overwhelming public opinion a chance to vent in their own echo chambers online. It is quite entertaining to see the meltdown happening from this side of the fence though I have to say :D

I think he'd probably consider it to be a very weird comment, as would most sane people.

I disagree, we are spending hundreds of millions of Euros on thousands of people every single year, the vast majority who fail to qualify for asylum. That money takes away from our ability to look after genuine asylum seekers and refugees. It's tax payers money, it doesn't come from the magic money tree

• Registered Users Posts: 13,837 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Great for progressives activists etc, great for the middle class and corporate capital.

The buy to let's will be paid off by the State before Papa leaves it to them in the will and buying property for the purpose of renting to refugees will really drive up prices in working class areas and put a floor under falling rents.

Add in that when word gets out that after 4 months in Ireland you get a house and this will drive the Refugee industry to new heights.

The homeless and working class are so passé for the modern left, so lower spectrum and boring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Read a post earlier on politics.ie that said DP providers are in discussion with the government for their facilities to be used for homeless services now. No idea if true but would make sense, otherwise they probably wouldn't agree to end the current system.

Golden circle politics.

• Advertisement

As I said, I really don't begrudge people who are on the wrong side of overwhelming public opinion a chance to vent in their own echo chambers online. It is quite entertaining to see the meltdown happening from this side of the fence though I have to say :D

Indeed, I'm glad we move in different circles :) I don't see anyone here having a meltdown, people are just posting opinions opposite to yours.

mohawk wrote: »
    Most people want direct provision gone but if you put this plan to a public vote I doubt it would pass.

This seems like a silly statement considering who the Irish public have voted for in elections. History just doesn't support your narrative does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,326 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I disagree, we are spending hundreds of millions of Euros on thousands of people every single year, the vast majority who fail to qualify for asylum. That money takes away from our ability to look after genuine asylum seekers and refugees. It's tax payers money, it doesn't come from the magic money tree

You're right, but

Sadly the poster you replied to can't see the bigger picture and won't like the facts get in the way. I would not bother

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

This seems like a silly statement considering who the Irish public have voted for in elections. History just doesn't support your narrative does it?

No one voted on this.

We were not asked.

Nope I work in a job dealing with the public, it was overwhelming negative, you need to get out of the NGO offices more...
    Do you really think the majority of Irish people are happy about fake refugees being handed accommodation over Irish people in the midst of a housing and homeless crisis? Lay off the gear

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

This is pie in the sky stuff, its unworkable

The housing is not there!

Perhaps it's a move towards a more fair robust asylum process

• Registered Users Posts: 16,579 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Matt didn't exactly put him through his paces.
    The whole point of there being no cap was hurriedly glossed over, and after a few years we'll be at square one with DP 2.0 running beside this sh1tfest.

By all means I'd love to see people not staying in DP as long.
    Apply:
    Pass- stay.
    Fail- straight to the airport.

No documents: cheerio
    Lying in application: cheerio
    Commit crime: cheerio.

Put in a decent shift, and respect local culture? welcome to Ireland.

Cooper was never going to put any tough questions to him, but sure neither would anyone from RTE either when this issue comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Kivaro wrote: »
    If anything comes from this debacle today is the demonstration (again) of how damaging the Green Party is to the ordinary person in this country. They are really wreaking havoc on us. I voted for the Green Party in the past for environmental and sustainability reasons; not for polices like these. Never again.

The days of the GP being a force for environmental good are all but gone. They're full on intersectional wokists now. Beyond saving.

Nope I work in a job dealing with the public, it was overwhelming negative, you need to get out of the NGO offices more...
    Do you really think the majority of Irish people are happy about fake refugees being handed accommodation over Irish people in the midst of a housing and homeless crisis? Lay off the gear

Strange post. Accusing me of being on gear isn't really relevant to the thread topic. I understand it's tough to come to terms with the fact that you are in the doldrums in terms of your opinion in relation to the vast majority of the Irish public but there is no need to get personal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Why would NGOs be better at providing accommodation than people who do so professionally? You wouldn't ask a hotel manager to deliver a lecture on critical race theory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

You will find that this is the common denominator for most people who completely disagrees with this unsustainable DP replacement. It is easy to be pro-spend tax payer money when you are not contributing to it, or have a vested interest in the lucrative asylum industry.

statesaver wrote: »
    No one voted on this.

We were not asked.

I'm not sure you have comprehended the posts you've replied to as you've responded to something that was never actually said?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,837 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

sabat wrote: »
    Why would NGOs be better at providing accommodation than people who do so professionally? You wouldn't ask a hotel manager to deliver a lecture on critical race theory.

The Greens are delivering housing, their voter and activist base are going to ride a State paid buy to let boom.

For the very most of people here, it's a massive disaster.

Strange post. Accusing me of being on gear isn't really relevant to the thread topic. I understand it's tough to come to terms with the fact that you are in the doldrums in terms of your opinion in relation to the vast majority of the Irish public but there is no need to get personal.

It kind of is seen as you seem to be completely out of touch with the general opinion in Ireland... But sure you already knew that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

You are on the wrong side of public opinion unfortunately. This is what Irish people want and fair play to the government for finally getting rid of Direct Provision. I don't see a few oddballs on twitter and forums having much of an impact on what the general population overwhelmingly wants. It feels nice to have an echo chamber though so I don't begrudge people on the wrong side to have their rants online.

Can you point to one piece of data that suggests that the Irish public 'overwhelmingly' supports own door accommodation within four months of arrival into this country? 'Course you can't because it doesn't exist anywhere outside your head.

Like I said, looking forward to seeing this flawed policy implemented. It will inevitably force a long overdue national conversation. Monumental indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

It's giant gravy train involving hoteliers , lawyers , NGOs and politicians . They're nothing but parasites . All paid for by us idiots . I'm sure labour are hoping for the immigrant vote in the future like they do in England . Irish people know what a bunch of clowns the labour party are

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The fact that it makes millions for private interests is definitely abhorrent but if people didn't have years and years of appeals, would DP really be that horrific?

It's still cheaper than the government running the system directly.
    For genuine asylum seekers, DP is way better than what they have come through. E.g. Syrians coming from tent camps. It's the economic migrants that are making all the noise though.

We should proactively prioritize genuine asylum seekers and families in particular. Send anyone back otherwise who doesn't have definitive proof of being persecuted. By doing so we could make Asylum a positive story here, by the quicker rejection of people coming from safe countries such as Nigeria.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

The only people who benefit from this are the politicians who pat themselves on the back and give the impression they’re doing something, the hoteliers and accommodation owners who are raking it in, and the idiotic crowd who insist on putting others before their own citizens.

Where are these houses/apartments going to be built? If they can find accommodation for foreigners/genuine refugees or not, why is it impossible to hone our own?
    And people are going to want to be accommodated in large towns etc not the country side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

To anybody who feels that this bill is misdirected, it's worth shooting off a quick e-mail to your public representatives, outlining your opposition to Roderic O' Gorman's flawed policy.

Ostensibly, the political class exist to serve the people. We live in democracy and you're entitled to have your voice heard. Change only comes when the people articulate their concerns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

WTF?

I was curious enough to gather this information and calculate a few things.

So it's approximately 24% of all people on the national housing list that are non-irish citizens. Basically 1 in 4, to state the obvious.

That's the national average but some areas are quite shocking.

But of course that's using the term "Irish citizen", which would include the approximately 10 thousand new Irish naturalisations each year.

This direct provision proposal is playing with fire considering where the economy is going to be soon. If, for arguments sake, 1 in every 4 homes being built is for the benefit of other countries, then 1 in 4 of those homes won't be missed if they fall foul of accidents and such.

Somethings going to snap eventually, it's only a matter of when.

Advertisement