Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Do we have a country of origin breakdown of people who have been in direct provision for years?

• Registered Users Posts: 52,009 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

This is madness.
    The floodgates will open.
    How many countries will these asylum seekers pass through to get here?
    Who is behind this madness?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Gradius wrote: »
    I was curious enough to gather this information and calculate a few things.

So it's approximately 24% of all people on the national housing list that are non-irish citizens. Basically 1 in 4, to state the obvious.

That's the national average but some areas are quite shocking.

If I remember correctly at one point fingal housing list was 70% non nationals

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭munster87

House all of our own citizens first ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Wii776

This is madness.
    The floodgates will open.
    How many countries will these asylum seekers pass through to get here?
    Who is behind this madness?

Well at the moment, Roderic o Gorman is the face and main proponent of it. As a constituent of his, I am disgusted that the people who are supposed to be representing my and my families interests , are so actively working against them.

I am genuinely angry. I run a small business, and had held hope of eventually being able to buy a home and have some security, not having to worry about rising rent, or landlord kicking us out for whatever reason. Not having to worry about moving kids schools, if we could even get places etc.

I honestly think I'll pack it in and go on the scratcher.

**** o Gorman, the NGOs, and the horses they rode in on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

It's funny what a bit of research brings up. Easily accessible too.

29% of pup payments go to non-citizens, 10% goes to non EU citizens.

It's good to be aware of the state of things. I'm sure there's a lot more eyebrow raising things that are actually quite well hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Wii776 wrote: »
    Well at the moment, Roderic o Gorman is the face and main proponent of it. As a constituent of his, I am disgusted that the people who are supposed to be representing my and my families interests , are so actively working against them.

I am genuinely angry. I run a small business, and had held hope of eventually being able to buy a home and have some security, not having to worry about rising rent, or landlord kicking us out for whatever reason. Not having to worry about moving kids schools, if we could even get places etc.

I honestly think I'll pack it in and go on the scratcher.

**** o Gorman, the NGOs, and the horses they rode in on

I live in the constituency too and am quite perturbed by Roderic O' Gorman's misstep here. I've e-mailed the other TDs in the constituency voicing my opposition to this policy. I urge you to do like. Happy to PM you my e-mail body if you wish to voice your concerns.

Hamachi wrote: »
    I live in the constituency too and am quite perturbed by Roderic O' Gorman's misstep here. I've e-mailed the other TDs in the constituency voicing my opposition to this policy. I urge you to do like. Happy to PM you my e-mail body if you wish to voice your concerns.

Fair play for emailing them. Going on past experiences you won't hear anything on these issues from them. Still worth making your voice heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

The problem isn't Direct Provision. The problem is the lawyers from the Asylum Industry who make a fortune lodging appeal after appeal after appeal against the state yet all paid for by the state. Every interview with someone complaining about how long they are in direct provision should be forced to include a question on how many times they have appealed a deportation order. Direct provision is designed to accommodate the small number of genuine asylum seekers who come to Ireland. But those poor souls have been swamped by hundreds of economic migrants and their army of lawyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Kivaro wrote: »
    If anything comes from this debacle today is the demonstration (again) of how damaging the Green Party is to the ordinary person in this country. They are really wreaking havoc on us. I voted for the Green Party in the past for environmental and sustainability reasons; not for polices like these. Never again.

Why single out The Green Party?

Long list of parties who support this,the entire media class ,academia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,579 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

O Gorman was very vague on how this actually physically gets done, we don't have enough houses for the people already on the list so unless he knows something the rest of us don't this is going to be a complete mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Hamachi wrote: »
    To anybody who feels that this bill is misdirected, it's worth shooting off a quick e-mail to your public representatives, outlining your opposition to Roderic O' Gorman's flawed policy.

Ostensibly, the political class exist to serve the people. We live in democracy and you're entitled to have your voice heard. Change only comes when the people articulate their concerns.

Let's see. My 4 TDs are Martin, Coveney, McGrath and O Laoghaire. Not sure I have an option here sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Can anyone explain how this is paid for? What are our finances like at the moment? Is there anywhere online to get our income/expenditure breakdown for the last few years?

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/gfsa/governmentfinancestatisticsoctober2020/

Public budget data to 2019 here.

End 2019 = 204bn public debt.

2020 looks like a 20 bn deficit and maybe 230bn debt.

titan18 wrote: »
    Let's see. My 4 TDs are Martin, Coveney, McGrath and O Laoghaire. Not sure I have an option here sadly.

Haha, both Cork South Central and Cork North Central are brutal unfortunately. SF's O'Laoghaire is loved in working class communities in South Central by people who would be very concerned by immigration levels. It's hard to figure it out but it is what it is for now. I suppose they skillfully don't really discuss it in public and people are too busy to look in to their policies.

Edit to say, I'm convinced the SF surge in the polls is nothing to do with their open immigration policies but rather a deep hatred and subsequent reaction against a lifetime of FF/FG governments. If they do get into government they'll lose a lot of support very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Homelander

O Gorman was very vague on how this actually physically gets done, we don't have enough houses for the people already on the list so unless he knows something the rest of us don't this is going to be a complete mess.

I'm surprised at how little attention has been given to the workings of it so far and all the focus has been on how bad Direct Provision is for those who go through it, regardless of whether they are genuine or not.

My overwhelming question is how is a guaranteed 4 month stay in a reception centre before being given your own home/room compatiable with a brutal housng crisis and extensive housing lists in local authorities.

How is this supposed to work without radical overhaul of the current processing regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

I emailed my td's about it. Let's see what they have to say about it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Why single out The Green Party?

Long list of parties who support this,the entire media class ,academia
    Roderic O' Gorman threatened us last year that it was going to happen.
    And it was the Green Party's number 1 issue for their program for government when they joined the government coalition.
    This policy was spearheaded by O' Gorman and the way he is lying today about the overwhelming support for the plan, as he hogged the spotlight all day on promoting these free own home housing for anyone and everyone (except the Irish). And don't forget he is now working on an apology by the Irish people for Direct Provision. Imagine that? The country provides people who are supposedly fleeing war and famine with a roof over their heads, food, security, healthcare etc. all for free, and an opportunity to work if they wish to ..... while their asylum applications are being processed.

Apologise for helping them?

Kivaro wrote: »
    Roderic O' Gorman threatened us last year that it was going to happen.
    And it was the Green Party's number 1 issue for their program for government when they joined the government coalition.
    This policy was spearheaded by O' Gorman and the way he is lying today about the overwhelming support for the plan, as he hogged the spotlight all day on promoting these free own home housing for anyone and everyone (except the Irish). And don't forget he is now working on an apology by the Irish people for Direct Provision. Imagine that? The county provides people who are supposedly fleeing war and famine with a roof over their heads, food, security, healthcare etc. all for free, and an opportunity to work if they wish to ..... while their asylum applications are being processed.

Apologise for helping them?

Next up will be a redress scheme :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It's very strange living in a country with no actual oppositon.seems like all the main parties agree on pretty much everything.

Am I mad to think that a reasonable party with reasonable policies would get support:
    • all policies as much as possible, to be pro-worker - improved social insurance, reduced social assistance
    • no marginal tax rate for anybody above 50%, tax reliefs for high earners reduced
    • Healthcare: 12week targets for referral and care (planned by Slaintecare) to be implemented, by reducing waste/duplication, re-configuring hosps, taking on vested interests. Either move to UHI or Slaintecare, so people can drop their insurance
    • a simple 4-point Migration policy:
      (1) encourage Irish migrants to return
      (2) EU migration welcome
      (3) non-EU migration restricted
      (4) bogus AS deported
    • Housing: State intervention to reduce costs, not boost demand, schemes to boost demand abolished, replaced with policies to massively reduce land/site/finance costs and profit margins

Macron in France seemed to start and grow a movement, could something be done here??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Danzy wrote: »
    The Greens are delivering housing, their voter and activist base are going to ride a State paid buy to let boom.

For the very most of people here, it's a massive disaster.

Plus 1 million a day on cycle routes,

How the fu*k can a party with a few micky mouse TDs have so much power.

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »
    Am I mad to think that a reasonable party with reasonable policies would get support:
    • all policies as much as possible, to be pro-worker - improved social insurance, reduced social assistance
    • no marginal tax rate for anybody above 50%, tax reliefs for high earners reduced
    • Healthcare: 12week targets for referral and care (planned by Slaintecare) to be implemented, by reducing waste/duplication, re-configuring hosps, taking on vested interests. Either move to UHI or Slaintecare, so people can drop their insurance
      (2) EU migration welcome
      (4) bogus AS deported
    • Housing: State intervention to reduce costs, not boost demand, schemes to boost demand abolished, replaced with policies to massively reduce land/site/finance costs and profit margins

Macron in France seemed to start and grow a movement, could something be done here??

You'd have my vote with those policies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

You'd have my vote with those policies

Mine too. It’s logical, even-handed and sets the country on a sensible course.

It’s baffling how this is such an anathema to the political class.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

mgn wrote: »
    Plus 1 million a day on cycle routes,

How the fu*k can a party with a few micky mouse TDs have so much power.

Its one way for vehicles all along Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire now replaced with a cycle lane noone uses.

Absolute disgrace what they have shoe horned in.

How have they managed to get so much power?

Hazel Chu the mayor???

Who sanctioned all this?????

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

He's dreadful so that's no surprise

Never actually worked a day in his life, just more feeding of his friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

(2) EU migration welcome
      (4) bogus AS deported

You would expect policies like this from a centre-leaning political party. However, while the Greens concentrate on Direct Provision and migrant camps, Fianna Fail's primary focus is on building social houses. The irony is that not one social house recipient would ever vote for Fianna Fail, and this is obvious in the polls. I have no idea what is going on with Fine Gael, which is a party that should be steering the country towards the centre and away from the left and the cliff edge of disaster. I really believe that the political system in Ireland is broken, as there is not one party in the country that represents the views of working/contributing people.

(2) EU migration welcome
      (4) bogus AS deported

I would vote for it.

We have no opposition now, all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/gfsa/governmentfinancestatisticsoctober2020/

Public budget data to 2019 here.

End 2019 = 204bn public debt.

2020 looks like a 20 bn deficit and maybe 230bn debt.

And interest rates on the rise

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I was always of the belief that all of the "Shared Living" accommodation was for the amnesty given asylum seekers. It's seems like that is for us plebs and the asylum seekers will get the their own accommodation.

Homelander wrote: »
    I'm surprised at how little attention has been given to the workings of it so far and all the focus has been on how bad Direct Provision is for those who go through it, regardless of whether they are genuine or not.

My overwhelming question is how is a guaranteed 4 month stay in a reception centre before being given your own home/room compatiable with a brutal housng crisis and extensive housing lists in local authorities.

How is this supposed to work without radical overhaul of the current processing regime.

This is actually a very interesting check on the objectivity of our media.

They will fail

• Advertisement

Its sickening, the whole thing. It makes me wonder why I bother going to work at all. If any random asylum seeker can get a free house, why the feck am I working to pay for one :(

Advertisement