Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

He's dreadful so that's no surprise

Never actually worked a day in his life, just more feeding of his friends

The worst is that they now have a big European “covid recovery fund” to chuck around and a magic money tree due to ECB bond buying ensuring almost free money, with SF waiting in the wings to take over in a year or two as I can’t see this coalition lasting; I truly worry about this country and for anyone who works for a multinational, and I fear we are about to throw away all the potential benefits of Brexit, both north and south

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You're right lads it's the end of the world as we know it :rolleyes: Has anyone actually said we'll be taking more of them than we used to? I didn't see it in the article.

Hamachi wrote: »
    I live in the constituency too and am quite perturbed by Roderic O' Gorman's misstep here. I've e-mailed the other TDs in the constituency voicing my opposition to this policy. I urge you to do like. Happy to PM you my e-mail body if you wish to voice your concerns.

I'd appreciate that too if it's going!

This news has left me infuriated today.
    I've read through the thread and I really feel that this is the last straw.
    I work, I'll never get a mortgage, I'm paying massive rents. My kids will probably be in the same boat. Even worse in 10/15 years time.
    Where does it end in this country?
    I'll email my local TDs, but we all know where this leads-no where.
    Loads of piissed off tax payers on boards, lots of good points and arguments and then the thread dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I wonder if I would get away with being a Georgian or Albanian asylum seeker, pretend to be mute, deaf and illiterate, and get a free gaff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Wii776

The ordinary working person needs to protest and make their voices heard. This **** is going too far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Haha, both Cork South Central and Cork North Central are brutal unfortunately. SF's O'Laoghaire is loved in working class communities in South Central by people who would be very concerned by immigration levels. It's hard to figure it out but it is what it is for now. I suppose they skillfully don't really discuss it in public and people are too busy to look in to their policies.

Edit to say, I'm convinced the SF surge in the polls is nothing to do with their open immigration policies but rather a deep hatred and subsequent reaction against a lifetime of FF/FG governments. If they do get into government they'll lose a lot of support very quickly

There is as stark a difference between FG and SFs base as SF and it's own base on many issues.

SF are going to have a real reckoning when its base sees how post Nationalism it is, how post working class it is..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I work, I'll never get a mortgage, I'm paying massive rents. My kids will probably be in the same boat. Even worse in 10/15 years time.
    Loads of piissed off tax payers on boards, lots of good points and arguments and then the thread dies.

Like all the Maggie Cash emails that were sent.

Amounted to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Sure. I’ll send it to you later. I mailed Leo Varadkar, Jack Chambers, and Paul Donnelly who represent my constituency. Please do fire off the mails tomorrow.

Like all the Maggie Cash emails that were sent.

Amounted to nothing.

And the upstanding guy who got the luxury apartment in Rathgar.
    Hell I even forget his name...

Sure. I’ll send it to you later. I mailed Leo Varadkar, Jack Chambers, and Paul Donnelly who represent my constituency. Please do fire off the mails tomorrow.

My last comment for the night. Again, fair play with the emails but don't expect a response, they don't care. Still good to let them know you don't support their actions. Goodnight everyone :)

• Advertisement

These are my locals...
    Michael John Crowe (Fianna Fáil)
    Noel Larkin (Independent)
    Declan McDonnell (Independent)
    Terry O'Flaherty (Independent)
    Alan Cheevers
    Owen Hanley (Social Democrats)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm not sure that emails have any effect. If you really want to have a say, you'd need to actually join a party as a member and make your views known.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Kivaro wrote: »
    Roderic O' Gorman threatened us last year that it was going to happen.
    And it was the Green Party's number 1 issue for their program for government when they joined the government coalition.
    This policy was spearheaded by O' Gorman and the way he is lying today about the overwhelming support for the plan, as he hogged the spotlight all day on promoting these free own home housing for anyone and everyone (except the Irish). And don't forget he is now working on an apology by the Irish people for Direct Provision. Imagine that? The country provides people who are supposedly fleeing war and famine with a roof over their heads, food, security, healthcare etc. all for free, and an opportunity to work if they wish to ..... while their asylum applications are being processed.

Apologise for helping them?

its near the top of the priority list for the Soc Dems and Labour as well , bar going into coalition with SF , this issue was always going to be an important component of any coalition arrangement.

the DP issue has been a cornerstone of the WOKE - Progressive lefts agenda for years now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

MadYaker wrote: »
    You're right lads it's the end of the world as we know it :rolleyes: Has anyone actually said we'll be taking more of them than we used to? I didn't see it in the article.

Why would it be in the article? There is a difference between agreeing to take a thousand from an official refugee camp and the up to 10k who arrive claiming asylum and get put straight into the DP system - I reckon the smugglers are delighted with this news, guaranteed western lifestyle with own free house or flat (it will be free) for life.
    Wait till they try to cut the PUP back to €200, that may be a trigger for it kicking off

FG are afraid to speak up on any issue after years of been slated and criticised over every small issue.

Constant negativity, berating etc over everything they ever did.

Same with FF.

It seems the tail is wagging the dog(left parties) nowadays.

Its truly grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

And the upstanding guy who got the luxury apartment in Rathgar.
    Hell I even forget his name...

Tenia Karim
    Tenia Karim
    Tenia Karim
    Tenia Karim

I added some dramatic effect....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Geuze wrote: »
    Am I mad to think that a reasonable party with reasonable policies would get support:
    • all policies as much as possible, to be pro-worker - improved social insurance, reduced social assistance
    • no marginal tax rate for anybody above 50%, tax reliefs for high earners reduced
    • Healthcare: 12week targets for referral and care (planned by Slaintecare) to be implemented, by reducing waste/duplication, re-configuring hosps, taking on vested interests. Either move to UHI or Slaintecare, so people can drop their insurance
    • a simple 4-point Migration policy:
      (1) encourage Irish migrants to return
      (2) EU migration welcome
      (3) non-EU migration restricted
      (4) bogus AS deported
    • Housing: State intervention to reduce costs, not boost demand, schemes to boost demand abolished, replaced with policies to massively reduce land/site/finance costs and profit margins

Macron in France seemed to start and grow a movement, could something be done here??

such a party or even set of ideas by a current party would be strangled at birth by the media

until a vaguely conservative media outlet emerges , nothing will change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

An official state apology to a group that have consistently had rejection rates of around 90% while also having a deportation rate in the low single digits? Has the world gone mad :mad:

jay0109 wrote: »
    An official state apology to a group that have consistently had rejection rates of around 90% while also having a deportation rate in the low single digits? Has the world gone mad :mad:

Just the Paddy's.
    The poor suffering ejits always get the raw end of the stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

All those complaining, rise up and get the incumbents out.
    Of course I'm not talking anything outrageous. Just don't give them your vote. That's all it takes.
    While they placate you with the one hand, they are driving you down with the other. Give someone else a chance and if someone is willing to say they'll campaign against this, then consider them. It's the only way they'll respond and start representing your interests which is what they're supposed to do.

• Advertisement

All those complaining, rise up and get the incumbents out.
    Of course I'm not talking anything outrageous. Just don't give them your vote. That's all it takes.
    While they placate you with the one hand, they are driving you down with the other. Give someone else a chance and if someone is willing to say they'll campaign against this, then consider them. It's the only way they'll respond and start representing your interests which is what they're supposed to do.

Who though?????

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

Wii776 wrote: »
    Well at the moment, Roderic o Gorman is the face and main proponent of it. As a constituent of his, I am disgusted that the people who are supposed to be representing my and my families interests , are so actively working against them.

I am genuinely angry. I run a small business, and had held hope of eventually being able to buy a home and have some security, not having to worry about rising rent, or landlord kicking us out for whatever reason. Not having to worry about moving kids schools, if we could even get places etc.

I honestly think I'll pack it in and go on the scratcher.

**** o Gorman, the NGOs, and the horses they rode in on

:D:D:D

That's terrible language to be using towards an elected TD who is doing a superb job at the moment. The people who have suffered for too long in Direct Provision are celebrating tonight as are the general public. Direct Provision saw people having to go on hunger strikes due to the situation which is really awful and thankfully it's going to be rectified. Irish people tonight are delighted that their country is doing it's part to help people who need the help. Can you not just see the positive? This is a feel good story for the country. Have a glass of wine like I am doing tonight. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I'll just post the content of my email to my local representatives for anybody who wishes to re-use / leverage:

Hello "X",

I'm a constituent of yours, based in Dublin 15. You received my #1 preference in the last general election. Generally, I'm an apolitical person as I'm too busy with family and career obligations to participate. However, I feel compelled to write to you today after reading the media reports that your colleague Roderic O'Gorman, plans to bring forward a bill to grant asylum seekers their 'own door' accommodation, within four months of arriving into this country.

Frankly, I'm appalled at this new direction in immigration policy. The number of legitimate asylum seekers arriving into Ireland today is already known to be < 20%. This flawed policy will inevitably serve as a significant pull factor, generating many more spurious asylum claims. Implementing this policy will cost hundreds of millions of euros, at a time when the nation's finances are in an abysmal state and we are entering a multi-year Covid-induced recession. That's before we even discuss the on-going housing crisis, that has rendered it virtually impossible for Irish people in their 20s and 30s to take their first step on to the housing ladder, and has seen many of our fellow citizens languishing on housing lists for years.

Roderic O' Gorman's policy is unjustifiable and is a slap in the face to the Irish taxpayer. I'll be making all my family, friends, and work colleagues aware of this fundamentally egregious move by Roderic O'Gorman. "X", I would appreciate hearing your take on this situation. If you believe that this bill is inherently flawed and opt to vote against it, I commit that you will have my full support in all future elections and I will ensure that fellow constituents in my circle are aware of your stance here.

Looking forward to your response.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

FG are afraid to speak up on any issue after years of been slated and criticised over every small issue.

Constant negativity, berating etc over everything they ever did.

Same with FF.

It seems the tail is wagging the dog(left parties) nowadays.

Its truly grim.

Can we please stop making excuses for FG, they are the exact same as the others

• Registered Users Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's not a coincidence that O'Gorman went to the London School of Economics and Trinity, Dublin.

Rarefied existence and outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

That's terrible language to be using towards an elected TD who is doing a superb job at the moment. The people who have suffered for too long in Direct Provision are celebrating tonight as are the general public. Direct Provision saw people having to go on hunger strikes due to the situation which is really awful and thankfully it's going to be rectified. Irish people tonight are delighted that their country is doing it's part to help people who need the help. Can you not just see the positive? This is a feel good story for the country. Have a glass of wine like I am doing tonight. :D

Superb?

Go speak to creches, you are a troll

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

I'm seeing some people with a very unhealthy obsession with Roderick. Accusing him of lying and threatening the public is alaming. Roddy has had to put up with a lot since he came into office. The protests and tactics of groups like the National Party and right wing wackjobs were disgusting initially. I hope his security level has been raised. We don't need a Jo Cox situation and it looks like there's plenty of nutters who have it in for him. He's got my support and I've said as much in my email to his office today.

Can we please stop making excuses for FG, they are the exact same as the others

No excuses.

They are hiding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

I spy with my little eye.... I think I've seen you over on twitter ;)

Spewing the same nonsense...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Wii776

You are a crap troll. Honestly. You have an idea of the concept of trolling, and you are trying, but you are really pretty **** at it.
    I'm guessing you are probably mid teens, Male, white, middle class... possibly transition year, probably private school. Smart, but not sporty. Bored and frustrated.

Advertisement