Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I wonder what the CO2 emissions would be like

I would like to see their gas bill for the winter, I bet its double what their neighbours have, shower of frauds the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Mortgage owners cannot get a penny of social welfare assistance towards paying to keep their homes if they lose their jobs or their business goes bankrupt but any chancer with zero association or link with Ireland can come here illegally and be given an own door home yo live in free of charge no questions asked.

There is something seriously sick and wrong with the government and their cronies in politics and in the media that this is being even considered.

Utter contempt for Irish citizens, their safety, needs and capacity planning for all our already dysfunctional and bankrupt systems and so called services.

The week the politicians award themselves with 100k salaries AND their no questions asked 65k annual ‘expenses’ handout they basically give a house for life free of charge to ANYONE ILLEGAL NONPROVEN who illegally claws their way onto this island. It just makes me sick to read.

Meanwhile pensioners who paid tax their while lives cannot get a medical card let alone medical ‘care’, disabled adults are forgotten and the dilution of services for Irish is so diluted it is worthless ‘because there are no funds’. Sickening. Why bother working and paying your way at all? This country has become a social welfare cesspool and beacon for ever chancer and criminal on the planet. All at the cost of the hardworking poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

Mortgage owners cannot get a penny of social welfare assustance towards paying to keep their homes if they lose their jobs or their business goes bankrupt but any chancer with zero association or link with Ireland can come here illegally and be given an own door home yo live in free of charge no questions asked.

There is something seriously sick and wrong with the government and their cronies in politics and in the media that this is being even considered.

Utter contempt for Irish citizens, their safety, needs and capacity planning for all our already dysfunctional and bankrupt systems and so called services.

Sure according to the government and one poster here there's overwhelming support for it... Infact the same poster said people were celebrating it.... Talk about trying to spin a narrative
    I'd imagine anyone that's working, paid into the system and trying to get a home got a sinking feeling today..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

I'm not sure you have comprehended the posts you've replied to as you've responded to something that was never actually said?

"Irish public have voted for in elections"

no one voted for this.

No party went door to door selling this protection system.

Even Dell Boy and Rodney would have trouble selling that nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Wii776

Sure according to the government and one poster here there's overwhelming support for it... Infact the same poster said people were celebrating it.... Talk about trying to spin a narrative
    I'd imagine anyone that's working, paid into the system and trying to get a home got a sinking feeling today..

That poster is obviously a WUM.
    This has genuinely upset me, all day today. I honestly wonder if I will go back to working after covid. I mean , why bother, when the goal posts in society keep moving. Why should I keep striving.
    I am angry. As angry as I think the men of 1798, or 1848 must have felt.
    I feel disenfranchised in my own country.

• Advertisement

Wii776 wrote: »
    That poster is obviously a WUM.
    This has genuinely upset me, all day today. I honestly wonder if I will go back to working after covid. I mean , why bother, when the goal posts in society keep moving. Why should I keep striving.
    I am angry. As angry as I think the men of 1798, or 1848 must have felt.
    I feel disenfranchised in my own country.

The way the government have treated the Irish people the last few years is fcuking disgraceful, from 2008 onwards, any other country and it would have been in flames

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

The lads in the tents in Greece and Balkans are going to arrive here on mass. Paddy has to work hard and pay sky high taxes to try to put a roof over his head. Paddy more often has to live with his parents to save for years to buy a shoe box. But Mohamad just needs to get here and in a few weeks he'll be handed the keys to an apartment. When they hear that the government is going to apologise for putting people into hotels and then give them their own apartments they will be some stampede. This has to be the most dumb policy from any government in the history of the state. Putting immigrants before your own citizens! Bye bye Green party

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

mgn wrote: »
    The Greens should burn first, this is their baby,

The greens are more worried if your firewood is kiln dried or not cause the impact on society as a whole would be disastrous.

The greens are worried if your firewood is kiln dried or not cause the impact on society as a whole would be disastrous.

Zero connection to reality and the pocerty and crucifying hardships hardworking Irish people and pensioners are facing - and the slow crucifixion of dealing with utterly dysfunctional public ‘services’.

Of course Gormley went from TD to election reject to a cushy govt salary NGO almost six figure appointee job with Amnesty and back again. You’d never see him down the beach or park collecting driftwood in an IKEA bag for firewood because he can’t afford to heat his house and children.

Nor the other increasingly obese f**** whi award their brothers, wives, sisters and children ‘jobs’ while trousering e1OO k a year & e65k no receipts needed ‘expenses’ - tax free. They are so disconnected from reality they have no idea the tage people feel when they see a headline and policy like this while Irish families, pensioners and disabled are tossed off with ‘no resources of budget for that’ at ever pittance they beg for. Its sickening. Utter contempt for Irish citizens - and I din’t mean the ones who bought their citzenship for e200. Sinn Féin or someone had better step up.

The Greens are about identify politics now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

Great piece on this great development and step forward for Ireland.

https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/newsletter-dundalk/613159/louth-senator-welcomes-white-paper-on-ending-direct-provision.html

Louth Senator welcomes White Paper on ending Direct Provision
    Fianna Fáil senator Erin McGreehan has welcomed the publishing of a White Paper on ending Direct Provision.

The White Paper outlines the new system of accommodation and supports that will be put in place for applicants for International Protection. It is anticipated that all existing Direct Provision Centres will close by the end of 2024.

Senator McGreehan commented: “I very much welcome this and it has been a priority for this Government since it came into existence last June.

"The failure of the Direct Provision system has long been ignored by previous governments.

"I have called for the end of the Direct Provision system for a long time.

"It is a cruel, inhumane way to treat people who come to this country for refuge.

“Direct Provision is a dysfunctional system, and the goal of 2024 is great, however I believe that there needs to be short term goals for those who are currently are in Direct Provision.

"They need some hope and care.

"The average length of stay in Direct Provision is 24 months, with some residents having spent up to 10 or 12 years living in these conditions.

"This is completely unacceptable, the processing times for applications needs to be hurried up and resources and personnel should be given to do this.”

The Louth Senator added: “The new system grounded in human rights creates a system of accommodation and supports for applicants for International Protection.

"Under this new system, people who are applying for protection will be helped to integrate into Ireland from day one, with health, housing, education, and employment supports at the core of the system.

"They will be provided with dignity, respect and humanity.

“I look forward to reading the White Paper in detail and learning more about this new process of International Protection,” concluded Senator McGreehan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/newsletter-dundalk/613159/louth-senator-welcomes-white-paper-on-ending-direct-provision.html

Goodbye Erin.

Goodbye Erin.

I don't follow. Are you saying she is under threat? You realize practically everyone in government and the majority of the country agree with her?

When it goes to shiit who/what will she be saying ? Travellers won't be top of the housing lists, then she'll hear all about it!

I don't follow. Are you saying she is under threat? You realize practically everyone in government and the majority of the country agree with her?

You do have proof of this majority of the country of course?

Because I'm seeing a completely different picture across various social media and from people today...

Infact you're the only person I've seen yahooing about it in such a fashion.... What does that tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Absolute Quislings!

I have no problem with genuine immigrants escaping war-torn countries and Ireland is their first port of call, we are a rich country now and can accomodate a lot of these people.

But even the biggest simpleton in Ireland knows that the vast majority of these people are economic migrants shopping around for the country with the most generous welfare system that will let them in.

The people who support this are incredibly naive, it might give them a short-term dopamine hit to appear to their peers to care for the downtrodden but the inevitable societal division, rise in crime (especially sexual assault) ghettoisation and terrorist attacks will be on their hands.

Really good article here. It's hard to disagree with it. Great stuff from the Independent.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/editorial/we-have-a-moral-obligation-to-treat-migrants-humanely-40137250.html

We have a m​​​​​​oral obligation to treat migrants humanely
    There’s never a bad time to do the right thing. Yet for a country with an emigration record like ours, two decades is a very long wait to address glaring inequalities in the direct provision system.

That it has taken 20 years to address what was intended as a temporary emergency response leaves a stain on our human rights record.

The toll taken on all who came to our shores to be greeted with such indignities has been officially side-stepped for too long. We owe it to the millions who left our shores fleeing famine between 1799 and 1858, and who found a home on other shores, to do better.

We have a moral obligation to offer a more humane and compassionate approach. In the next four years the system is to be replaced with an “international protection system”.

The current, woefully inadequate arrangement was devised for asylum seekers in search of protection. But many found themselves trapped in a degrading limbo for years: unable to work or improve their circumstances, in crammed, confined conditions; their privacy, and quality of life, intolerably compromised. The new plan is to provide six centres which will be used for reception and integration. Owned by the State, they will be operated by not-for-profit organisations.

At the very least this ought to guarantee basic standards and quality of living are maintained consistently. Supports will be put in place and applicants will also have an opportunity to work.

According to the new government policy after a maximum of four months, those whose protection claims are still being processed will be housed in the community.

Accommodation will be “own-door”, in houses or apartments, under the plan.

This is hugely important in terms of independence. Writing in these columns during the week, the UNHCR’s Enda O’Neill, saw no reason why we can’t develop a system that protects the rights and dignity of those seeking refuge. He also urged us to seize the chance to promote more cohesive and socially engaged communities as we do so. It can only be a win for all concerned.

But good intentions will not satisfy the needs of the 3,000 people already locked in the system for more than two years. However well meant, unless there is a transformation in our national housing policy we will continue to fail in our obligations.

It is vital we build enough homes to satisfy the needs both of refugees and local communities. The target date is 2024. Yet as Lucky Khambule, co-founder of the Movement of Asylum Seekers in Ireland, said that is “a long time” away.

Speaking on RTÉ he also noted “having seen the history of this Government” he will “not get too excited” about the changes until they are implemented.

As the UNHCR has constantly argued, the damning years of over-promising and under-delivering on this issue must end.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes.

I am friendly with the spouse of a FG politician.

The spouse often says: "but sure you can't say that", in the context of something is true, but it isn't acceptable to state it.

As in, the spouse and the politician know things to be true, but don't state them, due to the political climate in Ireland.

The groupthink of Irish politics right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Goodbye Erin.

Why do they always focus on the length in DP?

More important surely is

Average Time for a Decision?
    Number of Appeals etc?

Its like being angry us working 9 to 5 don't live in a mansion. Its cause and effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Really good article here. It's hard to disagree with it. Great stuff from the Independent.

I see Enda O’Neill from UNHCR also calls out removal and deportation as being integral to the asylum process.

For this system to work, the numbers of deportations will need to be ramped up substantially and the interminable appeals process will need to be undone. There will also need to be a ‘whitelist’ of safe countries, from which applications will not be countenanced e.g. Albania, Georgia, South Africa.

Great to see the UNHCR injecting some realism into the conversation. I’m sure you’ll be thrilled with these measures to ensure ‘own door’ accommodation is assigned to the small subset of legitimate applicants.

Right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/editorial/we-have-a-moral-obligation-to-treat-migrants-humanely-40137250.html

We have a m​​​​​​oral obligation to treat migrants humanely

I barely support the provision of social housing as it is and here we are in this country talking about building houses for migrants above other URGENT priorities such as resourcing a health service bursting at the seams, reducing school class sizes (some are 30+), reducing infrastructure deficits all over the country & in Dublin (Metro for example), creating a system of affordable housing and so on...

It really is laughable. Migrants ARE treated humanely, they can work and are provided with full board & medical resources upon arriving here. They can also access education for free and other resources to better themselves. And of course, they are free to leave the system at any time if they feel it's not humane enough. I've no problem with people coming here to work, we've enough scroungers (& generational ones at that) as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

How can you provide own door accommodation to people from around the world when you cant provide it for your own citizens?

In fact even people who have money cannot buy their own accommodation as the stock doesn't exist!

If O Gorman has averaged in 3,500 asylum arrivals per year but 5k turn up. What happens then?

Half baked plan by a nobody from a party of out of touch cranks and oddballs who over 93% of the population didn't vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I barely support the provision of social housing as it is and here we are in this country talking about building houses for migrants above other URGENT priorities such as resourcing a health service bursting at the seams, reducing school class sizes (some are 30+), reducing infrastructure deficits all over the country & in Dublin (Metro for example), creating a system of affordable housing and so on...

You’re wasting your time trying to reason with that curious poster. He clearly doesn’t have young children, for whom he is trying to secure a decent education. Nor does he have elderly parents who are trying to access an over-burdened health service. It’s clear that he also never attempted to purchase or move up the property ladder in Dublin.

He’s somehow insulated from the realities that most of us experience. It’s good to see he makes productive use of his time trolling people who have genuine concerns, by branding them as ‘racists’. When he grows up, life will pop his insulated little bubble and he’ll experience first hand, the reality of being utterly shafted as a tax payer. Don’t expect any contrition for his distorted world view though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Have a look in the Irish times this morning, think it's the second page, They have an article about this.

Then right next to it another article saying council says homeless people are not allowed to pitch tents.

Thought that seemed in pretty bad taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That's going to disappoint all the owners of crap hotels and ad hoc accommodation who have coined out of DP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Roderic O' Gorman is our Children's Minister, but we still have many of our children in excruciating pain this morning in Ireland waiting for scoliosis surgeries. There are inadequate mental health services for our children and teens all around our country, and yet we do not hear a peep from him relating to these issues. If you try to get home health care for your parents or grandparents, you will be lucky to get one hour per week from the HSE. We are told that there is not enough funding for all of these examples above. Not enough funding.

Yet yesterday, Roderic O' Gorman declared that there will no cap on the numbers of asylum seekers who arrive in Ireland and receive their own homes within 4 months. Let me repeat what he said; there will be no cap on the numbers. So there is unlimited funding for asylum seekers coming to Ireland, but extremely limited funding for the people already living and working here. This is a surreal reality to take in. I can assure you that this is not the will of the majority in this country, but here we are in this abominable position. It is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Don’t worry about it, I’m 38, with a half decent job. I’ll pay for it as usual!

Groupthink - they’ll be wailing at the election and bewildered as to what could have hoppened - they’ll have nobody but themselves to blame when Sinn Fein top the polls and decimate them and far right parties and politicians stride in.

The last few elections and charlie hughey’s funeral taught them nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I highly recommend contacting all of your constituency representatives to let them know your disagreement. While they may not respond to your email, it will still have to register with them. If you do not express your sentiments then they will just presume that providing asylum seekers with homes and welfare at the expense of the native people is what we want. A quick email will only take a minute or two, and you can say to yourself that at the very least you registered your opinion on the matter.

Here are a couple of emails addresses that also should hear our views:
    leo.varadkar@oireachtas.ie
    micheal.martin@oireachtas.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mugga123

Groupthink - they’ll be wailing at the election and bewildered as to what could have hoppened - they’ll have nobody but themselves to blame when Sinn Fein top the polls and decimate them and far right parties and politicians stride in.

The last few elections and charlie hughey’s funeral taught them nothing.

How could this policy have been approved by government? It's so poorly thought out. A key to their own door after 4 months claiming asylum is crazy! If you were fleeing persecution or fearing death you would be glad of a DP centre. When the Irish cant get homes how can you give a home to people who just land here? All well and good to make conditions better for them but this is going to irritate many people. Better to spped up the process, deport those who are pretending, then there wouldn't be so many in the DP centre.

Advertisement