Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

TomTomTim wrote: »
    They are some of the most dishonest political actors you'll find. Their lies are very easy to see through too, which is frustrating, as such a weak ideology should have little power, yet it has much.

Our government is literally funding NGOs to spread anti white racism and revisionist theories of Irish people being oppressors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

TomTomTim wrote: »
    They are some of the most dishonest political actors you'll find. Their lies are very easy to see through too, which is frustrating, as such a weak ideology should have little power, yet it has much.

It has to be some kind of indoctrination among the young... As usual no evidence to his claim was provided despite numerous requests

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    On top of that, Ireland has no colonies or history of conquest. We have no responsibility for the problems of these countries and no guilt to assuage.

I honestly don't see how the Imperial nations need to assuage any guilt for what happened in the past.. Are we really going to hold people living today to account for things that happened long before they were born, and they had no part in?

Added to which, actual colonialism in most countries finished decades ago, and, in many cases, have since received buckets of aid or compensation for what happened. The fact that these nations have problems, while they might possibly be traced back to their colonial days, exist today because of the culture they've allowed to exist since then.. We really need to reinforce some responsibility here for how a people or country has managed to evolve free of foreign interference.

And then there's countries like Nigeria, who are incredibly resource rich, and yet, we are supposed to believe that they were somehow prevented from establishing a successful society and economy. (even though they have, but we're expected to believe they still need asylum)

We really do need to start countering this guilt crap. Look at Ireland, and the sheer lack of resources in the country, and a whole host of idiotic politicians, and yet, we're somehow held up as a rich nation. In spite of a history of being colonialised for a much longer period than most other countries. And yet, we're somehow to believe that other countries/peoples were prevented from success because of their past history, while having greater access to resources, and far more in developmental aid over time. Meh.

I say it's time to stop accepting or even tolerating these guilt trips. Regardless of whether Irish peoples ancestors served in the British Empire, we are not responsible for the poor state of affairs in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It has to be some kind of indoctrination among the young... As usual no evidence to his claim was provided despite numerous requests

Look at where many young (but not just them) people get their news from nowadays (not that sources like the BBC are any better anymore), coupled with a natural rebellious attitude and a feeling that the mainstream parties don't represent them, and you can see how the likes of the Greens and the fringe parties get support.

Add to that the way society has moved to headlines and soundbites with outrage thrown in, and details are manipulated or just outright ignored.

Social media in particular is a very dangerous and effective tool for pushing agendas. This is why it's being used by foreign governments to influence elections for example.

The fact that people on this Irish forum are in all seriousness throwing out terms like 'far right' to describe other Irish posters is proof of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

A long overdue overhaul.

I'll wait to see how it functions before commenting further. Government tends to announce great and lofty plans but the execution is dire.

But, on the surface, it's great news.

It's a disaster of a plan

It will sow divison

It will create ghettos

Solving nothing and just fuçking everything

Rodric O'Gorman is some fųcking stones

Offshore processing is the only answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

I've emailed my td's and Martin and Varadkar. Is there anything else we could do? Protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I honestly don't see how the Imperial nations need to assuage any guilt for what happened in the past.. Are we really going to hold people living today to account for things that happened long before they were born, and they had no part in?

You're right of course. I could have added 'imagined' or 'projected' in front of the word guilt as well.
    Added to which, actual colonialism in most countries finished decades ago, and, in many cases, have since received buckets of aid or compensation for what happened. The fact that these nations have problems, while they might possibly be traced back to their colonial days, exist today because of the culture they've allowed to exist since then.. We really need to reinforce some responsibility here for how a people or country has managed to evolve free of foreign interference.

This is the key part but responsibility, or especially personal responsibility, is now a dirty phrase among those who think 'someone else' should pay or compensate them for their problems or obstacles in life.

It's very much an already Irish problem too and reinforced with terminology like 'disadvantaged' or 'neglected' (which also push the aforementioned societal guilt angle too).

There are a significant number of people in this country who feel that they are owed something because of their backgrounds or upbringing. Natural enough then that they'll gravitate to parties that tell them it's not their fault (the likes of SF for example), or others that suggest we owe others like themselves a dig-out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Mules wrote: »
    I've emailed my td's and Martin and Varadkar. Is there anything else we could do? Protest?

That's one protest I would to go too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The sins of the father. It's an evil and pernicious doctrine that has taken hold of institutions in the west and is a godsend to enemies of the west, internal and external. But like so many things, it only has the power we give it.

I emailed Leo and Michael.

Leo likes to go with which way the wind blows so if enough people email him he might comment on it.

I've emailed 5 locals
    And Leo and Ó Gorman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Young folk: End DP! It's a disgrace

Government: Ok it's gone. We will give all and sundry houses and apartments even though there is record low availability.

Young folk: I'm living with my parents, I cant afford to rent or buy. There isn't enough houses.

You played yourselves.

Young folk will be living in converted living spaces above their parents and friends garages.
    It worked out ok for Fonzy in Happy Days.
    Brought it on themselves

Go WOKE- Go broke

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/housing-agency-crucial-to-accommodating-asylum-seekers-minister-says-1.4496365?mode=amp

'' The rollout of a new international protection support service is forecast to cost between €440million and €760 million over the next four years, said the Minister. The service will cost an estimated €175 million annually after that.''

THAT'S THE ESTIMATE.. WE KNOW HOW GOOD OUR ELECTED ARE WITH MONEY.
    I'M SO ANGRY- THROWING AWAY MY HARD EARNED TAX WHICHEVER WAY THEY PLEASE

'' He said the priority was to “move away completely “ from using emergency accommodation in 2021 and 2022.''

THESE PEOPLE ARE SO FAR FROM REALITY..
    MOVE AWAY FROM EMERGENCY ACCOMMODATION FOR REFUGEES, YES, WHAT ABOUT THE REST OF US?

'' Labour senator Annie Hoey, who also welcomed the White Paper, said: “I have friends in Mosney who have been there for over a decade and I’m sure that they are hoping that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.”""

FRIENDS IN MOSNEY... SAYS IT ALL REALLY DOSNT IT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I've emailed 5 locals
    And Leo and Ó Gorman.

Fair play. The more people who voice their dissatisfaction, the quicker this issue gets on to their radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

mgn wrote: »
    Doubt it very much, even the Green voters are not that stupid to think that its a smart idea to give every asylum seeker that comes into the country a free house after 4 months.

I could be wrong though.

You are wrong, DP is an article of faith for Green Party, Social Democrats and Labour voters

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Might be an idea to list email addresses based on constituency to make this easier for peopl.

Ill start

Dublin Bay North

richard.bruton@oireachtas.ie
    sean.haughey@oireachtas.ie
    denise.mitchell@oireachtas.ie
    cian.ocallaghan@oireachtas.ie
    aodhan.oriordain@oireachtas.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

O Gorman says the costs of building all this extra accommodation of what he admits is an unlimited number of migrants will come from a separate budget to the housing budget.
    Yet is it not all tax payers money? Spending 700 million for housing people who arrived 4 months ago means spending 700 million less on housing for the local population.
    Have a look at his Twitter page, he has translated the announcement into numerous languages so that it’s spread worldwide. Come to Ireland and you’ll have a free house in 4 months

O Gorman says the costs of building all this extra accommodation of what he admits is an unlimited number of migrants will come from a separate budget to the housing budget.
    Yet is it not all tax payers money? Spending 700 million for housing people who arrived 4 months ago means spending 700 million less on housing for the local population.
    Have a look at his Twitter page, he has translated the announcement into numerous languages so that it’s spread worldwide. Come to Ireland and you’ll have a free house in 4 months

And how would you even distribute them, its not like we’re building private housing at a rate to sustain this so it cant be mixed developments, eventually itll need tower blocks solely inhabited by migrants which will just create massive welfare ghettos and discourage integration.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Genuine refugees should be transported in directly from camps or warzones, by a international agency. These should be people with nothing, destitute, unable to cough up to the thousands required to pay people traffickers.
    Everyone else should be seen as opportunistic queue jumpers, and treated with contempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A 700 million estimate is a billion and a half all day long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Go WOKE- Go broke

Like that one, good slogan.

• Advertisement

And how would you even distribute them, its not like we’re building private housing at a rate to sustain this so it cant be mixed developments, eventually itll need tower blocks solely inhabited by migrants which will just create massive welfare ghettos and discourage integration.

And where are the initiatives to create businesses/industries to employ these migrants?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

They won't be employed, they'll be on welfare, that's why they come here.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/housing-agency-crucial-to-accommodating-asylum-seekers-minister-says-1.4496365?mode=amp

'' The rollout of a new international protection support service is forecast to cost between €440million and €760 million over the next four years, said the Minister. The service will cost an estimated €175 million annually after that.''

THAT'S THE ESTIMATE.. WE KNOW HOW GOOD OUR ELECTED ARE WITH MONEY.
    I'M SO ANGRY- THROWING AWAY MY HARD EARNED TAX WHICHEVER WAY THEY PLEASE

'' He said the priority was to “move away completely “ from using emergency accommodation in 2021 and 2022.''

THESE PEOPLE ARE SO FAR FROM REALITY..
    MOVE AWAY FROM EMERGENCY ACCOMMODATION FOR REFUGEES, YES, WHAT ABOUT THE REST OF US?

'' Labour senator Annie Hoey, who also welcomed the White Paper, said: “I have friends in Mosney who have been there for over a decade and I’m sure that they are hoping that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.”""

FRIENDS IN MOSNEY... SAYS IT ALL REALLY DOSNT IT

That and a 1 million a day for cycle routes,

Its about time these fools are held to account before the lose the run of themselves.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    You are wrong, DP is an article of faith for Green Party, Social Democrats and Labour voters

It is to reform it, not give everyone that turns up on our shores a free house after a few months.

And where are the initiatives to create businesses/industries to employ these migrants?

They wont pay our pensions, the state pension will probably be wiped out to pay to keep the migrants

mgn wrote: »
    It is to reform it, not give everyone that turns up on our shores a free house after a few months.

I'm not as sure as you on that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Dublin MW
    emer.higgins@oireachtas.ie FG
    gino.kenny@oireachtas.ie PBP
    mark.ward@oireachtas.ie SF
    eoin.obroin@oireachtas.ie SF

Might appear insurmountable with the motley crew above for Dub MW'ers, but worth the effort.
    Register your opinion and follow up. The FGer is ripe for a response.

Here's the link to the main td/senator directory - you have to click on their profile to get to email addresses though addresses all follow similar pattern.
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/members/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭gw80

So, during a pandemic this guy puts out a call around the world that Ireland is open to all migrants who will be given a free house,free money and all the trimmings the same week the government decides unanimously not to stop non essential arrivals into the country,
    Not even a global pandemic is going to stop them.
    I think I'm going to have to start looking a bit closer at some of these conspiracy theories,

I'm not as sure as you on that point.

So what your saying is that all party's are happy with this proposal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

At best they can work as taxi drivers.

Advertisement