Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Dublin MW
    emer.higgins@oireachtas.ie FG
    gino.kenny@oireachtas.ie PBP
    mark.ward@oireachtas.ie SF
    eoin.obroin@oireachtas.ie SF

Might appear insurmountable with the motley crew above for Dub MW'ers, but worth the effort.
    Register your opinion and follow up. The FGer is ripe for a response.

Here's the link to the main td/senator directory - you have to click on their profile to get to email addresses though addresses all follow similar pattern.
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/members/

Jeez, I thought it was bad where I am, that's a horrific list of public representatives :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

I'm still celebrating about this news. AN END TO DIRECT PROVISION!!! Can I get three cheers for an end to Direct Provision?
    Hip Hip..
    Hip Hip..
    HIP HIP!!...

Great to hear that things like this won't be happening anymore

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/we-have-been-traumatised-asylum-seekers-in-a-kerry-direct-provision-centre-on-hunger-strike-in-protest-at-inhumane-conditions-39403971.html

This is a real step in the right direction and the racists throwing toys out of the pram is hilarious :D:D:D

What makes you think it won't happen anymore, do you really trust the Irish government to run it better?

They wont pay our pensions, the state pension will probably be wiped out to pay to keep the migrants

I'm not concerned about the pensions, since even without the problems of immigration, pensions are likely unfeasible over time with rising costs.

No. I'm concerned with who is going to pay for all the costs involved with a larger population dependent on State support for a (being optimistic) few years before they work and support themselves.

The pensions are just a way to take away attention for everything else that costs a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Absolute Quislings!

I have no problem with genuine immigrants escaping war-torn countries and Ireland is their first port of call, we are a rich country now and can accomodate a lot of these people.

But even the biggest simpleton in Ireland knows that the vast majority of these people are economic migrants shopping around for the country with the most generous welfare system that will let them in.

The people who support this are incredibly naive, it might give them a short-term dopamine hit to appear to their peers to care for the downtrodden but the inevitable societal division, rise in crime (especially sexual assault) ghettoisation and terrorist attacks will be on their hands.

I was infracted for generalising.

Here are some reliable sources for the claims.

First one is relating to rise in Crime in Sweden due to rise of 'Refugees' (Economic Migrants) :

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12115-019-00436-8

This article quotes an EU official saying the majority of those seeking asylum are economic migrants :

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/most-fleeing-to-europe-are-not-refugees-eu-official-says-1.2511133%3fmode=amp

I'm not concerned about the pensions, since even without the problems of immigration, pensions are likely unfeasible over time with rising costs.

No. I'm concerned with who is going to pay for all the costs involved with a larger population dependent on State support for a (being optimistic) few years before they work and support themselves.

The pensions are just a way to take away attention for everything else that costs a fortune.

Ya, people in Ireland and Europe are in for a huge shock with the pension systems that will never be able to be paid out over the next few decades. The deficits are huge and growing massively. This one issue alone will cause massive political problems for all European countries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I think that must be indicative of the company we both keep.

As I said, I really don't begrudge people who are on the wrong side of overwhelming public opinion a chance to vent in their own echo chambers online. It is quite entertaining to see the meltdown happening from this side of the fence though I have to say :D

Where might this be found these day's ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This in an interesting story which hasn't been widely reported

The co-founder of the Immigrant Council of Ireland is said to be “flabbergasted” after a joint garda and PSNI operation into people-smuggling led to the arrest of an Eritrean man who had been living rent-free in a mews at her Foxrock mansion.

The investigation led to the arrest of the man, a taxi driver who had driven from Dublin to Northern Ireland on February 8 with two Eritrean passengers who had recently sought asylum in the south. Gardai discovered the taxi driver lived in a mews in the grounds of Lis na Carrig in Foxrock, owned by Chantal McCabe. The philanthropist is separated from Bill McCabe, a businessman ranked the 245th richest man in Ireland last year with a fortune worth €81 million.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/chantal-mccabe-lodger-held-over-people-smuggling-xsdrtdm2c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Jeez, I thought it was bad where I am, that's a horrific list of public representatives :)

:D:D
    I'll see your list and raise you mine :rolleyes:

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/members/tds/?tab=constituency&constituency=%2Fie%2Foireachtas%2Fhouse%2Fdail%2F33%2Fconstituency%2FDublin-South-Central
    Joan Collins
    Independents 4 Change

Patrick Costello
    Green Party

Bríd Smith
    Solidarity - People Before Profit

Aengus Ó Snodaigh
    Sinn Féin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

I was infracted for generalising.

Here are some reliable sources for the claims.

First one is relating to rise in Crime in Sweden due to rise of 'Refugees' (Economic Migrants) :

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12115-019-00436-8

This article quotes an EU official saying the majority of those seeking asylum are economic migrants :

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/most-fleeing-to-europe-are-not-refugees-eu-official-says-1.2511133%3fmode=amp

Mr Timmermans is hellbent on the oul diversity, infact the whole EU seems to be obsessed by it...I'm guessing it won't be in his nice secure, gated community though..

I do love the way in the EU people we've never even heard get to make decisions for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I missed O'Gorman's presser yesterday.
    Did he give an indication of how the decision making process was going to be overhauled, streamlined to ensure that humans aren't allowed to be left for years in stasis either by their own endless appealing, a plethora of NGO interference or the states lethargy? Or a combination of all three ineptitudes?
    Did he mention anything about the difference between economic immigrants and actual asylum seekers and official refugees?
    Did he mention anything about the frequent occurence of people arriving and being let wander into the community and given an appointment to 'come back' to see some official and then never to be heard of again until it's amnesty time (17000 coming up real soon)

Did he mention if the 'own door' houses and apartments are going to turn into the same 'forever house/apt' like what happens with the councils? Do they have a plan to make sure these proposed properties are made available for the fresh yearly intake and not permanently occupied by last years intake otherwise it will be purpose built permanent social housing solely for non-citizens ahead of Irish citizens.
    Everyone I've spoken to has welcomed the purpose built state centres proposed as opposed to the ridiculuous use of hotels, but everyone i've spoken to has across the board recognised the insanity of social housing for people barely here 16 weeks and still under investigation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

:) I wouldn't mind but I voted two of them in (And by extension the third one)
    And all due to O Broin's housing policy!
    Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Realistically its not even a few years , non EU migrants have low employment rates and even those employed are often taxi drivers, low end workers etc.. between paying sweet F A in to the system and their extended family remaining in need of welfare support, theres is little to no hope of any first generation asylum seeker here ever being of net benefit to the economy.

Ya, people in Ireland and Europe are in for a huge shock with the pension systems that will never be able to be paid out over the next few decades. The deficits are huge and growing massively. This one issue alone will cause massive political problems for all European countries

Indeed, contributory pension will be fnck all (but still there as people will be entitled to their fnck all) while means tested non contributory pension will be at least what they are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Kivaro wrote: »
    If anything comes from this debacle today is the demonstration (again) of how damaging the Green Party is to the ordinary person in this country. They are really wreaking havoc on us. I voted for the Green Party in the past for environmental and sustainability reasons; not for polices like these. Never again.

I likewise voted for them in the last election, under the assumption that either FF or FG would curtail the more dangerous of their policies. So really I've only myself to blame. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Realistically its not even a few years , non EU migrants have low employment rates and even those employed are often taxi drivers, low end workers etc.. between paying sweet F A in to the system and their extended family remaining in need of welfare support, theres is little to no hope of any first generation asylum seeker here ever being of net benefit to the economy.

I worked in a low paid job during the resession , you pay next to no tax. Now if you're working a job like that , you're claiming HAP , children's allowance , medical card etc you're costing the state money. All you're doing is creating cheap labour for the multi millionaires so they can get richer and paying off landlords mortgages.Did any of these politicians do economics in school ?

Our government is literally funding NGOs to spread anti white racism and revisionist theories of Irish people being oppressors.

Absolutely !

Anybody with experience of a family member or friend who has "been to College" in Ireland over the past two decades,will have had this strange experience of watching the person concerned metamorphisize from,an otherwise rational,content young person into a confused,angry and discontented individual seeing malice,oppression and disaffection everywhere.

The country is overflowing with such genectically modified Individuals,acting now upon the inciduous codology drip fed into them by a clatter of "Lecturers",often imported into the State,and delivering their load of,mainly Tripe, into the receptive brains of our yoof.

When my turn comes round,I shall Close Down our "Colleges" and Universities,then reinstate An Comharile Oiluna (AnCO) Trade apprenticeships with immediate effect.

This action will,I fully accept,have a negative effect upon many of our Eastern European EU members,who's young (far more openminded) folk have bravely stepped up to the mantle of fixing our dodgy plumbing,rewiring our gaff's and chipping our VW TDI's,but we simply HAVE to reclaim our National Identity,and pride in that.

There stands my Manifesto for the next General Election....(Mind you,I'll happily Vote for whatever politician outlines similar on my doorstep)

Tiochfáidh ar Lá,as the oul lad's used to say ! :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

mgn wrote: »
    It is to reform it, not give everyone that turns up on our shores a free house after a few months.

Reform didn't mean deporting bogus applicants to WOKE voters

Gatling wrote: »
    This in an interesting story which hasn't been widely reported

The co-founder of the Immigrant Council of Ireland is said to be “flabbergasted” after a joint garda and PSNI operation into people-smuggling led to the arrest of an Eritrean man who had been living rent-free in a mews at her Foxrock mansion.

The investigation led to the arrest of the man, a taxi driver who had driven from Dublin to Northern Ireland on February 8 with two Eritrean passengers who had recently sought asylum in the south. Gardai discovered the taxi driver lived in a mews in the grounds of Lis na Carrig in Foxrock, owned by Chantal McCabe. The philanthropist is separated from Bill McCabe, a businessman ranked the 245th richest man in Ireland last year with a fortune worth €81 million.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/chantal-mccabe-lodger-held-over-people-smuggling-xsdrtdm2c

Damn,and Blast you Sir !

Stooping to quoting an article from the Times of LONDON...!...You scoundrel :eek: .

That being said,one has to admire how often that organ has gotten it right in their coverage of Irish affairs...my eyes mist over at the mention of Pamela Izevbekhai,late of our parish,who's gallop through Irish Immigration & Asylum system was only halted thanks to the "Foreign" Times investigative journalists doing some....well....investigating.

However,that was then,this is now,and it's uplifting to see we have learned from that and moved on......? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

That was my first reaction.

And also it potentially could cause huge anger and resentment if asylum seekers are “bumped up” the list for housing - that logically means other ppl will be pushed back down the list?

Recipe for disaster

I suspect any anger will quickly repressed, and people angered that arrivals are privileged over them will be denounced as racists, reported on to their employers and other unpersoning actions by the 'woke' dupes of big business.

The Chantal McCabe story suggests a lot of these campaigners are privileged and utterly insane.

This announcement is utterly insane. A good many homeless Irish would've been happy with Direct Provision. Irish people apparently eligible will now be a lower priority than arrivals who lie shamelessly (I have been told by a person who had deal with these asylum seekers through processing claims) with no prior ties to the country. The country is in financial dire straits. I wonder if people with unoccupied rooms or houses (say someone in a retirement home) will be forced to accommodate these arrivals.

Nigeria has over 200 million, for example. If people who were trying for the UK divert to Ireland we will be overwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I am a single 31yo well educated person on a relatively decent salary 50,000 per year but due to this decision, it pretty much guarantees I'll be in the rental trap for another decade.

I'm sure this will be the straw that breaks the camels back for most middle class centrist people in the country.

Its funny to think that 10 years ago, I would have been supporting O'Gorman to the hilt on this. I'm sure the 20yo leftists on twitter supporting this will be disgusted with themselves in a few years too.

• Advertisement

I suspect any anger will quickly repressed, and people angered that arrivals are privileged over them will be denounced as racists, reported on to their employers and other unpersoning actions by the 'woke' dupes of big business.

The Chantal McCabe story suggests a lot of these campaigners are privileged and utterly insane.

This announcement is utterly insane. A good many homeless Irish would've been happy with Direct Provision. Irish people apparently eligible will now be a lower priority than arrivals who lie shamelessly (I have been told by a person who had deal with these asylum seekers through processing claims) with no prior ties to the country. The country is in financial dire straits. I wonder if people with unoccupied rooms or houses (say someone in a retirement home) will be forced to accommodate these arrivals.

Nigeria has over 200 million, for example. If people who were trying for the UK divert to Ireland we will be overwhelmed.

And Nigeria's population is expected to head towards 700,000,000 by mid century.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭rgossip30

What happens to those in own door accommodation getting supplementary payments of 201 euro per week free accommodation . The White Paper on the new system assumes that they will either be working or employed . I think unlikely so it will be indefinite welfare payments . This is hard to swallow when you have worked and paid tax all your life to see those who just come and get better benefits .

I am a single 31yo well educated person on a relatively decent salary 50,000 per year but due to this decision, it pretty much guarantees I'll be in the rental trap for another decade.

I'm sure this will be the straw that breaks the camels back for most middle class centrist people in the country.

Its funny to think that 10 years ago, I would have been supporting O'Gorman to the hilt on this. I'm sure the 20yo leftists on twitter supporting this will be disgusted with themselves in a few years too.

I used to be a leftie, do you know what happened?.... I grew up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

mugga123 wrote: »
    How could this policy have been approved by government? It's so poorly thought out. A key to their own door after 4 months claiming asylum is crazy! If you were fleeing persecution or fearing death you would be glad of a DP centre. When the Irish cant get homes how can you give a home to people who just land here? All well and good to make conditions better for them but this is going to irritate many people. Better to spped up the process, deport those who are pretending, then there wouldn't be so many in the DP centre.

Because the Greens want it, and it's more important for the parties of perpetual power to stay in power (and not have to debase themselves by having to crawl before the unwashed masses for their vote) then it is to do the job they were elected to.

The Chantal McCabe story suggests a lot of these campaigners are privileged and utterly insane.( + VERY wealthy and "connected" ;) )

Oue own new Royalty perhaps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Already the "movement for refugees" is calling for housing rights for refugees to be a legal right in law. They want rights that irish citizens don't even have, the visceral self entitlement is astounding.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Already the "movement for refugees" is calling for housing rights for refugees to be a legal right in law. They want rights that irish citizens don't even have, the visceral self entitlement is astounding.

Anyone who understands these groups will not be one bit surprised. Social justice groups are all the same in how they function, give them an inch and they'll take a mile. The social justice train has no destination, it keeps on moving, destroying everything around it, all under the guise of "progress".

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

The state has caved in to NGOs and undermined whatever sense of a nation and obligation to Irish people that still exists.

It was an insidious racist lie for years, that immigrants/asylum seekers could just rock up and were given a free house etc. ahead of Irish people. Now the proposal is to actually do this. Manna from heaven for the far right who will surely grow because they are the only ones saying anything about immigration. Of course, if your career is based around fighting a barely existent far right, one way to ensure your continued employment and relevance is to actually bring the bogeyman to life.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭decreds

People should be protesting against this. Fear for the future of my children

Advertisement