Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

Are there any dissenting voices amongst our politicians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Stick a fork in Ireland.... She's done!

It ****in bums me out to see it go down this road

Thank God. The new blood might breed the begrudgery bitterness and backwardness out of the place yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

baldbear wrote: »

None, they don't want to be labelled racist or non woke etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I believe that this is a pivotal time in Irish history.
    Roderic O' Gorman and the Green Party has opened up the borders of Ireland with this new asylum plan. O' Gorman lied to the country when he proclaimed that this was universally accepted. Where we go from here depends on how we react to O' Gorman's directive, which was scripted by the asylum NGOs in Ireland. Don't forget that when/if we capitulate to this tiny minority, we will also have to apologise to asylum seekers for having the audacity of trying to protect them.

The monetary cost to implement this will be enormous. It may well break our economy. So what we can do? We can still object by simply contacting our elective representatives. It is really that simple.
    And if they do not comply, we change them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

I could travel anywhere in Ireland and you generally know what to expect with an Irish person.

Yes, Jaws dropping, "I don't like the look of him" "Oh he's from Dublin, bet he sells the auld drugs".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

baldbear wrote: »

How can they?

The full weight of the bent media will descend on them

Career over

Only way it happens is when a person has enough money and isn’t a career politician

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭gw80

Thank God. The new blood might breed the begrudgery bitterness and backwardness out of the place yet.

Yea, because the people who will be coming here have done such great jobs of their own country's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

None, they don't want to be labelled racist or non woke etc....

Privately, I’m pretty sure that a significant number are deeply uncomfortable with this direction. However, it’s futile if they remain silent.

The only politicians who may openly voice opposition are some independents like Verona Murphy and Noel Grealish. Verona is particularly aware of this folly, given her previous role as the chair person of the road hauliers association. Let’s hope she articulates her concerns.

She was savaged by the media the last time she made some mildly critical comments about asylum seekers. It didn’t stop the electorate in Wexford voting her in as an independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

Someone, somewhere decided we needed to be multicultural, I don't know why because we have a lovely little country that's not short on social cohesiveness and no real ethnic tensions, I could travel anywhere in Ireland and you generally know what to expect with an Irish person.

I know, and social cohesiveness is something people take for granted but will badly miss when it's gone. I grew up in a place which was far from perfect, but there was a sense of warm community and belonging that is gradually being eroded by our streets being filled with people from thousands of miles away who have abused our asylum system and who have no interest in us or our community, our town. They are only interested in themselves, they have their own shops and churches and live parallel lives. Our town has become less friendly and less trusting and less safe. Any new social housing development is guaranteed to have a minority of Irish people in it because of our proximity to one of the longest-running DP centres in the country. The influx is never-ending. It has caused huge resentment and anger and people feel that they have no voice.

This latest bout of madness from O'Gorman - tweeted in multiple languages just in case the world doesn't get the message - just ramps that up to another level. I feel sick and sad and tired. I know O'Gormans in real life and they live on another planet. I must add - I own my own home and feel lucky to do so. It's my children's generation I'm worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

What is happening in Ireland at the moment regarding taking in migrants to live off the welfare system and now advertising that luxury accommodation will be supplied is a bigger threat than what we have from covid.
    The influx of migrants in some of our larger towns now is unbelievable. I think the generation coming behind will have more problems than a covid debt to pay back. More and more arrivals in this county every week yet big majority in this county leave it every week for work. Mind boggling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

I know, and social cohesiveness is something people take for granted but will badly miss when it's gone. I grew up in a place which was far from perfect, but there was a sense of warm community and belonging that is gradually being eroded by our streets being filled with people from thousands of miles away who have abused our asylum system and who have no interest in us or our community, our town. They are only interested in themselves, they have their own shops and churches and live parallel lives. Our town has become less friendly and less trusting and less safe. Any new social housing development is guaranteed to have a minority of Irish people in it because of our proximity to one of the longest-running DP centres in the country. The influx is never-ending. It has caused huge resentment and anger and people feel that they have no voice.

This latest bout of madness from O'Gorman - tweeted in multiple languages just in case the world doesn't get the message - just ramps that up to another level. I feel sick and sad and tired. I know O'Gormans in real life and they live on another planet. I must add - I own my own home and feel lucky to do so. It's my children's generation I'm worried about.

I've seen it in my own home town, even the atmosphere in the place has changed, it's the older people I feel sorry for looking around at all this and wondering what the fcuk is going on.i live close to Balbriggan and I've seen that place change too. In a few years we'll be a soulless consumerist sh! thole of grey economic units with no defining identity, well done government of Ireland and Brussels overlords.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭DelaneysMule

Good piece here. Hopefully the government can follow through and end Direct Provision. I also would like to know how many deaths there have been in Direct Provision centers since 2017.

Does the Government really have the will to erase the stain of direct provision?

irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40234367.html
    A State which laughably claimed it had been moulded in the shadow of the Catholic Church arguably treated those who had fled the horrors of war, persecution and famine with more contempt than we treat those who have broken the law.

To add insult to injury, the number of deaths in direct provision centres stopped being notified in 2017, and like all those institutionalised by Ireland before them, we'll never know the full story of their lives or deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I've seen it in my own home town, even the atmosphere in the place has changed, it's the older people I feel sorry for looking around at all this and wondering what the fcuk is going on.i live close to Balbriggan and I've seen that place change too. In a few years we'll be a soulless consumerist sh! thole of grey economic units with no defining identity, well done government of Ireland and Brussels overlords.

Sadly same story nationwide. Even the most rural and bad employment prospect affected towns with little or no services are being filled with migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Good piece here. Hopefully the government can follow through and end Direct Provision. I also would like to know how many deaths there have been in Direct Provision centers since 2017.

Does the Government really have the will to erase the stain of direct provision?

This is a joke right.....

They aren't in a concentration camp, breaking rocks by hand or selling their bodies.

They have a bed, heating, at least 3 proper meals a day, money, medical care, medication, clothing yada yada yada.....

If I die at home I wouldn't even make the back of a local paper never mind news......

Good piece here. Hopefully the government can follow through and end Direct Provision. I also would like to know how many deaths there have been in Direct Provision centers since 2017

Why don’t you file a request under the FOI act?

As to whether the government will end the ‘stain’ of direct provision, I suspect Roderick O’Gorman’s plan may falter when ideology meets the cold reality of financial constraint.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

When will one party just represent Irish working people???

There is literally noone, it's so depressing.

"The table is tilted folks. The game is rigged, and nobody seems to notice, nobody seems to care. Good honest hard-working people -- white collar, blue collar, it doesn’t matter what color shirt you have on -- good honest hard-working people continue -- these are people of modest means -- continue to elect these cocksuckers who don’t give a **** about them. They don’t give a **** about you. They don’t give a **** about you. They don't care about you at all -- at all -- at all." - George Carlin

If I die at home I wouldn't even make the back of a local paper never mind news......

You need to get with the program.

As a multi-generational ‘old Irish’ your passing is irrelevant to this poster. There’s no likes to be gathered in mourning your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

This is a joke right.....

They aren't in a concentration camp, breaking rocks by hand or selling their bodies.

They have a bed, heating, at least 3 proper meals a day, money, medical care, medication, clothing yada yada yada.....

You take someone into your home without an arse in their trousers and then they insult your hospitality

This rubs the majority of this country up the wrong way

Who advises these people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I've been told that one of the ways to stop the insanity of these free homes for all asylum seekers is to contact the following:
    leo.varadkar@oireachtas.ie

If enough of ye contact him (I already have), it may actually change the course of Irish history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

gw80 wrote: »
    Yea, because the people who will be coming here have done such great jobs of their own country's right.

Doctors and engineers.

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    I've been told that one of the ways to stop the insanity of these free homes for all asylum seekers is to contact the following:
    leo.varadkar@oireachtas.ie

If enough of ye contact him (I already have), it may actually change the course of Irish history.

Cheers, I sent an email of support about how great hes doing and how great the government are doing, especially with Direct Provision ending in 2024. Sent it to everyone in my contacts and friends and family and they will do the same. Some already have! Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,338 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I seen someone on Reddit quoting BlindBoy saying: "This is our mother and baby homes". :pac:

I had a cousin who went to school with him. Apparently he was far from those ideas he preaches now back in then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

tdf7187 wrote: »
    You will not find an actual policy statement stating that their plan is to increase population to x by y. They're not that stupid. But it's obvious that the bankster/neoliberal agenda is to massively increase immigration.

Might as well be just stating it...

Screenshot-20210228-010921-2.png

Make it more and more difficult for people to have children by grinding them into the ground, yet somehow the population is magically going to grow by an extra million. Funny how they plan on that happening...

Cheers, I sent an email of support about how great hes doing and how great the government are doing, especially with Direct Provision ending in 2024. Sent it to everyone in my contacts and friends and family and they will do the same. Some already have! Thanks again.

Except you haven't really...

Gradius wrote: »
    Might as well be just stating it...

Screenshot-20210228-010921-2.png

Make it more and more difficult for people to have children by grinding them into the ground, yet somehow the population is magically going to grow by an extra million. Funny how they plan on that happening...

A million babies in 20 years... That's some amount of kids getting pumped out...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That was my first reaction.

And also it potentially could cause huge anger and resentment if asylum seekers are “bumped up” the list for housing - that logically means other ppl will be pushed back down the list?

Recipe for disaster

We are effectively becoming second class citizens in our own country. As a taxpayer, it’s starting to seem like yes, the government want you paying into the kitty, but anytime you need a dig out you are now a second class citizen.

The needs, wants and whims from everything from healthcare to housing and beyond is now at the click of their finger... arriving off a plane with a sob story.. it’s yours...

However, we will be the ones footing the bill, all the while anytime we look for a dig out... nada..

Having worked all their lives, my Dad for a long part of his life for a government agency the NSAI...my mother in education...FG took both their medical cards... my father has two medical conditions, my mother in reasonable health for her age but if anything happened, they had to appeal to get them reinstated..

Yet... arriving from overseas.. here is a place to live, medical card, cash... great..

Except you haven't really...

I have. I also told him how disgusted we all are as a nation with the racist scum in the country.

I have. I also told him how disgusted we all are as a nation with the racist scum in the country.

Why am I imagining some fella sitting down in a circle of imaginary friends as he sets out teacups and saucers for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Augeo wrote: »
    I'd sooner see a genuine asylum seeker housed over some waster who has no intention of ever working tbh who uses the excuse of disadvantage........ ie all the wasters in Dublin Inner City a stones throw from IFSC etc who's grandad became unemployed when cranes replaced dockers and no descendants worked ever since.

That is if you can find a genuine 'asylum seekers. Not many around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Note that this article presumes that people in DP are fleeing persecution.

We know, for a fact, that the majority are not.

We know that 50% arrive from the UK.

Advertisement