Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Kivaro wrote: »
    The monetary cost to implement this will be enormous. It may well break our economy. So what we can do? We can still object by simply contacting our elective representatives. It is really that simple.
    And if they do not comply, we change them.

I have a laser printer.

I have e-mail.

I have stamps.

I am willing to send 160 letters, to every TD.

Was a template circulated?

We must act on this.

Good piece here. Hopefully the government can follow through and end Direct Provision.

I agree 100%.

We should end DP.

Instead we should process AS within 24hrs at the port of entry.

decreds wrote: »
    People should be protesting against this. Fear for the future of my children

What can I do?

Other than write to all 160 TDs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭DelaneysMule

Geuze wrote: »
    What can I do?

Other than write to all 160 TDs?

You can't do anything. You're on the outs, on the fringe. The ordinary decent people in the country don't share your views.

Let that sink in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Augeo wrote: »
    I'd sooner see a genuine asylum seeker housed over some waster who has no intention of ever working tbh who uses the excuse of disadvantage........ ie all the wasters in Dublin Inner City a stones throw from IFSC etc who's grandad became unemployed when cranes replaced dockers and no descendants worked ever since.

This. While I think the new system will end being a disaster, I have absolutely no problem with people (wherever they are from) who will get up in the morning and do an honest days work to support their family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

This. While I think the new system will end being a disaster, I have absolutely no problem with people (wherever they are from) who will get up in the morning and do an honest days work to support their family.

Which is why we have channels for legal migration. These people tend to come from within the EU (freedom of movement) or on work permits to fill specific vacancies in healthcare and tech.

Do you really think offering ‘own door’ accommodation within 4 months is likely to generate a stream of grafters? Particularly when 80% - 90% of existing applications are deemed not credible..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Hamachi wrote: »
    Which is why we have channels for legal migration. These people tend to come from within the EU (freedom of movement) or on work permits to fill specific vacancies in healthcare and tech.

Do you really think offering ‘own door’ accommodation within 4 months is likely to generate a stream of grafters? Particularly when 80% - 90% of existing applications are deemed not credible..

Correct. I have no problem at all with anyone no matter of colour or religion coming here to work, integrate and raise a family and bring their skills to the country. But sadly this is not happening in the majority of cases. Does it not sink into the people in powers heads why so many asylum seekers will travel through numerous safe countries with Ireland being there one goal. Benefits and a soft government being ran from Brussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

To the troll, how does this policy benefit me or the nation? I'd really like to know.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

What is happening in Ireland at the moment regarding taking in migrants to live off the welfare system and now advertising that luxury accommodation will be supplied is a bigger threat than what we have from covid.
    The influx of migrants in some of our larger towns now is unbelievable. I think the generation coming behind will have more problems than a covid debt to pay back. More and more arrivals in this county every week yet big majority in this county leave it every week for work. Mind boggling.

Exactly. The places where they are landing are usually places that are struggling to begin with, with high unemployment and lack of services. Places that are most definitely not Ellis Island in the 1800s or British cities after the second world war, crying out for more workers. And now people in those towns have the double insult of competing with newcomers for scarce housing, school places and healthcare, while they get up at 6 to commute to their jobs far away, to pay for the newcomers. Oh and I forgot the next level of insult we're starting to see in the last year or two - they're being told they're racist and have some historic debt to pay to these newcomers.

I honestly couldn't have imagined this twenty years ago, I was very naive. And there were definitely people warning it would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

You can't do anything. You're on the outs, on the fringe. The ordinary decent people in the country don't share your views.

Let that sink in.

Did u do a survey ? How do u know this? Id love if they did do a survey of the actual taxpayers who will have to fund this.... it’s bad enough they expected to house our own useless scum who never worked and will never work... but to have to give that to the rest of the world too!! No way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I think this would be less of an issue if the average irish tax payer got a good return from the taxes they pay. But we don't. We really really don't. If you have friends and family on the continent you'll be aware of the services and infrastructure we don't get here - it's a long list.

I think this would be less of an issue if the average irish tax payer got a good return from the taxes they pay. But we don't. We really really don't. If you have friends and family on the continent you'll be aware of the services and infrastructure we don't get here - it's a long list.

When I headed away in my younger years if you didn't work you went hungry and ended up living in a kip.

Looking back it was a great experience for a young person on how life worked.

Now sadly the less you work won't definitely make you starve and could help you to some luxurious accommodation. We have come full circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Let that sink in.

A referendum on the issue could very well see the same 79% against as in the 2003 referendum on those born here getting automatic citizenship . There was even a proposal to override the referendum no doubt from lobbying NGO's .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

If anyone has the letter template they sent to their TD's, send it on to me by PM please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    If anyone has the letter template they sent to their TD's, send it on to me by PM please.

If you search my posts, you’ll find the e-mail I sent to my local TDs yesterday. I suggest you create your own content though. A quick paragraph or two will suffice. Ensure to also mail Leo Varadkar, even if he isn’t your local representative.

It’s important to have your voice heard on this misstep in migration policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

I don't have enough posts to link to this article but it's in The Journal yesterday about Cllr Uruemu Adejinmi.

See how the emphasis in this story is not that an African woman has been elected to office but as the link reads "Racism in Ireland Irish politics Irish elections and racism". It is full of unchallenged assertions and information gaps, like:

How is Ms Adejinmi "of African descent" if she arrived in Ireland in 2003? That is not correct usage of the word "descent". How did she get here? Did she claim asylum and on what basis? How does a depressed town like Longford end up with such a large African population and how many are in fulltime employment?

Ms Adejinmi says it "must help to have someone from a minority group in politics, to speak for those who feel underrepresented." So what about the other people in Longford, does she speak for them? Do most people of Longford care about "celebrating our cultural diversity" and what exactly does this mean?

There then follows a long screed about racism, and how our Gardai and judicial system are racist "proved" by her link to a 1997 study in the American Journal of Political Science. The language here is straight out of one of those courses run by Ebun Joseph, a concoction of critical race theory and other academic jargon that have little bearing on material facts or statistics. I can see no specifics, no promises that this person cares about any group other than her own, and her entire agenda seems to be self-promotion and grievance mongering. Surely the people of Longford deserve better than this?

The comments are not complimentary and the Journal is busy zapping them needless to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Hamachi wrote: »
    If you search my posts, you’ll find the e-mail I sent to my local TDs yesterday. I suggest you create your own content though. A quick paragraph or two will suffice. Ensure to also mail Leo Varadkar, even if he isn’t your local representative.

It’s important to have your voice heard on this misstep in migration policy.

Will do thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I don't have enough posts to link to this article but it's in The Journal yesterday about Cllr Uruemu Adejinmi.

See how the emphasis in this story is not that an African woman has been elected to office but as the link reads "Racism in Ireland Irish politics Irish elections and racism". It is full of unchallenged assertions and information gaps, like:

How is Ms Adejinmi "of African descent" if she arrived in Ireland in 2003? That is not correct usage of the word "descent". How did she get here? Did she claim asylum and on what basis? How does a depressed town like Longford end up with such a large African population and how many are in fulltime employment?

Ms Adejinmi says it "must help to have someone from a minority group in politics, to speak for those who feel underrepresented." So what about the other people in Longford, does she speak for them? Do most people of Longford care about "celebrating our cultural diversity" and what exactly does this mean?

There then follows a long screed about racism, and how our Gardai and judicial system are racist "proved" by her link to a 1997 study in the American Journal of Political Science. The language here is straight out of one of those courses run by Ebun Joseph, a concoction of critical race theory and other academic jargon that have little bearing on material facts or statistics. I can see no specifics, no promises that this person cares about any group other than her own, and her entire agenda seems to be self-promotion and grievance mongering. Surely the people of Longford deserve better than this?

The comments are not complimentary and the Journal is busy zapping them needless to say.

This is exactly the type of shiit that boils my blood,white irish man equals racist..

From black people employed,housed,taken care off by said white irish whilst 'flleeing for their lives' from other white..ooops no,other black People in their homelands.

Ungrateful fckers the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭enricoh

Geuze wrote: »
    Note that this article presumes that people in DP are fleeing persecution.

We know, for a fact, that the majority are not.

We know that 50% arrive from the UK.

Is that 50% figure accurate? Amazing how we never here about it in the media!
    I wonder will there be any dissenting journalists in today's papers? I doubt it, a career in journalism is shakey enough these days, much easier jumping ship to do pr for the government or ngo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

This is exactly the type of shiit that boils my blood,white irish man equals racist..

From black people employed,housed,taken care off by said white irish whilst 'flleeing for their lives' from other white..ooops no,other black People in their homelands.

Strangely enough , many of them fleeing for the "lives" return back home on holidays .

• Advertisement

Strangely enough , many of them fleeing for the "lives" return back home on holidays .

Imagine landing back home in the latest fashion telling your friends and relatives you get free health care, free accommodation, paid every week, more children you have more payment each month and you don't have to work a day if you don't want to. No wonder Ireland is the place to be.

Oh forgot if there is someone disagreeing with you just shout racist and you get your own way and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Right well i've email all my TDs (a more unappetising rogues gallery of shifty pinkos you could not hope to meet) and the minister himself with some concerns regarding

1. the need not to foster resentment by giving accommodation to people newly arrived over the heads of people waiting years.

2. the need to expedite the asylum process so people don't languish in the system for years.

One bit of good news, the Green party are down to 3% in the latest RedC poll. Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things but still nice to see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Well they know where the airport is since they came in that way.

Here's my first reply from Éamon Ó Cuív

'' As you know following the events in Oughterard in September 2019 there was a call from a wide cross section of Irish Society to end direct provision and improve the way asylum seekers are treated. As a result of this campaign, that brought very disparate groups together, the incoming FF/FG/Green government as part of the programme for government promised to radically change the process and accommodation arrangements for asylum seekers. The programme for government was passed by a large majority from each party. As a democrat I accept the vote of the majority in my party on the matter.This is the implementation of this policy as promised.

It remains to be seen what effect this will have on the numbers seeking asylum here in the years to come.

Éamon''

So that's it folks.. Suck it up Sally it's happening..
    Note he didn't even attempt any mannerisms there's no hello, dear or regards..

Seriously thinking of different shores.. Or sending my OH back in on a dingy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Let's not forget the response from housing authorities when this plan was first mentioned

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/proposed-new-housing-system-for-asylum-seekers-not-workable-says-housing-department-1.4416339

A bad deal for Ireland and Irish people.

"If the proposals are implemented, local authorities will have to use their own stock “which was meant for social housing applicants”, it states.

Introducing thousands of asylum seekers into the private housing market, where 68,000 households are already on the housing list, could “foreseeably have a displacement effect” for low to medium income families currently in rented accommodation, it adds."

Well they know where the airport is since they came in that way.

They know where it is alright , but where else are they gonna get everything handed to you on the back of the natives . Imagine a section of society that has a 40% employment rate , and yet they afford live in modern housing and have 5 or 6 children. Which in turn puts more pressure on schools , housing and healthcare not to mention the exchequer who's paying for it.

Now the government want to open the floodgates to more of this immigration, are they taking the piss or what ?

Let's not forget the response from housing authorities when this plan was first mentioned

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/proposed-new-housing-system-for-asylum-seekers-not-workable-says-housing-department-1.4416339

A bad deal for Ireland and Irish people.

"If the proposals are implemented, local authorities will have to use their own stock “which was meant for social housing applicants”, it states.

Introducing thousands of asylum seekers into the private housing market, where 68,000 households are already on the housing list, could “foreseeably have a displacement effect” for low to medium income families currently in rented accommodation, it adds."

Sure just keep putting Irish in hotels and house the Africans ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

'' As you know following the events in Oughterard in September 2019 there was a call from a wide cross section of Irish Society to end direct provision and improve the way asylum seekers are treated. As a result of this campaign, that brought very disparate groups together, the incoming FF/FG/Green government as part of the programme for government promised to radically change the process and accommodation arrangements for asylum seekers. The programme for government was passed by a large majority from each party. As a democrat I accept the vote of the majority in my party on the matter.This is the implementation of this policy as promised.

It remains to be seen what effect this will have on the numbers seeking asylum here in the years to come.

Éamon''

Typical politician response...

• Advertisement

Éamon''

Wasn't expecting anything different to be honest.

I will not be wasting my time voting for any of these wasters anymore. My vote will be held until someone steps up and starts to be a voice and work for the good of Ireland and her people.

But when they do they will face a torrid of racist and anti migrant abuse, both from migrant and domestic groups.

But if this goes ahead as planned I think the discord and totally disrespect it will endure on us as citizens will see the person who stands up well supported.

Advertisement