Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

Sure just keep putting Irish in hotels and house the Africans ..

Sure homeless Irish people can't even pitch a tent now...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/homeless-have-no-legal-right-to-pitch-tents-says-council-chief-1.4496261%3fmode=amp

Here's my first reply from Éamon Ó Cuív

'' As you know following the events in Oughterard in September 2019 there was a call from a wide cross section of Irish Society to end direct provision and improve the way asylum seekers are treated. As a result of this campaign, that brought very disparate groups together, the incoming FF/FG/Green government as part of the programme for government promised to radically change the process and accommodation arrangements for asylum seekers. The programme for government was passed by a large majority from each party. As a democrat I accept the vote of the majority in my party on the matter.This is the implementation of this policy as promised.

It remains to be seen what effect this will have on the numbers seeking asylum here in the years to come.

Éamon''

So that's it folks.. Suck it up Sally it's happening..
    Note he didn't even attempt any mannerisms there's no hello, dear or regards..

Seriously thinking of different shores.. Or sending my OH back in on a dingy..

Wow, I'm surprised you got a reply. He has an "interesting" take on the Oughterard protests. His last sentence is hilarious....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

'' As you know following the events in Oughterard in September 2019 there was a call from a wide cross section of Irish Society to end direct provision and improve the way asylum seekers are treated. As a result of this campaign, that brought very disparate groups together, the incoming FF/FG/Green government as part of the programme for government promised to radically change the process and accommodation arrangements for asylum seekers. The programme for government was passed by a large majority from each party. As a democrat I accept the vote of the majority in my party on the matter.This is the implementation of this policy as promised.

It remains to be seen what effect this will have on the numbers seeking asylum here in the years to come.

Éamon''

Unsurprising. However, I wouldn’t let that rest. It’s worth firing off a response that the the program for government should not be dictated by a fringe party who command just 3% of votes in the latest opinion poll. Let him know that you will cache his response and will ensure to share it with your friends, family, and wider circle at the time of the next GE. It’s also worth highlighting that the impact on future numbers seeking asylum is a given. This flawed policy will serve as a beacon for spurious claims. It’s highly disingenuous of him to suggest otherwise.

No harm in taking the 15 minutes to craft that response. Encourage your family, friends, and wider circle who also have concerns, to drop an e-mail to their local TDs. Do not despair. Ireland is your home and you are entitled to participate fully in the democratic process. This is only just getting started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Éamon''

That lad is the biggest wast of space and money and spends his days causing trouble for others with stupid pqs on nothing .. yet he sits quite and happy about this ...surprise surprise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

One bit of good news, the Green party are down to 3% in the latest RedC poll. Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things but still nice to see :)

I actually can't compute how they even came back.... Never mind get into such positions they got.
    Hazel Chu screaming racism in her sleep at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Éamon''

As has been mentioned already, the most dangerous thing that these people are doing is claiming that they have a consensus on their side. Unless they are mind readers, how do they know? Framing NGOs and groups with a narrow agenda as a "wide cross section of society" is disgustingly dishonest, and really goes to show the power these groups have. They are literally more powerful than elected officials.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I actually can't compute how they even came back.... Never mind get into such positions they got.
    Hazel Chu screaming racism in her sleep at this stage.

They're the Labour Party of this government....

TomTomTim wrote: »
    As has been mentioned already, the most dangerous thing that these people are doing is claiming that they have a consensus on their side. Unless they are mind readers, how do they know? Framing NGOs and groups with a narrow agenda as a "wide cross section of society" is disgustingly dishonest, and really goes to show the power these groups have. They are literally more powerful than elected officials.

I see why Hungary cracked down on these NGOs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Hamachi wrote: »
    Unsurprising. However, I wouldn’t let that rest. It’s worth firing off a response that the the program for government should not be dictated by a fringe party who command just 3% of votes in the latest opinion poll. Let him know that you will cache his response and will ensure to share it with your friends, family, and wider circle at the time of the next GE. It’s also worth highlighting that the impact on future numbers seeking asylum is a given. This flawed policy will serve as a beacon for spurious claims. It’s highly disingenuous of him to suggest otherwise.

No harm in taking the 15 minutes to craft that response. Encourage your family, friends, and wider circle who also have concerns, to drop an e-mail to their local TDs. Do not despair. Ireland is your home and you are entitled to participate fully in the democratic process. This is only just getting started.

I similarly contacted TDs back in the early 2000s about the citizenship loophole that was being exploited primarily by Nigerians in Ireland. Back in those days, the TDs would actually personally respond to such correspondence. I remember getting an email back from Minister Michael McDowell who vehemently opposed any changes to the law and he specifically said that he envisioned that it would never change. A short time later we had the referendum in 2004 and it was indeed passed by a huge majority. His opinion on the matter completely changed due to the groundswell of support from the citizens of this country.

So do not be disheartened by negative responses from them. Irish politicians are fickle and will adjust their views if they feel that they will not win their seat in the next election. If they do not hear from you, then they will just presume that you support the open borders (no cap on numbers) for all asylum seekers that the Minister of Children Roderic O' Gorman announced to the world on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

For reference, Éamon Ó Cuív's email address is: eamon.ocuiv@oir.ie

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭DelaneysMule

Kivaro wrote: »
    For reference, Éamon Ó Cuív's email address is: eamon.ocuiv@oir.ie

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,826 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Right well i've email all my TDs (a more unappetising rogues gallery of shifty pinkos you could not hope to meet) and the minister himself with some concerns regarding

1. the need not to foster resentment by giving accommodation to people newly arrived over the heads of people waiting years.

2. the need to expedite the asylum process so people don't languish in the system for years.

Well put. If asylum seekers jump to the front of the queue after 4 months (!!) in Ireland what does o Gorman and the govt think will happen next?!?

Do they think everyone else in society will just accept it or ignore????

This whole policy is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Éamon''

When the likes of O' Cuiv goes along with this, its not looking good.

I always thought he was one of the few who would question the likes of this, but sadly he seems to have joined the other group of nodding dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Wasn't expecting anything different to be honest.

I will not be wasting my time voting for any of these wasters anymore. My vote will be held until someone steps up and starts to be a voice and work for the good of Ireland and her people.

But when they do they will face a torrid of racist and anti migrant abuse, both from migrant and domestic groups.

But if this goes ahead as planned I think the discord and totally disrespect it will endure on us as citizens will see the person who stands up well supported.

Ill be doing the same, no difference between any of the top 6 parties, so no point in voting.

Just let the NGOs and NPHET run the country and save some money.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

This is an insane policy. They are so out of touch with the general public it is astonishing. People are not speaking enough.
    To do so it should be directly to the politicians and in a manner as to leave no doubt as to where most people stand on the issue.

The NGOs and lobbyists are being allowed by the politicians to become the voice of public opinion. They use them to pretend public support for this madness

The NGO industry is financed by the Government to the tune of over five and half billion Euro. A lot of already wealthy middle class people want to keep the gravy train rolling as this bogus refugee scam is very lucrative for a lot of people using taxpayers money.

The real scandal in this country is the NGO industry. It is they and the likes of the clueless Green gob****es that are rapidly setting this country on the road to irreversible ruin.
    It needs to be stopped in its tracks. Only the real public can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Éamon''

And this is why I don't vote anymore.

Pure Bull**** there.

I've sent a mail to Leo, Taoiseach and Roderic. I expect the secretary for Leo and Mick will acknowledge receipt while Roderic might preach to me about my unenlightened views and how he knows better.

I've got Friends and Family in rental traps due to the lack of accommodation. I'm seeing friends and family with children in the late teens and early twenties. Regardless of how successful they are in their future career they are staring a rental trap at over 60% of their take home income square in the face if they stay in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I've sent a mail to Leo, Taoiseach and Roderic. I expect the secretary for Leo and Mick will acknowledge receipt while Roderic might preach to me about my unenlightened views and how he knows better.

I've got Friends and Family in rental traps due to the lack of accommodation. I'm seeing friends and family with children in the late teens and early twenties. Regardless of how successful they are in their future career they are staring a rental trap at over 60% of their take home income square in the face if they stay in Ireland.

Aib have launched a new "social housing fund"

Invest in public housing today! Safe and secure return on investment as it is government backed!
    Why not own the public housing market aswel as the private

New class of landlord about to be created

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Numbers of AS coming here shot up in the late 90s when word got out that the welfare system was good and any kids they had here would get automatic citizenship, then dropped off after the 2004 referendum.

Now if word was able to get back to Africa in the late 90s that this place was an easy mark when you could count one one hand the number of people with internet access imagine what its going to be like now when everyone has a smartphone and they get wind that after 4 months a free house and healthcare is on the cards.

Its urban areas that will feel the brunt of this because thats where they will want to be housed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Ill be doing the same, no difference between any of the top 6 parties, so no point in voting.

Just let the NGOs and NPHET run the country and save some money.

It seems to be a fair reflection After listening to alot of other people and studying some of these policies they are pushing that there is not one party either in government or trying to get into government that has the citizens of this country and future generations needs and welfare at heart.

The cartel that rules from Brussels has a big part in these decisions and will only be to happy to have Ryan and his clowns to push their agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,743 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Imagine landing back home in the latest fashion telling your friends and relatives you get free health care, free accommodation, paid every week, more children you have more payment each month and you don't have to work a day if you don't want to. No wonder Ireland is the place to be.

Oh forgot if there is someone disagreeing with you just shout racist and you get your own way and more.

“ I have a concern as to the fairness of the asylum system with which the Irish citizens have been lumbered with “ ===== YOU ARE A RACIST !

I think it’s more or less time to weigh up the benefits of being IN the EU or being OUT...

We have benefited a great deal from EU membership but the minus aspects are starting to overshadow the pluses...

Free movement of goods, services and people from within the EU has worked great but the asylum bullshît...

It seems to be a fair reflection After listening to alot of other people and studying some of these policies they are pushing that there is not one party either in government or trying to get into government that has the citizens of this country and future generations needs and welfare at heart.

The cartel that rules from Brussels has a big part in these decisions and will only be to happy to have Ryan and his clowns to push their agenda.
    I assure this is not happening in Germany. The welfare system is not as generous in Ireland and they kick people off the welfare system quickly and they are then expected to pay their own way. They aren't displacing the lowly paid citizens in Germany as much because there is a genuine labour shortage in Germany. Germany still has its issues with receiving aslyum seekers but are in a better place to mitigate those issues and AfD are providing a genuine alternative party to vote for(although it may be a haunt for unreformed Racists).
    People in Ireland appear to have this feeling of guilt for the misfortunes of others in the world outside Europe which allows them to be exploited by bogus asylum seekers.
    Don't blame Europe because your enemies who are undermining your future and the future of your children are in Ireland, not Brussels.

Its urban areas that will feel the brunt of this because thats where they will want to be housed.

Somewhat.. but it'll be towns like Longford that will get most of them because the land prices have already dropped from the last batch of migrants. It's also what they've done before with past migrant groups. The move of people from the countryside into the cities has left a gap that can be filled with migrants (not a gap in work, but population).

People like to talk about all the migrants in the cities, but it's obvious that they haven't spent much time going through the smaller towns. Walking through Athlone before covid, you'd easily have days where 2 in 5 of the people around are obviously not Irish (eastern Europeans included). I've seen similar in a variety of small towns.. where the demographics heavily show the presence of other groups.

We'll see the same happen here, because it's easier for the Govt to implement, and won't have the same negative reactions. Few people in Dublin will care what happens to the midlands.. and it's easier to hide. (how many RTE shows have you seen of how rundown, and pathetic Longford has become over the last two decades? It's just ignored.. )

Don't blame Europe because your enemies who are undermining your future and the future of your children are in Ireland, not Brussels.

Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

There is one consolation to this act of national betrayal: they have finally shown their hand in all it's destructiveness for all to see.

They are no longer equivicating. Open borders with unlimited numbers received and housed before Irish people with virtually no deportations is their policy.

It is hard to fathom what is in their minds. People should be outraged and let it be known in no uncertain manner.

They will have to take direct action themselves as the media have sold out long ago.

No wonder Roderic O'Gorman got new security fencing around his house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,743 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Numbers of AS coming here shot up in the late 90s when word got out that the welfare system was good and any kids they had here would get automatic citizenship, then dropped off after the 2004 referendum.

Now if word was able to get back to Africa in the late 90s that this place was an easy mark when you could count one one hand the number of people with internet access imagine what its going to be like now when everyone has a smartphone and they get wind that after 4 months a free house and healthcare is on the cards.

In the meantime... population will skyrocket but so will the bill to facilitate them...

There 100% won’t be enough Gardai, we won’t have the ability to pay for the numbers needed... won’t be enough dosh to pay enough wages to attract the best candidates, buy enough cars, vans, bikes etc, .. or keep stations open... despite this crime will be increasing, prison places already at a premium so the law is LESS of a deterrent... as punishment will be even LESS proportional to the crimes...

Hospital treatment / places will be at a premium, so will home care... all the new arrivals will be entitled, WE won’t... more medical cards will exit the wallets of Irish tax payers as the new arrivals will be facilitated preferentially...

The EU has an obsession with diversity... I wouldn't be surprised if they're behind a lot of this, for their own reasons of course...

https://ec.europa.eu/migrant-integration/news/housing-crisis-in-ireland-prevents-refugees-from-moving-out-of-direct-provision

The EU has an obsession with diversity... I wouldn't be surprised if they're behind a lot of this, for their own reasons of course...

https://ec.europa.eu/migrant-integration/news/housing-crisis-in-ireland-prevents-refugees-from-moving-out-of-direct-provision

Did you read that? Did you see who posted it. Teresa at the immigrant council.
    That is no statement of E.U. policy.
    That is the enemy closer to home which I referred to just above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Honestly the Direct Provision system aint perfect but the honest solution is to crack down on the appeals process and increase deportations. They need to come down hard on this. I've no issue with legitimate grounds for Asylum or for those coming legally but the only way to utterly discourage any sort of economic migration is to detain and deport them much quicker. The appeals process is being abused which means it needs to be clamed down and made so they cannot appeal more than once.

Saying they're going to give Asylum seekers houses when people here are struggling to even afford to buy one is just going to backfire spetacularly and this should be shot down very quickly.

• Advertisement

Somewhat.. but it'll be towns like Longford that will get most of them because the land prices have already dropped from the last batch of migrants. It's also what they've done before with past migrant groups. The move of people from the countryside into the cities has left a gap that can be filled with migrants (not a gap in work, but population).

People like to talk about all the migrants in the cities, but it's obvious that they haven't spent much time going through the smaller towns. Walking through Athlone before covid, you'd easily have days where 2 in 5 of the people around are obviously not Irish (eastern Europeans included). I've seen similar in a variety of small towns.. where the demographics heavily show the presence of other groups.

We'll see the same happen here, because it's easier for the Govt to implement, and won't have the same negative reactions. Few people in Dublin will care what happens to the midlands.. and it's easier to hide. (how many RTE shows have you seen of how rundown, and pathetic Longford has become over the last two decades? It's just ignored.. )

Not getting into a wider conversation on this, but there are asylum seekers in my home town, much smaller then longford. No issues.
    There was a DP centre there in the early 2000s also, there were no issues.

Advertisement