Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

The majority of the 10,000 Irish homeless you quote are actually Non Irish.

:pac: ahhh the country is ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

That's because no one wants to admit they've just made Irish people 2nd class citizens in their own country

Well lets hope the are reminded of that when the come knocking on doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Young people of Ireland. Those of you complaining about living at home with your parents, sky high rents and unaffordable houses.

This must be a real kick in the teeth for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    :pac: ahhh the country is ****ed.

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If councils purchase houses/apartments for 3500 people in year one what happens in year 2,3,4 etc

Is the plan to keep buying up houses year on year for asylum seekers?

What happens if in year 2 5000 turn up? More houses bought up.

This is the most hair brained, super woke, anti Irish move to come out of any Irish government in a long time.

That’s basically what’s happening... you have an Irish government, no sorry.. Irish politics, basically discriminating against Irish people... by prioritizing the
    wellbeing of asylum seekers over that of the Irish people...

We will have reduced ability to procure the healthcare we need.. i in fact was DENIED healthcare...

We will have reduced ability to earn good wages as tax will increase..

We will see a hike in PAYE, PRSI, excise duty, vat, prsi...

Irish people will be down the housing lists, fûck all access to healthcare, taxed to fûck on our earnings and hard work...

We are basically becoming second class citizens in our own country... for the first time in my life, I’m dreading to think what sort of shîtshow country we’ll be forced to exist in , in say 20-30 years...

You can already see and feel anti EU sentiment, I can see sometime within 10 years or so, a push for a referendum for us to exit.... problem being whatever government is in power will drag the fûck out of it, attempt to delay and sabotage it..

It’s not really a very democratic place, not really a democratic continent...I’m starting to believe now we will be better off outside of the EU.... as citizens of a democratic country... will we have that say ?

Euro skepticism is on the rise in the EU...

France, Czech Republic and Greece have had PEW studies that suggested as of 2019 that if each county was given a referendum... a ‘leave’ result would be likely...close but likely.

Skepticism is on the rise here too,.WHY .???...We are rapidly becoming second class citizens in our own country.

An old aunt of mine a very well travelled lady through her career in music and entertainment, a very mild mannered, tolerant, open minded and open hearted person and based in London, said... “ the British here can afford it, Ireland can’t, won’t, if you ever get a referendum, get out before it’s too late “... I thought she was a bit dramatic, a bit wild with those views but it’s looking true...

The EU has shot itself and every member state in the head with its immigration policy...

No EU state needs to be a charity for anybody, to anybody...look after your taxpayers and wherever else is in trouble, let them resolve it themselves...

• Advertisement

It's pretty much what Dublin is implementing, we were always a bit too quick to bend over backwards for the EU, along with the 2040 Ireland plan we're Coveney is on record as saying that half of that million would not be born in Ireland.

I found that under the "integration" link that's highlighted on their Web page.

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/financing/fundings/migration-asylum-borders/asylum-migration-integration-fund_en

If you look at what the European Commission has been saying recently, they are saying that people who should be deported should not be integrated and rather the focus should be on a quick turnaround time. The Commission is pushing the pact on migration which would see a 12 week turnaround for likely unsuccessful asylum seekers, they are not pushing own door in 12 weeks for everyone like the current Government has decided should be the standard

"Thirdly, returns should be executed more quickly. The proposal foresees the establishment of a fast-track process for migrants whose asylum applications are likely to be unsuccessful. These are nationals of countries with a positive response rate to asylum applications of less than 20%, such as Tunisia or Morocco. In these cases, the asylum application would be processed at the border and within 12 weeks. Ylva Johansson, European Commissioner for Home Affairs, stressed in a hearing at the French Senate on 5 November 2020 that an accelerated process would avoid the permanent settlement of migrants, such as professional or social integration, who do not have the right to stay and would thus facilitate the return for the administrations, but also for the migrants themselves. "

https://www.robert-schuman.eu/en/european-issues/0577-understanding-the-new-pact-on-migration-and-asylum

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Geuze wrote: »
    ESRI RESEARCH SERIES NUMBER 72
    June 2018

IRELAND’S RESPONSE TO RECENT TRENDS IN INTERNATIONAL PROTECTION APPLICATIONS

https://www.esri.ie/system/files/media/file-uploads/2018-06/RS72.pdf

See section 3.4, page 24.

3.4 BORDER CONTROL
    Bangladeshi and Pakistani applicants accounted for 50 per cent of all asylum
    applications in Ireland in 2015, at 9 per cent and 41 per cent respectively (see
    Figure 1.4). The majority of these applicants, according to IPO, had previously been resident in the UK. The influx of Bangladeshi and Pakistani applicants contributed to asylum application figures doubling between 2014 and 2015 (see Figure 1.3).

The Minister for Justice and Equality reported that the Irish government was
    working with the authorities in the UK to address the issue of young men from
    Bangladesh and Pakistan who were present on UK visas there coming to Ireland to seek asylum (Lynch, 2015).

Section 81 of the International Protection Act 2015 amends the Immigration Act 2004 and was commenced on 10 March 2015. Section 81 introduces additional powers to immigration officers to refuse leave to land, allowing refusal where a person who ‘entered the state for the purpose of extending his or her stay in the said CTA [Common Travel Area] regardless of whether or not the person intends to make an application for international protection’.
    UNHCR observed that section 81 was intended to act as a deterrent to a certain
    profile of migrants, but that to date it had not been used in practice.

Banglasdesh and Pakistan are poor countries.

Are these AS genuine? Obviously not.

But is it our responsibility to house illegal immigrants from these places? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

If you look at what the European Commission has been saying recently, they are saying that people who should be deported should not be integrated and rather the focus should be on a quick turnaround time. The Commission is pushing the pact on migration which would see a 12 week turnaround for likely unsuccessful asylum seekers, they are not pushing own door in 12 weeks for everyone like the current Government has decided should be the standard

"Thirdly, returns should be executed more quickly. The proposal foresees the establishment of a fast-track process for migrants whose asylum applications are likely to be unsuccessful. These are nationals of countries with a positive response rate to asylum applications of less than 20%, such as Tunisia or Morocco. In these cases, the asylum application would be processed at the border and within 12 weeks. Ylva Johansson, European Commissioner for Home Affairs, stressed in a hearing at the French Senate on 5 November 2020 that an accelerated process would avoid the permanent settlement of migrants, such as professional or social integration, who do not have the right to stay and would thus facilitate the return for the administrations, but also for the migrants themselves. "

https://www.robert-schuman.eu/en/european-issues/0577-understanding-the-new-pact-on-migration-and-asylum

This sounds good, although I'd prefer 1 week instead of 12 weeks.

Process the claims at the border, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'd like to know who the genius was 20 years that came up with the idea of letting failed asylum seekers appeal decisions multiple times and Joe and Josephine Public should foot the bill for it.

Why isn't it ever mentioned in the media that this is the reason the process takes so long.

And even when a deportation is finalised they can disappear and show up a few years later after popping out a few kids and we all know there is zero chance of kicking them out then.

id imagine at the start , it was mostly the legal profession who saw dollar signs in a system which allowed multiple appeals

then the SJW class arrived and it became an article of faith for that lot to close down DP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

Young people of Ireland. Those of you complaining about living at home with your parents, sky high rents and unaffordable houses.

I seem to remember Micheal Martin when they hobbled this government together after Sinn fein did so well in the elections stating :

"we've listened to the people and they want change"

Well folks this is your change....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Geuze wrote: »
    3.4 BORDER CONTROL
    Bangladeshi and Pakistani applicants accounted for 50 per cent of all asylum
    applications in Ireland in 2015, at 9 per cent and 41 per cent respectively (see
    Figure 1.4). The majority of these applicants, according to IPO, had previously been resident in the UK. The influx of Bangladeshi and Pakistani applicants contributed to asylum application figures doubling between 2014 and 2015 (see Figure 1.3).

The Minister for Justice and Equality reported that the Irish government was
    working with the authorities in the UK to address the issue of young men from
    Bangladesh and Pakistan who were present on UK visas there coming to Ireland to seek asylum (Lynch, 2015).

Section 81 of the International Protection Act 2015 amends the Immigration Act 2004 and was commenced on 10 March 2015. Section 81 introduces additional powers to immigration officers to refuse leave to land, allowing refusal where a person who ‘entered the state for the purpose of extending his or her stay in the said CTA [Common Travel Area] regardless of whether or not the person intends to make an application for international protection’.
    UNHCR observed that section 81 was intended to act as a deterrent to a certain
    profile of migrants, but that to date it had not been used in practice.

Banglasdesh and Pakistan are poor countries.

Are these AS genuine? Obviously not.

But is it our responsibility to house illegal immigrants from these places? No.

I hope are immigration officers know that most of the grooming gangs who've been raping and preying on underage girls in Britain are of pakistani descent .

No. Small countries are at the mercy of larger countries, or trade associations. Ireland going it alone, or even some bizarre association with the UK, would cripple the country.. Asia has put together a trade/economic association. We can't count even remotely on the US, since they'll always bully to get what they want.

Hopefully, few Irish will be foolish enough to believe the hype about Ireland doing wonderful economically, since most of it's on paper, while costs continue to rise. The economic landscape for the next decade is likely to be dismal for any western nation, but Ireland without the protection and the markets of the EU? Meh. It doesn't bear thinking about.

Let's be brutally honest here. We have **** politicians with no backbone, and a disregard for the interests of Irish people. The problem is not with the EU. The problem is with our politicians. Fix that, and the EU will sort itself out, as we might have some leadership capable of pointing the EU towards more sensible policies, with the support of countries like Denmark, and France.

In any case, across Europe, the multiculturalism experiment has failed, with the general population coming to recognise it, in spite of the media/governments being overly protective of immigration. Denmark is already making serious moves against immigration and multiculturalism. France is likely to follow somewhat. Sweden is unlikely to continue being as they are, considering the range of problems they're facing. The Mediterranean countries, such as Spain/Italy, already have crap economies, and face the brunt of immigration from Africa, so will likely support any initiatives to constrain it.

Things will change. They tried to push immigration/multiculturalism, and it's failed. Badly. And the few governments like Ireland who want to embrace it, are going to be facing greater opposition across Europe, and likely will fold, once Germany gives up completely on financing it. Which is likely, since Germany won't escape the coming economic problems either.

Nah. Forget about leaving the EU. Focus on changing the perception of people here in Ireland towards immigration and multiculturalism... and maybe, just maybe, there will be an informed populace ready to stick it to our politicians, when the option to curtail immigration comes up.

I seem to remember Micheal Martin when they hobbled this government together after Sinn fein did so well in the elections stating :

The younger generation were most vocal when it came to ending dp. You could say that they brought this upon themselves.

O Gorman a nobody from a party that 93% of the population didn't vote for.
    What a country

Sinn Fein are massively pro immigration, they want citizenship handed to asylum seekers unrestricted.. when the Irish government back in 2015 wanted to cap the number of asylum seekers at 600, Sinn Fein said, “ that’s an inadequate number “... so... Sinn Fein are not pro Irish citizens, they are simply using the asylum angle as a potential vote getting from certain communities..

Strumms wrote: »
    That’s basically what’s happening... you have an Irish government, no sorry.. Irish politics, basically discriminating against Irish people... by prioritizing the
    wellbeing of asylum seekers over that of the Irish people...

We will have reduced ability to procure the healthcare we need.. i in fact was DENIED healthcare...

We will have reduced ability to earn good wages as tax will increase..

We will see a hike in PAYE, PRSI, excise duty, vat, prsi...

Irish people will be down the housing lists, fûck all access to healthcare, taxed to fûck on our earnings and hard work...

We are basically becoming second class citizens in our own country... for the first time in my life, I’m dreading to think what sort of shîtshow country we’ll be forced to exist in , in say 20-30 years...

You can already see and feel anti EU sentiment, I can see sometime within 10 years or so, a push for a referendum for us to exit.... problem being whatever government is in power will drag the fûck out of it, attempt to delay and sabotage it..

It’s not really a very democratic place, not really a democratic continent...I’m starting to believe now we will be better off outside of the EU.... as citizens of a democratic country... will we have that say ?

Euro skepticism is on the rise in the EU...

France, Czech Republic and Greece have had PEW studies that suggested as of 2019 that if each county was given a referendum... a ‘leave’ result would be likely...close but likely.

Skepticism is on the rise here too,.WHY .???...We are rapidly becoming second class citizens in our own country.

An old aunt of mine a very well travelled lady through her career in music and entertainment, a very mild mannered, tolerant, open minded and open hearted person and based in London, said... “ the British here can afford it, Ireland can’t, won’t, if you ever get a referendum, get out before it’s too late “... I thought she was a bit dramatic, a bit wild with those views but it’s looking true...

The EU has shot itself and every member state in the head with its immigration policy...

No EU state needs to be a charity for anybody, to anybody...look after your taxpayers and wherever else is in trouble, let them resolve it themselves...

I would dearly love to see it, really should have been left at the EEC when it actually worked. People need to decide if they want a place to call home, a culture and identity or be fumblers in the greasy till under the EU, if not get out while we still have the vestiges of a country left with politicians that are some way accountable to their people.

It bugs the living **** out of me that the EU looks at countries like some kind of economical spread sheet and doesn't take into account the effects migration has on societies, social cohesion, services, crime etc.

There is no reasoning with this organisation when it comes to migration, I've followed their social media for years with thousands complaining to them over it, an arrogant and unresponsive lot.

Sinn Fein are massively pro immigration, they want citizenship handed to asylum seekers unrestricted.. when the Irish government back in 2015 wanted to cap the number of asylum seekers at 600, Sinn Fein said, “ that’s an inadequate number “... so... Sinn Fein are not pro Irish citizens, they are simply using the asylum angle as a potential vote getting from certain communities..

When a lot of their core voters that have being on the housing list for years see the likes of a 20 year old asylum seeker getting the keys to a new house after being in the country only a few weeks.
    The might soon change their tune.

mgn wrote: »
    When a lot of their core voters that have being on the housing list for years see the likes of a 20 year old asylum seeker getting the keys to a new house after being in the country only a few weeks.
    The might soon change their tune.

I think, the damage that the citizens of this country will be forced to endure before that though, ughhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

I fear that all the multicultural brainwashing they have been exposed to from the education system and the media has rendered them incapable of recognising the source of their problems.

quintana76 wrote: »
    I fear that all the multicultural brainwashing they have been exposed to from the education system and the media has rendered them incapable of recognising the source of their problems.

Build more houses they will chant.

The pot is empty. The pandemic has drained the funds. Enjoy living with mammy or that over priced house share into your late 30s.
    And most importantly dont forget to welcome your new neighbours. They might invite you into their new house for a tour.

It bugs the living **** out of me that the EU looks at countries like some kind of economical spread sheet and doesn't take into account the effects migration has on societies, social cohesion, services, crime etc.

It does. The EU does heaps upon heaps of research on the effects of it's policies. You can view a lot of it online on one of their portals. The problem is one of politics, and bureaucracy. Less so, the knowledge of what's going on.. there are just too many interested parties involved.

I think people have focused too much on the politicians, and forgotten to consider the range of departments that continue working in the background. It's those departments that control the flow of information, how it's presented to the world, and the personal opinions of people influenced by the NGO's, the media, etc will have more effect.
    There is no reasoning with this organisation when it comes to migration, I've followed their social media for years with thousands complaining to them over it, an arrogant and unresponsive lot.

And.. who is better? The UN is far worse. Going is alone is not a realistic option. Not any more.

• Advertisement

I would dearly love to see it, really should have been left at the EEC when it actually worked. People need to decide if they want a place to call home, a culture and identity or be fumblers in the greasy till under the EU, if not get out while we still have the vestiges of a country left with politicians that are some way accountable to their people.

Well put..the EEC / EU was to benefit EUROPE, it’s countries and citizens .

The EEC was created by the treaty of Rome in 1957...the TFEU replaced that treaty, interesting reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

There are many suspect housing developments popping up around Dublin and elsewhere, obviously ear-marked for not-you. They are for the benefit of everyone but locals, yet are masqueraded as such. Sneaky, in other words. Trojan horses galloping around the country freely.

This direct provision debacle is simply a tentacle of the overall problem.

Asking politicians for anything is less and less effective, especially as they work toward the most disenfranchising element of political involvement; a person's home.

Take away a person's home, or potential to have a home, and you fracture and dilute community and stakeholdership. It's a really good idea, because the more disenfranchised the electorate become, the more politicians and lobbyists get away with.

To the point: when the government attempts to foist large amounts of "whoever" into small towns there has only been one truly effective response that ended all theatrical debate, discussion, worries, fears, doubts, campaigns and countless, usually fruitless efforts. They were burnt to a crisp, and that was immediately the end of the story. Immediate.

If some Canadian fund wants Irish people to pay for their retirements in Canada, no point in it being there.

If a German investment fund wants to buy swathes of land, there's no point it being there anymore.

If a Chinese bank wants to buy up blocks of apartments, there's no point in them being there anymore.

If something is not for you yet is also a net negative for your overall life, get rid of it. Swift, decisive, effective.

Well put..the EEC / EU was to benefit EUROPE, it’s countries and citizens .

The EEC was created by the treaty of Rome in 1957...the TFEU replaced that treaty, interesting reading.

These centralised power structures rarely work, the superstates leaders constantly have to intervene to hold it together, what I'm more concerned about is when it does collapse the chaos that will ensue, ethnic conflict too just like when the USSR collapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Jane98 wrote: »
    How was it changed?

I remember reading somewhere that it was streamlined - I think it was by reducing the number of stages in the appeals process.

These centralised power structures rarely work, the superstates leaders constantly have to intervene to hold it together, what I'm more concerned about is when it does collapse the chaos that will ensue, ethnic conflict too just like when the USSR collapsed.

The EU as a concept, the positive parts..

Free movement of people ( around the EU ) and goods, trade, security etc... all with cooperation, worked... it was / is democratic... fair, workable..

The fûcking immigration stick up ? It’s killing it. Or the EU is killing itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

They're taken the piss, how is DP inhumane? It's a hell of a lot better from where they came from, even tap water would be a luxury...... Get out of that with your, "look at how I'm living here, it's inhuman"... From the photos above it looks very comfortable, it looks like the room is messed up for the camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

After we went to Level 5 at Christmas and they shut down all construction except for special projects and the building of social housing, we now know why it was so important for the government to continue with social housing projects during the worldwide pandemic. There are people currently living in Africa and Pakistan who will be the recipients of these state-of-the-art, highly rated social houses that are being built specifically for this purpose now. They will get these new houses and they will have them free for life.

The end result of this unfair program that favours asylum seekers over the indigenous population in Ireland will see many young Irish people having to emigrate due to the lack of affordable homes. So not only will this new system result is Irish people being made homeless, but it will also result in Irish people being to forced to leave their own country. History will not look back kindly at the elected representatives in Ireland who are responsible for this outrageous act. They are a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

They're taken the piss, how is DP inhumane? It's a hell of a lot better from where they came from, even tap water would be a luxury...... Get out of that with your, "look at how I'm living here, it's inhuman"... From the photos above it looks very comfortable, it looks like the room is messed up for the camera.

Believe me that's like a palace beside some of the digs I was in early 80s and 90s.

That photo was probably taking before the cleaner arrived, you would hardly expect the poor man to do it himself would you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Believe me that's like a palace beside some of the digs I was in early 80s and 90s.

......which you had to pay for !

Advertisement