Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Response from Deputy Emer Higgins, FG.
    FFs. I'm taking a breather before responding.

Are these people stupid, or do they think the Irish people are?

Seems pretty stupid to reward people who don't get a decision 4 months rewarding them for spurious appeal, or rewarding them for a systems incompetence. This will affect actual asylum badly, who deserve aid integrating.

Someone mentioned trains, was only a few years ago Leo was telling us we had no money to order trains "thanks to FF".

An absolute shower of bull****ters

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Meirleach

Response from Deputy Emer Higgins, FG.

This programme will be run completely separate from the current social and public housing programme, both of which are ongoing. The main point is that this programme will not replace or infringe on any other commitments in the programme for government.

Yikes, is that dedicated/ring fenced housing then for potentially failed asylum seekers? Talk about jumping the queue....

Thank you for posting all the replies, and to everyone else who has done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

[Do I live in a parallel world where we have plentiful houses, many young (and old) professionals arent living at home as they can't afford to buy, and we aren't 20BN per year in debt with a possible upcoming depression caused by a global pandemic?

Oh wait....
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/business/finance-minister-donohoe-warns-taxes-will-rise-after-covid-40160291.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭decreds

Strumms wrote: »
    I think it won’t either... anytime soon.

You have the more lunatic elements of the left who just want open doors, open borders and open banks to pay and house these folks with...

When there isn’t a bean left to replace trains, build roads and other infrastructure as well as to maintain a functional healthcare system for us the taxpayers ( it’s already creaking) and that’s pre covid.. they’ll begin to change their tune..

When their sick parent after a stroke is hoping for funding to get into the NRH so they can walk again, after a stroke, nerve disorder, car crash.... and get told NO...

Yet see us facilitate ‘new arrivals’ with homes, transport, cash, Heath, clothing .... hmmmmm

What other country can I go to and they build me a home, pay me a wage for doing nada and free state of the art healthcare... FREE ???

I honestly can't think of one sensible reason why we offer the sun world and stars to them for nothing. The EU must have a gun to our head, i'm not one for tin foil hat theories but there most be something sinister going on to justify this lunacy, it's effectively attempts at population replacement.

Quote from Emer Higgins response:

"Many people who have come to Ireland as refugees have become citizens and are now working in many of the sectors that have proved essential during the Covid-19 pandemic, and this is the ultimate goal of the revised direct provision system."

No facts, just word soup. Can she provide some statistics on the percentage of these "refugees" who become citizens and sit on welfare for the rest of their days? I also find it ironic that many of these "refugees", once housed and given a paddy passport regularly holiday back to the country they "fled" from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,493 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

decreds wrote: »
    I honestly can't think of one sensible reason why we offer the sun world and stars to them for nothing. The EU must have a gun to our head, i'm not one for tin foil hat theories but there most be something sinister going on to justify this lunacy, it's effectively attempts at population replacement.

Me too.. having thought about it a bit, maybe...

As the country enters into a situation where we’ve seen an influx of arrivals, that certain political party’s want to be remembered in the minds of these communities for generations to come as having given them a dig out, facilitating their opportunities, wellbeing etc... it’s political.

Any party seen to ‘just’ give them what they might be entitled to could be labeled as anti immigration or anti immigrant or even racist.

Doesn’t matter what collateral damage is done to Irish people, our communities and the country, our country as a whole... we are simply being sold down the river, by the very people we EMPLOY to represent US and look after our interests, our wellbeing first and foremost. But we are becoming or have become second class citizens, an afterthought..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

"Many people who have come to Ireland as refugees have become citizens and are now working in many of the sectors that have proved essential during the Covid-19 pandemic, and this is the ultimate goal of the revised direct provision system."

No facts, just word soup. Can she provide some statistics on the percentage of these "refugees" who become citizens and sit on welfare for the rest of their days? I also find it ironic that many of these "refugees", once housed and given a paddy passport regularly holiday back to the country they "fled" from.

I noticed that myself, its like the sweetener they throw in

Strumms wrote: »
    Me too.. having thought about it a bit, maybe...

As the country enters into a situation where we’ve seen an influx of arrivals, that certain political party’s want to be remembered in the minds of these communities for generations to come as having given them a dig out, facilitating their opportunities, wellbeing etc... it’s political.

Any party seen to ‘just’ give them what they might be entitled to could be labeled as anti immigration or anti immigrant or even racist.

Doesn’t matter what collateral damage is done to Irish people, our communities and the country, our country as a whole... we are simply being sold down the river, by the very people we EMPLOY to represent US and look after our interests, our wellbeing first and foremost. But we are becoming or have become second class citizens, an afterthought..

Nail on the head

If you were trying to build a superstate it's an effective way to dissolve nations and strong national identities, to make new "EU citizens" because EU citizens don't object to the EUs plans.... I find it repugnant and utterly psychopathic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Why can't they get that barta crowd to build these new centers like the co-living shoebox shíte they are trying to get us to move into.

It's still going to cost a bomb but surely cheaper than building tons of houses and apartments everywhere.

They can stay there until the process is complete and then get jobs and **** off and rent or buy their own places.

• Advertisement

If you were trying to build a superstate it's an effective way to dissolve nations and strong national identities, to make new "EU citizens" because EU citizens don't object to the EUs plans.... I find it repugnant and utterly psychopathic

Psychopathic yes, but if one was a psycho in that situation, it is a decent plan.

Psychopathic yes, but if one was a psycho in that situation, it is a decent plan.

Once your culture and identity is gone there's no coming back..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

It all sounds like avoiding the root cause of the issue, like fixing a leak by placing a series of buckets under it or holding your hand over the leak forever...as opposed to just turning off the water at the source.

All this talk of building custom asylum facilities and new housing projects and the inevitable cost of running these facilities/stipends given to the asylum seekers and the easiest and cheapest solution in the long run is to just hire more people to process the applications faster! Thats why this situation of people stuck in DP for years came from; the sheer lethargy of the application system. They werent being held there for kicks, or for us all to have a laugh at; it was their applications were so backlogged. And no mention of attempting to speed this up, just make it more comfortable for them.

Has there been any mention in this white paper of term limits for the "own door/room" stay? Or for the allowed to work part? Will there be much point in work visas for Ireland anymore? Will it be a 6 month/1 year and then need renewal or just a crate blanche freedom to work in Ireland until your application is processed, because I can see people come over here and give fake info to try drag out the already sluggish system for a longer stay. Plus, weve not the best reaction to any ever attempting to remove someone from a house, and can see the NGO sector exploding in whinginess when some long term applicant is finally denied and asked to leave "his/her house" and defended by said NGOs.

It makes little sense anyway. Ireland has it's own pool of skilled workers to work in those industries, and I know from a variety of people (who are currently looking for work), that's it's not that easy to get positions regardless of your high education and skills. Due to covid, there's quite a few people who have been let go from their previous jobs.

I suspect she's referring to the low-skilled labor which gets hired in nursing homes, who don't do criminal record checks, or any real kind of background check, but just want bodies to do the work. Again, though, we (and the EU) have a significant pool of people capable of doing that work.

This is the ultimate goal of the revised direct provision? Yup. As you said, it's just word soup. It just shows the amount of contempt many politicians have for the electorate when they throw out crap like this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

An ESRI study in 2018 found that the employment rate for African migrants to Ireland was just 45 percent, compared to 66 percent for Irish nationals.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1107/1009164-esri_migrants/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

O Donoghue with the taxes to increase stuff and knowing my taxes will be funding this sh1te when I can't afford something close to what they'll get myself is just a real kick in the balls. Government just don't give a fcuk about us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Response from Darragh O'Brien FF.
    His own housing dept said it's an absolute insane plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Response from Jennifer Carroll MacNeill Fine Gael
    From the outset, I should highlight that work is now underway on a detailed implementation plan for the commitments made in the White Paper. But that this development of a new Programme of building and purchasing units will be completely separate to work already ongoing to increase supply of housing, both private and social. So, the accommodation will be additional to what is already planned.

I absolutely acknowledge, and am working with people in this situation, that the housing lists are long and the there is a housing crisis in this country, but the white paper will not impact or set us back further.

I have raised the need to plan for the problems we may face post Covid multiple times and know plans are under way – we saw this last week with additional funding of €10m in funding for mental health services. This is just one small part of a wider plan to assist everyone in our country return to normal and get back on their feet. This White Paper and its commitments are a step t ending Direct Provision which is currently hugely problematic and needs to be ended.

Ireland is a signatory to the 1951 United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees which obliges us to provide protection to people fleeing their country for reasons including their race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion. Everyone has a right to seek asylum, and asylum seekers are legally allowed remain in Ireland while their case is being decided. I would also highlight how many people have come to Ireland as refugees in recent years and are now citizens working and contributing in many of the sectors that have proved essential during the Covid-19 pandemic.

I understand we may not agree on this, but I feel the recent announcement is a positive step forward specifically in relation to improving the living conditions of those who come to our country for protection. We have a responsibility to ensure that applicants for International Protection are treated fairly and respectfully while applying for protection, and that their basic needs are met. That responsibility doesn’t take away from the fact that citizens in Ireland should expect the same. But as I’ve highlighted the recent announcement does not take away from work already ongoing to improve the housing situation in our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭enricoh

Just checked daft to see what's available to rent a few mile up the road from me in balbriggan. There is 6 properties to rent in total of which 3 are 3 bed semi's. The 3 beds range from e1950 to e2190.
    Working locals have no hope competing against the government who will pay any money, 60 odd % on fingals housing list in 2011 weren't irish born. It'll get worse as they hoover up everything to hand to asylum seekers.
    Working paddy may move up the road to newry 3 beds to rent from 520-750 stg.
    The sooner we go wallop the better, the imf should run the country permanently, they don't require woke points!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

2 out of the 4 replies that I received indicated that the plan should proceed in their opinion due to it being part of the programme for government. Their answers were a complete cop-out.

One of the main reasons why support for Fianna Fail has descended into abysmal numbers in recent years is their gung ho support for social housing. It seems that it was their number 1 item to focus on. Yet, they will receive little to no votes from the people who get these new social homes, while their usual voter base is struggling with the cost of rents, mortgages, and affordable homes, but they are completely ignored by Fianna Fail.

Now it appears that many Fianna Fail TDs are very supportive of this DP replacement plan, which is going to cost the country a small fortune to implement at a time when we can least afford it. It is bewildering, but it may also explain why Fianna Fail has now only 14% support according to the most recent poll. They completely lost touch with the majority of the public, and it is only worse that they are getting.

• Advertisement

Response from Jennifer Carroll MacNeill Fine Gael

Yeah but at the end of the day, migrants will be getting housed after 4 months, Irish people will still be waiting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

What amazes me about the responses that we've seen so far on here is that all of these politicians are making the assumption that every asylum seeker is genuine. We know that this is the complete opposite to the reality, where it has been shown in numerous reports that the majority of those who apply for asylum are rejected. Yet those people who are rejected after endless appeals will still be provided with own-door housing indefinitely. When they eventually get leave-to-remain since they are not deported, they will have their free homes for life.

This is unfair and morally unjust.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Do love the accommodation will be additional to already planned lines like that what they've planned is sufficient to meet demand anyway. Any house built or bought for a refugee/economic migrant is a house directly less for an Irish person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

Kivaro wrote: »
    What amazes me about the responses that we've seen so far on here is that all of these politicians are making the assumption that every asylum seeker is genuine.

Only 39 people sought asylum in Ireland in 1992, but the number of asylum seekers exploded to 11,634 in 2002.

Did we have a massive increase in wars, persecutions, etc., during that decade that could explain this dramatic influx of people apparently fleeing for their lives and needing protection? No ... it's evident that Ireland's booming economy of the later '90s and 2000s was a magnet to people seeking a better life in a prosperous country.

Note that the number of asylum seekers dropped off dramatically again after 2008, only to pick up again in 2014 as the economy recovered.

There's an unmistakable correlation between the health of the Irish economy and the numbers of asylum seekers flocking to our shores — which only makes sense if the vast majority of them are, in fact, economic migrants.

Invidious wrote: »
    Only 39 people sought asylum in Ireland in 1992, but the number of asylum seekers exploded to 11,634 in 2002.

Did we have a massive increase in wars, persecutions, etc., during that decade that could explain this dramatic influx of people apparently fleeing for their lives and needing protection? No ... it's evident that Ireland's booming economy of the later '90s and 2000s was a magnet to people seeking a better life in a prosperous country.

Note that the number of asylum seekers dropped off dramatically again after 2008, only to pick up again in 2014 as the economy recovered.

There's an unmistakable correlation between the health of the Irish economy and the numbers of asylum seekers flocking to our shores — which only makes sense if the vast majority of them are, in fact, economic migrants.

And there you have it, I don't remember any of this in the 80s...i wonder does anyone in government know what you've posted..

enricoh wrote: »
    Just checked daft to see what's available to rent a few mile up the road from me in balbriggan. There is 6 properties to rent in total of which 3 are 3 bed semi's. The 3 beds range from e1950 to e2190.
    Working locals have no hope competing against the government who will pay any money, 60 odd % on fingals housing list in 2011 weren't irish born. It'll get worse as they hoover up everything to hand to asylum seekers.
    Working paddy may move up the road to newry 3 beds to rent from 520-750 stg.
    The sooner we go wallop the better, the imf should run the country permanently, they don't require woke points!

That is absolutely shocking, what sane society would allow this.

Boiling frog comes to mind, it will be spot the Paddy within a generation.

Brilliant work done by those messaging these TD's:

Can someone post the contacts to each TD so others can contact them?

I also think we should question them on their naivety in thinking that each case in DP is legitimate, when clearly it is the minority.

Yeah but at the end of the day, migrants will be getting housed after 4 months, Irish people will still be waiting..
    Correct, that is indisputable.
    This will not 'speed up' the horrendous waiting times for Irish citizens (no matter their colour in case a flock of dopes clamber into the thread)

16 weeks versus multiple years stretching to well over a decade in thousands of cases

That wait time cannot be plamased away nor improved upon by putting even more pressure on creaking resources.

Except for what our Government is proposing to do is exactly contrary to what the EU is trying to bring in with their pact on migration, Ireland have an opt out on that pact and the discussion that was had on it in the European Affairs Committee so far showed no indication that they intend to sign up.

The pact on migration would have an expedited stream of 3 months for nationals of countries with a less than 20% asylum success rate.

" In these cases, the asylum application would be processed at the border and within 12 weeks. Ylva Johansson, European Commissioner for Home Affairs, stressed in a hearing at the French Senate on 5 November 2020 that an accelerated process would avoid the permanent settlement of migrants, such as professional or social integration, who do not have the right to stay and would thus facilitate the return for the administrations, but also for the migrants themselves. "
    https://www.robert-schuman.eu/en/european-issues/0577-understanding-the-new-pact-on-migration-and-asylum

The EU is not pushing this in my opinion, we're the only country I've heard going on about integrating people who likely have bogus claims. Of course then when they're integrated you can remove them, its a roundabout way to have open borders

• Advertisement

Invidious wrote: »

And don't forget our bumbling jus soli paradise between 1998-2004 which is directly accountable for the majority of scams during that time.
    And who put an end to that? The Irish people in their droves.
    From 2014 the reincarnated increase of scammers can be directly landed at the feet of the rise of critical theory as the dominant narrative in offical Ireland.

Advertisement