Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

enricoh wrote: »
    Just checked daft to see what's available to rent a few mile up the road from me in balbriggan. There is 6 properties to rent in total of which 3 are 3 bed semi's. The 3 beds range from e1950 to e2190.
    Working locals have no hope competing against the government who will pay any money, 60 odd % on fingals housing list in 2011 weren't irish born. It'll get worse as they hoover up everything to hand to asylum seekers.
    Working paddy may move up the road to newry 3 beds to rent from 520-750 stg.
    The sooner we go wallop the better, the imf should run the country permanently, they don't require woke points!

I wouldn't rent in balbriggan if you paid me, I've a cousin who moved out of it last week after years living there, any guesses why?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Find it amazing that everything now comes down to covid...

They're making out that all refugees came here,are working and all saving us from covid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Find it amazing that everything now comes down to covid...

They're making out that all refugees came here,are working and all saving us from covid

Well of course, they're all doctors sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Meirleach wrote: »
    Yikes, is that dedicated/ring fenced housing then for potentially failed asylum seekers? Talk about jumping the queue....
    Astounding that they are going to have a separate housing fund just for asylum seekers. So Roderic O' Gorman is creating a two-tier society in Ireland with favouritism towards asylum seekers; specifically with the speed for when they get their own-door housing. This sounds illegal (unconstitutional) to me, and the Irish Government will indeed be sued in court over this.

In related news, our Finance Minister laid the groundwork today for increased taxes in order to pay for the massive Covid bill. So on one hand, the government will spend inordinate amounts of money on asylum housing for everyone who wants to come to our little island, while simultaneously increasing already high taxes on workers in Ireland.

These politicians in Dáil Éireann are living in a fantasy land if they think that this is acceptable to the majority of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,493 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wouldn't rent in balbriggan if you paid me, I've a cousin who moved out of it last week after years living there, any guesses why?

My cousin is there too, she’d get out in a heartbeat.. absolutely gorgeous house, a nice small newish estate, 3 minute walk to the shop, petrol station, hairdressers and pub... but anti social crime / behavior is on the increase too.... from indigenous Irish but also gangs of immigrant backgrounds... , I’ve just for the first time did a bit of googling and erm, I’d be looking to reside elsewhere let’s just say...

When I lived abroad I made it my business to be respectful of my surroundings, my adopted home and didn’t cause any difficulties or problems for my adopted countrymen and women... I arrived there to work, to contribute and what I received I earned... many of these on the other hand...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

Kivaro wrote: »
    Astounding that they are going to have a separate housing fund just for asylum seekers. So Roderic O' Gorman is creating a two-tier society in Ireland with favouritism towards asylum seekers; specifically with the speed for when they get their own-door housing. This sounds illegal (unconstitutional) to me, and the Irish Government will indeed be sued in court over this.

In related news, our Finance Minister laid the groundwork today for increased taxes in order to pay for the massive Covid bill. So on one hand, the government will spend inordinate amounts of money on asylum housing for everyone who wants to come to our little island, while simultaneously increasing already high taxes on workers in Ireland.

These politicians in Dáil Éireann are living in a fantasy land if they think that this is acceptable to the majority of this country.

Excellent post.

To me, it reads as if the woke tail of the Green Party is wagging the dog here, typified as usual by a lot of high-minded rhetoric about inclusion and social justice, but zero understanding of economics or how these discriminatory moves will be perceived by people who are not disproportionately middle-class urban lefties.

The Irish people are now explicitly being told that priority in housing will be given to people who stepped off a plane four months ago — while their own woes with social housing, high rents, etc., continue unabated. Almost half of young Irish people aged between 25 and 30 are still living at home with their parents because they can't get social housing, can't get a mortgage, or can't afford rents.

A backlash to the ultra-woke politicians, NGOs, and media is long overdue in Ireland, and I think this latest move might just be the flashpoint, given how emotive an issue housing is in this country.

Here we go....

Money has to come from somewhere other then the magic tree.....

https://www.independent.ie/business/finance-minister-donohoe-warns-taxes-will-rise-after-covid-40160291.html

Invidious wrote: »
    Excellent post.

To me, it reads as if the woke tail of the Green Party is wagging the dog here, typified as usual by a lot of high-minded rhetoric about inclusion and social justice, but zero understanding of economics or how these discriminatory moves will be perceived by people who are not disproportionately middle-class urban lefties.

The Irish people are now explicitly being told that priority in housing will be given to people who stepped off a plane four months ago — while their own woes with social housing, high rents, etc., continue unabated. Almost half of young Irish people aged between 25 and 30 are still living at home with their parents because they can't get social housing, can't get a mortgage, or can't afford rents.

A backlash to the ultra-woke politicians, NGOs, and media is long overdue in Ireland, and I think this latest move might just be the flashpoint, given how emotive an issue housing is in this country.

And older...

We had no choice but to move back in order to save

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Excellent post.

But how? Instead people will blame economic migrants or life long unemployed.

Its those that enable this that should be put under pressure and there is NOONE credible to oppose them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Yup, I'm 31 and still live at home and likely will for another 2-3 years at this stage with house prices (and I just have to hope they don't continue to increase).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 james1976

No its not.

This lie las been debunked many times.

I think the figure(s) was more in the region of half million, it's on the cards alright. Ireland 2040 or something along those lines was the name of the campaign in the media at the time.

Kivaro wrote: »
    What amazes me about the responses that we've seen so far on here is that all of these politicians are making the assumption that every asylum seeker is genuine. We know that this is the complete opposite to the reality, where it has been shown in numerous reports that the majority of those who apply for asylum are rejected. Yet those people who are rejected after endless appeals will still be provided with own-door housing indefinitely. When they eventually get leave-to-remain since they are not deported, they will have their free homes for life.

This is unfair and morally unjust.

It's not just that... they're using the requirement that Ireland should accept Asylum seekers, as an excuse to allow large numbers to be accepted, and not just those who would be considered 'traditional' asylum seekers.

While all countries are required to keep themselves open to accepting some amount of Asylum seekers, the numbers involved, and how they're chosen is up to the individual nation (within certain guidelines). Many of the politicians replies seem to expect that we should accept everyone that applies, based on that supposed requirement.

Rather than helping those genuinely in need of help.. and being capable (due to a lesser drain on resources) to provide adequate and effective help.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I reckon some TDs are going to be getting a bit worried as more emails from voters starting arriving in their inbox, I think the Government just thought everyone was going to roll over and say nothing.

Its not the economic migrant they will be knocking on the door to when the next GE comes around and they might want to remember that.

I see Anne Rabbitte, our local TD is fully behind this.

I reckon some TDs are going to be getting a bit worried as more emails from voters starting arriving in their inbox, I think the Government just thought everyone was going to roll over and say nothing.

Its not the economic migrant they will be knocking on the door to when the next GE comes around and they might want to remember that.

I see Anne Rabbitte, our local TD is fully behind this.

That’s what we have being doing.. we were not too bothered when everything was rosy, jobs a plenty, social services such as healthcare readily attainable to us taxpaying Irish citizens ...

Now we are going to have to buck up and stick up for ourselves or be buckled under.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Response from Jennifer Carroll MacNeill Fine Gael

Looks like Jennifer Carroll MacNeil needs to have her stupid opinions kicked into touch.

She quotes the UN directives as though "there's nothing I can do even if I wanted to!"

Unsurprisingly, she simultaneously "forgets" the direct contraventions of the Dublin Regulation 3 laws and how the directives are broken daily.

How coincidental, perhaps even convenient, you might say!

Time for her to go, and all the rest of the fakers with her ilk. Keep the letters coming, let people see the audacity from these harmful politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

decreds wrote: »
    Quote from Emer Higgins response:

"Many people who have come to Ireland as refugees have become citizens and are now working in many of the sectors that have proved essential during the Covid-19 pandemic, and this is the ultimate goal of the revised direct provision system."

No facts, just word soup. Can she provide some statistics on the percentage of these "refugees" who become citizens and sit on welfare for the rest of their days? I also find it ironic that many of these "refugees", once housed and given a paddy passport regularly holiday back to the country they "fled" from.

Unsubstantiated, vague bullshyt.

Emer Higgins, there's another one that needs to go. They are directly harmful to Irish society, simple as that.

A list needs to be made of these people that are pro and con, and a choice quote or two from each to show the shyte theyre trying to peddle.

An informed population is the worst nightmare for these charlatans. Just show them for who they are.

I wish someone would email this thread to TDs... Completly out of touch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Gradius wrote: »
    An informed population is the worst nightmare for these charlatans. Just show them for who they are.

Indeed. As an ordinary citizen, the best thing you can do is speak to and educate your family, friends, colleagues, and wider circle on the implications of this policy. Encourage them to write to their local politicians and ensure that this is raised when they materialize on our door steps at the next GE.

I feel hopeful that a sensible, center right counter force will emerge in Ireland within the next decade. As the jus soli referendum showed, the overwhelming majority of the Irish electorate are pretty rational when it comes to migration. It’s just their voices are drowned out by a noisy minority pushing an agenda.

This status quo won’t persist forever. Somebody charismatic will emerge, giving voice to the concerns currently bubbling under the surface. Hopefully the push back happens before the current ‘regime’ inflicts too much economic, social, and demographic damage on our beautiful country.

Strumms wrote: »
    Now we are going to have to buck up and stick up for ourselves or be buckled under.

Just wait for it. RTE and the Irish Times will be characterizing Irish people sticking up for themselves as the rise of the far right.

Just wait for it. RTE and the Irish Times will be characterizing Irish people sticking up for themselves as the rise of the far right.

The Irish Times are sticking their head in the sand, they have not published any letters to the editor about the DP reforms. I don't by any stretch of my imagination believe they got none so they're purposely not publishing them because they know the vast majority of Irish people don't agree with whats been proposed

• Advertisement

The Irish Times are sticking their head in the sand, they have not published any letters to the editor about the DP reforms. I don't by any stretch of my imagination believe they got none so they're purposely not publishing them because they know the vast majority of Irish people don't agree with whats been proposed

Meanwhile, the Guardian has published a whinging piece from Bulelani Mfaco, spokesperson for the Movement of Asylum Seekers in Ireland, who writes "from his shared bedroom in direct provision" to complain that the proposed reforms are not good enough.

Bet we got another installment of "New to the parish" though....

100%

Next you’ll have some woke numb skull announcing the in dail the introduction of supermarket cards in addition to medical cards which they are already in receipt of and my parents who payed tax and both worked in state jobs until they retired both had medical cards taken away...

They can probably next go into any supermarket and have 300 euros a week worth of free shopping payed for by us the taxpayer :rolleyes:

Might sound far fetched, but if the government are handing out accommodations and property free gratis from our pool of money, what is a bit of shopping.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭DerekC16

Varadkar said today the ireland 2040 plans will have to be revised as we are in a vastly different place now than they we were when those plans were made. Make of that what you will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭DelaneysMule

I wish someone would email this thread to TDs... Completly out of touch

Seeing that they are out of touch with a small bunch of national party supporters on an internet forum probably isn't going to have any significant impact I would think.

Seeing that they are out of touch with a small bunch of national party supporters on an internet forum probably isn't going to have any significant impact I would think.

Funny because I haven't seen much support about it across various social media since it was announced, I don't know what sane Irish person would..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭DelaneysMule

Funny because I haven't seen much support about it across various social media since it was announced, I don't know what sane Irish person would..

Could that be because of who you follow in your social media accounts I wonder.

Could that be because of who you follow in your social media accounts I wonder.

Nope but now that I have you here I'm sure you're going to provide evidence of this "overwhelming support"

Or are you going to scurry off like you did the last time and pop up again in a few days...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Jacinda Arden would be far right in Ireland

Poor record on climate change
    Poor/awful record on social houses
    Restrictive Immigration policies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Jacinda Arden would be far right in Ireland

Poor record on climate change
    Poor/awful record on social houses
    Restrictive Immigration policies

But she is a woman, converses with Rock Stars and American TV Chat Show hosts.

And, crucially, did not like Trump.

So she is a hero to some.

Advertisement