Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭Sand

jay0109 wrote: »
    If there were any real journalists left in this country, some of them would by now have gone to Nigeria to do a follow up on the bauld Pamela and see how things are going for her.
    Of course they won't because odds are that she has settled back into her middle class Nigerian life and it's much the same as it was before she decided to up sticks and travel to Ireland.

I wonder would the likes of Gript do a follow up? It would make a great story

Journalism used to claim they were speaking truth to power. Then power bought media, so that now journalism simply speaks for power.

jmreire wrote: »
    Does he still have his passport, I wonder???

He was studying here, went home to South Africa for a holiday and then came back to claim asylum https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/direct-provision-it-stank-there-was-no-privacy-it-was-like-military-camp-1.3629323

Its pretty obvious hes an economic migrant but I'm 99% sure he'll kick up so much of a fuss he'll be allowed to stay.

So far Pamela seems to be the only one who has kicked up a fuss and not been allowed to stay, since social media has become a thing, I can't think of a single person who has gone to the media and still been deported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

The End to DP plan is all well & good but it has its limitations & I'm very intrigued about how the 4 month own-door plan will work; we can't build sufficient social housing stock as it is to cater for those already on our housing waiting list be they Irish, Polish, UK or Brazilian (of origin or "Paper Irish").

If the own door properties, like flats or apartments are to be sourced from private landlords be they vulture funds or individual (that's how some DP Centres're secured; Es of I're sought in local & national press, sometimes on e-Tenders website etc.) landlords.

But then what do you say to the person, a single mum of 1 or 2, a single Dad of 1 or 2, a couple, a single person on the list for 1+ years or in emergency accommodation?

If we're going down the open door option then surely just add those in the asylum system to the list in whichever local authority their current DP centre happens to be; I get that some counties don't have a DP centre & others have a multitude but that's just how the cookie crumbles.

By all means house someone on their merits but this will create a divide for sure.

As for bogus asylum seekers; of course we have some; the South African guy featured here being a case in point & Pamela Iz with her kids; imagine if Facebook & Twitter'd been as active then?
    She'd've never left.

We do do deportations but it's so rare.

I think there's merit to retaning our DP Centres; when a deportation order is issued the person needs to be rounded up & housed; too many're no shows & go OTR, head to NI, UK, Europe etc. or go on to live & work in black economy.

Also we need clearing houses; hence DP; we have those on CSPs who come in on S4 Visas; I'd imagine they're subject to some form of checking by Irish Embassies/Consulates in their countries but an asylum seeker isn't; they're automaticly processed & not it seems sent back to their 1st Safe Country; is this because under Schengen or Dublin Agreement the EU knows there'd be too much of an onus on a single country so we all have to take our share?

EU citizens can pretty much come & go as they please; so DP centres're our only way of assessing people; the fact there's about 6,500 in the system at any one point is down to how chaotic it is; it drags on too long.

Come in, sent to Baleksin RIA Centre; we process your claim & give you a decision within 6 month; that gives you 6 months to get your s**t together to further or validate your claim.

You get 1 Appeal; you've 3-6 months to furnish it; if you don't it's on you; if your appeal is without merit you're detained & held in a DP Centre; this is to prevent you doing a runner but deportations to happen within a timely period; like gone within a fortnight whether it be to SA, Iraq etc.

There's too many taking advantage & the amounnt of quangos, NGOs at local, regional & national level; it's like the homelessness industry; it needs to be streamlined; the Migrant Rights Council of Ireland, Immigration Council of Ireland & Irish Refugee Council are just 3 NGOs I'm aware of; anyone care to name others please?

Then you have MASI; a union of asylum seekers basically; they go on tour holding events; they held one where I live in January 2020 I think; how the f they can afford to hire halls, arts & cultural spaces, hotel ballrooms etc. is beyond me.

Look at Ellie Kisyombi; Soc Dems candidate; the Sunday Times ran a story on her before LE 2019 exposing holes but the Soc Dems still ran her........

Few weeks back same paper ran a story on some Eritrean lad who has a p/t time-share it seems to live rent free in the Immigrant Council of Irelands founders mews; he also stays elsewhere nearby with his missus & fam & has been part of ICIs entourage going to Eritrea; now you'd think if his life was in that much danger, even with Irish ARU accompanying, that he wouldn't take such a risk; you'd be wrong.....and codded.

Same lad was bringing other Eritreans up the road to Belfast in his taxi; probably didn't even see it as people traficking/smuggling since they were nice & cosy in front & back seat of a warm car instead of packed in like sardines in an articulated truck with no oxygen.

Strangely no comment from ICI to Sunday Times or Gript; in receipt of State funding there should be an onus on them to make comment & the guys accommodation, while personal to ICIs founder, should be revoked if she has any sense; his cab licence needs to be suspended & indeed permanently revoked; anyone who does this, whether PSV or lorry etc. should be disqualified from driving temporarily or permnently if possible legally.

His asylum decision needs to be looked at too to be polite.

There are legit cases; 100% but it's the 1% (?) who f it up for rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    ..There are legit cases; 100% but it's the 1% (?) who f it up for rest of them.
    Sean Deegan was a member of the Refugee Appeals Tribunal. Over 6 years, he heard 500 cases of asylum, approved two.
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/07/03/out-of-500-cases-i-let-two-people-in/
    https://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/programmes/2016/0921/818177-liveline-wednesday-21-september-2016/
    Sir,
    Breda O’Brien (“Inhumane asylum seeker system needs radical reform“, Opinion, March 23rd) states, “Our current system also prevents asylum seekers from finding work, and forces them to depend on the meagre bounty of the State. One man said to me that if you had worked in your own country, not even being allowed to apply for a job is like torture.”

If this gentleman she refers to had a job in his own country, why is he looking for the protection of this State – protection that he is claiming, as an asylum seeker, is not available to him in his home country, for such is what a real refugee is.
    This man, clearly, is an economic migrant and not a refugee, similar to the undocumented Irish in the US.
    – Yours, etc,
    Sean Deegan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

decreds wrote: »
    I honestly can't think of one sensible reason why we offer the sun world and stars to them for nothing. The EU must have a gun to our head, i'm not one for tin foil hat theories but there most be something sinister going on to justify this lunacy, it's effectively attempts at population replacement.

Interesting to see what way the UK fairs out in the next few years with Brexit done n dusted. It might provoke more to leave this abysmal setup.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭DelaneysMule

Great article here on helping mothers in Direct Provision. Thank God DP is ending

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/helping-hand-initiative-to-help-mothers-in-direct-provision-1.4499209
    Children living in direct provision have their human rights breached regularly, according to a report by the Irish Centre for Human Rights at NUI Galway in November 2020. DP also affects children’s education as parents who cannot work cannot afford school supplies, and “the living conditions in direct provision centres routinely fail to provide adequate space for asylum-seeking children to complete homework and study to support their education”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Great article here on helping mothers in Direct Provision. Thank God DP is ending

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/helping-hand-initiative-to-help-mothers-in-direct-provision-1.4499209

More dogsh!t "journalism".
    Children living in direct provision have their human rights breached regularly, according to a report by the Irish Centre for Human Rights at NUI Galway in November 2020. DP also affects children’s education as parents who cannot work cannot afford school supplies, and “the living conditions in direct provision centres routinely fail to provide adequate space for asylum-seeking children to complete homework and study to support their education”.

A good journalist would highlight some of these claims, instead of forcing people to go looking for the report. Why is there not a reference with a direct link to the report?

Here's the supposed breaches of human rights

"Journalists" should all be on a stage somewhere, because journalism should not be a field for dramatics, yet it is.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Is any work ever done by these organisations, ot wider organisations such as the UN in tackling or preventing human rights breaches in countries from which seekers hail?

For instance 7 percent of applicants in 2019 came from South Africa, a founding member of the UN, are the UN doing anything to improve life for South Africans?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

TomTomTim wrote: »
    More dogsh!t "journalism".

A good journalist would highlight some of these claims, instead of forcing people to go looking for the report. Why is there not a reference with a direct link to the report?

Here's the supposed breaches of human rights

"Journalists" should all be on a stage somewhere, because journalism should not be a field for dramatics, yet it is.

fFS..... I have as many of these problems myself as an Irish citizen born and bred and don’t see anyone sorting them out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

jay0109 wrote: »
    If there were any real journalists left in this country, some of them would by now have gone to Nigeria to do a follow up on the bauld Pamela and see how things are going for her.
    Of course they won't because odds are that she has settled back into her middle class Nigerian life and it's much the same as it was before she decided to up sticks and travel to Ireland.

I wonder would the likes of Gript do a follow up? It would make a great story

The most shocking thing about this story is that it was stated that there were no plans to review the system.

This is a legal gravy train, and it is not possible to tackle this vested interest. If only the Troika had stayed another 6 months ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    The End to DP plan is all well & good but it has its limitations & I'm very intrigued about how the 4 month own-door plan will work; we can't build sufficient social housing stock as it is to cater for those already on our housing waiting list be they Irish, Polish, UK or Brazilian (of origin or "Paper Irish").

If the own door properties, like flats or apartments are to be sourced from private landlords be they vulture funds or individual (that's how some DP Centres're secured; Es of I're sought in local & national press, sometimes on e-Tenders website etc.) landlords.

But then what do you say to the person, a single mum of 1 or 2, a single Dad of 1 or 2, a couple, a single person on the list for 1+ years or in emergency accommodation?

If we're going down the open door option then surely just add those in the asylum system to the list in whichever local authority their current DP centre happens to be; I get that some counties don't have a DP centre & others have a multitude but that's just how the cookie crumbles.

By all means house someone on their merits but this will create a divide for sure.

As for bogus asylum seekers; of course we have some; the South African guy featured here being a case in point & Pamela Iz with her kids; imagine if Facebook & Twitter'd been as active then?
    She'd've never left.

We do do deportations but it's so rare.

I think there's merit to retaning our DP Centres; when a deportation order is issued the person needs to be rounded up & housed; too many're no shows & go OTR, head to NI, UK, Europe etc. or go on to live & work in black economy.

Also we need clearing houses; hence DP; we have those on CSPs who come in on S4 Visas; I'd imagine they're subject to some form of checking by Irish Embassies/Consulates in their countries but an asylum seeker isn't; they're automaticly processed & not it seems sent back to their 1st Safe Country; is this because under Schengen or Dublin Agreement the EU knows there'd be too much of an onus on a single country so we all have to take our share?

EU citizens can pretty much come & go as they please; so DP centres're our only way of assessing people; the fact there's about 6,500 in the system at any one point is down to how chaotic it is; it drags on too long.

Come in, sent to Baleksin RIA Centre; we process your claim & give you a decision within 6 month; that gives you 6 months to get your s**t together to further or validate your claim.

You get 1 Appeal; you've 3-6 months to furnish it; if you don't it's on you; if your appeal is without merit you're detained & held in a DP Centre; this is to prevent you doing a runner but deportations to happen within a timely period; like gone within a fortnight whether it be to SA, Iraq etc.

There's too many taking advantage & the amounnt of quangos, NGOs at local, regional & national level; it's like the homelessness industry; it needs to be streamlined; the Migrant Rights Council of Ireland, Immigration Council of Ireland & Irish Refugee Council are just 3 NGOs I'm aware of; anyone care to name others please?

Then you have MASI; a union of asylum seekers basically; they go on tour holding events; they held one where I live in January 2020 I think; how the f they can afford to hire halls, arts & cultural spaces, hotel ballrooms etc. is beyond me.

Look at Ellie Kisyombi; Soc Dems candidate; the Sunday Times ran a story on her before LE 2019 exposing holes but the Soc Dems still ran her........

Few weeks back same paper ran a story on some Eritrean lad who has a p/t time-share it seems to live rent free in the Immigrant Council of Irelands founders mews; he also stays elsewhere nearby with his missus & fam & has been part of ICIs entourage going to Eritrea; now you'd think if his life was in that much danger, even with Irish ARU accompanying, that he wouldn't take such a risk; you'd be wrong.....and codded.

Same lad was bringing other Eritreans up the road to Belfast in his taxi; probably didn't even see it as people traficking/smuggling since they were nice & cosy in front & back seat of a warm car instead of packed in like sardines in an articulated truck with no oxygen.

Strangely no comment from ICI to Sunday Times or Gript; in receipt of State funding there should be an onus on them to make comment & the guys accommodation, while personal to ICIs founder, should be revoked if she has any sense; his cab licence needs to be suspended & indeed permanently revoked; anyone who does this, whether PSV or lorry etc. should be disqualified from driving temporarily or permnently if possible legally.

His asylum decision needs to be looked at too to be polite.

There are legit cases; 100% but it's the 1% (?) who f it up for rest of them.

This is only a white paper- it has no legal force.
    It's an easy way to fulfil the green electoral mandate and virtue signal, while also "ring fencing" money to build a new reception cente, similar to the existing one. So someones going to make a few quid there.

It also states that the legal process will be shortened - that will never, ever happen.

The "own door" accommodation will also never, ever happen.

This is one of the many kisses of death the greens will get in this government.

There is no politician with the interest.or the spine to tackle the issue of international protection as it relates to Ireland in any common sense way.

Your point on the media silence around the ICCI Eritrean guy shows us that the great and the good are involved.
    No need for a tinfoil hat here, this is business as usual in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Feadog999

Another FF TD got back to me this morning

" Thanks (redacted). There is certainly logic in what you say. I will bring these matters before our parliamentary party for discussion. "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

zell12 wrote: »

“I would have dealt with, I’d say, about, probably, roughly in around 500 cases. I let in two people in six years. Two ladies, one from Moldova and one from Nigeria. The majority of the cases were not refugees, within the meaning of the statute, or within the meaning of the United Nation’s declaration on refugees, that was quite obvious.”

“It is clear that the majority of people were actually trafficked into this country and then that these people obviously had to have money to get this far. And one’s to surmise that the real refugees are left back at home. Those who can’t afford to pay the trafficker.”

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭enricoh

“I would have dealt with, I’d say, about, probably, roughly in around 500 cases. I let in two people in six years. Two ladies, one from Moldova and one from Nigeria. The majority of the cases were not refugees, within the meaning of the statute, or within the meaning of the United Nation’s declaration on refugees, that was quite obvious.”

“It is clear that the majority of people were actually trafficked into this country and then that these people obviously had to have money to get this far. And one’s to surmise that the real refugees are left back at home. Those who can’t afford to pay the trafficker.”

I heard this guy on the local radio a few years ago but couldn't remember his name. The presenter hadn't done his homework and assumed this was just yet another 'inhumane direct provision' etc interview.
    It was gas, the presenter didn't know what to say at the end of it, after yer man spelled out that the vast majority of asylum seekers were bogus. Huge numbers of them weren't even from the country they claimed to be as experts would analyse the accents
    He was public enemy number one for the ngo's as he didn't buy the BS stories.
    He was replaced with an ngo approved head and as a result approval rates increased massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Esho wrote: »
    This is only a white paper- it has no legal force.
    It's an easy way to fulfil the green electoral mandate and virtue signal, while also "ring fencing" money to build a new reception cente, similar to the existing one. So someones going to make a few quid there.

It also states that the legal process will be shortened - that will never, ever happen.

The "own door" accommodation will also never, ever happen.

This is one of the many kisses of death the greens will get in this government.

There is no politician with the interest.or the spine to tackle the issue of international protection as it relates to Ireland in any common sense way.

Your point on the media silence around the ICCI Eritrean guy shows us that the great and the good are involved.
    No need for a tinfoil hat here, this is business as usual in Ireland.

the Greens will benefit from this as the kind of people for who,m " closing DP " is important , are likely to vote Green

Reply from Micheal Martins office...

''Dear xxx

Further to your email to the Taoiseach Micheál Martin T.D., I have forwarded your correspondence to the Minister for Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth, Roderic O’Gorman T.D. for attention.

Yours sincerely''

Not my monkey-not my circus springs to mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Feadog999

Reply from Micheal Martins office...

''Dear xxx

Further to your email to the Taoiseach Micheál Martin T.D., I have forwarded your correspondence to the Minister for Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth, Roderic O’Gorman T.D. for attention.

Yours sincerely''

Not my monkey-not my circus springs to mind...

Department of Finance / Pascal did the same to me. They sent it to Helen McEntee though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

This white paper literally makes no sense as it is based on the assumption that everyone who says the magic word "asylum" at one of the ports of entry is actually a refugee. This is seriously flawed logic and these lofty goals just will not work for a variety of reasons.

1) Do the powers that be not realise the pull factor this will encourage? Why would an "asylum seeker" go anywhere else in Europe when they get the whole 'farm' here in good aul Éire and honestly who'd blame them.
    2) The majority of applicants for asylum are actually economic migrants. These are facts and changing to dedicated individual housing combined with the right to work and very little deportations is an unsustainable cycle and will only increase numbers looking to apply with no one ever being deported. Do people actually believe that failed applicants will be removed from these turn key houses/apartments etc? Not on your nelly. Also the right to work makes things very complicated they could be on excellent money and still have free private housing with no contribution towards it.
    3) Appeals and Judicial reviews will ensure every rejected case will still go on for years. At the end of it the person will be given at least permission to remain and sit in said house for as long as they want it. Even persons who have been granted asylum in another EU member states can appeal the decision to not let them apply here and some cases have been overturned. Oh and of course these people are all accommodated etc while these appeals/JRs are on going.
    4) Where will these accommodations comes from? There is already a housing crisis in this country and they throw this in on top of it? Good idea.
    5) Too many NGOs along with the legal profession have immigration as a whole tied up in knots.
    6) the current system needs to be faster at decision making and faster appeals but there should be an actual cycle and people have to start being deported again as they used to. Otherwise this will all come crashing down the dam will burst. If you've already been granted in another member state you should be turned around at the airport and refused entry to claim asylum.
    7) The dublin process is broken - basically you have to apply in the first safe country. The problem is you have applicants who have applied in 5/6/7 countries and even if Ireland have an accepted 'take back' to that state the person can just vanish for a prescribed amount of time and then will be Ireland's problem again.

Bottom line is no one leaves Ireland unless they want to (apart from a very small percentage of cases). Who will ever leave when they have free private housing, free medical and food, clothes etc? This is fine for persons who have been granted and are in fact refugees - that small fact seems to have been missed somewhere along the way.

Well it was written by NGOs so none of the above is surprising

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Well it was written by NGOs so none of the above is surprising

Your post made be go looking up MASI and I came across nonsense like this

While the White Paper has some positive changes including the end of shared living spaces for families and supports for children, it does have problematic areas that make it difficult to hold the State accountable without putting the provision of accommodation and other supports for asylum seekers on a statutory footing. Other people in Ireland have their rights codified in law in relation to accommodation and welfare payments, and this will not be the case for asylum seekers. MASI calls on the Houses of the Oireachtas to insist on legislating for these changes in how asylum seekers are to be treated in the State. Further, the International Protection Act must be amended to include a statutory limit on how long an asylum seeker is to await a decision on their asylum claim. Otherwise we’ll still be talking about backlogs and limbo in the asylum system in a few years time. And the Minister for Justice must implement the recommendation to grant permission to remain to people who have been in the system for 2 years at the end of December 2020 as recommended by the Catherine Day Advisory group.

Importantly, the Irish Refugee Council and other groups called on the government to increase the weekly allowance paid to asylum seekers during the pandemic. The government rejected these calls and asylum seekers have had to rely on donations. MASI has provided 140 new laptops to students in Direct Provision who were left with no support from the government when Covid-19 restrictions were imposed. Other groups such as Every Child Is Your Child are still collecting tablets for students to facilitate studying in difficult conditions in Direct Provision. The White Paper remains mute on asylum seekers experiencing poverty in Direct Provision today as not all asylum seekers are allowed to work.

These groups are pure chancers. It's never enough, they always want more. I honestly feel sorry for genuine asylum seekers, as unfortunately they get lumped in with these ingrates.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Your post made be go looking up MASI and I came across nonsense like this

These groups are pure chancers. It's never enough, they always want more. I honestly feel sorry for genuine asylum seekers, as unfortunately they get lumped in with these ingrates.

Its not exactly a coincidence one of the founders of MASI have been in the system more than two years is it? Not a bit self serving at all (and idiotic, appeal enough and we will give in and let you stay). That reccomendation alone shown the direction it was going in, and it should have been binned.

There are genuine refugees and people needing asylum that need (and get help). I would wager on average the more noise made by people like those in MASI the less likely they are genuine.

I am sure they do some good work (maybe) but seeing some of the online hate campaigns they have organised had turned ne right off them. How are they funded?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Sedik Hadad is a resident in Knockalisheen Direct Provision Centre in Meelick. He is a family man, who comes from a war-torn Saudi Arabia. He explained that many of his friends that escaped to Europe received asylum quickly but that since coming here, COVID-19 has made the process extremely difficult for him. “At this moment my case is under study even though I suffered from depression and I tried to end my life twice because of this routine that robs a person of his right to live a decent life.”

https://www.clareecho.ie/plans-to-end-direct-provision-welcomed-as-asylum-seekers-warn-of-mental-torture-associated-with-living-conditions/

We will be housing “refugees” from “war torn Saudi Arabia.”

The media in this country is an absolute shambles. No so called journalist will call this nonsense out for what it is. Economic migrants masquerading as genuine asylum seekers to gain residency in the state and access to the social welfare system.

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    https://www.clareecho.ie/plans-to-end-direct-provision-welcomed-as-asylum-seekers-warn-of-mental-torture-associated-with-living-conditions/

The media in this country is an absolute shambles. No so called journalist will call this nonsense out for what it is. Economic migrants masquerading as genuine asylum seekers to gain residency in the state and access to the social welfare system.

Thanks to Eoghan Murphy, whats good enough for our own young mortgage payers unable to afford a house, isn't good enough for individuals like Bulelani Mfaco,

"The White Paper still maintains some element of congregated setting by having a group of asylum seekers (up to 10) share living spaces such as the kitchen, lounge and dining areas. He expressed that even if they have own bedroom, the shared living space with nine other strangers may well necessitate house rules and some sort of management which maintains an institutional setting."

Sure isn't it like a "Trendy, boutique hotel"

Again, its those that make the most noise with the most spurious claims. Its such a laughable college paper piece.

We need to process as quickly as possible and help those in need (one appeal max). It is the fairest most humane way and would cost alot less than the current system, as well as aiding genuine refugees and those granted asylum to integrate better.

Shocking lack of stats available on length of time /appeals etc. But sure all funding the legal gravy train.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭enricoh

Jaysus a mate of mine is working out in saudi, I better get onto him n tell him to get out of dodge!
    Now give that poor man his free house, saudi is too hot in the summer n he can use Ireland as his european base, sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

On more than one occasion I heard asylum seekers interviewed about the reasons why they sought refuge in Ireland, and the response was "I would like Ireland to be my second home".

Now literally, if our Children's minister Roderic O' Gorman gets his wish, asylum seekers will indeed get their second home, for free, within 4 months of arriving at our cold, wet island on the farthest reaches of western Europe.

Since many asylum seekers arrive here via places like France, I now wonder if I could do the reverse and fly into France and get a free second home there, declaring asylum from the insanity of liberal left policies of my home country where the indigenous population (the Irish) are discriminated against for housing and most probably other services also. The French would probably provide psychiatric counselling to me, as they would not believe that people from all corners of our globe could just fly into Ireland and get a free home all for themselves if they issue the magic word "asylum".

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/local-authority-housing-rules-discriminate-against-minorities-report-1.4500968

You couldn't make this up. Who are Mercy Law and who is funding them?

Local authorities *already* favour recent arrivals because they are more likely to present as homeless and non EU families tend to be larger than average. It is very obvious to people in certain parts of the country that "graduates" of DP are being given large allocations of scarce social housing stock. As recently as the early 1990s local newspapers used to publish the names of families allocated social housing. Can you imagine if they did that now and people saw concrete proof of what they already know?

Michael Creed (FG in Cork NW) asked a number of questions about DP this week. Nothing particularly insightful but thought I'd post them here in case any one contacted him about his views on the white paper and these questions were asked because of that email. Heather Humphreys can't say how much asylum seekers will get in the way of supports when they are in their own door in 4 accomodation because thats being paid for by Roderick's department who seem to be getting a blank cheque

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2021-03-10a.1673&s=speaker%3A81#g1674.q

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2021-03-10a.1651&s=%22direct+provision%22+segment%3A7887105#g1652.q

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

Michael Martin's office said they sent my email on to Roderic O'Gorman. My local FF td said that we must not pit different groups against each other, but thanked me for the housing stats I sent him. He is forwarding my email to the minister for housing. It looks like they want to pass the problem on to someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Advertisement