Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭BensMixed

Another fantastic development. Great to see the government continue to work on helping those in DP. Great stuff.

Students in direct provision will no longer have to pay international fees

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/students-in-direct-provision-will-no-longer-have-to-pay-international-fees-1.4507615
    Students living in direct provision will no longer have to pay international fees for post-Leaving Cert courses under new plans announced by the Government on Thursday.

Minister for Higher Education Simon Harris and Minister for Children Roderic O’Gorman also said that the Government is examining extending the student support scheme – which is similar to the Susi grant scheme – to students in direct provision who want to undertake postgraduate courses.

These students can currently access this scheme for undergraduate courses. Mr Harris said in order to help people in direct provision fully integrate into society there would also be more English language courses from the start of the academic year.

Mr Harris said he wanted to “ensure there are no barriers for people living in direct provision to accessing third level”.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Absolutely selling us out....

Scum running this country, why did people die in 1916 to get to this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭rgossip30

BensMixed wrote: »
    Another fantastic development. Great to see the government continue to work on helping those in DP. Great stuff.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/students-in-direct-provision-will-no-longer-have-to-pay-international-fees-1.4507615

In future any non EU migrant who wants free education can just claim asylum , get own door accommodation and allowance of 203 euro per week . This makes a mockery of Irish students who have to pay accommodation, fees and get no allowance .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Fantastic for whom? The Irish taxpayer?

Logic appears to be lost on you. Essentially, this provides subsidized education to people who have not proven themselves to have a legitimate right to remain in Ireland. Historical data tells us that 90% of their asylum claims ultimately prove to be groundless. I’m sure you’ll agree that’s hardly an appealing prospect for the hard pressed taxpayer?

If there is one upside to the pandemic and travel restrictions, it’s caused asylum applications to tank. There were just 370 in QR3 of 2020, providing some relief to our already overstretched finances. Now that’s what I call a fantastic development for the Irish taxpayer. Terrific news!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mvt

zell12 wrote: »

Is it just me or does she look like she is about to shape change into something else ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

Absolutely outrageous and unfair. Who the hell gave O'Gorman this mandate to hand over our hard-earned cash to everyone who just shows up? I've been saving for my kids' college years since they were born but someone right now thousands of miles away can waltz in and get all their expenses paid for. By us. It was bad enough when those who got leave to remain got on the gravy train with social housing, welfare, grants and free third level education, but now they can literally have stepped off a plane or a ferry weeks beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mvt

Absolutely selling us out....

Scum running this country, why did people die in 1916 to get to this point.

Says the man whom he & his wife are working for government monopolies

mvt wrote: »
    Is it just me or does she look like she is about to shape change into something else ?

Yes. It’s just you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Absolutely outrageous and unfair. Who the hell gave O'Gorman this mandate to hand over our hard-earned cash to everyone who just shows up? I've been saving for my kids' college years since they were born but someone right now thousands of miles away can waltz in and get all their expenses paid for. By us. It was bad enough when those who got leave to remain got on the gravy train with social housing, welfare, grants and free third level education, but now they can literally have stepped off a plane or a ferry weeks beforehand.

Privileged people who never had to work hard for anything in life and feel guilty so voted for the greens and any left wing party who wants to save the world at a cost to their fellow citizens.

A new Ireland.

The EU actually gave Ireland a very large sum of money to the tune of almost 70 million euro since 2015 to help manage migration which is fantastic to see and extremely helpful.

• Advertisement

The EU actually gave Ireland a very large sum of money to the tune of almost 70 million euro since 2015 to help manage migration which is fantastic to see and extremely helpful.

You think they 70 million magically appeared and noone including Irish citizens didn't contribute or will have to pay it back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

On the flip side Eu contributions are based on GDP so Ireland with its leprechaun economics bloated by us multinationals washing profits here means that our contributions bill per capita is the second highest in Europe and 5th highest overall despite our economy being small in comparison.Net contributors since 2013

We recieved 70 million for migration in 2015 but pay back 10 times that figure every year.

As much as it pains me to say it but Brexit and their push to see it through by Boris doesn't seem so silly now.

Can someone genuinely explain to me what students in Direct provision are? Are these people who are claiming asylum? Are they people who have had their applications accepted but continue to live there because it's cheap?

If these are people who are waiting on a decision who get to have college courses funded, will O'Gorman deport them half way through their tax payer funded course if they receive a negative decision?

Are we systematically dismantling all our immigration laws? Everything being done seems to make it easier and easier for people who have no right to be in this country to stay, to increase the numbers and also to financially fund everything that they want...all paid for of course by the tax payer....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Michael Creed (FG in Cork NW) asked a number of questions about DP this week. Nothing particularly insightful but thought I'd post them here in case any one contacted him about his views on the white paper and these questions were asked because of that email. Heather Humphreys can't say how much asylum seekers will get in the way of supports when they are in their own door in 4 accomodation because thats being paid for by Roderick's department who seem to be getting a blank cheque

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2021-03-10a.1673&s=speaker%3A81#g1674.q

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2021-03-10a.1651&s=%22direct+provision%22+segment%3A7887105#g1652.q

Rest assured that some TDs are feeling the heat over this issue; heat brought on by emails, other correspondence, and phone calls. It should not surprise us though that elected officials like Heather Humphreys fully support Roderic O' Gorman's folly and I am certain it will be remembered by her constituents in the next General Election.

One of the interesting tidbits of information gleamed from Roderic O' Gorman's response to Michael Creed's questions is the following:
    "The transition to the new system will be led by my Department and progress will be monitored by a Programme Board whose membership will include Government Departments, Agencies, Local Authorities, NGOs and former International Protection applicants.

So O' Gorman will have a Board monitoring this new system who will be made up of former asylum seekers and asylum NGOs. Talk about the foxes dictating how the chicken house is to be built.

I wonder who will be monitoring the Irish people who will become homeless and destitute, and the others who will remain on housing lists for many more years, in order to provide all of these asylum seekers with free own-door homes when they start to arrive to Ireland after this plan is put into place? Since O' Gorman has already dictated to the Irish public that there will no caps in place on the numbers who can now come to our country, we should expect a substantial increase in asylum seekers arriving here from all over the world. After all, can you really blame them?

On the flip side Eu contributions are based on GDP so Ireland with its leprechaun economics bloated by us multinationals washing profits here means that our contributions bill per capita is the second highest in Europe and 5th highest overall despite our economy being small in comparison.Net contributors since 2013

We recieved 70 million for migration in 2015 but pay back 10 times that figure every year.

I wonder if you are aware of how much have we received from the EU since 1973 to today and how much have we paid back?

I wonder if you are aware of how much have we received from the EU since 1973 to today and how much have we paid back?

40 billion recieved

40 billion recieved

Incorrect.

Ireland has been a net recipient since joining the EU in 1973. From 1973 to 2011 Ireland received €67 billion in EU funding and contributed around €25 billion, meaning that it has been a net recipient of over €42 billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

It's absolutely dizzying how far we've come. In the 90s I made friends with a young Russian when I was travelling around Europe. She was on a tourist visa and desperate to settle in a western European country where she would have better prospects and asked me if I would help her get to Ireland. I made enquiries and was told I would have to sponsor her, that she would only be allowed a temporary holiday visa and that if she overstayed, I would be responsible and would get into serious trouble with the Dept of Justice. I decided it wasn't worth it. How can we have gone from that to the current state of affairs, where people arrive completely unchecked, where you can float around with no right to be here and dozens of convictions (like that Moroccan who raped the young woman in Grand Canal Dock), where you can help yourself to public health and education from day one without ever having paid into it like people in DP for years? And where, as a previous poster put it, we're just dismantling all our immigration laws?

It actually really scares me how crazy and lawless it's become, and what are the permanent consequences for us as a society. I feel like we're still at the "frog in a pot" stage with most people not realising what's happening.

Incorrect.

The balance is 40 billion. So yes correct.

And since 2013 we are paying it back. Itl be a lean Christmas.

One of the most indebted countries on the planet and both the Us and EU moving to global corporate tax rates rule changes.

You can almost hear the sound of inevitability coming

• Advertisement

I'm not even sure how to actually reply to this.

Stalker much?

I'm not in any government position so quite lost on this.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Since O' Gorman has already dictated to the Irish public that there will no caps in place on the numbers who can now come to our country, we should expect a substantial increase in asylum seekers arriving here from all over the world. After all, can you really blame them?

What intrigues me about the entire scenario is the free hand that O’Gorman has been given to implement his illogical policies. He represents a fringe party, supported by 3% of the electorate. He himself, scraped over the line in the last GE, finally being elected on something like the 18th count in Dublin 15.

How is this marginal figure permitted to dictate migration policy? Furthermore, why is this person abdicating his responsibilities as minister for children, in favor of encouraging spurious asylum claims?

The only bright spot is that his party will be obliterated in next GE. He’s also deeply unpopular in his own constituency. When O’Gorman is dispatched in a few years, we can return to restoring logic and rigor to our migration protocols.

Would love to know what this means? Surely not a personal attack...

Hamachi wrote: »
    What intrigues me about the entire scenario is the free hand that O’Gorman has been given to implement his illogical policies. He represents a fringe party, supported by 3% of the electorate. He himself, scraped over the line in the last GE, finally being elected on something like the 18th count in Dublin 15.

How is this marginal figure permitted to dictate migration policy? Furthermore, why is this person abdicating his responsibilities as minister for children, in favor of encouraging spurious asylum claims?

The only bright spot is that his party will be obliterated in next GE. He’s also deeply unpopular in his own constituency. When O’Gorman is dispatch in a few years, we can return to restoring logic and rigor to our migration protocols.

Probably be too late by then and another left party rep from SF will just take over and continue the mantra.

The only bright spot is that his party will be obliterated in next GE. He’s also deeply unpopular in his own constituency. When O’Gorman is dispatch in a few years, we can return to restoring logic and rigor to our migration protocols.

I hear you but no party are really opposed to what he is doing, nothing will change, in fact when SF inevitably get in wait for all our immigration policies to be loosened even more.

I hear you but no party are really opposed to what he is doing, nothing will change, in fact when SF inevitably get in wait for all our immigration policies to be loosened even more.

Possibly. However, when O’Gorman’s policy implementation meet the cold hard reality of the coming financial crisis, a re-think is almost inevitable.

I’m also confident that the current status quo will be challenged. There’s increasing disquiet amongst the general public about migration policy. Those rumblings will spill over into political discourse eventually. Look at how quickly Denmark has embarked on a course correction when it comes to immigration. The same will happen here.

Possibly. However, when O’Gorman’s policy implementation meet the cold hard reality of the coming financial crisis, a re-think is almost inevitable.

I’m also confident that the current status quo will be challenged. There’s increasing disquiet amongst the general public about migration policy. Those rumblings will spill over into political discourse eventually. Look at how quickly Denmark has embarked on a course correction when it comes to immigration. The same will happen here.

I genuinely hope you are right and I agree there is massive disquiet amongst the general public, I've said it before, I'm hearing it spoken a lot more by people who never discussed these things years ago, not just Irish people but also legal immigrants who are getting really pissed off with widescale abuses of our system and the constant rewarding of those who break our laws.

I like what I see in Denmark but they are coming from a different place than us, they have always had relatively powerful parties who fought against illegal immigration, demanded caps on legal immigration etc. We don't have that in Ireland, therefore there is no need for any Irish political party to do anything.

We are at a stage now where there seems to be some announcement or relaxation of our immigration laws on an almost weekly basis, not just by the Greens but FF and FG as well, note the visa relaxation proposals announced a few weeks ago by the MOJ...

Does anyone else think they have purposely timed these announcements during lockdown? The only people we socially interact with is our own households so there’s no chatting about the current affairs of the day at the community centre bingo each week, or in the pub, at a group fitness session or over coffee.

They’ll say that the public are not really opposed to all this but with the way we are currently living, a real gauge of public opinion isn’t possible.

Btw, I’ve still not had replies to my emails apart from a reasoned response from Marian Harkin.

Of course it's easier now then ever before to bring in any measures as nobody will do anything about it, most young just won't bother to vote, the older always vote the same....

It's sad we are losing the Ireland I once was proud to call home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

Of course it's easier now then ever before to bring in any measures as nobody will do anything about it, most young just won't bother to vote, the older always vote the same....

It's sad we are losing the Ireland I once was proud to call home.

Welcome to the EU... Were their obsession with diversity and making us all the same(EU citizens) is tearing the soul out of countries...

Advertisement