Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Europe seems to want to flood itself with illegal economic migrants.....

They seem to think this will solve the aging population in many countries and these people flooding in will work.... Extremely optimistic...

That aging population is a load of rubbish . Do you think that taxi drivers with large families are gonna be paying all our pensions in a few years. Going by the behavior of some of their kids around Dublin and my town at the present , I think the politicans are lying .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Kivaro wrote: »
    Just for clarity, they do not get their own-door housing for another 2 to 3 years because we have to build 6 new reception centres first. The initial capital expenditure of this new setup will be in the €1/2 billion range, but we all know how these costings are deliberately underestimated and then the politicians can claim ignorance when they massively exceed initial estimates (e.g. the new Children's Hospital). The Minister of Children, Roderic O' Gorman, has stated that "measures will be put in place to avoid local dissatisfaction with the location of Reception and Integration Centres". One would have to wonder what these measures are?

There is something unnerving seeing a large group of men flying in to Ireland from Malta in the middle of a very long pandemic lockdown when the citizens of the country cannot travel more than 5 km. It does not appear to be right, does it?

Hate speech laws that will mean you're arrested if you criticize DP or it's users.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

That aging population is a load of rubbish . Do you think that taxi drivers with large families are gonna be paying all our pensions in a few years. Going by the behavior of some of their kids around Dublin and my town at the present , I think the politicans are lying .

That is just their default setting. If a politician is talking, they're lying.

And UCL did a study that found that in the UK between 1995-2011, Non-EU migrants took £120 billion more in benefits than they contributed in tax.

Paying for pensions? You're having a laugh.

That is just their default setting. If a politician is talking, they're lying.

And UCL did a study that found that in the UK between 1995-2011, Non-EU migrants took £120 billion more in benefits than they contributed in tax.

Paying for pensions? You're having a laugh.

Indians in britain are extremely successful whereas pakistanis aren't . Nigerian migrants are successful in britain and America whereas Afro caribbean migrants aren't successful. Nigerian migrants to Ireland aren't a success story with a 42 % employment rate. Is it the fact with an extremely generous welfare system we attracted the wrong type of migrant , I think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

Indians in britain are extremely successful whereas pakistanis aren't . Nigerian migrants are successful in britain and America whereas Afro caribbean migrants aren't successful. Nigerian migrants to Ireland aren't a success story with a 42 % employment rate. Is it the fact with an extremely generous welfare system we attracted the wrong type of migrant , I think it is.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/bogus-nigerian-asylum-seekers-vilifying-country-says-embassy-1.1163524?mode=amp

The Nigerian embassy itself warned of this in 2004. We are definitely not getting the best they have to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/bogus-nigerian-asylum-seekers-vilifying-country-says-embassy-1.1163524?mode=amp

The Nigerian embassy itself warned of this in 2004. We are definitely not getting the best they have to offer.

I'll wager the Irish Times wouldn't print that story now. Im surprised it's still up there even.

Indeed and what drove these people to go down the asylum route in the first place? Why not seek a work visa if they have skills that are needed? They clearly don't.

Papa_Bear wrote: »
    I'll wager the Irish Times wouldn't print that story now. Im surprised it's still up there even.

I deleted the Irish Times Facebook page after the George Floyd killing. You'd swear Africans were living in Apartheid in Ireland ,going by the articles they were putting out .

A fairly damning comment from their own government...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Papa_Bear wrote: »

Nah they would run it, but in the vein of "the RACIST ambassador from Nigeria made totes wrong claims about poor amazing scientists and engineers fleeing the nuclear war/alien invasion/moon crashing out of the sky/*insert other claim here* raging within Nigeria.......and now heres the Greens/SF/Alphabet Alliance spokespeople to condemn these RACIST remarks from the white-supremacist-coloniser ambassador from Nigeria"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I deleted the Irish Times Facebook page after the George Floyd killing. You'd swear Africans were living in Apartheid in Ireland ,going by the articles they were putting out .

It got worse after the Garda shooting last year ,

Apparently the population has been infiltrated and assimilated by far right neo Nazis who are running amok all over the country

Do the Irish times publish a diversity breakdown of their staff numbers? Anytime I see a picture of their workforce it doesn't look very diverse.....

Do the Irish times publish a diversity breakdown of their staff numbers? Anytime I see a picture of their workforce it doesn't look very diverse.....

They love writhing around in self loathing and self excoriation about privileges around skin colour, sexuality and gender identity because it's safe ground. If they were to talk about nepotism, class and wealth they'd be in more uncomfortable territory. Hard to imagine a clever young working class journo breaking in the way Nell McCafferty did in the 70s or Fintan O'Toole in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

They love writhing around in self loathing and self excoriation about privileges around skin colour, sexuality and gender identity because it's safe ground. If they were to talk about nepotism, class and wealth they'd be in more uncomfortable territory. Hard to imagine a clever young working class journo breaking in the way Nell McCafferty did in the 70s or Fintan O'Toole in the 80s.

They are pro-migrant exactly because their is no chance that any migrant will be employed in their jobs.

Gatling wrote: »
    It got worse after the Garda shooting last year ,

Apparently the population has been infiltrated and assimilated by far right neo Nazis who are running amok all over the country

The only paper I buy now is the Star and that's mainly for the sport and doing the crosswords on my break , there's a bit of news in it and they haven't been overrun with virtue signalling journalists yet except one who gets a little SJW now and again in her opinion piece. But as for the Indo or Irish time , I'd never buy a copy of them again .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A fairly damning comment from their own government...
    Indeed and fair play to the Nigerian embassy guys their statement included the precise nature of the pigs at the trough who were and remain enabling of this nonsense:
    In a statement, it also accused journalists and non-governmental organisations of encouraging asylum-seekers to "vilify" Nigeria as a means of staying in Ireland.

"It is the fundamental human right of everyone to seek a better life wherever he or she feels it is available. However, the choice of vilifying Nigeria in a desperate bid for a perceived better life, with encouragement from the Irish media and non-governmental organisations, is a step in the wrong direction."

They hit the nail on the head then(and name checked a few high profile chancers back then) and it's still in play today. I knew one Nigerian lad back in the early 00's, him and his missus were highly educated people who came here legally with jobs ready to go(he was headhunted, she got a job on the back of her experience and qualifications). I can't remember exactly which chancer was making wild claims for asylum here at the time, but he told me that he could tell by her name and accent that the chances of any of her story being true were slim to none. Transferred to an Irish context it might read: '"I had to escape the Travelling community of which I'm a member of because of death threats" said Gordon Worthington-Smythe to our Irish Times reporter'

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

jmayo wrote: »
    The problem is what passes for right wing parties and politicians i.e. the ones that are anti this sh**show with regards asylum seekers are more fooking interested in controlling our sex lives than anything else.

If those eejits dropped the archbishop McQuaid love in and trying to drag us back to 1950s they would start winning seats.

Noel Grealish proved being anti asylum seeker proved it doesn't affect electability no matter what the media try and do.

Verona Murphy proved the same.

Peter Casey, an absolute terrible candidate in some ways (and no not for his truthful rhetoric on our own indigenous asylum seekers) proved that a lot of ordinary people are sick and tired of the media (social and old fashioned print/airwave) narrative being continously thrown at us.

Just wanted to say, great post, 100% spot on

Yes this is utter bs- more of the neo liberal guff to soften up borders, for free movement of people and money.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Indeed and fair play to the Nigerian embassy guys their statement included the precise nature of the pigs at the trough who were and remain enabling of this nonsense:

They hit the nail on the head then(and name checked a few high profile chancers back then) and it's still in play today. I knew one Nigerian lad back in the early 00's, him and his missus were highly educated people who came here legally with jobs ready to go(he was headhunted, she got a job on the back of her experience and qualifications). I can't remember exactly which chancer was making wild claims for asylum here at the time, but he told me that he could tell by her name and accent that the chances of any of her story being true were slim to none. Transferred to an Irish context it might read: '"I had to escape the Travelling community of which I'm a member of because of death threats" said Gordon Worthington-Smythe to our Irish Times reporter'

In my experience of Nigerians here, the word got out that there was a European passport going free with every child. Divided into uneducay on the make and educated on the make.
    . Nothing like refugees fleeing persecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Feadog999

I received two responses today, only due to me emailing their offices a second time last week mind you.

Response from Alan Kelly head of the labour party:

Thank you for your email. The Labour Party is supportive of the plan to regularise long-term undocumented migrants in Ireland, as well as the plan to bring an end to Direct Provision. Notwithstanding the numerous humanitarian reasons for reforming our asylum system, the programme for replacing Direct Provision set out by the Advisory Group on Direct Provision would save the State money. Thank you again for your email. Best wishes Alan Kelly TD

Response from Jack Chamber's (FF) Parliamentary Assistant

Thank you once again for your email and for getting in touch with Jack. The shortcomings of the current accommodation system for applicants for International Protection in congregated settings have been widely recognised and developing a new long-term approach has been a key priority for this Government. I appreciate the feedback that you have outlined below, and have brought your correspondence to Jack’s attention.

Feadog999 wrote: »
    I received two responses today, only due to me emailing their offices a second time last week mind you.

Response from Alan Kelly head of the labour party:

Thank you for your email. The Labour Party is supportive of the plan to regularise long-term undocumented migrants in Ireland, as well as the plan to bring an end to Direct Provision. Notwithstanding the numerous humanitarian reasons for reforming our asylum system, the programme for replacing Direct Provision set out by the Advisory Group on Direct Provision would save the State money. Thank you again for your email. Best wishes Alan Kelly TD

Response from Jack Chamber's (FF) Parliamentary Assistant

Thank you once again for your email and for getting in touch with Jack. The shortcomings of the current accommodation system for applicants for International Protection in congregated settings have been widely recognised and developing a new long-term approach has been a key priority for this Government. I appreciate the feedback that you have outlined below, and have brought your correspondence to Jack’s attention.

It's almost like these parties are making plans and that's it. It stinks of their way like it or lump it to the very people who they represent, this isn't representation. Thanks for your email but this is what's happening, no room for constructive comments, tax payers concerns or anything else.
    It's actually just a bit fckued up at this stage.

Still Havnt received a reply from anyone in SF.
    Anyone? Ignorance is bliss.

Some puke inducing rage inducing content in there.. Wish I never looked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Feadog999

It's almost like these parties are making plans and that's it. It stinks of their way like it or lump it to the very people who they represent, this isn't representation. Thanks for your email but this is what's happening, no room for constructive comments, tax payers concerns or anything else.
    It's actually just a bit fckued up at this stage.

Still Havnt received a reply from anyone in SF.
    Anyone? Ignorance is bliss.

Absolutely agree. They have no intention of putting anything like this to public consultation even.

Eoin o broin from SF got back to me. I posted his reply a few pages back. Much of the same waffle though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Watching the Children's Minister Roderic O' Gorman on the Tonight Show and he is talking about Irish people needing to have the correct documentation arriving back in Ireland with their PCR tests and vaccination certification. Yet, he does not seem to have an issue with people flushing their passports down the toilets on airplanes prior to requesting asylum in Ireland. With the Children's Ministers' new rules, they get their own home within 4 months.

It was "different" watching Ciara Doherty giving him a grilling about various aspects of the government's response to Covid. Then again, Ciara does not get paid by RTE, so she was not afraid to ask him serious questions.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/man-39-charged-with-20-counts-of-pandemic-unemployment-payment-fraud-1.4538323?mode=amp

This is what we have to deal with.
    Not only paying for homes, legal aid, wives, children, grants, supplements, etc etc then this.. We are one soft touch here.
    Seen a thread on twitter the other day, a few Africans got arrested for something or other a while back, gaurds found phones in the property, one text on one said to an african number.. '' come to Ireland, its still a virgin country, money to be made''

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The indulgence of that grifter is incredible. MASI are a nasty organisation who organise online pile ons, very little time for them.

Its those with the spurious claims who make the most noise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Make you sick what these chancers get away with, money never problem when it comes to asylum seekers.

But if you have a child that needs to see a speech and language therapist or an elderly parent that needs to get cataracts on their eyes done, you could be waiting years to see one,

Something needs to happen soon before this gets out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Jizique

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/man-39-charged-with-20-counts-of-pandemic-unemployment-payment-fraud-1.4538323?mode=amp

This is what we have to deal with.
    Not only paying for homes, legal aid, wives, children, grants, supplements, etc etc then this.. We are one soft touch here.
    Seen a thread on twitter the other day, a few Africans got arrested for something or other a while back, gaurds found phones in the property, one text on one said to an african number.. '' come to Ireland, its still a virgin country, money to be made''

Wife and kids on the way from Pakistan - he should be deported

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Jizique wrote: »
    Wife and kids on the way from Pakistan - he should be deported

Not likely, we need people like him to pay for our pensions,

Advertisement