Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Kivaro wrote: »
    Read on the Examiner earlier that:
    "Troika-style budget controls have been slapped on the biggest government departments such as health, education and social protection as part of a need to cut an estimated €12bn from State spending."

At a Cabinet meeting in recent days, Mr McGrath “laid down a major marker” to his colleagues saying they are going to be getting back to a situation where "spending will be tightly controlled".

So there you have it, we need to slash at least €12 billion in spending.
    I am sure that the well paid Asylum and Migrant NGO CEOs will be on the phone to Roderic O' Gorman this morning to make sure that their financially ruinous plan of unlimited homes for asylum seekers need to proceed.

And there again, people need to bombard O'Gorman with emails and ask him how we are going to pay for his "brotherhood of man" bolloxology, with these cuts looming.

Your Face wrote: »
    Take note working people - even the right-wingers marginalize the Irish working class.

Okay.. I'll say it again. The actual working class in this country are a very small group of people in comparison to the overall population. Through education, and welfare supports, most people who call themselves "working class" wouldn't have been traditionally considered such. Most of them, are in fact, middle class now.

Talking about the working class is a play for emotional sympathy... and it's mostly ignorant of how Irish society has changed over the last forty years.

So... you consider me to be Right wing then? I'd consider myself to be a realist.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Feadog999

You'd wonder how long France are going to put up with current immigration policies. Surely the French are getting fed up and possibly gravitating towards Le Pen

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56862436

And there again, people need to bombard O'Gorman with emails and ask him how we are going to pay for his "brotherhood of man" bolloxology, with these cuts looming.

Very important that people get everyone they know that are opposed to these plans email O'Gormoan et Al. Michael Martin, Leo, Pascal, McGrath etc as many as they can. O'Gorman will just ignore the emails that's why it's important to reach out to others in government

"Troika-style budget controls have been slapped on the biggest government departments such as health, education and social protection as part of a need to cut an estimated €12bn from State spending."

At a Cabinet meeting in recent days, Mr McGrath “laid down a major marker” to his colleagues saying they are going to be getting back to a situation where "spending will be tightly controlled".

I am sure that the well paid Asylum and Migrant NGO CEOs will be on the phone to Roderic O' Gorman this morning to make sure that their financially ruinous plan of unlimited homes for asylum seekers need to proceed.

As we start our work week, we need to know that there are many thousands of men currently in Africa, Pakistan, and other far flung places around the planet, who were guaranteed their own free homes within 4 months of arriving on Irish soil, so we will be told by the Children's Minister that we need to hold firm with that plan.

How long will it be before RTE starts to lecture us about protecting the asylum own-door homes plan when the real discussion begins about cuts to our services and the inevitable tax hikes on us all next year?
    "Mr McGrath has identified a need to reduce the generous PUP payments as they are creating a major issue for businesses looking to reopen as staff say they are “better off not working”.

If €350 is stopping people from working then that shows how much people were barely getting paid while working some jobs. The PUP payment must be competing with a cheap labour force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

While many working people have to accept house sharing due to the cost of accommodation in Dublin MASI want all single asylum seekers to be given their own individual accommodation.

https://twitter.com/masi_asylum/status/1382356766982352901

Also, co-living is supposedly banned but the White Paper on ending Direct Provision proposes co-living for single asylum seekers which isn't that different to Direct Provision. #EndDirectProvision

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yep i did my time living in shared accommodation when that's all i could afford, cut your cloth and all that. Not acceptable for social housing for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

As we start our work week, we need to know that there are many thousands of men currently in Africa, Pakistan, and other far flung places around the planet, who were guaranteed their own free homes within 4 months of arriving on Irish soil, so we will be told by the Children's Minister that we need to hold firm with that plan.

How long will it be before RTE starts to lecture us about protecting the asylum own-door homes plan when the real discussion begins about cuts to our services and the inevitable tax hikes on us all next year?

NGOs get circa 6 billion per year. Cut that and you are half way there Mr McGrath

"Minister McEntee and James Browne TD, the Minister of State for Law Reform, James Browne, will hold an information webinar with NGOs, civil society, employer organisations, trade unions and other key stakeholders on Monday, April 26th, on the proposed Regularisation Scheme for long-term Undocumented Migrants"

I wonder how it went. We need to watch this back
    All I could find is the opening speech

"Published on Monday 26th April 2021

Opening Address by Minister of State James Browne TD
    Webinar on the Regularisation Scheme for Undocumented Migrant

Monday 26th April

Good morning everyone.

And welcome to this information session on the proposed Regularisation Scheme for Undocumented Migrants.

It’s great to see so many of you here today, and from such a wide variety of organisations and sectors.

Minister McEntee has asked me to pass on her apologies that she unfortunately cannot join us today. While the Minister is on her well-deserved maternity leave, I’ll be taking over Immigration responsibilities in addition to my Law Reform remit.

Our Programme for Government and Justice Plan 2021, set out a clear commitment to deliver this Scheme and to have it up and running by the end of this year.

Minister McEntee presented the draft outline of the Scheme to Government last week and you have also had an opportunity to view it in the document circulated in advance of this meeting.

Today is a perfect opportunity for me to hear directly from you ---

What do you consider to be the most important criteria that should be included in the proposed Scheme so that it reaches out to those who for whatever reason find themselves undocumented in the State?

We know that people find themselves undocumented for many reasons. Perhaps not qualifying for the permission they applied for; a permission expiring and not having a home or job to return to; wanting to make a better life for themselves and their families; and other such reasons. This Scheme will provide an opportunity for those who meet its criteria to remain and reside in the State and to become part of mainstream Irish society rather than living on its margins.

Ireland as a nation has for many generations watched as family members’ neighbours and friends have travelled overseas in search of opportunity. Many have had great successes, like the Kennedy’s who went from Wexford to the White House. However, many have not been so fortunate. If Schemes like the one we are discussing here today had been available, it may have made their lives, when they fell on hard times with little or no supports, easier to bear.

Therefore, Minister McEntee and I believe it is important that the Scheme when finalised can reach all those considered eligible. So that they can make an application to regularise their position and avail of the opportunities that Ireland has to offer. We will need your support to achieve this and to encourage people to come forward and engage with us at the appropriate time.

The Migration Policy and Immigration Service teams are working hard to have the Scheme open for applications by the end of this year.

EddieN75 wrote: »
    "Minister McEntee and James Browne TD, the Minister of State for Law Reform, James Browne, will hold an information webinar with NGOs, civil society, employer organisations, trade unions and other key stakeholders on Monday, April 26th, on the proposed Regularisation Scheme for long-term Undocumented Migrants"

I wonder how it went. We need to watch this back
    All I could find is the opening speech

"Published on Monday 26th April 2021

Opening Address by Minister of State James Browne TD
    Webinar on the Regularisation Scheme for Undocumented Migrant

Monday 26th April

Good morning everyone.

And welcome to this information session on the proposed Regularisation Scheme for Undocumented Migrants.

It’s great to see so many of you here today, and from such a wide variety of organisations and sectors.

Minister McEntee has asked me to pass on her apologies that she unfortunately cannot join us today. While the Minister is on her well-deserved maternity leave, I’ll be taking over Immigration responsibilities in addition to my Law Reform remit.

Our Programme for Government and Justice Plan 2021, set out a clear commitment to deliver this Scheme and to have it up and running by the end of this year.

Minister McEntee presented the draft outline of the Scheme to Government last week and you have also had an opportunity to view it in the document circulated in advance of this meeting.

Today is a perfect opportunity for me to hear directly from you ---

What do you consider to be the most important criteria that should be included in the proposed Scheme so that it reaches out to those who for whatever reason find themselves undocumented in the State?

We know that people find themselves undocumented for many reasons. Perhaps not qualifying for the permission they applied for; a permission expiring and not having a home or job to return to; wanting to make a better life for themselves and their families; and other such reasons. This Scheme will provide an opportunity for those who meet its criteria to remain and reside in the State and to become part of mainstream Irish society rather than living on its margins.

Ireland as a nation has for many generations watched as family members’ neighbours and friends have travelled overseas in search of opportunity. Many have had great successes, like the Kennedy’s who went from Wexford to the White House. However, many have not been so fortunate. If Schemes like the one we are discussing here today had been available, it may have made their lives, when they fell on hard times with little or no supports, easier to bear.

Therefore, Minister McEntee and I believe it is important that the Scheme when finalised can reach all those considered eligible. So that they can make an application to regularise their position and avail of the opportunities that Ireland has to offer. We will need your support to achieve this and to encourage people to come forward and engage with us at the appropriate time.

The Migration Policy and Immigration Service teams are working hard to have the Scheme open for applications by the end of this year.

Was this open to the public?

Interesting James Browne was there, when I emailed his office I was told it's not a matter for him as a minister of state, when I asked for his opinion as a TD and elected representative not regarding his brief I was given the same answer

• Advertisement

Feadog999 wrote: »

Interesting James Browne was there, when I emailed his office I was told it's not a matter for him as a minister of state, when I asked for his opinion as a TD and elected representative not regarding his brief I was given the same answer

They know this is going to be incredibly unpopular amongst the voting public, so will do most of this stuff behind closed doors. Next will be setting aside the 2004 Referendum vote.

Just remember the disingenuous, lying pricks like Browne and vote them out at the next election.

I dunno if you are on Twitter or not Feadog, but Browne is.

How about calling out his bull**** online and showing his email replies and asking - if it is not in your brief or a matter for you, why were you there, James?
    Time to start publicly outing these ****ing liars.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

While many working people have to accept house sharing due to the cost of accommodation in Dublin MASI want all single asylum seekers to be given their own individual accommodation.

https://twitter.com/masi_asylum/status/1382356766982352901

Also, co-living is supposedly banned but the White Paper on ending Direct Provision proposes co-living for single asylum seekers which isn't that different to Direct Provision. #EndDirectProvision

I regret clicking on their twitter page, the whinging and sense of entitlement is unreal.

I dunno if you are on Twitter or not Feadog, but Browne is.

How about calling out his bull**** online and showing his email replies and asking - if it is not in your brief or a matter for you, why were you there, James?
    Time to start publicly outing these ****ing liars.

I'm not Mike. I'll have to start one up though! Good idea.

I'm not Mike. I'll have to start one up though! Good idea.

There he is now

https://twitter.com/JamesBrowneTD/status/1386638366486183937?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is there anywhere showing what these CEOs are getting paid?

We are doomed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭enricoh

EddieN75 wrote: »

No doubt paddy taxpayer was well represented in the zoom call!

Is there anywhere showing what these CEOs are getting paid?

We are doomed

Just one example here. The immigrant council of Ireland. Had a cash balance (according to the last annual report) of almost €700,000. Grants and Donations for the year were just over €800,000 - 83% of total income for the year.

CEO received a package of €78,750 in 2019, up from €73,500 the previous year.

Page 18 to 20 below has some of their funding stream (hint: a lot of government money)

https://www.immigrantcouncil.ie/sites/default/files/2020-12/Immigrant%20Council%20of%20Ireland%20Directors%E2%80%99%20report%20and%20audited%20financial%20statements%20Year%20ended%2031%20December%202019.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

RTE had another report about Direct Provision on their main segment of the news this morning. This report was from the Children's Ombudsman who carried out the investigation. What was strange was the fact that the investigation was not started by any complaints by parents in Direct Provision, it was the Ombudsman was initiated the investigation. They went looking and they were going to find something.

One of the major complaints found at Direct Provision was that one parent complained about the lack of play area for their children. RTE put a lot of wording on their report into this one complaint from one parent. I am sure that there are Irish families and lone parents currently living in apartments who would also like more play areas for their children. Another complaint from one parent was the threat by staff to have social welfare remove children due to the lack of supervision by the parent(s). Obviously there must have been issues at this Direct Provision centre if staff had to warn this parent about the lack of supervision. This somehow was then reported as a culture of fear in Direct Provision centres.

So with those examples and the lack of vetting, that was the extent of the "concerns" of the Ombudsman in his report. But RTE had it front and centre on the news and they also lamented the long wait until Roderic O' Gorman's plan kicks in, as if this will solve the lack of supervision and play area problem. It is obvious that RTE will continue to push this new protection system plan forward, irrespective of the services cuts and tax hikes that is coming our way. Strange that RTE did not mention the upcoming €12 billion spending cuts on any of their main news segments this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Regularise = make a previous illegal immigrant legal.
    Are there steps taken to verify their stories and checking any paperwork?

Is James Browne TD responsible for giving Irish identities to people that we don't know where they are from, how old they are, what their intentions are with their new Irish identity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

There was a different report on it on radio 1 at about half 5 yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭golondrinas

I regret clicking on their twitter page, the whinging and sense of entitlement is unreal.

Me also, it's not only entitlement but also scamming/gaming the system. Ellie Kisyombie is one I noticed among the tweets. After 10 years in direct provision she finally gets her own door. Says she got it through friends she knows. Well I can tell you the friends are not paying the rent , you most definitely are. she's very disappointed that some have to put money on top of freebies in high rent areas. Well I never. She was in Direct Provision for ten years because :

She arrived in England as a student. Overstayed her visa.
    Applied for Asylum - denied as her home country, Malawi ,was deemed one of the safest in Africa. Before she was to be deported was told soft touch Ireland would be a good fit. How right that advice was. Said she could remember (in an interview with Irish Independent) every place she lived in DP in Ireland. Amazing how she forgot the places she lived in England. Brazenly put her name forward for election with the Social Dems. One of the Sundays does research on new candidate. Her lies are exposed. She splits the SD party. The wokes on one side and the duped on the other. Lazy system gets tired of her appeals and gets leave to remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Sums up the Irish medias approach when someone practices "wrongthink"

https://twitter.com/irishexaminer/status/1386938163181101056

The absolute state of the media in this country just one indistinguishable blob

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Me also, it's not only entitlement but also scamming/gaming the system. Ellie Kisyombie is one I noticed among the tweets. After 10 years in direct provision she finally gets her own door. Says she got it through friends she knows. Well I can tell you the friends are not paying the rent , you most definitely are. she's very disappointed that some have to put money on top of freebies in high rent areas. Well I never. She was in Direct Provision for ten years because :

She arrived in England as a student. Overstayed her visa.
    Applied for Asylum - denied as her home country, Malawi ,was deemed one of the safest in Africa. Before she was to be deported was told soft touch Ireland would be a good fit. How right that advice was. Said she could remember (in an interview with Irish Independent) every place she lived in DP in Ireland. Amazing how she forgot the places she lived in England. Brazenly put her name forward for election with the Social Dems. One of the Sundays does research on new candidate. Her lies are exposed. She splits the SD party. The wokes on one side and the duped on the other. Lazy system gets tired of her appeals and gets leave to remain.

Ellie Kisombyie is no fool by the sounds of things , apart from everything else , she chose the right political party to try and make a go of that game

the Soc Dems are so tragically WOKE , a member would happily give up their own citizenship in this country and go live in Malawai if it meant Ellie could remain on , chances are the Soc Dems knew all about her dubious backstory and only acted when the story was exposed by the media ?

Sums up the Irish medias approach when someone practices "wrongthink"

https://twitter.com/irishexaminer/status/1386938163181101056

The absolute state of the media in this country just one indistinguishable blob

to think that piece was written by the deputy editor of a national newspaper is truly grim

reads like it was written by a transition year student

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭gw80

Surely UK will have to do something about the CTA if Ireland is going to have no cap on migrants of all descriptions, they will use it as a back door into the UK,
    Are we willing to lose the CTA with the UK for majority bogus asylum seekers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

As has been pointed out before, there was a time in society when journalists were big supporters of free speech, as without it they couldn't function. In the modern world though, our "journalists" hate free speech, which can be seen in their constant attempts to try and shame anyone who opposes their ideological dogma. I'm sure a pedantic poster would say "they aren't looking for the state to suppress speech", which is somewhat true, but you can't argue that they aren't pushing ideological narrowness and "accepted speech", which results in a similar outcome; people being afraid to air their views due to the risk attached.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭timmyntc

gw80 wrote: »
    Surely UK will have to do something about the CTA if Ireland is going to have no cap on migrants of all descriptions, they will use it as a back door into the UK,
    Are we willing to lose the CTA with the UK for majority bogus asylum seekers?

Same thing could be said about EU citizenship. A 3 year stint in direct provision gives you EU citizenship for life - who wouldnt try it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    to think that piece was written by the deputy editor of a national newspaper is truly grim

reads like it was written by a transition year student

All Irish news sites read like student union blogs now days.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

TomTomTim wrote: »
    As has been pointed out before, there was a time in society when journalists were big supporters of free speech, as without it they couldn't function. In the modern world though, our "journalists" hate free speech, which can be seen in their constant attempts to try and shame anyone who opposes their ideological dogma. I'm sure a pedantic poster would say "they aren't looking for the state to suppress speech", which is somewhat true, but you can't argue that they aren't pushing ideological narrowness and "accepted speech", which results in a similar outcome; people being afraid to air their views due to the risk attached.

the media are the new clergy in Ireland , secular progressive mullahs

Advertisement