Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

Marcos wrote: »
    There was a zoom call with Sorcha Pollack and various other representatives of immigration NGOs and lobbyists and one person asked if only black people could be given immigration status so Ireland could reach the 500,000 tipping point. Even Sorcha Pollack was taken aback by that question and said that she thought it wouldn't be possible, but that it was a good idea if the 500,000 tipping point was reached sooner than later.

So it seems that some people have thought about this and reckon that after about 500,000 "New Irish" :rolleyes: there will be a point at which the momentum becomes such that immigration would continue whether the electorate want it or not.

So that's why the immigration lobby want as much done as quickly as possible before any opposition takes hold.

Who gave her her platform in the media to endlessly shill for the kind of unfettered immigration that is against the interests of most Irish people? Well, obviously her parents are both high up in Irish media and NGOs and it's unlikely she would have got the Times gig without them. But seriously, it's obscene. She herself is from such a privileged sheltered background that she cannot imagine sharing a house with 12 people or her kid being minority Irish in their school or seeing London style knife gang culture intimidating her in her own neighbourhood where her family have lived for generations. She is an absolute traitor to her country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Who gave her her platform in the media to endlessly shill for the kind of unfettered immigration that is against the interests of most Irish people? Well, obviously her parents are both high up in Irish media and NGOs and it's unlikely she would have got the Times gig without them. But seriously, it's obscene. She herself is from such a privileged sheltered background that she cannot imagine sharing a house with 12 people or her kid being minority Irish in their school or seeing London style knife gang culture intimidating her in her own neighbourhood where her family have lived for generations. She is an absolute traitor to her country.

Have to agree with much of this. She is quite possibly the worst "journalist" across the entire spectrum of the mainstream Irish media, and that's saying something given the low caliber of intellect that populates that industry. Essentially, she earns her crust by churning out a never-ending stream of puff pieces glorifying the immigrant experience, whilst simultaneously denigrating indigenous Irish people and culture.

I wouldn't get too worked up about wee Sorcha though. I haven't seen any analytics, but I imagine that the click-through rates on her "articles" are pretty low. Even the D4 set tire of being fed a merciless diet of criticism. There's immense irony in the title "New to the Parish".

Firstly, I'm fairly confident that Sorcha is one of the first to jump on the anti-Catholicism bandwagon when it suits her. However, in her simplistic little thought processes, she probably thinks that "parish" resonates with the simple yokels, she believes to be her audience.

Secondly, given the demographic future that she envisages for Ireland, there won't be a "parish" into which immigrants can integrate. She and others of her ilk, are trying everything in their power to undermine any notion of a cohesive Irish "parish".

Basically, she's a reprehensible little toad, who's output is only fit to line the dog's kennel.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Could someone keep an update on the names and email addresses of all those in powerful positions in government, I'm not very good at all that but would like to send off my anger and want to question these moronic ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I've not heard of this proposal on any news sites, RTE /TV3, if it was covered it passed me by... .. The lads and ladies seemed to have slipped it in amongst the plague, hoping no one will notice.
    TV3 is independent so why would they not broadcast it and bring it to the attention of the masses?

I've not heard of this proposal on any news sites, RTE /TV3, if it was covered it passed me by... .. The lads and ladies seemed to have slipped it in amongst the plague, hoping no one will notice.
    TV3 is independent so why would they not broadcast it and bring it to the attention of the masses?

Because they have an agenda and it doesn't suit for the sheeple to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Because they have an agenda and it doesn't suit for the sheeple to know.

But TV3 are an independent broadcaster, they can highlight the issue.

One radio broadcasts I know who would highlight this issue is, Niall Boylan, he said as much as everyone is saying here, that he'd return all the scammers, wouldn't let them into the country without paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Feadog999

Could someone keep an update on the names and email addresses of all those in powerful positions in government, I'm not very good at all that but would like to send off my anger and want to question these moronic ideas.

Do you want a list of names and email addresses that are running this thing? Or a list of people we have contacted?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭DerekC16

Journalists are more like Activists these days.

"The long march through the institutions"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

She herself is from such a privileged sheltered background that she cannot imagine sharing a house with 12 people or her kid being minority Irish in their school or seeing London style knife gang culture intimidating her in her own neighbourhood where her family have lived for generations. She is an absolute traitor to her country.

AFAIK, she's from an immigrant background herself. Her grandfather was a Czech-Jewish refugee. Probably not too surprising that she's interested in covering immigration issues.

AFAIK, she's from an immigrant background herself. Her grandfather was a Czech-Jewish refugee. Probably not too surprising that she's interested in covering immigration issues.

Yes, her paternal grandfather was an intellectual who fled persecution from then-Czechoslovakia. I'm sure he was very glad to be granted refuge. Unlike the dubious arrival stories and entitled moaning from the "new to the parish" column about how racist the Irish are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Her weekly puff pieces are hardly coverage of immigration issues. Where’s the balance from a supposed journalist? Inward migration, like most phenomenons has both positives and negatives. Has the intrepid Sorcha ever once examined the less seemly aspects of migration or studied the impact on local Irish communities?

Of course she hasn’t. Instead we’re treated to a weekly whinge from migrants, some of whom have dubious back stories, about life in Ireland. Does Sorcha ever probe how they came to be in Ireland? Does she f**k.

She has zero credibility to lead the charge to overhaul the demographics of this nation. I suspect when this period is looked at retroactively, people like her will be viewed with the contempt she richly deserves. Pretty much how Barbara Roche is viewed in the UK.

Fianna Fail are running a survey on the issues important to young people (up to "34"). You might be interested in filling it out. There's space at the end to voice opinions on current and future issues

https://www.fiannafail.ie/survey-on-issues-important-to-young-people-spring-2021-3/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Feadog999 wrote: »
    Fianna Fail are running a survey on the issues important to young people (up to "34"). You might be interested in filling it out. There's space at the end to voice opinions on current and future issues

https://www.fiannafail.ie/survey-on-issues-important-to-young-people-spring-2021-3/

This is a horrendous survey, with a severe lack of branching logic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

One of the good things about living in a democracy such as ours is that our representatives are still relatively easily accessible, and their contact details are in the public domain, so citizens can contact them about issues important to them.

The first place to go is the Oireachtas site and you can search for any TD or Senator, either by name or constituency. It's very good and you can even use the interactive map to drill down into constituencies. Clicking on the link will show you some of their most recent contributions and a contact email address as you'll see oireachtas emails go with firstname.surname@oireachtas.ie.

Party websites will also give you contact details, usually similar to the oireachtas ones but sometimes their own constituency offices. So for any issue that you feel is important you can look it up and contact them. I'd advise being polite as you have less chance of being ignored. Also, if you don't want your name on a mailing list say so at the bottom of your mail. All parties do it, but stating that you don't want to be on a list is your prerogative.

Also check out the TD or Senator on wikipedia as it'll give you a quick idea of their background and issues they feel are important to their electorate. That way you can concentrate on those you feel are more receptive to your message, whatever that is.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm actually worried about how Ireland is going....

Dublin and the 3 smaller cities are going to bear the brunt of it.

With the way things are headed I'm glad I live in a small village that would be no good for O Gormans big plans for Ireland.

With the way things are headed I'm glad I live in a small village that would be no good for O Gormans big plans for Ireland.

Don't bet on it, have you been to Longford lately? Or Ballinamore..

Don't bet on it, have you been to Longford lately? Or Ballinamore..

Oh i've no doubt the Government would like to put them in the smaller towns and but its the migrants calling the shots these days and they want to live in the urban areas.

Got another FF response:

Thank you for your email regarding the draft Scheme to Regularise Undocumented Migrants and the White Paper on ending Direct Provision.

I have read your submission with great interest and appreciate what you have to say about these matters particularly concerning the future provision of health and housing services.

Please see attached details of these initiatives as announced by the relevant Ministers

I will certainly take an active interest in these issues for you as they are debated further in the Dáil Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Not too surprising at all

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

We are going to see 'White flight' from certain suburbs of Irish cities , the very same as happened in US and British cities.

Why are we importing so many people , seemingly against the will of the people ?

Why are people people afraid to question or push back against the thinly veiled accusations of racism directed at the native population at large ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh i've no doubt the Government would like to put them in the smaller towns and but its the migrants calling the shots these days and they want to live in the urban areas.
    Exactly. And it's not even the migrants calling the shots. The reason small towns are small and stay small is because people move to the bigger towns and cities for education and work and more social outlets and all the other things that come with city life. Migrants will do exactly the same thing and for the same reasons, with the added bonus on top of moving to growing communities of people from the same background and culture. The more someone stands out from the native population, the more this will be in play. It's basic human nature and no amount of social engineering or well meaning campaigns and slogans can change that. It happens everywhere there's a substantial percentage of non native populations and pretty much always has. You get Italian quarters, Jewish quarters, Irish, African, Russian etc, while extra urban locales stay almost exclusively native in demographics.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Exactly. And it's not even the migrants calling the shots. The reason small towns are small and stay small is because people move to the bigger towns and cities for education and work and more social outlets and all the other things that come with city life. Migrants will do exactly the same thing and for the same reasons, with the added bonus on top of moving to growing communities of people from the same background and culture. The more someone stands out from the native population, the more this will be in play. It's basic human nature and no amount of social engineering or well meaning campaigns and slogans can change that. It happens everywhere there's a substantial percentage of non native populations and pretty much always has. You get Italian quarters, Jewish quarters, Irish, African, Russian etc, while extra urban locales stay almost exclusively native in demographics.

And yet, Wibbs, many towns in Ireland already have a significant population from certain groups, and that will draw many of those migrants who find the cities less welcoming, or too competitive for the resources/supports available. In the towns, with less demands on the resources already allocated to migrants, there could be (I dont know but I suspect) a greater degree of scope for supporting migrant groups.

There's also another aspect. Culture. Many migrants will be coming from the countryside in their respective countries, and will want to live outside of the main population centers. For those who have grown up in the countryside themselves, Irish towns provide the best of both world. I wouldn't be too quick to say that the major urban areas will immediately be first choice for many migrants. I've traveled through East/North Africa, and there's a lot of people struggling in the countryside, people who will view coming to Ireland as a wonderful idea.

The thing is that in many towns, especially in the midlands, these migrant groups don't stand out any longer. Athlone is definitely that way. Yes, there are more white people than other racial groups, but there's also a lot of Black and Indian people, (in addition to the Eastern Europeans.

Athlone is a reasonably good sized town but picking out places like Borrisokane seems a bit ridiculous.

Move along folks nothing to see here, Roderick has said that there will be no competition despite also saying that they would be provided with State owned accomodation. Absolutely no more clarity on how this will not lead to competition with those already on the housing list.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/asylum-seekers-will-not-be-given-housing-that-could-go-to-those-on-waiting-lists-minister-1.4556454

"Under the new system, the Minister said, on arrival into Ireland people would spend up to four months in State-owned reception and integration centres. Families would have own-door accommodation and individuals would have their own room.

After, “they will be provided with State-owned accommodation in towns and cities across the country, while they await the outcome of their application. This will allow applicants live independently, it will foster inclusion and integration between applicants and their host communities,” he said.

“The accommodation will be delivered through a multi-strand approach, in conjunction with approved housing bodies and NGOs. Some of the housing will be built, some purchased... I met with the Housing Agency recently and we will be signing a memorandum with them in terms of accessing the housing stock.”

Asked about the possible perception that asylum seekers were being housed while families on housing lists waited longer, he said: “I’m very conscious that the measures we are taking to address the housing needs of those in the international protection system are taking place in the wider context of measures the Government is taking to address the wider housing crisis.

“We have a very substantial commitment in the programme for Government to provide an additional 50,000 social housing units.

“I am very conscious that we can’t allow certain groups that might want to portray this as some sport of promotion of one category of person seeking housing against another.

"[Provision of asylum applicants’ housing] will be done by separate departments, separate AHBs [approved housing bodies], separate NGOs… We will be very clear there is not any element of competition between the provision of housing through my department and provision of social and other housing through the Department of Housing.”"

How come it's no longer stated they are refugees or illegal immigrants?
    Is this not allowed anymore?

They've already been "accepted". So, the government is making sure that the public see them as people, since it makes it harder to maintain any kind of outrage over it all. They're families. Can't deport a family... That would be an awful attitude to have. Expect to see a lot more of this...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Most asylum-seekers are bogus, yes, so they are mostly illegal immigrants.

They are not refugees.

They are applying to become accepted as refugees.

While they wait a decision, they are known as asylum-seekers.

Note that Ireland has two separate programmes to accept refugees.

Geuze wrote: »

They are not refugees.

Once they become refugees, within a few years (or less) they''ll become Irish citizens. They've already gotten a very favorable government behind them to ease the process, and then, the whole of the EU is open to them.. although I doubt there's any reason to leave Ireland with the range of supports for such groups.

Which won't stop once they become Irish citizens. They'll retain the refugee/Asylum title for anything that could possibly help them. Isn't it nice that non-Irish can come here, be accepted, welcomed as Irish citizens, but still receive the help as 'people in need'?

Ahh Ireland. Such a generous nation to anyone who is not Irish.

Geuze wrote: »

They are not refugees.

Dang I knew I messed up was actually meant to say asylum as that seems to have been pulled too.

• Advertisement

Why are they being integrated when most of them aren't even refugees? It's just a joke at this stage.

It's sickening. I know so many hardworking Irish people struggling to get decent housing and healthcare and a decent education for their kids while seeing their taxes go on schemes like this. It's actually treasonous.

Advertisement