Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

Will be interesting to see what comes of the memorandum that being drawn up between the dept of housing and O'Gormans dept. How are they going to set up the reception centres if setting up housing for the sole purpose of accomodating asylum seekers on public land is called "problematic" by the housing minister?

Madness that they've finally cottoned on at what a big deal housing is to a huge swathe of Irish people and they're still pushing ahead at own door in 4.

If you had to write a way to push people "far right" and to turn them against genuine asylum seekers, this would be the way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

WrenBoy wrote: »
    From the site when I finished reading that article, just to give a snapshot of whats going on at the minute as this project is being pushed ahead.

Related stories:
    • Asylum-seekers will get keys to their own homes and will be able to work - policy to end Direct Provision revealed
    • Sky-high Dublin rents drive college student to live in a campervan
    • InFocus podcast: The Rental Crisis: ‘We had mice, mould and no living room’
    • Revealed: Damp and mould in ‘rented hovels’ result in kids getting ill as tenants’ complaints rise

AND .... "This housing would be “culturally appropriate” and comply with “Traveller accommodation strategy prepared by the local authority concerned”

... ???????

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Feadog999

https://m.independent.ie/news/housing-minister-says-allocating-public-lands-for-housing-asylum-seekerscould-be-problematic-40476081.html

It is not "raising the spectre of the far right" to be concerned at the enormous resources being diverted from Irish people to mostly illegal immigrants. It's actually a view held by many normal decent sane people. But he feels he has to say it.

Christ. Country is gone to the dogs. Agree with us or you are "far right".

It just goes to show how much O'Brien knows about his own social housing waiting list though because there is about 5,000 non EEA households on it and I don't beleive asylum seekers should get a house before those people.

Will be interesting to see what comes of the memorandum that being drawn up between the dept of housing and O'Gormans dept. How are they going to set up the reception centres if setting up housing for the sole purpose of accomodating asylum seekers on public land is called "problematic" by the housing minister?

Madness that they've finally cottoned on at what a big deal housing is to a huge swathe of Irish people and they're still pushing ahead at own door in 4.

If you had to write a way to push people "far right" and to turn them against genuine asylum seekers, this would be the way to do it.

So here's an interesting one I submitted three Freedom of information requests around the costings and capacity study from the white paper. I submitted to department of public expenditure and reform, department of housing and housing agency

1) Department of public expenditure and reform gave me no issues and came back with all material requested
    2) Housing agency said there were too many records regarding my original request and I had to decrease the scope. I did and no issues yet, but no material yet.
    3) same request to the department of housing. They absolutely bate me down. Really whittled down the scope (twice) only to be told in the end that there were no records. So this is what I got from that FOI process. The department of housing had no input to the costings and capacity in the paper at all and weren't even consulted.

Public expenditure actually raised the points were all raising here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Feadog999 wrote: »
    So here's an interesting one I submitted three Freedom of information requests around the costings and capacity study from the white paper. I submitted to department of public expenditure and reform, department of housing and housing agency

1) Department of public expenditure and reform gave me no issues and came back with all material requested
    2) Housing agency said there were too many records regarding my original request and I had to decrease the scope. I did and no issues yet, but no material yet.
    3) same request to the department of housing. They absolutely bate me down. Really whittled down the scope (twice) only to be told in the end that there were no records. So this is what I got from that FOI process. The department of housing had no input to the costings and capacity in the paper at all and weren't even consulted.

So....is O'Gorman and Dept of Children going almost rogue on this? Ploughing ahead with little to no consultation with other departments that his ideas actually fall within? Though what some folks have said of the various Depts over the years, non-cooperation, bullish single mindedness and almost vindictiveness between themselves go hand in hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If this actually goes ahead it will never be reversed, why are we expected to pay for everyone else's problems.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    So....is O'Gorman and Dept of Children going almost rogue on this? Ploughing ahead with little to no consultation with other departments that his ideas actually fall within? Though what some folks have said of the various Depts over the years, non-cooperation, bullish single mindedness and almost vindictiveness between themselves go hand in hand.

They have certainly liasied with public expenditure and the housing agency because they had records. Public expenditure had a number of concerns. There's a list of who was consulted at the front of the report. Housing clearly do not want anything to do with it since there was an article in the paper before this was even published about how housing think this plan won't work and it will exacerbate homelessness. But the quote I got from the department is that they had no input in the costings which is absolutely shocking really

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

https://m.independent.ie/news/housing-minister-says-allocating-public-lands-for-housing-asylum-seekerscould-be-problematic-40476081.html

It is not "raising the spectre of the far right" to be concerned at the enormous resources being diverted from Irish people to mostly illegal immigrants. It's actually a view held by many normal decent sane people. But he feels he has to say it.

Usual smoke screen by a government who has no intention of doing it anyway. If they were to do anything this is a bad way of doing it also. Risk of ghettoization if you build houses for asylum seekers without proper integration.

Dont fall for this BS from Darragh, its a nice diversion away from the focus on the cuckoo funds. They wont build houses for our own without getting private developers to do it they are not going to build them for anyone.

Such a pity that nearly all of Irish media has decided to not do any reporting on this and miss elephants in the room like those that are coming from your FOI's. Its such a pity that theres no actual journalism on this issue from any of the big players

Response to my email from Colm Brophy of Fine Gael, below

Thank you for your email and sharing your views with me in relation to these important issues. I take your views on board.

The government is currently considering legislation to make fair changes to the direct provision system in Ireland. This proposal aims to create a system which supports those seeking asylum in a speedy manner.

The Government’s commitment to close all Direct Provision centres by 2024 marks significant progress in creating a more humane and progressive asylum system.

The White Paper sets out how this change will happen over the next few years, as it details the steps the Government will take to end Direct Provision and replace it with a new system.

Thank you for sharing your views with me on this issue and if I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Thank you for your email and sharing your views with me in relation to these important issues. I take your views on board.

The government is currently considering legislation to make fair changes to the direct provision system in Ireland. This proposal aims to create a system which supports those seeking asylum in a speedy manner.

The Government’s commitment to close all Direct Provision centres by 2024 marks significant progress in creating a more humane and progressive asylum system.

The White Paper sets out how this change will happen over the next few years, as it details the steps the Government will take to end Direct Provision and replace it with a new system.

Thank you for sharing your views with me on this issue and if I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

ctrl+c, ctrl+v. Thats lunch !
    Pretty demoralising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Rhubarb Rhubarb Rhubarb

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Will be interesting to see who will take the blame when this whole idea crashes and burns.

SF could end up alienating their own voters who may think they are favouring AS getting public land for housing when many of them are also looking to be housed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Poor oul Colm probably still hasn't recovered from the other night on VM1 when he was on with Ebun Joseph,

• Registered Users Posts: 86,778 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is that correct the amount the government spent, the increase?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is that correct the amount the government spent, the increase?

What's this referencing?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,778 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Examiner

The cost of the direct provision system increased to €183m last year, partly due to capacity issues and partly due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the need for additional accommodation and quarantine facilities.

The increased spend represents a more than a doubling of costs since 2018, when the bill for the network of accommodation centres for asylum seekers reached €78m, the highest spend since 2010.

Costs increased further to around €120m in 2019, when capacity issues emerged requiring the use of hotels at around €100 per night.

These capacity issues were further compounded in 2020 when the arrival of Covid-19 posed greater risks of infection in crowded settings, such as direct provision centres.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Here's a possible way to end direct provision Dnemark has recently introduced a new system where asylum seekers will be processed outside the EU potentially in African and Middle Eastern countries. This would do a good job to weed out the genuine refugees and the spongers.

GT89 wrote: »
    Here's a possible way to end direct provision Dnemark has recently introduced a new system where asylum seekers will be processed outside the EU potentially in African and Middle Eastern countries. This would do a good job to weed out the genuine refugees and the spongers.

It will be interesting to see if they can get a partner country and how much the EU/UN pushes back against them https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/03/denmark-passes-law-to-let-it-relocate-asylum-seekers-outside-europe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

GT89 wrote: »

We're one of the biggest banana republics in the the supposedly sane world. This policy is far too sensible, and simply goes against the interests of the elite, so it won't be happening here anytime soon.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

TomTomTim wrote: »
    We're one of the biggest banana republics in the the supposedly sane world. This policy is far too sensible, and simply goes against the interests of the elite, so it won't be happening here anytime soon.
    Looks like the MNC gravy train is about to derail with a further 2bn per annum hole to be covered by tax hikes on the serfs
    IMHO We could never afford it, but now the music is about to stop it's undeniable we can't afford any of this nonsense ?

Looks like the MNC gravy train is about to derail with a further 2bn per annum hole to be covered by tax hikes on the serfs
    IMHO We could never afford it, but now the music is about to stop it's undeniable we can't afford any of this nonsense ?

Just tax more and more, they'll keep it going

Remember the Banking crash? That was probably one of the biggest shocks to hit Western economies... and did Ireland stop this nonsense then? Nope.

Sacrifices (by the taxpayer) need to be made... Tighten that belt! That's not going to change until we evolve our political system and the types of politicians getting into any kind of authority/power. Same with our civil servants Tbh. There's a decided lack of interest by our government officials to put the needs of Irish people ahead of other considerations.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Remember the Banking crash? That was probably one of the biggest shocks to hit Western economies... and did Ireland stop this nonsense then? Nope.

Sacrifices (by the taxpayer) need to be made... Tighten that belt! That's not going to change until we evolve our political system and the types of politicians getting into any kind of authority/power. Same with our civil servants Tbh. There's a decided lack of interest by our government officials to put the needs of Irish people ahead of other considerations.

There is a gaping hole in the political market on the right in Ireland. Only a matter of time before someone fills it.

The notion that an asylum seeker arriving here would receive keys to an apartment within months of arrival while we have a housing crisis that mostly effects young Irish adults could be the straw that breaks the camel's back for a lot of people.

I reckon they have gone too far this time.

There is a gaping hole in the political market on the right in Ireland. Only a matter of time before someone fills it.

The notion that an asylum seeker arriving here would receive keys to an apartment within months of arrival while we have a housing crisis that mostly effects young Irish adults could be the straw that breaks the camel's back for a lot of people.

Not only that, don't forget the family that got a lovely €750k worth of property in orwel road in the new development, the father was working in Canada, came here and was housed within a year, they were on the news or papers with the bleeding hearts because they had to give up.tjeir German shepherd if I recall right.....

I actually am sickof paying for all this directly or indirectly and others should see what's happening where many will never be able to purchase their own home.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The Examiner

The cost of the direct provision system increased to €183m last year, partly due to capacity issues and partly due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the need for additional accommodation and quarantine facilities.

The increased spend represents a more than a doubling of costs since 2018, when the bill for the network of accommodation centres for asylum seekers reached €78m, the highest spend since 2010.

Costs increased further to around €120m in 2019, when capacity issues emerged requiring the use of hotels at around €100 per night.

These capacity issues were further compounded in 2020 when the arrival of Covid-19 posed greater risks of infection in crowded settings, such as direct provision centres.

Ah ok, thanks!

Actually still cheaper than O'Gormans scheme which is going to cost at the very least €1 to 2 billion per year!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Ah ok, thanks!

Actually still cheaper than O'Gormans scheme which is going to cost at the very least €1 to 2 billion per year!

No bother to us, I mean it's not like we're going to lose any tax revenue from multinationals over the next couple of years is it? Or that Ireland could lose up to €2 billion annually because of those G7 reforms? Oh.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Marcos wrote: »
    No bother to us, I mean it's not like we're going to lose any tax revenue from multinationals over the next couple of years is it? Or that Ireland could lose up to €2 billion annually because of those G7 reforms? Oh.

Ah dont be worrying, plenty more taxes to be wrung out of the middle class

Ah dont be worrying, plenty more taxes to be wrung out of the middle class

Sure I seen a piece the other day where a woman was saying we should be paying multiples of what we pay on property tax.... Are there any sane people left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

wouldnt be too sure , our placid reaction to the carry on of NPHET and this eternal lockdown , would not fill me with confidence that a fightback will commence

Advertisement