Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

The reason for our housing crisis is government policy.

That's the start, middle and end of it.

Having the paupers blaming immigrants is the classic distraction, while the rich run off with all the money.

And who accepts the immigrants? The government need to get their own house in order before they start giving housing to immigrants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

Yes, I'm pro immigration, but it has to be controlled, of benefit to the country and managed. That to me is around 5,000 people nett per year. At the moment we have that alone in asylum/refugees and people been brought in from UN run camps. Add in all further forms of immigration and we are way over where we should be.

We're a nation of 5 million people, 17 pc of which is already foreign born, under the EUs free movement of people we've opened our country up to over 450 million people, that's not including migration from outside the EU... I'll let you do the math

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MFPM

Fantastic news that this horrendous institutionalisation is coming to an end. Usual dehumanising rubbish littering the thread, plus ca change plus chest la meme chose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MFPM

We're a nation of 5 million people, 17 pc of which is already foreign born, under the EUs free movement of people we've opened our country up to over 450 million people, that's not including migration from outside the EU... I'll let you do the math

Usual nonsensical hyperbole...

Yes, I know. Not sure what your point is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

MFPM wrote: »

Do you dispute the figures?

Yes, I know. Not sure what your point is?

Who will pay for all these people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

I do hope you're around in a few years to answer some tough questions..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

In an ideal world, we all would be..

Off-topic, but the extreme left in Ireland (PBP, etc.) seem to want everybody to be a tenant?

Whereas most Irish people want to own a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Govt can come up with a plan to reopen the Country and Economy but can come out with this. Says it all about this Govt and where their loyalties lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Govt can come up with a plan to reopen the Country and Economy but can come out with this. Says it all about this Govt and where their loyalties lie.

Horseshit.

More than one thing can be done at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

A conclusion, without an explanation. Typical.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

Absolutely laughable. Before taking another person in they need to provide more housing for the people who are currently living here. This government is so out of touch with reality and they need to go.

Geuze wrote: »
    Off-topic, but the extreme left in Ireland (PBP, etc.) seem to want everybody to be a tenant?

Whereas most Irish people want to own a house.

Off topic, but the new BMW M4 is quicker than the previous model. (accelleration wise, both have limited top speeds)

Fantastic news that this horrendous institutionalisation is coming to an end. Usual dehumanising rubbish littering the thread, plus ca change plus chest la meme chose.

I am all for ending DP, very slow and expensive.

Replace it with AS claims processed within 24hrs / 7 days max at the port/ airport.

Much faster process for AS, no more delays for them.

Much lower cost for taxpayer.

Mules wrote: »
    Who will pay for all these people?

I'm saying control immigration but I do believe we need a small amount of people per annum. These should be educated and skilled with numbers capped tightly. They would be used in highly skilled positions that we can't currently fill. This isn't the system we have at the moment, no where near it.

This is probably off topic anyway not connected to asylum/refugees.

Akesh wrote: »
    Absolutely laughable. Before taking another person in they need to provide more housing for the people who are currently living here. This government is so out of touch with reality and they need to go.

Social or affordable? Or free? Or on market?

Which is it you want, because most on this thread don't want the govt to provide ANY housing

Maybe, but note that SF would probably be worse!!!

I'm saying control immigration but I do believe we need a small amount of people per annum. These should be educated and skilled with numbers capped tightly. They would be used in highly skilled positions that we can't currently fill. This isn't the system we have at the moment, no where near it.

Definitely not related to the reform/abolishment of the DP system anyway.

The problem is we're trapped. There's no options, no dissenters. Most parties in Ireland agree on at least 60% of the issues, especially social issues. Watch in the coming days, weeks, there will be very little governmental opposition to this, maybe one or two politicians.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

I'm saying control immigration but I do believe we need a small amount of people per annum.

As we are in the EU, we can't control EU migration, and that's fair enough.

We can control non-EU immigration.

I see little reason for any non-EU immigration.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    The problem is we're trapped. There's no options, no dissenters. Most parties in Ireland agree on at least 60% of the issues, especially social issues. Watch in the coming days, week, there will be very little governmental opposition to this, maybe one or two politicians.

i cant see there being much support for keeping DP as it stands. do you?

Highly skilled sounds good. Anyone who will contribute more in tax than they take in public services is fine by me. However, those people aren't asylum seekers and the government's plan will incentivise asylum seeking

Mules wrote: »
    Highly skilled sounds good. Anyone who will contribute more in tax than they take in public services is fine by me. However, these people aren't asylum seekers and the governments plan will incentivise asylum claims.

Yes, I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Geuze wrote: »
    I am all for ending DP, very slow and expensive.

Replace it with AS claims processed within 24hrs / 7 days max at the port/ airport.

Much faster process for AS, no more delays for them.

Much lower cost for taxpayer.

This sounds great for everyone, I wonder why nobody thought about it?
    Have you tried to verify/get documentation for a person who genuinely lost it all when their city was bombed and genuinely had to trek across a continent with their family?

I'm unable to renew my passport in 7 days when I'm in full possession of all of my details, the office renewing it are the very same one that issued it less then 10 years previously and are based 10km away from me and there isn't a war going on in the nation....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you don't agree, don't vote for a party that supports it.
    Speak to your local TD.

If you don't tell politicians how to act they will make your choices for you.

KeithTS wrote: »
    This sounds great for everyone, I wonder why nobody thought about it?
    Have you tried to verify/get documentation for a person who genuinely lost it all when their city was bombed and genuinely had to trek across a continent with their family?

I'm unable to renew my passport in 7 days when I'm in full possession of all of my details, the office renewing it are the very same one that issued it less then 10 years previously and are based 10km away from me and there isn't a war going on in the nation....

It is assumed on here that all assylum applications are bogus

i cant see there being much support for keeping DP as it stands. do you?

After today, DP looks like a far better option, as bad as it was. This new policy simply makes everything worse as it's even more ripe for abuse. Imagine coming to Ireland, knowing you won't qualify for asylum, and knowing that a system exists that will allow to to have free housing for months/years. It would take all the naivety in the world to conclude that there won't be more abuse of the system as a product of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

titan18 wrote: »
    I don't live in Dublin. With my savings, I could afford about up to 230k i'd say atm. House wise, there's not a giant amount under that in Cork City (on daft anyway) unless you want to live in a sh1t area, so you're mainly looking at apartments and there's a fair lack of suitable ones in Cork City.

When i know of people on the housing list getting houses in new estates worth over 300k (and likely will be the same with this DP plan) it's a bit sh1t that someone working and who's taxes are paying for those gets a worse house or an apartment in a worse area.

Your second paragraph is just mental to try and comprehend. This country is a basket case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,818 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The criteria to claim asylum has been relaxed too, if you show up in a Wham t-shirt they will now be forced to take you in.

Advertisement