Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Sure I seen a piece the other day where a woman was saying we should be paying multiples of what we pay on property tax.... Are there any sane people left

Here take me skid marked underpants as well.
    Poor fookers might get cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

There is a gaping hole in the political market on the right in Ireland. Only a matter of time before someone fills it.

The notion that an asylum seeker arriving here would receive keys to an apartment within months of arrival while we have a housing crisis that mostly effects young Irish adults could be the straw that breaks the camel's back for a lot of people.

I reckon they have gone too far this time.

Its getting to the point where next time around id vote for ian paisleys corpse if it ran on a platform for lower immigration and not raising taxes.

We need a fiscal conservative moderate right party to fill the void before reasonable people are left with no option but to vote for the more extreme right as its clear that centerist FG have no interest in looking after the taxpayer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Its getting to the point where next time around id vote for ian paisleys corpse if it ran on a platform for lower immigration and not raising taxes.

We need a fiscal conservative moderate right party to fill the void before reasonable people are left with no option but to vote for the more extreme right as its clear that centerist FG have no interest in looking after the taxpayer

We have fiscal conservative moderate right parties in government, and they're doing what fiscal conservative moderate right parties always do, which is whatever the money power tells them to do. With due respect, this call for a real conservative government is beginning to come across like apologies for communism - "Real conservatism has never been tried."

I also think that reasonable people are fewer than you imagine. Leave online discussions and go talk to what you would call average people. The ones I know are dying to see Sinn Féin in government to teach FG/FF a lesson.

We have fiscal conservative moderate right parties in government, and they're doing what fiscal conservative moderate right parties always do, which is whatever the money power tells them to do. With due respect, this call for a real conservative government is beginning to come across like apologies for communism - "Real conservatism has never been tried."

I also think that reasonable people are fewer than you imagine. Leave online discussions and go talk to what you would call average people. The ones I know are dying to see Sinn Féin in government to teach FG/FF a lesson.

FF and FG in this and the last election cycle have been kicking the taxpayer in the wallet to fund needless NGO’s, a bloated welfare state and drivel about migrants and other social issues. Nothing either party has done since the 2011 election could be described by any barometer as ‘right wing’

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Will be interesting to see who will take the blame when this whole idea crashes and burns.

SF could end up alienating their own voters who may think they are favouring AS getting public land for housing when many of them are also looking to be housed.

A primary reason I have never voted SF is they believe foreigners deserve a dig out before natives.

But so does FF and FG. And with their handling of Covid and housing, I might just have to give SF a crack. They simply can't be worse than the other two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The danger with SF though is they really don't seem to be behind the worker either though....

I really don't get how bad the whole lot really are, there isn't a middle ground or slightly higher even, they all seem to want to follow the woke, agenda filled crap and social media likes....

Social media is the devil's work imo, it's such a cess pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The danger with SF though is they really don't seem to be behind the worker either though....

I really don't get how bad the whole lot really are, there isn't a middle ground or slightly higher even, they all seem to want to follow the woke, agenda filled crap and social media likes....

Social media is the devil's work imo, it's such a cess pool.

Very very little between SF and FG realistically.
    SF might be slightly worse for workers, but can't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

The NP are there as an option for you. They got pretty embarrassing results any time they've ran for anything though. Gemma O Doherty also ran for president and she is mad enough to do it again. There are other options too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

We have fiscal conservative moderate right parties in government, and they're doing what fiscal conservative moderate right parties always do, .

Have we?

Public spending has soared in recent years, pre-COVID.

Conservative?

MarkEadie wrote: »
    The NP are there as an option for you. They got pretty embarrassing results any time they've ran for anything though. Gemma O Doherty also ran for president and she is mad enough to do it again. There are other options too.

This is my point, nobody should be left in a position where they are left so out in the cold that those nutters are your best fit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Geuze wrote: »
    Have we?

Public spending has soared in recent years, pre-COVID.

Conservative?

Yes, this is what conservative parties have done in Ireland and across the western world. They stand for nothing and they conserve nothing. Hoping for another to appear so that we can have real conservatism is naïve at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Yes, this is what conservative parties have done in Ireland and across the western world. They stand for nothing and they conserve nothing. Hoping for another to appear so that we can have real conservatism is naïve at best.

They don't even call themselves right wing anymore, thankfully.
    Fine Gael, the party of the progressive centre. Part of the current coalition Government of Ireland

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

the NP are a bunch of incels that hate women and immigrants.

Not aligned with my right wing views on economic policy at all.

I'd love to see us having a reincarnation of thatcher in government. Her fiscal policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

ELM327 wrote: »
    the NP are a bunch of incels that hate women and immigrants.

Not aligned with my right wing views on economic policy at all.

I'd love to see us having a reincarnation of thatcher in government. Her fiscal policy.

They've got quite a lot of supporters on here despite doing laughably any time they have ran. Not saying I disagree with your take but just giving you a heads up. For some reason their supporters seem to be overrepresented here wben you look at their paltry performances in elections it doesn't quite make sense that their supporters are so overrepresented here. I'm not. 100% sure on your assertions of their inceldom. I've seen quite a few of their supporters call themselves MGTOW which seeming means they are not interested in women but perhaps that's a coping strategy because women are not interested in them? I do understand your point though, any right leaning party in Ireland does seem to come with added issues that probably put even right leaning voters off. There also seems to be quite a bit of infighting between those right leaning parties which doesn't help the cause but it would make you wonder if they really care about the cause or if it's an ego thing.

They've got quite a lot of supporters on here despite doing laughably any time they have ran. Not saying I disagree with your take but just giving you a heads up. For some reason their supporters seem to be overrepresented here wben you look at their paltry performances in elections it doesn't quite make sense that their supporters are so overrepresented here. I'm not. 100% sure on your assertions of their inceldom. I've seen quite a few of their supporters call themselves MGTOW which seeming means they are not interested in women but perhaps that's a coping strategy because women are not interested in them? I do understand your point though, any right leaning party in Ireland does seem to come with added issues that probably put even right leaning voters off. There also seems to be quite a bit of infighting between those right leaning parties which doesn't help the cause but it would make you wonder if they really care about the cause or if it's an ego thing.

Rubbish. Posters like yourself love to claim that there are heaps of supporters for the NP, or right wing parties on boards... and you have little to no evidence to support such claim. More vague nonsense about the perils of "certain" groups, and assigning of ideas to "them".... probably only because they don't match yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

I don't think the NP have many supporters on here at all. But I guess it depends what views you consider "NP views" to be able to identify them.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/department-to-close-24-accommodation-centres-for-asylum-seekers-1.4587589

"Two dozen emergency accommodation centres which currently house more than 1,300 asylum seekers are to be “decommissioned” by the end of this year, the Department of Children and Equality has said.

The department, which is leading plans to end direct provision, told The Irish Times it plans to shut the 24 emergency centres by the end of 2021. "

"The State-owned integration and reception centres will have a total capacity for 1,980 at one time (330 in each centre) with one centre located in Dublin and five dotted around the country.

A department spokesman said work was still ongoing to identify the locations for these centres.

An IPSS transition team is being assembled while a “detailed implementation plan” for ending direct provision is scheduled to be completed by the end of June, the spokesman said.

Mr O’Gorman is also set to announce the members of the programme board and external advisory committee that will oversee the transition to IPSS in the coming weeks, said the spokesman, adding that the programme board’s first meeting is due to take place in June.

Discussions with the Housing Agency about available funding schemes for accommodation in the community and the role AHBs will play in the new system are ongoing, the spokesman said. The County and City Management Association is also developing an “allocation key” that will be used as a guide for how many asylum seekers are accommodated in each local authority area, he added.

Mr O’Gorman previously said the expertise of the Housing Agency would be “crucial” in developing the new accommodation system. "

"A total of 1,566 applications for international protection were made in 2020, a drop of two-thirds on the 4,781 asylum claims made in 2019. A total of 480 applications for asylum were made in Ireland during the first four months of this year. More than 20 per cent of applicants in 2021 were Nigerian with seven per cent coming from Afghanistan, more than six per cent from South Africa and another six per cent from Somalia. "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

A primary reason I have never voted SF is they believe foreigners deserve a dig out before natives.

But so does FF and FG. And with their handling of Covid and housing, I might just have to give SF a crack. They simply can't be worse than the other two.

Why can't they be worst?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/department-to-close-24-accommodation-centres-for-asylum-seekers-1.4587589

"Two dozen emergency accommodation centres which currently house more than 1,300 asylum seekers are to be “decommissioned” by the end of this year, the Department of Children and Equality has said.

These announcements are always very light on info about how the claims process will be speeded-up.

They always give info on new/better/improved accomm, but little info on faster claims processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

Rubbish. Posters like yourself love to claim that there are heaps of supporters for the NP, or right wing parties on boards... and you have little to no evidence to support such claim. More vague nonsense about the perils of "certain" groups, and assigning of ideas to "them".... probably only because they don't match yours.

Mark joined 2 weeks ago, g'wan Mark who were you last time round on here? It may save some posters wasting their time responding to ya!

• Advertisement

This is it, with the exception of 2 posters with a bit of a postcount its only ever new accounts ever seem to support the NP, very little support on here but these posters would love to pretend its a recruiting ground on this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Very ambitious target to have that many shut by end of year, I'd be extremely surprised.

Young people need to wake up and see their futures are eroding away with all this crap as their cost of living and chances of owning or living comfortably is been seriously put at risk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Geuze wrote: »
    These announcements are always very light on info about how the claims process will be speeded-up.

They always give info on new/better/improved accomm, but little info on faster claims processing.

Because they have no interest in speeding up the claims. Why do you think every discussion held by these groups ends in "Oh we will give them houses...and let them work (so visas without any verification or determination of their skillsets, unlike every other country does)......and then give them passports and then citizenship"

Never any talk of clearing the backlog, just how much more can be thrown at these poor, poor unfortunates! The reason DP is bad is that people are stuck in it for ages, and the slow arse system and endless appeals doesnt help at all.

enricoh wrote: »
    Mark joined 2 weeks ago, g'wan Mark who were you last time round on here? It may save some posters wasting their time responding to ya!

Probably Philip Sheambar from Facebook, not sure if anyone knows the name but 'he' was a regular commenter on post on immigration and housing and bashing the Irish, funny enough he's disappeared around the same time those fake twitter accounts came out from the news presenter. Maybe Mark has come here to blow of that steam!

https://www.arte.tv/en/videos/101185-000-A/canary-islands-under-migrant-pressure/

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Feadog999

The government have approved the courts and civil law bill 2021 which has clear implications on those in direct provision and the new international protection scheme. The bill changes the residency requirements for naturalisation of children born in Ireland from 5 years to 3 years - one of the lowest requirements in Europe I believe

https://twitter.com/JamesBrowneTD/status/1402191668275732485?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

Lol. So this is how they get their birthright citizenship through - they just need to amend the proposed age downward once or twice more, and Voila!

Your government really take ye for right aul mugs, don’t they?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

This all seems rather undemocratic

Have a baby, appeal for 3 years, sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

This all seems rather undemocratic

Have a baby, appeal for 3 years, sorted

Open to correction but I think you have to be legally resident in the State before having a baby that qualifies under this new law.

Asylum seekers are not legally resident and therefore any kids they have while going through the asylum process would not qualify for citizenship under this new law.

I do agree that it is sneaky. This isn’t what we voted for a couple of years ago!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Pronto63 wrote: »
    This isn’t what we voted for a couple of years ago!
    And we will not be asked to vote on it again, that's for certain.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Feadog999

Great write up about the direct provision plan and the issues with it from Killian Woods in the Business Post this morning. Great to see they highlight the issues that Public Expenditure have with the report

https://www.businesspost.ie/social-affairs/timetable-to-end-direct-provision-is-unrealistic-dper-officials-warn-d559d980?auth=login

Advertisement