Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reset Laptop to give to Parents

Options
  • 26-02-2021 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭

Ok got a new laptop and have a Dell Studio 155 with Windows 10 installed and took all personal documents etc from it on it but some programs still on it like MS Office and an Antivirus program along with Zoom and Skype.

Want to give it to parents but want to keep some of the programs that they would use so don't want to do a full reset.

Any way I can assign it to them and they can use it straight away rather than sorting it over phone (thank you Arona)

No MS login on laptop assigned so just want them to be able to turn it on access Interweb, Skype, Word etc via desktop shortcuts

Also I use Teamviewer to access their Android box so any other app that is good for accessing Laptop remotely?

Hopefully can set up the wifi from outside the house as wifi signal strong rather than me spending to much time in the house(again thank you Arona)

Any suggestions that can assist post here

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Could they install something like Ninite to batch install the various packages?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Could they install something like Ninite to batch install the various packages?

Ok never heard of this so just see this is a program that updates programs etc some but not windows update that correct?

Is it better to just install this give them the laptop as is and changed name of Laptop or anything else I need to change?

I have nothing personal on it but just wondering

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Ok never heard of this so just see this is a program that updates programs etc some but not windows update that correct?

Is it better to just install this give them the laptop as is and changed name of Laptop or anything else I need to change?

I have nothing personal on it but just wondering

If it was me, I'd do a factory reset and bring it to them and install what's needed with them.

I've never used Ninite but I've seen it recommended. Windows Update should take care of itself.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

setup a local user profile for your parents with shortcut they need on desktop/taskbar, and then either give them the admin password for changes, or handle that yourself if admin is needed. that way you reduce the risk of them installing/breaking stuff, as it wont happen accidentally! You also maintain privacy for your profile if you are keeping some stuff on there.

you said you already use teamviewer for android box, why would you not install teamviewer on laptop too ? free for personal use, or it was last time i checked! Not sure why you would change

Put a little video on desktop or a cheat sheet on how to setup wifi. they will just have to type in the password that way!

Are there any special challenges you anticipate? If you have some software on there for instance torrenting etc, you can change the file association so that if they hit a link/file of that type it doesn't open the application. thats a good compromise from uninstalling the software altogether. You could get them to use a different web browser altogether, but setting it as default and prominently setting the shortcut for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Hi OP

setup a local user profile for your parents with shortcut they need on desktop/taskbar, and then either give them the admin password for changes, or handle that yourself if admin is needed. that way you reduce the risk of them installing/breaking stuff, as it wont happen accidentally! You also maintain privacy for your profile if you are keeping some stuff on there.

you said you already use teamviewer for android box, why would you not install teamviewer on laptop too ? free for personal use, or it was last time i checked! Not sure why you would change

Put a little video on desktop or a cheat sheet on how to setup wifi. they will just have to type in the password that way!

Are there any special challenges you anticipate? If you have some software on there for instance torrenting etc, you can change the file association so that if they hit a link/file of that type it doesn't open the application. thats a good compromise from uninstalling the software altogether. You could get them to use a different web browser altogether, but setting it as default and prominently setting the shortcut for it.

I have TeamViewer associated to one email account was not sure if I can add another Pc to same email ? so i can log into Android box and Laptop using same login in

They use a desktop already but not to Tech Savvy. I can do a factory reset and then install what programs they require and they can bookmark anything. If they want more then I can remote in

The only challenge is spending time inside house sorting it out as not in a bubble with them

Just resetting it would be a pain in the A and updating Windows etc taking forever thats why was looking for another option

• Advertisement
Advertisement