Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Robin Hedge Advice

Options
  • 26-02-2021 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi All, have this lovely red robin hedge. Was going great, however last year with wind and storms etc. it's not as full as it once was, i have trimmed it back several time and got new growth, just not as thick as i'd like. Any advice? Should i dig around roots and feed? all tips welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I would suggest a good pruning to get it to thicken out at the bottom. You'll end up with all the growth at the top and bare branches at the bottom otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,336 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You probably don't want to hear this, but what Wyldwood is saying is dead on. A bit of a trim is not going to do it, it needs rather ruthless cutting back in about a month or so. In the meantime google information and see what the advice is, just to reassure yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

thanks guys "when you say a good pruning" how much should i be cutting it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

also is it too early to do it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I'd cut it back to about half, maybe a little more. About mid April would be a good time . But I'm open to correction on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,336 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, I was saying 'a month or so' which would be about April.

And no, absolutely don't dig around the roots. Small bit of a feed if you must, I wouldn't though.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I found that when my mixed native plant hedgerow had more or less established itself, that it benefited greatly from being mulched with grass cuttings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Ginger83

One of the biggest issues with a hedge is people unhappy with gaps but they believe they are going to lose out if they cut it back.
    The Totally untrue. I would cut the top half off that. Don't worry you will be rewarded five fold with growth.

Advertisement