Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISI Fighter Shamima Begum Not allowed to return to the UK

Options
  • 26-02-2021 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

whatever about their management of other scenarios, the UK got this one spot on.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56209007

we should learn from them and never have allowed Lisa Smyth to return here.

Islamic terrorism has no place in europe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"the right to a fair hearing did "not trump all other considerations, such as the safety of the public".

Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

She fought against her country and wants to go back?
    As if nothing happened?

This is treason. There are responsibilities that come with your rights.

Good to see that having a strict religion is not an antidote to being an entitled millennial.

Lisa Smyth is Irish and didn't take up arms against the State through.

Good. As far as I'm concerned she's exactly where she intended to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Random Account

Fair play to the brits. Hope she rots in that ****hole. Imagine us letting Lisa Smith back in. Shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm glad it worked out like it did. Unlike some other countries UK and Denmark are sending out a strong message that if you leave the country to join such a horrendous terror sect you are not welcome back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

biko wrote: »
    I'm glad it worked out like it did. Unlike some other countries UK and Denmark are sending out a strong message that if you join a leave the country to such a horrendous terror sect you are not welcome back.

Who knew common sense still existed in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

No sympathy for her at all, but this argument:
    Lord Reed added the Court of Appeal had "mistakenly believed that, when an individual's right to have a fair hearing... came into conflict with the requirements of national security, her right to a fair hearing must prevail."

He said the right to a fair hearing did "not trump all other considerations, such as the safety of the public".

is a fairly sinister statement when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I'm sure roderic o gorman will give her a nice house and money if she decides to live here

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The UK rarely gets it right but that lunatic is best kept out and as far away from the hard working decent citizens.

Probably end up here like many others though.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,488 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to be clear

She is not allowed into the UK to attend her appeal against the removal of her UK citizenship

That appeal will progress, possibly with her attending via video link, and if she wins it there may be a new debate over whether a UK citizen can be denied entry into the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

On one hand I don't like the idea of stripping her of her citizenship and she should face trial and imprisonment for what she did.

On the other hand I don't care. She is a disgusting human being.

The women who went over to be ISIS wives are so disgusting. Imagine going into another country and getting involved in an organisation that keeps women as sex slaves. A woman who grew up in a western country

They absolutely disgust me. Same as the Irish one. They can come back then and say they didn't fight. They are worse in some ways then the men who did. Oh poor me I'm just a girl. Not a fighter.

Brits on a roll.

Covid vaccines - bam*

Shamima Begum- whack*

Imagine Ben Gilroy hurley noises

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

On one hand I don't like the idea of stripping her of her citizenship and she should face trial and imprisonment for what she did.

On the other hand I don't care. She is a disgusting human being.

The women who went over to be ISIS wives are so disgusting. Imagine going into another country and getting involved in an organisation that keeps women as sex slaves. A woman who grew up in a western country

They absolutely disgust me. Same as the Irish one. They can come back then and say they didn't fight. They are worse in some ways then the men who did. Oh poor me I'm just a girl. Not a fighter.

Yup agree Germans did the same post WW2 'funnily enough' every one interviewed about working at a concentration camp was a low level didn't have a clue what was going on employee..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Brits on a roll.

Covid vaccines - bam*

Shamima Begum- whack*

Imagine Ben Gilroy hurley noises

A Brexit Bonus if you will, even if Ireland decided to do similar to Lisa Smith etc. then the EU Court of Human Rights would just overrule any similar scenario here.

E mac wrote: »
    Yup agree Germans did the same post WW2 'funnily enough' every one interviewed about working at a concentration camp was a low level didn't have a clue what was going on employee..

Convenient!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭Odhinn

whatever about their management of other scenarios, the UK got this one spot on.

A rather harsh view, given that she was but 15 years when she went off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

The Brits were right to get independence from the European courts.

Meanwhile in Irish courts today, despite a judge admitting to having the power to give a life sentence, a judge gave less to a man convicted of raping a 6 month old. He even suspended part of the sentence. I have no words....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Odhinn wrote: »
    A rather harsh view, given that she was but 15 years when she went off.

I'm sure the girls that were taken as slaves by ISIS were all over age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I'm sure the girls that were taken as slaves by ISIS were all over age.

So you think a 15 year old should suffer the same consequences as an adult?

There’s always (at least) one to defend the indefensible. Never change.

Beasty wrote: »
    Just to be clear

She is not allowed into the UK to attend her appeal against the removal of her UK citizenship

That appeal will progress, possibly with her attending via video link, and if she wins it there may be a new debate over whether a UK citizen can be denied entry into the country

Is this definitely the case? Because i watched the 6pm bbc news earlier and when this story came on there was some woman from some advocate organisation saying something along the lines of " we won't hear her story now, we won't know if she was groomed etc" but if she can attend via video link, or even via a lawyer, the court will hear all the circumstances...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

What happened to the girls she travelled there with?

Shamima Begum is a British citizen.

She went to join occupied land. That land has since been reclaimed.

She is of no responsibility to Syria or anyone else and should be returned to Britain.

She went to join occupied land. That land has since been reclaimed. She is of no responsibility to Syria or anyone else and should be returned to Britain.

Bangladesh can take this piece of human garbage.

She went to join occupied land. That land has since been reclaimed. She is of no responsibility to Syria or anyone else and should be returned to Britain.

Thats a little simplistic to be fair, if she went to join a white supremacist group would you think the same? She joined a group whose cruelty and murderousness was on a scale rarely seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

Bangladesh can take this piece of human garbage.

I don't think they want her either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭trashcan

She can’t be compared to Lisa Smyth legally. There is no legal means by which Lisa Smyth can have her citizenship removed. Not defending her in any way, but that’s just the fact of the matter. The only citizenship that can be revoked under our laws is that gained through naturalisation. Therefore as an Irish citizen she can’t be refused entry into the country, no matter what she’s done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'm only suprised she hasn't being taken out along with anyone else who decides to join a terror group ,
    If they can't be removed leave them in a desert and let nature take its course

Advertisement