Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9k for a can of coke!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,291 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Money for jam!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

Tesco had to pay both sides legal costs

Certainly will encourage people to deceptively/sneakily pay for items hoping to be then accused of stealing!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭20/20

Did you read the article. . . The boy’s legal team was also awarded Circuit Court costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

walshb wrote: »
    Certainly will encourage people to deceptively/sneakily pay for items hoping to be then accused of stealing!

This is a long time practice in order to try and get a claim.

Naive from the security guard to be honest, never stop unless 100% sure and definitely not a for a tiny sum like this. Claims are rife for this crap, usually they get settled quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

If a shop falsely accused me of stealing and tried to detain me, I'd sue them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

Might encourage security staff to be sure before accusing a minor of theft and dragging them into a closed room. If he is anything like my son of a similar age I'd say he was terrified.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Yester wrote: »
    If a shop falsely accused me of stealing and tried to detain me, I'd sue them as well.

Why 9k though? Seems like a figure plucked out of the air....€900 perhaps.....

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

Most people are not out to scam. The cost of this case should punish them in to implementing proper procedures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,892 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Happens all the time. People will pick up stuff like clothes in Penney's and walk around looking suspicious and then hide them among clothes in the store and walk out hoping the security stops them.

• Advertisement

Tesco kept 2c change from me the other day.

They can use that the cu*ts

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Iteration1

And thats something to be proud of? Jumping to a lawsuit as the answer? Contributing to compo-culture? You wouldn't opt to pull them up on their mistake at the scene, or wait and be satisfied when vindicated? Nah, I'd sue them, that's the best use of money and resources. The world wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It happens all the time, but going on the newspaper report the security guards went about it in a totally wrong way. I don't think it's worth near €9,000, but it's embarrassing being called a thief in public.

db wrote: »
    Might encourage security staff to be sure before accusing a minor of theft and dragging them into a closed room. If he is anything like my son of a similar age I'd say he was terrified.

I wonder did the boy produce a receipt?

I mean, if the shop has a suspicion (which they can be entitled to have), then surely a quick receipt production is all that the boy needed? And if he did not have one, then maybe he should have?

Anyway, absolute scandalous amount awarded here. Compo culture greed as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

The young fella was defamed not only amongst his peers but the larger community in the shopping centre, forcibly and falsely imprisoned and the security guard admitted fault.
    Why wouldn't he sue he'd every right to do so.
    Security guards don't have the authority to do what he did and before anyone brings up citizens arrest, yea you can still be sued for that.
    Tort law exists for a reason and it was utilised well here.
    You'd swear he'd purposefully slipped and was making a vexious fraudulent claim.

Security guards surely have some rights as regards stopping theft? Of course, sometimes they get it wrong, but they have to be able to at least challenge those that they believe have stolen?

This incident they got wrong. But 9000 euro is ridiculous.

If this boy paid for the items in a way that led to serious suspicion, then he also must share some blame..

And there are absolute cases where people deliberately set out to be accused..

I mean, if the shop has a suspicion (which they can be entitled to have), then surely a quick receipt production is all that the boy needed? And if he did not have one, then maybe he should have?

There's bins at the self service tills in most tescos because a lot of people either leave or ditch theirs before they leave.

An innocent young fella may have not taken, ditched, or not had the wherewithal to show a receipt. Regardless burden of proof and all that.

Security guards surely have some rights as regards stopping theft? Of course, sometimes they get it wrong, but they have to be able to at least challenge those that they believe have stolen?

This incident they got wrong. But 9000 euro is ridiculous.

If this boy paid for the items in a way that led to serious suspicion, then he also must share some blame..

And there are absolute cases where people deliberately set out to be accused..

Absaloutly zero right to stop or acuse anyone, especially with force. Let them on and pass on the footage to the guards.
    False imprisonment can also be performed by force, through embarrassment, fear, or intimidation its a slippery slope.

You can't stop someone on suspicion of larceny here. You don't stop someone unless you are certain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

To be fair the self service tills ask if you want a receipt and I generally say no as no point in creating extra rubbish, if they expect you to be able to produce a receipt there shouldn't be an option.

9k is excessive compensation though

• Advertisement

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Absaloutly zero right to stop or acuse anyone, especially with force. Let them on and pass on the footage to the guards.
    False imprisonment can also be performed by force, through embarrassment, fear, or intimidation its a slippery slope.

Hold on..

Security guards have 0 right to challenge potential thieves?

What? So why would stores employ security?

Let them on and notify the gardai?

Am I actually reading this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

With the self service checkouts at Tesco these days you need to press a button on the touch screen to issue a receipt, you don’t one automatically. I never get a receipt for my normal shopping and definitely wouldn’t get one for a can of coke.

Should he have his receipt? No. If he should have it (for whatever reason you’re thinking of), the system should issue one automatically.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    To be fair the self service tills ask if you want a receipt and I generally say no as no point in creating extra rubbish, if they expect you to be able to produce a receipt there shouldn't be an option.

9k is excessive compensation though

This is simple:

Two way respect and cooperation.

Security trying to do a difficult job for us all.

They sometimes make mistakes, but instead of society showing respect and consideration and understanding, it’s straight to the jugular. What can we get? Who can we screw? It’s greed in most instances...

This incident to me looks to be blown way out of exaggeration and beefed up by solicitors looking to get a pay out.

Security can make mistakes. They are humans. Do all these mistakes need to be big payouts?

Hold on..

Security guards have 0 right to challenge potential thieves?

What? So why would stores employ security?

Let them on and notify the gardai?

Am I actually reading this?

You are indeed, they are there to act as a deterrent, they have no more authority than the fella behind the till does.
    Also an insurance issue not having them in some stores.

I'll repeat it you can not stop accuse and falsely imprison someone on suspicion of theft.

Mjolnir wrote: »
    You are indeed, they are there to act as a deterrent, they have no more authority than the fella behind the till does.
    Also an insurance issue not having them in some stores.

I'll repeat it you can not stop accuse and falsely imprison someone on suspicion of theft.

Ok.

So security in stores that see someone thieve have to simply let the person do so and let them leave. They cannot challenge them or speak to them or investigate in any way?

Ok, I am lost.

I can go to my local SuperValu and load up load goods and walk out unchallenged?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Iteration1 wrote: »
    And thats something to be proud of? Jumping to a lawsuit as the answer? Contributing to compo-culture? You wouldn't opt to pull them up on their mistake at the scene, or wait and be satisfied when vindicated? Nah, I'd sue them, that's the best use of money and resources. The world wept.

Yes and I would also press charges against the security guard for assault and false imprisonment .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Or stores to be more careful before they accuse someone of thievery and hold them against their will.

Ok.

So security in stores that see someone thieve have to simply let the person do so and let them leave. They cannot challenge them or speak to them or investigate in any way?

Ok, I am list..

They can call the guards or make a citizens arrest, the latter still leaves them open to being sued. They have no power of arrest, stopping someone on the suspicion of a crime is considered an ...........

If you don't belive me pick up the tort nutshell book it's basic but only €25, or you can pick up MacMahon & Binchy which is the authoritative text in Ireland but that will run you over 10x the amount.

Yes and I would also press charges against the security guard for assault and false imprisonment .

Assault?

I’d like to hear the security guard’s version here...

The article has the boy’s brief saying this and that..

So I’d take that with a pinch of salt

Sounds very like the claimant would have sued for assault if assault actually happened..

So you know, maybe this assault talk is bull.

• Advertisement

Could of easily thrown in assualt for grabbing him, I'd argue that shows they were out to make a statement rather than bring in as much as they could.

Advertisement