Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cook pasta without a hob

Options
  • 27-02-2021 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭

Hello foodies, I'm going to be without a kitchen for a few weeks in April, so I'm planning meals ahead.

No hob, no oven. Will have a bbq if the weather suits. I will have some electrical bits, and don't want to buy anything else for the sake of a few weeks.

This is what I can set up temporarily
    • Kettle
    • Tefal Electric steamer
    • Microwave
    • Toaster
    • Fridge / freezer

The children eat pasta with something a couple of times a week. I am planning to batch cook in advance, things we can microwave. Curries, stews, pasta sauce. How can I cook the pasta without a hob? Has anyone used a tefal steamer to steam pasta, maybe in the rice dish? Or is there a way to microwave it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Chinese rice cooker and get them used to rice, its all carbohydrates isn't it

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Soak the pasta in cold water overnight.

At dinner time soak it in just boiled water for 5 mins.

That might work. Try it out anyway. Reduce the cold soak if too mushy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

If I had to be without a cooker for an extended period I would prob just get a cheap air fryer and a plug in hob like one of these

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1241734/Trail/searchtext%3ELEISUREWIZE.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭alanc2003

• Advertisement

Could you freeze it? Never did it before so don’t know how it would work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lolabear2020

Lidl had some microwave pasta cooking containers earlier for 1.50. I didn’t pay much attention except noticed the price so might be an option or even to see how it works and copy it with your own containers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Quinoa cooks in a microwave handy out if you have a relative seal around the container with steam holes.

One cup quinoa two water per person. Six minutes, stir and two more. Stir it and let it sit with a towel over it for about eight more minutes.

Also don't underestimate those pasta pot noodles they do now. Throw a drop of boiled water in the cup and cover with the foil, stir after four minutes and leave for another four before letting the cover off to cool and eating. Lazy but tasty every now and again if you can handle the msg and sodium.

Microwave rice is an obvious call, I actually use those packets in the wok when I'm hungry and lazy but they turn out fine if you nuke em as well.

Waffles are the business from the toaster.

You can also turn a toaster on its side and it's a grill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

gansi wrote: »

Tastes absolutely foul. Soggy and all sticks together and breaks apart.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I know you said you don't want to buy anything, but I second buying a small camping stove. They're brilliant and they're not expensive. We've had one for years and use it for picnics, and power cuts. During the Beast From the East snow storm our power went and we made stews for ourselves and our elderly neighbours on it.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3407497/Trail/searchtext%3ECAMPING+STOVE.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

Just microwave the pasta, no shortage of YouTube videos showing how. I have done it before and found it ok.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

athlone573 wrote: »
    Chinese rice cooker and get them used to rice, its all carbohydrates isn't it

I have rice cooker, we will be having rice. Just don't want it for weeks on end. Variety and all that.

Thanks though.

gansi wrote: »

No, it turns to mush when frozen. Have tried it.

No on the camping stove for many reasons. Mainly won't have physical space.

Open gas flame and boiling water on a table or chair around kids, with everything else going on here would not work.

con747 wrote: »
    Just microwave the pasta, no shortage of YouTube videos showing how. I have done it before and found it ok.

Will try this, thanks. I have tried the absorbtion method before, where you cover with boiling water and leave, but the texture is awful. Gelatinous. Maybe stick it in the microwave instead in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

pwurple wrote: »
    No on the camping stove for many reasons. Mainly won't have physical space.

Open gas flame and boiling water on a table or chair around kids, with everything else going on here would not work.

Get a plug in electrical hob so. Takes up no space.

It floats does it? :D

Okie dokie, think this one can be locked.

https://www.adverts.ie/small-kitchen-appliances/single-hot-plates-electric-1500-watts-5-heat-settings-galway-city-home-door-delivery-5-euro-extra/17184586

An electric hot plate for under 15 euro.
    Here I'd go in to classified adverts and find people in the locality giving them away for free but there are few to be fiound in Ireland as rental properties in Ireland come with kitchens fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I remember investigating this, and coming across a businessman who spent most of his life in hotel rooms, and had devised hacks for cooking all sorts using only the implements available in said hotel rooms - ie basically a small kettle and an iron!

If I can find it again I'll post a link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭sekond

There is microwave pasta, similar to the pouches of microwave rice you can get. Might be a bit pricey if they eat a lot of pasta, but should be a fairly reliable option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

I don't know what ye are doing with the frozen pasta :) but I find it freezes fine, important not to overcook in first place and strain and wash with cold water immediately when it's cooked to get it cold asap, when dried off then it freezes fine. I usually have a few containers of it in the freezer for an extra quick snack with some of those sauce things, can't remember the name but I like the sweet pepper one and just stir in a spoon of that after popping in microwave to thaw. Freeze in individual portions as it's handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

pwurple wrote: »
    It floats does it? :D

Okie dokie, think this one can be locked.

Does your hob float? Not really sure why putting something on a countertop is any more inconvenient or dangerous than using your hob, but maybe I'm missing something.

Because I won't have any countertop. I have exactly enough space for the items I listed in the OP. Those are propped on a cardboard box. No other space. There won't be any counter at all while we take apart the old kitchen and put together a new one. There will be a chair I could use, but like I said, that is dangerous.

Skitting that I have to explain 4 times that I am asking how to cook pasta without a hob, with the title I stuck on. :D It doesn't compute eh?

Umpteen responses telling me where to get one. No thank you. I do not want to buy a throw away appliance for the sake of a few weeks, and also where it won't suit the space .

Yes, we do eat other things too... but thanks for informing me that couscous and rice exist. :D

Annnnnnnnyway. I tested the rice steamer method.

Boiling water went into the rice container, added the pasta. Set a15 minute timer on the steamer. It was a bit overdone, but not too bad. 12 will do the trick I think.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. Freezer is now stocked with sauces for pasta along with the other meals after a busy Sunday, so we are all prepped.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Thread closed at OP's request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement