Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on pruning lavender

Options
  • 28-02-2021 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi all,

Some advice please for a novice here: I have 2 year old lavender plants that have taken well in the garden but I’ve not done any pruning/trimming in that time. I’m told early spring is a good time to prune so should I cut all the woody flower heads and stems in the attached pic?

What about pruning the main body of the plant? Should I cut back to a more manageable shape?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Prune about a 1/3 off the top of the plants. They will bounce back in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

I watched a lavender farmer interview last year. He said “on the 8th day of the 8th month, cut all lavender back to an inch above the old stems” so I put it in my diary as a yearly reminder :)
    ollie103 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Some advice please for a novice here: I have 2 year old lavender plants that have taken well in the garden but I’ve not done any pruning/trimming in that time. I’m told early spring is a good time to prune so should I cut all the woody flower heads and stems in the attached pic?

What about pruning the main body of the plant? Should I cut back to a more manageable shape?

Thanks.

Advertisement