Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right wing extremist group behind Dublin Protest say Gardai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Anti lockdowners? I don’t see anti lockdown sentiment as being intrinsically right wing. Or left wing. It’s what it is.

I was also amused by the supposed left wing anti water charges protests. Anybody I knew on that was self employed and right wing economically. It was, after all, an anti tax demo.

If you wanted to put anti lockdown sentiment into a box it would be generic anti government.

Yes, but the water charges protests were seized upon by left-wing politicians to build a vote. The problem with trying to lead a mob is that sometimes a mob heads off in a direction you don't want.

Yes it sure is to make the government AWARE of the displeasure of lockdown

So its is there fore an AWARNESS march ,

Honestly the more you discuss it with pro march people the more you understand what type of people your dealing with ,

I’m not pro this march. Or anti it. I’m pro lockdown. I see it as a democratic right to protest, and I’m just arguing mostly against the idea that it was far right. There were definitely idiots on the march though like the woman with the tee shirt with the misspelled “their”.

Lay off the ad hominem.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    i said there are ten " far left " TD,s in the dail , not in government

being opposed to abortion does not make someone " far right " , nor does opposing gay marriage but most people who oppose gay marriage dont equate homosexuality with paedophilia so you are cherry picking in order to make a point

as for attacking someone with a stick , do you think no far left group ever did that ?

the far left espouses the nationalising of private property , that to me is abhorrent , they espouse open borders , that is also abhorrent to me , they espouse silencing and prosecuting people who hold opinions they deem to be offensive ( hate speech ) , again abhorrent

The far right political movement and their leaders are on record espousing those views. I'm not talking about your average Joe in the street who claims he's a liberal, I mean the leaders of these parties and movements. I'm not cherry picking anything, I'm talking about their well-documented public positions on those issues. I'd like to know who, in your eyes, is on the far left and what views they hold that are abhorrent as the ones espoused by the far right.

You have declined to answer that query, I note. So maybe we can try again?

Which TDs have called for open borders, unlimited immigration, nationalising of private property and prosecuting those who hold different views?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,772 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'v heard a couple of figures but how many where actually at it ? Any one any idea

I’m not pro this march. Or anti it. I’m pro lockdown. I see it as a democratic right to protest, and I’m just arguing mostly against the idea that it was far right. There were definitely idiots on the march though like the woman with the tee shirt with the misspelled “their”.

Lay off the ad hominem.

Sorry my bad
    Yes its there right but in my opinion there idiots for going ,

• Advertisement

Ireland. I'm living in Ireland and those views are being spouted by the self-proclaimed far-right brigade, here, in Ireland, as recently as this week.

all of those views in one single party? And if there is such a party what percentage vote does it get?
    I'm asking that poster who claims there is "an issue with the rise of the far left" who they would classify as "far left" and which policies they are extolling that are remotely as harmful as the policies I've listed which belong to the "far right".

Well that’s a bit off topic regarding the debate. Do you think the anti lockdown protests were full of people voicing the opinions you, and the thread title, attribute to the far right?

However it shows the paucity of journalism in this country. Given the actual lack of traditional leadership of these protests how hard would it be to get a vox pop of say 20 people on the march to get their opinions on this and what else the believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Ireland. I'm living in Ireland and those views are being spouted by the self-proclaimed far-right brigade, here, in Ireland, as recently as this week.

I'm asking that poster who claims there is "an issue with the rise of the far left" who they would classify as "far left" and which policies they are extolling that are remotely as harmful as the policies I've listed which belong to the "far right".

the " far right " are miniscule in size compared to the far left and more importantly have no power , beit politically or culturally , the far left have huge cultural power in ireland , they dominate the NGO and academic sector and have a big footprint in media

all of those views in one single party? And if there is such a party what percentage vote does it get?

No, multiple parties and movements and public personae who are at the forefront of the 'far-right' movement in Ireland. I'm sure there are some who ascribe to them all. As for how many votes they got, I can tell you it was more than the previous election. I'd classify that as a "rise in the far-right", wouldn't you?
    Well that’s a bit off topic regarding the debate. Do you think the anti lockdown protests were full of people voicing the opinions you, and the thread title, attribute to the far right?

What? How is it off-topic? It was in direct response to a point that was made about the "far-left"...........the same "far-left" that were falsely blamed for the actions of their counterparts on the "far-right" by the most eminent law enforcement officer in the land, and which is the title of the thread. How in the name of Christ is that off topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The far right political movement and their leaders are on record espousing those views. I'm not talking about your average Joe in the street who claims he's a liberal, I mean the leaders of these parties and movements. I'm not cherry picking anything, I'm talking about their well-documented public positions on those issues. I'd like to know who, in your eyes, is on the far left and what views they hold that are abhorrent as the ones espoused by the far right.

You have declined to answer that query, I note. So maybe we can try again?

Which TDs have called for open borders, unlimited immigration, nationalising of private property and prosecuting those who hold different views?

PBP , solidarity , paul murphy , all far left , ive already listed the views they hold which i find abhorrent , read the manifestos of any of the above and they espouse all of what ive pointed out

you dont name any individuals from the " far right " who you believe hold uniquely abhorrent views and besides , the number of people who are active in " far right " politics in ireland is miniscule , they dont have a single elected public representative around the country , if a half a dozen guys somewhere want everyone different sent to the chambers , i wont loose sleep at night , you cant eliminate horrible views in people and those kind of people will always be out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

What part of the march changes any of the above ?

Do you dispute that FACT that a large gathering like that i will only help the virus spread ?

So again what part of the march does more good than harm ?

March if you like but at the same time understand the vast majority of the population will not apricate your uneducated choices .

Uneducated choices? Come down from your high horse.

You need to accept that this is a democracy and not a dictatorship. People can protest if they like, just because you think you're smarter than everyone else doesn't mean that you are.

Perhaps you should also stop making assumptions and asking silly questions (e.g. what change will a protest have!?). It's a bit hypocritical to call people uneducated when you seem to be having huge difficulty understanding what a democracy is or the whole premise of a protest.

It's also very unwise for a heavily educated person like yourself to assume that the 'vast majority of the population' agree with you.

• Advertisement

PBP went from 42k votes down to just under 40k IIRC, in the last two general elections (-5%)
    Solidarity went from 42k down to 12.7k (-70%)
    Paul Murphy went from 13.5k down to 12k (-13%)
    Total of 95.5k down to 65k in four years (-32%)
    Hardly qualifies as a rise in the far left, really, does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

We're in a thread about right wing extremism, where the IRISH Garda Commissioner falsely labelled the perpetrators of recent events IN IRELAND as left wing extremists. You said

Anybody with a reasonable grasp on the English language would infer that you were talking about left wing protests IN IRELAND and people of power IN IRELAND (such as the highest ranking Garda in the land) falsely labelling the perpetrators.

Any mix-up in how that post was interpreted is an issue for you.

The problem with you're saying about having a reasonable grasp on the English language is that I never limited what I said to this sole topic, you can read through my posts and see that, well I'm assuming you could seeing you appear to claim you have a reasonable grasp of the English language.

If you wish to appropriate what I'm saying in a manner that only suits you that's fine, I'm telling you that you are wrong to make that assumption, as this topic relates to other similar topics you may going forward assume that I am not speaking about this topic in isolation.

Also the "reasonable grasp of the English language" stuff is childish nonsense which is below the standard of discussion we should be aiming for. You misinterpreted what I said, I tried to explain that you'd taken it up wrong and you became abusive. If you want to continue this bickering PM me.

Glazers Out!

Akesh wrote: »

You need to accept that this is a democracy and not a dictatorship. People can protest if they like, just because you think you're smarter than everyone else doesn't mean that you are.

Perhaps you should also stop making assumptions and asking silly questions (e.g. what change will a protest have!?). It's a bit hypocritical to call people uneducated when you seem to be having huge difficulty understanding what a democracy is or the whole premise of a protest.

It's also very unwise for a heavily educated person like yourself to assume that the 'vast majority of the population' agree with you.

I have not once said that they can not protest , so I'm not sure why you think i do not understand democracy ?

There are many things people are allowed do and do that are also stupid and make little to no sense,

I also do not think I'm smarter than everyone else just the vast majority of people who turned up for such ill advised protest ,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,479 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

This isn't proof or whatever, but I work with a clean room mask all the time, but can't actually use the cloth ones..

5 minutes after putting it on I can feel it in my lungs and have trouble breathing..

I used to work in a cleanroom with a beard mask and a suit with a mask over that. The masks I don't like are the full breathers for work with HF. I'd rather not have to ever wear one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Most of these people attending this demonstration was going to demonstrate about lockdown masks etc.

Myself would not agree with what they was demonstrating about.

Some of these who are being called right and left wing in fact they are neither, they should be called trouble makers.
    They went there to cause trouble and some only went with the intention of having a fight.

°°°°°

all of those views in one single party? And if there is such a party what percentage vote does it get?.

To address this question with factual information as opposed to pearl clutching scare mongering opinion, the only political party that qualifies as far right in Ireland is the National Party, in last years general election they received 4773 votes in total which was 0.2% of total ballots cast in that election.

Hardly AfD type numbers by any stretch of the imagination.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Howard Beale

Why is a protest that had gay/lesbian/black/asian/Eastern European and everything in between regarding colour and nationality protesting against tyranny called far right?

It's amazing how illogical most people are. I see those that kneejerk refer to anti lockdown protests as total illiterate morons. It's the TOTAL OPPOSITE.

They are protesting against fascism not for it!

Tis the ould loola insane left want 0 covid ie permanent lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

nullzero wrote: »
    To address this question with factual information as opposed to pearl clutching scare mongering opinion, the only political party that qualifies as far right in Ireland is the National Party, in last years general election they received 4773 votes in total which was 0.2% of total ballots cast in that election.

Hardly AfD type numbers by any stretch of the imagination.

True so we should aim to crush them now before becoming problematic.

°°°°°

dan1895 wrote: »

How do you stop people being bigots?

Their election results were them being crushed. Would you like to see internment for anyone with questionable beliefs? Where do we draw the line and still remain a Democratic society?

Nobody takes these people seriously to begin with.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Akesh wrote: »

You are correct, this is a democracy, but I don't think you understand the type of representative democracy that we have where the people vote every once in a while to elect politicians to do their job.

It is not government by the mob in the street, or government by protest. People are entitled to protest, but everyone else is entitled not to have their lives turned upside down by a tiny minority who protest.

Most protests in Ireland are deeply undemocratic, in that they are designed not as protest but to cause disruption to the majority by a tiny minority. The ballot box is where our democracy is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Folks throwing around Right-wing, Left-wing, Far-right, Far-left and in reality haven't the first clue what they're even talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,479 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Why is a protest that had gay/lesbian/black/asian/Eastern European and everything in between regarding colour and nationality protesting against tyranny called far right?

It's amazing how illogical most people are. I see those that kneejerk refer to anti lockdown protests as total illiterate morons. It's the TOTAL OPPOSITE.

They are protesting against fascism not for it!

Tis the ould loola insane left want 0 covid ie permanent lockdowns.

It used to be that the leadership had to unjustly murder a few too many peasants to be considered tyrants. The bar has dropped considerably.

If everyone put a bit of cloth over their mouth and stayed a few feet apart we wouldn't have lockdowns. How ****ing soft are we becoming that people can't manage that much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

What do you mean by 'crush'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

We were doing some YouTube clip digging on the Gardai thread on Saturday night and we were forward and back on Rocket Launcher Guy being this scumbag

The Irish Times are now reporting it was indeed him

He's Jake Merriman and he has previous

https://twitter.com/ContemporaryIr1/status/1365959190339063808

https://twitter.com/Salvato50758259/status/1365979272486285312

dontmindme wrote: »
    Folks throwing around Right-wing, Left-wing, Far-right, Far-left and in reality haven't the first clue what they're even talking about.

Most people at the march when asked if they where right or left wing couldn't decide between Beckham or Giggs .

How do you stop people being bigots?

Their election results were them being crushed. Would you like to see internment for anyone with questionable beliefs? Where do we draw the line and still remain a Democratic society?

Nobody takes these people seriously to begin with.

Well Justin Barrett has at least one fanboy in this thread.
    They just need to be continually called out on the ****e they spout.

°°°°°

Well Justin Barrett has at least one fanboy in this thread.
    They just need to be continually called out on the ****e they spout.

That's already happening.

What other apparatus do we use to "crush" these people?

Glazers Out!

What do you mean by 'crush'?

You'll be disappointed to learn that I don't mean it literally.

That's already happening.

What other apparatus do we use to "crush" these people?

We keep doing until they disband and f**k off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Quags

We keep doing until they disband and f**k off.

Should do the same for FF/FG

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement