Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right wing extremist group behind Dublin Protest say Gardai

Options

Comments

No, multiple parties and movements and public personae who are at the forefront of the 'far-right' movement in Ireland. I'm sure there are some who ascribe to them all. As for how many votes they got, I can tell you it was more than the previous election. I'd classify that as a "rise in the far-right", wouldn't you?

You haven’t really updated my knowledge here. I don’t even know the name of the far right party that holds all of those views. I’m sure that some people hold some of them but were they at the protest.
    What? How is it off-topic? It was in direct response to a point that was made about the "far-left"...........the same "far-left" that were falsely blamed for the actions of their counterparts on the "far-right" by the most eminent law enforcement officer in the land, and which is the title of the thread. How in the name of Christ is that off topic?

Because the thread title now says nothing about the far left. And very few people are arguing that the far left were involved anymore. Of course there are always segues in debates but how useful or not they are is open to debate.

You seem to want to turn this debate into a debate about whether the far left or far right exist but your original post, yet to be confirmed, said all the protestors were far right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

dan1895 wrote: »
    You'll be disappointed to learn that I don't mean it literally.

I am aware you do not mean it literally, which is why I asked the question as to what you actually mean. Crush can be interpreted in various ways, so I'm asking for clarification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

blanch152 wrote: »
    You are correct, this is a democracy, but I don't think you understand the type of representative democracy that we have where the people vote every once in a while to elect politicians to do their job.

It is not government by the mob in the street, or government by protest. People are entitled to protest, but everyone else is entitled not to have their lives turned upside down by a tiny minority who protest.

Most protests in Ireland are deeply undemocratic, in that they are designed not as protest but to cause disruption to the majority by a tiny minority. The ballot box is where our democracy is.

It's hyperbolic to suggest that: "everyone else is entitled not to have their lives turned upside down by a tiny minority who protest". What has turned people's lives upside down is the pandemic and the government's response to the pandemic, not protests.

I know you have great difficulty criticising anything to do with Fine Gael so criticism of the government must be very difficult for you to accept.

I'm well aware of what a representative democracy is but to make decisions of this ilk without consulting the public is thoroughly undemocratic by nature and I hope people realise that this system is ignoring and failing the people, while this government goes from crisis-to-crisis. Ireland is in dire need of direct democracy to stop Leo and his ilk deciding what is for the greater good from their ivory towers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    We were doing some YouTube clip digging on the Gardai thread on Saturday night and we were forward and back on Rocket Launcher Guy being this scumbag

The Irish Times are now reporting it was indeed him

He's Jake Merriman and he has previous

https://twitter.com/ContemporaryIr1/status/1365959190339063808

https://twitter.com/Salvato50758259/status/1365979272486285312

Someone by that name has search results for a minor drug offence as well as an assault. Good skanger stock by the looks of it, and going by his conduct in the above video he certainly fits the discription of a skanger there for the badness of it all.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

dan1895 wrote: »
    We keep doing until they disband and f**k off.

And then we can all live in a eutopia with rainbow slides and unicorns blahdy blah.

Part of living in a free society is living with and dealing with people you disagree with.

What you're outlining above is never going to happen, so why have it as a goal when anyone with a shred of intelligence knows that stupidity will always exist?

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭DerekC16

I am aware you do not mean it literally, which is why I asked the question as to what you actually mean. Crush can be interpreted in various ways, so I'm asking for clarification.

Crush as in moan on twitter and other social media sites about the fash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Quags wrote: »
    Should do the same for FF/FG

If you like but they're not extremist parties as much as I loath them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    We were doing some YouTube clip digging on the Gardai thread on Saturday night and we were forward and back on Rocket Launcher Guy being this scumbag

The Irish Times are now reporting it was indeed him

He's Jake Merriman and he has previous

I cannot find it online. Do you have a link?

Someone nabbed by Garda but I don't think it's him.
    image.jpg

Actually it's a different guy.
    This new guy can be seen at 0.20 in this video. Looks drunk the way he walks.

Irish Antifa is very pro polis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,330 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Irish Antifa is very pro polis.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

It wasn't. Tons of immigrants and few muslims at it as well. They aren't exactly for lockdown either, why you think they are going to the mosques during this? Is that supporting lockdown? Come on!

It sounds like a United colours of Benetton ad, the way you describe it.

I also wouldn’t use polish or Hungarian as an example of left wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

nullzero wrote: »
    They tend to react the way left leaning people do in relation to left wing protests. Both groups are a scourge, I assume you distance yourself from both?

Anything violent, yes.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

biko wrote: »
    I cannot find it online. Do you have a link?

Someone nabbed by Garda but I don't think it's him.
    image.jpg

It was

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Seems to be a lot of whataboutery coming from posters on here as a way to excuse, or to deflect from, the far-right rioting that went on at the weekend.

Coming across as quite desperate and, more than a little, embarrassing.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Seems to be a lot of whataboutery coming from posters on here as a way to excuse, or to deflect from, the far-right rioting that went on at the weekend.

I think the argument is that it’s not proven that it was all or even mostly right wing. Or far right. Your post is of the logical fallacy begging the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The best I saw was the posts doing the rounds of a guard with a firework in his hand with the explanation "See? It was the Guards who were firing fireworks at each other".

Embarrassing!

You haven’t really updated my knowledge here. I don’t even know the name of the far right party that holds all of those views. I’m sure that some people hold some of them but were they at the protest.

You never actually asked what the name of any of the parties were. You just asked if it was all in the one party. For reference, see Justin Barrett and The National Party (whose name and logo is based on the pro-apartheid National Party of South Africa).
    Because the thread title now says nothing about the far left. And very few people are arguing that the far left were involved anymore. Of course there are always segues in debates but how useful or not they are is open to debate.

The thread title refers to right wing extremism in Ireland. Some poster opined that we actually need to stop the rise of the far left, and I responded. That is as on-topic as you can get, I'm afraid.
    You seem to want to turn this debate into a debate about whether the far left or far right exist but your original post, yet to be confirmed, said all the protestors were far right.

Oh, I do, do I? That's your reading of my stance then you're sorely misaken. And I said that in my original post? I presume you're willing to provide a link to where I said that or you'll withdraw that comment, yes?

I doubt the (clearly) inner-city scumbag launching the fireworks was there for political reasons. They're just there to cause trouble amongst a crowd.

It's like the genuine/peaceful BLM protesters in the States having the Antifa nutjobs turn-up at their protest, solely to cause trouble. Wrongly smears the entire event.

nullzero wrote: »
    The problem with you're saying about having a reasonable grasp on the English language is that I never limited what I said to this sole topic, you can read through my posts and see that, well I'm assuming you could seeing you appear to claim you have a reasonable grasp of the English language.

If you wish to appropriate what I'm saying in a manner that only suits you that's fine, I'm telling you that you are wrong to make that assumption, as this topic relates to other similar topics you may going forward assume that I am not speaking about this topic in isolation.

Also the "reasonable grasp of the English language" stuff is childish nonsense which is below the standard of discussion we should be aiming for. You misinterpreted what I said, I tried to explain that you'd taken it up wrong and you became abusive. If you want to continue this bickering PM me.

Lol....abusive. And I thought it was the lefties who were snowflakes :)

One can only form an opinion about your thought process based on your posts in this thread alone. If you expect people to go chasing your posts to form some sort of nuanced opinion on your standpoint, you're gonna be sorely disappointed I'm afraid.

You made a claim. That claim was in response to post regarding a situation here, in Ireland. You didn't point out within that claim that you were talking about the overall global situation, and not just Ireland. Now that you've been called on the falsehoods in that claim, you're blaming others for the fact that your posts were misconstrued.

Who's fault is that? The person who thought you were talking about Ireland? Or the person who didn't clarify that they weren't talking about just Ireland?

You never actually asked what the name of any of the parties were. You just asked if it was all in the one party. For reference, see Justin Barrett and The National Party (whose name and logo is based on the pro-apartheid National Party of South Africa).

Ok. So this protest was entirely organised by the NP?
    Actual far right protests, which I have actually protested against in London for instance, look quite different.
    The thread title refers to right wing extremism in Ireland. Some poster opined that we actually need to stop the rise of the far left, and I responded. That is as on-topic as you can get, I'm afraid.

This thread is definitely not about the rise of the relatively tiny far right in Ireland. It’s about the protest.
    Oh, I do, do I? That's your reading of my stance then you're sorely misaken. And I said that in my original post? I presume you're willing to provide a link to where I said that or you'll withdraw that comment, yes?

You are right. You didn’t specifically say the protest was entirely far right which makes your segue into the NP and other far right parties of even less relevance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Akesh wrote: »
    It's hyperbolic to suggest that: "everyone else is entitled not to have their lives turned upside down by a tiny minority who protest". What has turned people's lives upside down is the pandemic and the government's response to the pandemic, not protests.

I know you have great difficulty criticising anything to do with Fine Gael so criticism of the government must be very difficult for you to accept.

I'm well aware of what a representative democracy is but to make decisions of this ilk without consulting the public is thoroughly undemocratic by nature and I hope people realise that this system is ignoring and failing the people, while this government goes from crisis-to-crisis. Ireland is in dire need of direct democracy to stop Leo and his ilk deciding what is for the greater good from their ivory towers.

You misunderstood my post. There were people living within 5km of central Dublin who wanted to enjoy a pleasant walk in St. Stephen's Green but were denied their rights by the minority idiotic posters.

We have a democracy and we will empower our security forces to defend that democracy from the minority of thuggish mob protestors.

Par for the course, and a sad indictment of the state of political discourse this side of the water since Trump rose to power. It has become the norm to point the finger at others and say "but, but but.......THEY do it as well, so why are you giving out about it when I do it....It's not fair!".

Even if the two sides are at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of what they want to be achieved and the actions they use to achieve those goals. It's quite frightening to see the false dichotomy at play.

I mean, the crazies on the left want you to accept trans people in society and provide toilets for them, or to ensure everyone has access to housing and medical care. The crazies on the right......checks notes......livestream themselves running through a mosque with an assault rifle, shooting muslims as they pray.

"Both sides are the same" though, yeah?

Fcuk outta here.

"Both sides are the same" though, yeah?

Fcuk outta here.

Extremists on both sides are dangerous loons. Right wing extremists, Antifa weirdos... all as bad as each other.

Anyone who cannot see this, including yourself, are obviously biased towards a particular side.

Ok. So this protest was entirely organised by the NP? Nope, never said that. You're inventing stuff.
    Actual far right protests, which I have actually protested against in London for instance, look quite different. Cool story bro. Nothing to do with what I said though

This thread is definitely not about the rise of the relatively tiny far right in Ireland. It’s about the protest. I never claimed it was about the far right rise in Ireland. More invention.

You are right. You didn’t specifically say the protest was entirely far right which makes your segue into the NP and other far right parties of even less relevance. I take it you won't be withdrawing your allegations bout what I said then? Cool, just be aware that it says more about you than it does me. For the last time, someone said we need to worry about the rise of the far left. I provided examples of what the far right are publicly saying, as a counterpoint to prove that this "rise of the far left" is nothing to worry about

You are misquoting me and inferring some amount of sh1te that I'm not actually saying. This is the last time I'll be replying to your nonsense on this thread.

Have a nice evening.

Extremists on both sides are dangerous loons. Right wing extremists, Antifa weirdos... all as bad as each other.

Anyone who cannot see this, including yourself, are obviously biased towards a particular side.

How many people have been killed by left wing nutters in recent years?
    How many people have been killed by right wing nutters in recent years?

Tell me again how they're both equally dangerous again?

100 million..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

How many people have been killed by right wing nutters in recent years?

Tell me again how they're both equally dangerous again?

How many people have been killed by China in recent years?

Quite a lot I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Bambi wrote: »

Quite a lot I'd imagine.

They're not left wing for some reason :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Bambi wrote: »

Quite a lot I'd imagine.

What on Earth has China got to do with angry far-right lads rioting in Dublin City and, potentially, endangering the lives of law abiding Irish citizens?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

What on Earth has China got to do with angry far-right lads rioting in Dublin City and, potentially, endangering the lives of law abiding Irish citizens?

The question was asked about angry far-left lads so the example was given of China and the few concentration camps they have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement