Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right wing extremist group behind Dublin Protest say Gardai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Invidious wrote: »
    I'd love to know Tighe's methodology for producing what looks to me like a wildly overinflated estimate.

The National Party received 4,773 first-preference votes in last year's elections. Only a minority of those voters could legitimately be classified as "far right," since the National Party also represents other interests (e.g., conservative Catholics, Euroskeptics, and others).

An estimated 300 people attended the anti-lockdown protest. Again, not all of those could be classified as "far right," by any means.

And yet we're expected to believe that over 100,000 people support the far right in Ireland? That stretches all credibility.

It certainly does not - if you reclassify everyone right of centre as far right.

I suppose I better just believe the story. The media never lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

mariaalice wrote: »
    You are mixing up republicism with nationalism, nationalism is a different set of ideas.

Sinn Fein are not republicans. They don't understand what a republic is.

They are toxic exclusionary nationalists, which can be left-wing or right-wing.

Do right wingers not know they’re right wingers? It’s the same when a racist on here gets “called out” on their racism and they start screaming blue murder demanding mods take action.

There is a difference between being right wing and far right.

Small government and low taxes is what I am about. Am I an extremist?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It might be modern politics and society as well.

There is a short film of Éamon de Valera giving a speech very late in his life possibly in the 1960s and he says I love my country I love Ireland.

If a politician did that today he or she would have to implicitly clarify what they meant something along the lines of, they are a wooly jumper wearing, trad music, we should all be speaking Irish love their country type not one of the anti-immigrant racists, loons, love their country type.

It's because cultural discourses of nationalism have been hijacked by the loons means they have to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

So the fellow charged over the firework is from posh Monkstown and has a posh name, a dentist and his son were among those arrested. Shows up the assumptions from the reich wing here (posters were saying they are all working class, scobies, etc) as bigotted offensive nonsense.

Ok, granted, he's not from the posh part of Monkstown and looks like he has 'previous'.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/herald/news/courts/man-with-cigarette-objected-to-drug-search-29386386.html

• Advertisement

Why would you think that would make you radical?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

No, you're a centre right neo-liberal. I disagree with you but you're certainly not fair right.

In this country we already have low taxes on income and corporations. Taxes on corporations should be significantly increased. VAT should be significantly reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DavidJC

tdf7187 wrote: »
    So the fellow charged over the firework is from posh Monkstown and has a posh name, a dentist and his son were among those arrested. Shows up the assumptions from the reich wing here (posters were saying they are all working class, scobies, etc) as bigotted offensive nonsense.
    Monkstown Farm is far from posh.

No, you're a centre right neo-liberal. I disagree with you but you're certainly not fair right.

In this country we already have low taxes on income and corporations. Taxes on corporations should be significantly increased. VAT should be significantly reduced.

Low taxes on income? You are joking right?

That is actually a good point there is a big scobie element in it but others as well.

• Advertisement

DavidJC wrote: »
    Monkstown Farm is far from posh.

Shush - just say right wing people are stupid - discourages the crowd for going along.

Sinn Fein are a great bunch of lads with great policies. They'll drive out all the jobs and we'll all be equally poor. If it doesn't work maybe they need to ring their pals in Libya or South America for help or blame it in the british,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Quantum Baloney

Do right wingers not know they’re right wingers?

Well in fairness, its because being "right-wing" is so commonly portrayed as meaning something nasty and bad, and people do not typically see themselves as being motivated by nastiness. If the discussion was more mature then you would have less people hiding on the wings or fooling themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

Part of the strategy here is to get the public to accept "right wing," "conservative," and "far right" as synonyms — so that anyone who dares to hold non-leftist beliefs can be tarred with the far-right extremist brush.

So yes, if you're for small government and low taxes, you might as well be goose-stepping up and down the street giving Nazi salutes and shouting "Heil Hitler" — at least in the fevered imaginations of some.

Why would you think that would make you radical?

I was just accused in a different thread of being far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

On Prime Time last night, John McGuirk mentioned the inconsistency between the coverage of last Saturday's protest and the coverage of the BLM protests that took place after the death of George Nkencho, i.e. the failure of RTÉ to mention the riots that took place in Blanchardstown after Mr Nkencho's death.

Given that no charges have been brought yet in relation to Mr Nkencho's death, what is the reason for that inconsistency? It cannot be the principle of sub judice due to no charges yet brought. Furthermore, the inquest is also a long period of time away from taking place.

Is RTÉ suppressing viewers' awareness of the Blanchardstown riots? Has anyone complained to RTÉ about this issue?

I was just accused in a different thread of being far right.

It is a right-wing position and set of beliefs associated with the right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_government

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ok, granted, he's not from the posh part of Monkstown and looks like he has 'previous'.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/herald/news/courts/man-with-cigarette-objected-to-drug-search-29386386.html

Dunno who made the assumption that right wingers are all working class, the most vocal around the world are often the opposite, just look at the UK (the Tory party) and the US .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

On Prime Time last night, John McGuirk mentioned the inconsistency between the coverage of last Saturday's protest and the coverage of the BLM protests that took place after the death of George Nkencho, i.e. the failure of RTÉ to mention the riots that took place in Blanchardstown after Mr Nkencho's death.

Given that no charges have been brought yet in relation to Mr Nkencho's death, what is the reason for that inconsistency? It cannot be the principle of sub judice due to no charges yet brought. Furthermore, the inquest is also a long period of time away from taking place.

Is RTÉ suppressing viewers' awareness of the Blanchardstown riots? Has anyone complained to RTÉ about this issue?

The main problem was that McGuirk was actually given time on RTE, not what he said.

It is a right-wing position and set of beliefs associated with the right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_government

Why are you conflating right and far right?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭rightmove

I wouldnt have a problem if the wokie's had to pay for this but we all have too. rte need to understand that "truth matters"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Hurrache wrote: »
    The main problem was that McGuirk was actually given time on RTE, not what he said.

So you don't think that RTÉ's failure to mention the Blanchardstown riots is important?

Dunno who made the assumption that right wingers are all working class, the most vocal around the world are often the opposite, just look at the UK (the Tory party) and the US .

Again with the conflation. The conservatives are not far right.

Hitler and Mussolini are far right. No matter how many times one hysterically shouts "fascist" I'll never be convinced that Boris is a fascist.

rightmove wrote: »
    I wouldnt have a problem if the wokie's had to pay for this but we all have too. rte need to understand that "truth matters"

I find RT is quite good actually. They report on stories western media wouldn't touch. Keiser Report is excellent.

Why are you conflating right and far right?

I am not why would you think that? A right-wing position is a perfectly legitimate political set of beliefs.

To me, the far-right has a strong association with raceism and toxic love of your country combined with violence.

That is completely different from believing in small government and low taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭d161

Yes I was shocked to see RTE give time to a view which is contrary to the government position.
    Especially when you consider he has prior and has been on the wrong side in several referenda.
    Very disturbing!

I am not why would you think that? A right-wing position is a perfectly legitimate political set of beliefs.

To me, the far-right has a strong association with raceism and toxic love of your country combined with violence.

That is completely different from believing in small government and low taxes.

Sorry - I thought you were arguing that I am far right because I believe in small government. :pac:

d161 wrote: »
    Yes I was shocked to see RTE give time to a view which is contrary to the government position.
    Especially when you consider he has prior and has been on the wrong side in several referenda.
    Very disturbing!

Pat Kenny will make sure everyone gets the truth. Pat's a serious journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

On Prime Time last night, John McGuirk mentioned the inconsistency between the coverage of last Saturday's protest and the coverage of the BLM protests that took place..........

Jaysus, here we go again!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭rightmove

I find RT.
    surprised you find anything until you get a pair of reading glasses

• Advertisement

rightmove wrote: »
    surprised you find anything until you get a pair of reading glasses

I was talking about russia today and suggested them as a source of alternative news. It wasn't a typo or a misreading of prior posts.;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement