Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right wing extremist group behind Dublin Protest say Gardai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

biko wrote: »
    But the firework was produced only after the blockade, not before.

I don’t think it appeared from thin air

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

There was a strong smell of cider and cannabis in the air
    That says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Maybe they should have had the protest under the guide of being a BLM demonstration and the gardai would have left them alone. I know 3 people that went to it and none are far- right as you're led to believe. They're just are sick and tired of this endless lockdown. I can't go 5 km outside of town , my son has no school and all he's gaa and football has been cancelled since before xmas and yet 110, 000 people passed through Dublin airport in the last month. Can someone explain to me where's the logic in that, The government have made an absolute mess of this and people have a pain in their arse with it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-response-almost-12-000-flew-into-dublin-airport-in-first-week-of-february-1.4479566

Department of Transport figures show that 110,930 passengers passed through Dublin Airport in January, 60 per cent of whom were travelling for non-essential purposes. Almost 64,000 people arrived in Dublin in the first 16 days of the month before proof of a negative PCR test – the standard test used to the detect the virus – was required.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

He's a vdeographer, apparently not a very good one as he only has a verbal account rather than...video. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,297 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Right wing left wing nonsense.

Just a crowd of toerags out to cause trouble...

Vast majority probably couldn’t even spell Covid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Its hilarious to read this thread at the same time as the Drew Harris with posters getting very excited to see Republicans or Right wingers blamed for it. Hopefully most us don't care which scumbags are responsible as long as some of them are put away and the rest can't do it again.

Mental take from the Justice Minister.
    This is Trumpian.

https://twitter.com/McConnellDaniel/status/1366013343614525445?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Maybe they should have had the protest under the guide of being a BLM demonstration and the gardai would have left them alone. I know 3 people that went to it and none are far- right as you're led to believe. They're just are sick and tired of this endless lockdown. I can't go 5 km outside of town , my son has no school and all he's gaa and football has been cancelled since before xmas and yet 110, 000 people passed through Dublin airport in the last month. Can someone explain to me where's the logic in that, The government have made an absolute mess of this and people have a pain in their arse with it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-response-almost-12-000-flew-into-dublin-airport-in-first-week-of-february-1.4479566

Department of Transport figures show that 110,930 passengers passed through Dublin Airport in January, 60 per cent of whom were travelling for non-essential purposes. Almost 64,000 people arrived in Dublin in the first 16 days of the month before proof of a negative PCR test – the standard test used to the detect the virus – was required.

They are using the actions of the few thugs to tar and feather all of the protestors.
    Paint everyone who attended to be a criminal or scumbag. Keep the government line going. Anyone who disagrees must be "far right "

Boom it out across the airwaves and print media. Interview politicians and police. Make it an us v them situation.

Wasnt a peep during blm protests.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Zatoichi wrote: »
    That says it all really.

Really? People were not only drinking cider, but so much cider that you could actually smell it in the air? Does that sound true or is it a not-so-subtle classist smear?

sabat wrote: »
    Really? People were not only drinking cider, but so much cider that you could actually smell it in the air? Does that sound true or is it a not-so-subtle classist smear?

I'd say it's more likely they were throwing half empty bottles of it, or just enough left over to cause the stench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There was a strong smell of cider and cannabis in the air
    That says it all really.
    That English West Country hippies have arrived? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

They are using the actions of the few thugs to tar and feather all of the protestors.
    Paint everyone who attended to be a criminal or scumbag. Keep the government line going. Anyone who disagrees must be "far right "

Boom it out across the airwaves and print media. Interview politicians and police. Make it an us v them situation.

Wasnt a peep during blm protests.

Ye the gardai didn't seem to keen to arrest anyone when they were stopping traffic and beating people up or when shoppers had to barricade themselves in a shop while the protesters were shouting " white bastards " at the people inside . Strange that

But the firework was produced only after the blockade, not before.

By public amenities, do you mean the park? Why didn't Gard just close the park then? There are gates.

No, there were more than the one firework being let off.
    The park was closed

That English West Country hippies have arrived? :D

You go where the folk music brings you.

4nVbw4zz

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0228/1199831-dublin-protests/

Previously connected to far-left groups but we received alot of complaints from twitter so they're far-right now. On ya go.

They are actually saying they were far left who have now moved to the far right?

What utter scutter. In other words it was a mix of nutters from all positions with various levels of paranoia, conspiracies and just wanted an excuse to be violent and cause damage like the malcontents live for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Leo calling it what it was, a riot.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40235042.html

“The violence on the streets of Dublin on Saturday was “not a protest, it was a riot” according to Tánaiste Leo Varadkar. In the Sunday Times, some protestors in Dublin yesterday were asked why they were protesting or how it was linked to RTÉ, the state broadcaster.
    Those quoted outlined a conspiracy theory that involved babies being killed and harvested for “adrenochrome” which is used to keep RTE celebrities “looking young” while the corpses are buried under the new children’s hospital.
    The two claimed the government were “basically paedophiles” and that there were videos explaining this on a website known for hosting far-right speakers and conspiracy theories.
    Mr Varadkar said such commentary was “bonkers” and similar to the kind of conspiracy theories heard from far-right supporters in the United States.
    He said social media platforms should take down or stop messaging which promotes extreme or illegal activity.”

He's an opportunist.
    He'll abuse mother and baby home survivors on the one hand and pretend to be outraged about a protest on the other. The man is a dishonest chancer.
    Another case of the right trying to close down and demonise the public who protest.
    We must respect protesters even when we disagree.
    Any law breakers need to be arrested of course.
    Varadkar needs to know his place, a public representative not a self interested mouth piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I thought it was a largely peaceful protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

If you want things to go back to normal you're a 'right wing extremist'

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If it was a riot it was the lamest most half assed riot ever caught on camera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

If it was a riot it was the lamest most half assed riot ever caught on camera

They called the water protesters 'ISIS' ffs...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 301 ✭✭Whatisthisnow

That says it all really.

There's always a smell of canabis in the city centre. The Govt, courts and council are the reason for all junkies n scumbags roaming the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I thought it was a largely peaceful protest?

Yeah. Apart from all the abuse thrown at the Gardai, Apart from all the bottles and other missiles thrown at the gardai, apart from a Gardas ankle being broken, apart from a Garda having a damaged eardrum, apart from a Garda being thrown off a horse, apart from fireworks being thrown at Gardai, apart from 23 people arrested.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Parachutes wrote: »
    If you want things to go back to normal you're a 'right wing extremist'

Everybody wants things to go back to normal 🙄

Yeah. Apart from all the abuse thrown at the Gardai, Apart from all the bottles and other missiles thrown at the gardai, apart from a Gardas ankle being broken, apart from a Garda having a damaged eardrum, apart from a Garda being thrown off a horse, apart from fireworks being thrown at Gardai, apart from 23 people arrested.

You clearly missed the sarcasm. The term ‘largely peaceful protest’ has regularly been used to describe BLM protests that included rioting and looting.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

You clearly missed the sarcasm. The term ‘largely peaceful protest’ has regularly been used to describe BLM protests that included rioting and looting.

Joey misses a lot when it suits tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It was appalling stuff and should rightly be condemned.

Now if we can all remember this next time a left wing group does the same thing we might just be learning something.

Glazers Out!

By public amenities, do you mean the park? Why didn't Gard just close the park then? There are gates.

There are indeed, so what? None of that changes that the protest happened did it not? And that Gardai and the council can curtail public access to locations when needs be in the interests of public safety for one.

'Gardai' or 'Guards' please. I know its a minor issue but I cant stant this weird hybrid 'Gard' that people use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Maybe I've missed something in the articles but have anyone expressed why Garda stopped the demonstration?
    Usually demonstrations don't need a permit in Ireland.

Strange alright usually they go to keep the peace between the Antifa)Lefty/NGO boys trying to get at the protesters. Was there intelligence that far left groups were going to turn up thus the statement by.Harris?

They called the water protesters 'ISIS' ffs...

Who is ‘they’ exactly?

A single FG backbench TD who subsequently retracted the statement a day later?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Would I be right in saying that:

- There were no arrests in Blanch at New Year's, Gardai effectively stood down

- Not a single minister or perhaps a TD full stop issued a strong condemnation of neither the violence nor the breaching of Covid gathering rules (I believe Leo issued a statement that was about as harsh as Dougal saying "careful now!"), yet today Leo, Harris, McEntee, MLMCD, MM have all thrown in their fivers worth

- that to date nobody has been retroactively arrested for the US Embassy protests, despite the names of the organisers being common knowledge

Whether you agreed with yesterday's protest or not, Ireland is now a two tiered state when it comes to enforcing the law.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement