Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right wing extremist group behind Dublin Protest say Gardai

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We also know from the SCIENCE that wearing masks for prolonged periods of time can result in respiratory issues, especially in children.
    Provide a source or quit the scaremongering

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Have to say, it’s been great to see the overwhelmingly negative reaction, and condemnation, of this far-right “protest” and its rabble.

We’re so close to the end of these dark times, the last thing we need now is a super-spreader “event” delaying any chance of a summer re-opening.

Selfish people ruining it for the rest of us. Shameful carry on. Worrying too, especially when you hear all the “talk” from their anti-RTÉ/Late Late Show wing.

why is it so hard to believe that the vast majority of protestors had nothing to do with an organized " far right " or that the scrote who pegged the missile at the guard was a mere opportunist who had no affiliation with the " far right "

mindless scumbags could just as easily show up to cause trouble if fishermen were protesting on grafton st against EU policy re_ their industry

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    why is it so hard to believe that the vast majority of protestors had nothing to do with an organized " far right " or that the scrote who pegged the missile at the guard was a mere opportunist who had no affiliation with the " far right "

mindless scumbags could just as easily show up to cause trouble if fishermen were protesting on grafton st against EU policy re_ their industry

because theres tonnes of political points to be scored in pretending irelands far right is any more than a tiny number of people and theres a moral high horse to be sat upon from the left in claiming that they're the ones who are leading the charge on eradicating the virus in the hopes of gaining on FF / FG's inevitable downturn in the next election.

Beasty wrote: »
    Provide a source or quit the scaremongering

Well they have already proven that they can't count or at least aren't very good at judging the size of crowds, so wouldn't hold your breath on it, or being reputable if provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

because theres tonnes of political points to be scored in pretending irelands far right is any more than a tiny number of people and theres a moral high horse to be sat upon from the left in claiming that they're the ones who are leading the charge on eradicating the virus in the hopes of gaining on FF / FG's inevitable downturn in the next election.

yep , phoney wars costs very little and play ones cards right and there are benefits to be reaped

plenty of grifters out to make a solid career as " far right " hunters , brave soliders one and all

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,225 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Anti-establishment types who will have the paws out next week for the PUP or the labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Why are people so willing to defend the far right?

The is a massive problem in the western world with far right groups from the US to Canada. to Ireland to UK to mainland Europe to Australia/New Zealand.

These groups have been allowed to grow unhindered for years and spread their ideology via youtube, twitter, facebook and even national TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,037 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The law is an ass.

The garda had riot helmets on. No danger.

Iv no interest in the hyperbole

The Gardai were not wearing 'riot helmets' so that's a blatant lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Knacker scumbags behind it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

rossie1977 wrote: »

Because as much as they deny it, that's where their sympathies lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

These groups have been allowed to grow unhindered for years and spread their ideology via youtube, twitter, facebook and even national TV.

Having seen many clips I really doubt these little scumbags have an 'ideology',more like the 5km rule has made moving drugs around ireland a pain so anto and the boyz have plenty off time on their hands

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭DelaneysMule

The is a massive problem in the western world with far right groups from the US to Canada. to Ireland to UK to mainland Europe to Australia/New Zealand.

A widely used tactic of the far right is to try to make it look like they are "normal" and the far right is just a bunch of weird scummers, not them. The left are "traitors". They coordinate this kind of thing between them and you usually will see a group of "random" accounts on various sites seeming to agree and one up each other to try make it look like they are the norm. It's very very transparent once you realize what they are up to. They don't have any subtlety.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

A widely used tactic of the far right is to try to make it look like they are "normal" and the far right is just a bunch of weird scummers, not them. The left are "traitors". They coordinate this kind of thing between them and you usually will see a group of "random" accounts on various sites seeming to agree and one up each other to try make it look like they are the norm. It's very very transparent once you realize what they are up to. They don't have any subtlety.

That's some extremely odd paranoid conspiratorial thinking.

The far right exists in Ireland but it's a tiny minority, something which demonstrable through factual evidence.

Scumbags who are happy to involve themselves in protests on either side of the political divide also exist, albeit in larger numbers than actual right wing activists and they're always happy to show up to help cause trouble at events such as this weekend or say the Jobstown water protests.

The systemic coordination of far right groups popping up online to propagate their ideas on sites such as this is on the surface far fetched and in your case (a member of this site for a whole day) a little rich.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,346 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The annoying thing lately is seeing people video in hospitals and videoing nurses and Doctors usually at their job by areas they work. But because they are not flat out sweating it proves that this is all a hoax.

Do these idiots not realise that most people who are being treated for Covid in hospitals are in special rooms and the ICU department. They ain’t going just show these people to the world. They are critical. It ain’t going to be a show for people who walk around a hospital.

Any person who videos inside a hospital should be prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,479 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

We also know from the SCIENCE that wearing masks for prolonged periods of time can result in respiratory issues, especially in children.

Someone needs to tell all the people who work all week with masks on! :rolleyes:
    kowloon wrote: »
    This is why I think the right-left spectrum is bull****. It's people calling themselves right-wing who are talking about freedom of speech so much lately and Trump supporters are protesting masks in the States.

Of course, that's what happens when you try to turn all of human discourse into a sport.

kowloon wrote: »
    Someone needs to tell all the people who work all week with masks on! :rolleyes:

This isn't proof or whatever, but I work with a clean room mask all the time, but can't actually use the cloth ones..

5 minutes after putting it on I can feel it in my lungs and have trouble breathing..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I am not defending them.

They seem much smaller in number than the far-left?

All I ask is that equal attention is paid to far-left extremists.

There are 13 far-left TDs, there are zero far-right TDs, AFAIK.

I'm sure there are dozens of far-left councillors, are there are far-right councillors??

Far-left politicians have power, and are on TV/radio every week

• Registered Users Posts: 15,037 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

This isn't proof or whatever, but I work with a clean room mask all the time, but can't actually use the cloth ones..

5 minutes after putting it on I can feel it in my lungs and have trouble breathing..

You should see a doctor. There are people with COPD wearing them and having no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Joey misses a lot when it suits tbh

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's interesting that you know something of a posters style considering that you only joined the site in July last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

What a sad world we live in.

Essentially it seems to boil down to an attitude of comply or be vilified. Its okay to have have an opinion but make sure your opinion fits the consensus.

We say we care about inequality but God forbid anyone protest against neverending perceptual lockdowns which forecasts have shown will exasperate inequality in Europe and the Row. But sure we can just kick that can down the road. Its not like negative economic outcomes ever led to wars or anything.

Talk about mental health and the importance of "just talking" but then relegate it to a sideshow in the Covid debate. Someone aludrd to it above but we have to weigh up deaths against all the other negative externalities brought about by Covid restrictions. That at least has to be part of the discourse. At least pretend that there is some deliberation taking place with regards the measures being taken.

"Liberte, egalite , fraternity", a 200 year old framework for judging a just and fair society. Then some people decide to have a protest ONE YEAR into the most draconian measures we will ever face in our lives and people are flabbergasted that some people might choose to protest. It's bizarre. I'll say it again but if you judge the negative effects of Covid lockdowns as a serious health and societal issue(mental health, which isn't just feeling a bit blue, growing inequality, growing feeling of alienation, unknown experiments with the cognitive development of children in very important parts of their lives, limited unequal access to education, social unrest, etc.)

How many people would have been at the protest if they weren't scared to go against the grain or come across like a bit of an oddball? We all want to see ourselves as part of the fabric of society, if we go to those protests it's like confirmation that we are the losers or the outcasts which acts as huge impediment to protest. Eventually you'll break people. The respected class wanted schools back up and running and they got their wish. Once they're done to work from home without the hassle or child minding, everything is grand. Now it's time to tow official government policy. Lockdowns for however long it takes to get covid down to some abritarily low rate.

I know it's a difficult situation . I don't even know if we shouldn't have lockdowns. WHO have advised against them but they probably would have advised against the loosening of the laws here at Christmas. The facts were that things did get serious. We have 2 million and counting deaths throughout the world because of Covid(again whether they all died of Covid is another issue) but it does seem to be the third most deadly pandemic of all time. It's not nothing. However those who mostly die of Covid are of a certain demographic which would allow ud conceivably live with much less damaging restrictions while isolating those vulnerable. Again, it's what they are doing already so I don't see what is so controversial about that.

Everyone who is anti the mere thought that people might have issue with lockdowns; just thank your lucky stars that there is an end in sight and that the vaccine development was so rapid. Because you were saved from having to face your own sketchy morality. You can live with your simplistic "if we just save one life" mantra. Let's just hope the scarring of lockdowns is shallow. Like I genuinely hope it is. I'm optimistic that the vaccine rollout just began in the nick of time.

As for the protests, the old definition of left and right doesn't work anymore. The left has gone corporate I'd say the average left wing are more like the old right(pious, conformist, intolerant of difference) bit at same time they're not at all. And same for the right, they're like the old left except in all the ways they're not. Then again, this isn't unusual, the Soviet Union was the most conformist place, on the surface the least, that you could imagine. My interpreation of left and right is shaped through an American lens.

Sinn Fein gets a lot of people voting for them who are no more left than Joseph Goebells. They just have managed to diffuse the far right in this country and absorbed a lot of people who might have otherwise vote for such a party. It might be their most important role in Irish politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's interesting that you know something of a posters style considering that you only joined the site in July last year.
    Six months is plenty of time to get to know the place, shure I remember my first account here, didn't take that long at all to get to know the locals...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Cordell wrote: »
    It's a quite honest mistake to make given how similar far left and far right is, especially in their love of achieving their goals with violence.
    In fact antifa have more in common with the far right nazi they claim to be against than with the moderate left.

Correct and true, the only difference between a communist and a fascist is the hand they salute with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Correct and true, the only difference between a communist and a fascist is the hand they salute with.

How do you know a Communist from a Fascist. One is Russian, the other is German.

What I find odd is how many sections of society are so concerned that the far left aren't seen to be associated with this protest. The far left - ie people like Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot ? Dissident republican groups? In fact Drew Harris clarified that by far left he was referring to these, and he is correct - they are far left ideologically. Why are they so keen to defend the far left?

What I also find odd is that so few are willing to even consider that just MAYBE many people protesting have lost everything due to lockdowns, aren't far left, right or anything else, and on the duration and severity of them here, which is way out of whack with pretty much anywhere else they actually have a point ?

Violence is never ok at a protest, however there is a narrative being spun here.

Leo Varadkar referenced riots ... I've seen no evidence of this. I saw one scumbag firing a rocket at Gardai and reports but oddly no video of bottles etc being thrown at Gardai.

Simon Coveney has now said these protests aren't "legitimate" ... So only Government approved protests are legitimate now?

And Neale Richmond wants to ban all further protests.

The media have been talking about a far right problem and they may have a point - but they are looking in the wrong place. The far right they refer to is a tiny minority of reprehensible scumbags, just as the much larger far left is. The politicians above, this is how the real far right, or far left for that matter operate. They crush all dissent. Very worrying for democracy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

How do you know a Communist from a Fascist. One is Russian, the other is German.

?????

JJayoo wrote: »
    Knacker scumbags behind it

An apt description of the national party.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭DelaneysMule

The gardai have to do something about these organisers.

Fear as anti-lockdown riot possibly 'trial-run' for two huge future Dublin protests with more dates organised by group

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/lockdownprotests-irelandriots-stpatricksday-dublin-gardai-19936206
    The group behind Saturday's violent and dangerous protests are said to be planning another two bigger events which will take place in March.

The plans were understood to have been drawn up just hours after the destruction caused in the city centre which saw 23 arrested and three Gardai injured, one of whom was hospitalised.

Organisers of the gatherings are understood to be putting together plans for another protest on Paddy's Day and on March 20, three weeks after the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I like how thousands of people show up in the city centre to express their disappointment with lockdown laws yet all the media talk about is 'right wing extremists'.

There are legitimate concerns at play here. They need to be discussed.

The legitimate concerns can be discussed. The protests were organised and lead by far right extremists.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Because the protests was organised through groups on facebook and telegram that are far right extremist groups, because the National Party and Yellow Vests had heavy presences there as well as QAnon conspirators. There wasnt just 1 missile thrown at Gardai. The "Antifa plant" is old hat to be wheeled out at this stage.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

For those looking for evidence of bottles/missile throwing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement