Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep on Moving

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

LOL so you are good for dancing but not for running :) I'm expecting same from my physio this week. Usually he acknowledges that mobility and flexibility are not my issue. Its likely to be a strict do your strength exercises if you want to continue running type of homework :o

I find it bizarre that some folk can just run and run and never break down, despite the same movement and impact over and over :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Runningirl

LOL so you are good for dancing but not for running :) I'm expecting same from my physio this week. Usually he acknowledges that mobility and flexibility are not my issue. Its likely to be a strict do your strength exercises if you want to continue running type of homework :o

I find it bizarre that some folk can just run and run and never break down, despite the same movement and impact over and over :confused:

Haha yes... I just need to find a nightclub that’s open :pac::pac:

Why are we so bold when it comes to S&C?? Physios must hate dealing with runners!! I’ll follow a running plan to the T but I’ve always found it’s so hard to get motivated for strength exercises! But definitely as I’m getting older I can’t get away with it as much and I need to get into a routine and that’s more because I would dread the day someone tells me I couldn’t run anymore because of an injury I could have prevented :eek:

Week 1

Mon 24th
    8x600m @ goal 5k pace
    I usually run in the morning but because I did the long hill run the day before I decided to wait until the evening for this one. I’m not sure what my goal 5k pace is (I just know I want it to be faster than my last attempt!) so I set it up on my watch for 7:05-7:15. It was another windy day so my splits were a little too slow or a little too fast depending on the direction I was running but I felt my effort was on point for every rep which I was happy about... 7:28, 7:08, 7:23, 7:01, 7:16, 7:01, 7:19, 6:51

Tues 25th
    6miles easy
    My legs were tired for this, running the night before, the hill run on Sunday and doing my stability exercises everyday all added to it!

Wed 26th
    Rest

Thurs 27th
    25min tempo @ 8:05
    It was another breezy day and the birds were going nuts in the park which was freaking me out but I did love the run and I was able to keep my paces nice and even for once!!!

Fri 28th
    11 miles easy
    It was raining again but still kind of warm. I meet my friend for this and the miles zipped by so quick.

Sun 30th
    7mile hill run
    I went to Tribradden for this run. I got there early so there wasn’t many people around. It’s amazing how much the weather can change in a few days, it was such a fabulous morning

Total: 39miles

This was week of my first ever 5k plan! I had to amend it a little because I want to keep my long run on a Friday and a hill run on a Sunday which isn’t ideal but I’m hoping it will be ok. I did the session on Monday but I might swop it with my easy Tuesday run depending how tired I’m after the hill run (some weeks it might be longer or shorter) I want to keep my mileage in the 40+ range each week to so I’ll have to figure out something there, maybe add another easy run or do longer warm up & cool downs or maybe an extra few miles!
    Anyway I was happy how the first week went. I’d love a sub 22min 5k, I don’t think I’ll be able to do it this time but I’ll leave my goal pace for the sessions at 7:05-7:15 for the moment and see how I go!

Week 2
    Mon 31st
    12x200m @ mile pace
    To say I was dreading this is a complete understatement! I was letting everything and anything distract me from going to the park but I knew I’d regret if I didn’t get it done!
    I set the pace for 6:25-6:35. I wasn’t sure if I’d hit the pace or be able hold it for 12 reps but surprisingly I did... yay!!... for 11 of them, the 4th one was 6:50, but that’s ok, I was able to pull it back and get the rest on pace. I’m very happy with how it went.

Tues 1st June
    7 miles easy
    It was about 12 when I got out for this run and it was another breezy but hot hot day. I’d 2 highlights on this run.. the first was seeing a fellow runner in full winter gear including wooly hat and face mask while I was sweltering in my shorts & tee! And the 2nd was wearing my new sparkling white runners, they were nearly glowing they were so white! I was holding off wearing them until the weather got better and today was the day!!

Wed 2nd
    Rest

Thurs 3rd
    6x800m @ goal 5k pace
    What is it with the wind these days? It seems like everyday I run I’m battling it! Today was hard the wind was so blustery every which way I went. I got the first 4 splits just about on target range but I couldn’t hold the pace for the last 2, mentally and physically I was done!!
    I was beating myself up about it when I got home but then I realised it’s suppose to be hard, thats the whole point of it!! And maybe I cant hit my paces dead on but it all has to be beneficial!

Friday 4th
    14 miles easy
    I probably went a little overboard on distance but I really enjoyed the run.

Total: 37miles

I was so tired by the end of the week which I haven’t felt in a long time, my legs were done so I decided not to do the hill run on Sunday and did a hike with the kids instead which may have been just as exhausting!!! :)

Week 3
    Mon 7th

7miles easy @ 9:30

Tues 8th
    6x800m @5k pace, 200m rec
    This was the same session as last and it turned out more or less the same! The first 4 reps were fine and then I faded for the last 2

Weds 9th
    Rest

Thurs 10th
    50mins with 25min tempo
    This was a good run, my tempo pace averaged out at 8:03min/mile. I swallowed a fly in the third mile

Fri 11th[/B]
    12miles easy @ 9:49
    Friday is the only run I have company for and I really look forward to it every week

Sat 12th
    6miles easy @ 9:31
    Lovely morning, it was nice to get out early

Total:40.5 miles

Week 4
    Monday 14th
    10x300m @3k pace, 100m rec
    I didn’t know how this would turn out but I really enjoyed it, I was a little slow for a few but I’m blaming that on the wind again! I was happy my effort was consistent!

Tues 15th
    5miles easy @ 9:46

Weds 16th
    50mins w/ 10x 10sec hill sprints

Thurs 17th
    Rest

Friday 18th
    3.7miles easy @ 9:32

Sat 20th
    5k TT
    This was a mid plan 5k TT which I wasn’t sure if I’d chicken out of doing so to make sure I didn’t I told some of my running girlies to keep me accountable!!!
    Picking a route near me that wasn’t too hill or didn’t go through housing estates or that wasn’t multiple loops was hard, I really have to do better research. I finally came up with the bright idea of going 5k down the N4 and running towards home. If I’m completely honest it was an easy route, it started with a slight uphill and then a lovely downhill for a good bit of the first mile and then was pretty much flat the rest of the way. The only downside was I’d to cross 4 roads.
    I did a 2 mile warm up, some stretches and was ready to go.

Mile 1 - 6:57 This mile was fine the downhill kept my pace up and I was feeling pretty good. Towards the end of it I’d to cross my first road and I could see a bus coming so crossed early and ended up on an overgrown grassy verge which wasn’t ideal but didn’t put me off to much.
    Mile 2 - 7:17 This was a nice flat session but my pace dropped exactly 20sec on this mile. After the first mile beeped I didn’t look at my watch again. My main focus was not stopping (which I did last time) I knew if I stopped it’d be a long time before I attempted a 5k again. I crossed the second road without incident and as I was coming to the end of the mile I to run up the slip road, when I got near the top I could see there were too many cars passing for me to be able to continue without stopping so I did a quick turn around and headed back down the section I just came.
    Mile 3- 7:37 Again I dropped another 20secs exactly. At the time I really couldn’t of cared less and was just happy I was running mile 3 and I still hadn’t stopped yet!!

My final time was 22:39 which is 11 seconds faster than I ran 5 weeks ago. I still have a lot to learn about 5ks. When I finished I knew there were definitely parts I could improve on and if I’m completely honest I did pick an easy route with the first mile having a big down hill but my main goal was to stay strong mentally and not talk myself out of running it which I achieved. I needed the mental boost more than anything, the time is a bonus. So the next goal is to stay mentally strong, pick a fairer route and get a good time... no pressure

• Advertisement

Week 5
    Mon 21st

6x1000m @ goal 5k pace, 200m rec (7:05-7:15)
    This was a tough session so soon after the 5k TT but I managed to stay within my pace range so very happy about that. I ran it an a lovely country road around the corner from my house, meet a couple of runners but no cars around and the sun was shiny, gorgeous morning

Tues 22nd
    6miles easy @ 9:39
    Nice run another lovely day.

Wed 23rd
    Rest

Thurs 24th
    25min tempo (7:55-8:07)
    Second mile of the tempo was too fast but managed to pull it back for the last mile.

Fri 25th
    14miles easy @ 9:49
    This was a great run, I didn’t want it to end! I felt like I could of ran forever

Total: 35.8miles

Week 6
    Sunday 27th

8x400m @ mile pace, 200 rec (6:25-6:35)
    It was hard getting up early on a Sunday morning to do this! My pace was between 6:37-6:46 so nowhere near my planned mile pace but I tried my best!

Monday 28th
    7miles easy @ 9:21
    I was under pressure to get this run done so it wasn’t a relaxed easy run

Tuesday 29th
    50min w/ 10x10sec hills
    It was later in the morning by the time I got out to do this so there was loads of people in the park and it was roasting. The first hill I chose was a disaster so ended up going to another one which was much better and less people around.

Wed 30th
    Rest

Thurs 1st July
    6x800m @ goal 5k pace, 200m rec (7:05-7:15)
    I felt so awkward doing my warm up for this, I found it so hard to relax but overall I was pretty happy with the run. The second rep was a little slow but other than that I was within range for the rest. The last 2 times I did this session I faded on the last 2 reps but that didn’t happen today... yay!! :)

Fri 2nd
    14miles easy @ 10:02
    I always look forward to this run because I’ve company for it and the miles just tick by!

Total: 43miles

I’m off on my holidays this week so I don’t plan to run much/stay on plan.
    When I get home I’ll finish off the last 2 weeks of the plan and hopefully do another TT, I’d love to have a proper 5k race to do though.
    I’m really happy with how the plans going, I definitely feel improvement in my speed and I’m hoping that will pay off when I start HM training again

Advertisement