Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sick/weak Calf

• 28-02-2021 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Have a sick/weak calf that seems to recover somewhat and then go down hill again with scour like symptoms and is very thrown down. There had been scour in the house when born and got it fairly soon so my thinking is that given she was given antibiotics so young that immune system is shot.

Vet could not identify anything on examination and treated for both minerals defficeany and stomach ulcear to cover.

What are your go to remedies for scour and weak calf, would another feed of colostrum from another cow do any good

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

boiled porridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Keep the calf hydrated anyway. Starts the starting point. If the calf is kept well hydrated with plenty of fluids and electrolyte then it should be able to fight off whatever it has then over time.
    It's not just the normal drink that a calf takes you have to give it, but make up for all the lost fluids too. Stomach tubing if needs be.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Murang

No harm giving a natural yougart it can build up bacteria in the stomach to get calf breaking down milk properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Keep the calf hydrated anyway. Starts the starting point. If the calf is kept well hydrated with plenty of fluids and electrolysis then it should be able to fight off whatever it has then over time.
    It's not just the normal drink that a calf takes you have to give it, but make up for all the lost fluids too. Stomach tubing if needs be.

Calf needs milk too.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Madisonmenece

Murang wrote: »
    No harm giving a natural yougart it can build up bacteria in the stomach to get calf breaking down milk properly

Been making yogourt here and seems to be doing good

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Calf needs milk too.

Ya, but in a suckler situation, that's much harder to do. You're hoping that the energy in the electrolyte will give them that boost to get up and sucking again.
    I go every second feed then, 8 hours apart, alternating with milk and electrolyte.

I add natural yogurt too to the homemade electrolyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

How do ye make homemade electrolyte?
    In the past i've boiled water and added sugar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I'd get some Bovicox or equivalent from your Vet if you don't have it. Dose rate is 3ml per 10kg bodyweight for Bovicox.

Here is a recipe for making home made electrylytes from Animal Health Ireland -

couple cc of pen strip oral

• Advertisement

cute geoge wrote: »
    couple cc of pen strip oral
    Oral antibiotics will kill off the gut flora and the benefits of the yeast in the yoghurt - I wouldn't do it.
    Did the Vet take a dung sample and check it.

I use the AHI one as linked above. I keep a store of glucose, bread soda and low salt always .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Where do you buy the glucose?

Most supermarkets sell it. You will normally find it in the baking section. The local shop gets extra stocks of it in for the calving season.

Tesco but that was last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

Base price wrote: »
    Here is a recipe for making home made electrylytes from Animal Health Ireland -

I’ve used this mix for a number of years and I don’t think you’ll buy a better solution for calves . I’ve given it to calves , weanlings, and cows that needed a boost. Most creamery sell large tubs of glucose

I don't normally buy calves, but I bought one last year to replace a suckler calf. I give him a dose of the homemade electrolyte on the trailer before I let him off. Big mistake. Let down the ramp and off he took running. The glucose puts serious energy into them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Big mistake. Let down the ramp and off he took running. The glucose puts serious energy into them.

😂😂😂

I don't normally buy calves, but I bought one last year to replace a suckler calf. I give him a dose of the homemade electrolyte on the trailer before I let him off. Big mistake. Let down the ramp and off he took running. The glucose puts serious energy into them.
    It's a good idea to give bought in calves electrolytes when you get them home although I'd wait until they were in the pen :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Base price wrote: »
    It's a good idea to give bought in calves electrolytes when you get them home although I'd wait until they were in the pen :)

I’d it because of change in diet?

• Advertisement

I’d it because of change in diet?
    Stress from travelling/moving to a new location.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Madisonmenece

Update

On Sunday lunchtime gave the calf about 600 grams of live yogourt and also treated for lice as a precaution as had read it can be the cause in some cases.

Later on Sunday evening dosed about 700/800 grams of colostrum from a cow calved that day. Monday morning we had completely different calf tulking &;drinking and hope she stays that way as we thought we were going to have to put her down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Update

On Sunday lunchtime gave the calf about 600 grams of live yogourt and also treated for lice as a precaution as had read it can be the cause in some cases.

Later on Sunday evening dosed about 700/800 grams of colostrum from a cow calved that day. Monday morning we had completely different calf tulking &;drinking and hope she stays that way as we thought we were going to have to put her down.

Good news, there's always one or two that will give you bother, happens on every farm, worth spending a bit of time to get them right or at least give them their best chance, we'd always give natural yougurt to sickly calves, especially if there;s a bit of scour or they get stomached with a big feed of milk.
    No harm getting a dung sample tested, if something like Coccidiosis shows up then you'll have to treat every calf in the shed.

Have a sick/weak calf that seems to recover somewhat and then go down hill again with scour like symptoms and is very thrown down. There had been scour in the house when born and got it fairly soon so my thinking is that given she was given antibiotics so young that immune system is shot.

Vet could not identify anything on examination and treated for both minerals defficeany and stomach ulcear to cover.

What are your go to remedies for scour and weak calf, would another feed of colostrum from another cow do any good
    What about the pink tablets?

They are good, they have electrolytes etc, make the calf regular quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

What about the pink tablets?

They are good, they have electrolytes etc, make the calf regular quickly

If you are referring to Synulox tablets, they are an effective treatment for scour, they mainly comprise of Amoxicillin antibiotic.

What about noridine tabs ,what is difference to pink synulux tablets
    Then what difference is there with noridine injection does either work faster

If you are referring to Synulox tablets, they are an effective treatment for scour, they mainly comprise of Amoxicillin antibiotic.

Yes, I found those to be a very good treatment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

cute geoge wrote: »
    What about noridine tabs ,what is difference to pink synulux tablets
    Then what difference is there with noridine injection does either work faster

I think Norodine is the same as Intertrim or primadoxine injection, if I can remember back it I think it was a prescribed treatment in the recovery from Coccidiosis, when it was first diagnosed on the farm. The Vet said it had to be used with caution as it can cause kidney damage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Antibiotics have limited use in calf scour. The most common agents (Rotavirus, Coronavirus, Cryptosporidium) are not affected by antibiotics. E. coli affects calves up to ~ five days old.

So they are recommended where the calf is young; the scour is accompanied by a fever or another condition (swollen navel, swollen joints) or the calf is flat out and susceptible to anything going.

Fluids in abundant quantities and early is always going to be the cornerstone of scour treatment.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
Advertisement