Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about ivy

Options
  • 28-02-2021 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

There appears to be differing views on this so I am unsure.

Does ivy damage building and structures if left to grow unabated. I am looking at some in outhouses and unsure if I need to remove it.

Thanks

Comments

I would be Ivy's greatest advocate, but it can damage some structures. The one in the picture is one such. Stems expand and thicken and prise apart and warp roofing. You will need to remove at least any stems or tendrils that are passing through the structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Does ivy damage building and structures if left to grow unabated. I am looking at some in outhouses and unsure if I need to remove it.

I can tell you from first-hand experience that, yes: it can cause serious damage to buildings. However, this is likely to be more severe in older constructions with softer materials (e.g. lime mortar in my case) where the stems can easily get in between the stones and literally force them out of the wall.

Where you have a more open construction - as in your photos - it will eventually cause problems, e.g. lifting the corrugated sheets off the wood, but it's not urgent-urgent. All-in-all, better to cut it back while it's young and the stems are relatively thin and soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 deansw1ft

I have two trees in my back garden both heavily 'infested' by ivy. How could I remove the ivy?
    I have tried pulling it off manually but the ivy creepers are about 30mm thick and have an amazing grip on the tree?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

deansw1ft wrote: »
    I have two trees in my back garden both heavily 'infested' by ivy. How could I remove the ivy?
    I have tried pulling it off manually but the ivy creepers are about 30mm thick and have an amazing grip on the tree?

I've just spent today trying to tidy up an overgrown ditch along the garden. Trimmed back some trees and tried to tackle ivy on some of them that need attention.

My plan is cutting off what I can, letting it die off up the tree and fall off over time. I won't want to use chemicals so I'm happy to let time take its course and keep new growth at bay as best I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Just pick a height that is manageable to reach, say 2 feet from the ground and cut all the ivy at that height in a circle around the tree. Then do the same 10 - 12 inches higher.

You create a break in the ivy and have a ring free the whole way around the tree. Everything above this ring will die off and can be removed easily in a few months, or next winter. The remaining ivy below this ring is easier to remove as it isn't connected all up the tree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 deansw1ft

Hi again thanks for advice.....I omitted to say that the tree is so heavily infested with ivy that the tree type can't be determined though I suspect its a coniferous. The tree is about 50. feet high and top heavy with ivy that I fear will eventually topple the tree into my neighbours garden. Pigeons and magpies are nesting in the top cluster of ivy at about 45 feet above ground....am attempting to shift the ivy with a bill hook but making little impression.

I really wouldn't remove any ivy if there is nesting going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭blackbox

I really wouldn't remove any ivy if there is nesting going on.

Cutting the ivy close to ground level of a big tree won't affect nesting this year. It takes ages to die back. If the tree gets blown down it will be much worse for the birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Hi again thanks for advice.....I omitted to say that the tree is so heavily infested with ivy that the tree type can't be determined though I suspect its a coniferous. The tree is about 50. feet high and top heavy with ivy that I fear will eventually topple the tree into my neighbours garden. Pigeons and magpies are nesting in the top cluster of ivy at about 45 feet above ground....am attempting to shift the ivy with a bill hook but making little impression.

A hatchet; a saw and a crowbar is a good combo. Hatchet through the foliage; saw through the ivy stem; prise the stem away from the trunk of the tree by a couple of CM.
    Repeat this around the tree trunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

A hatchet; a saw and a crowbar is a good combo. Hatchet through the foliage; saw through the ivy stem; prise the stem away from the trunk of the tree by a couple of CM.
    Repeat this around the tree trunk.

While avoiding damaging the bark.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Also, take some before, during and after photos, so you can see the progress. Hopefully, you can save the tree. I had one that I thought was a goner that now looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Watch out for pests like slugs and woolly aphid hiding under those leaves and wear gloves to protect your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

greasepalm wrote: »
    Watch out for pests like slugs and woolly aphid hiding under those leaves and wear gloves to protect your hands.

Would it be hysterical to wear a dustmask? Last time I did a job like this an unbelievable amount of dust was lurking behind the ivy, not to mention some ivy pollen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭greasepalm

If one deems it as working above your head and maybe goggles and a hat also as god knows what is landing on your head.

Advertisement