Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gordon Elliott

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

StevieNick wrote: »
    Wrong again.

Please research your claims before making them.

50 million, yes 50 million watched the final of shanghai masters last year............I'll keep pulling you up on false claims by the way

We can move the National Hunt calendar to China so. Sorted. ****in' hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The biggest threat to racing is in terms of exchequer funding. Thats always been a question, this probably won't unduly affect that in the long term, imo anyway. Snookers doing ok, but it doesnt have a base the way racing or gaa would. Its global appeal is spreading but numbers here and uk declining in worrying levels. But its a fatuous and meaningless comparison anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭startrek56

we all know that behind the scenes there is some sort of cruelty going on, but when you see a leading trainer sitting on top of a dead horse, it just doesnt sit right with a lot of people including myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Wrong again.

Please research your claims before making them.

50 million, yes 50 million watched the final of shanghai masters last year............I'll keep pulling you up on false claims by the way

Horse racing has a huge association with gambling, which is illegal in mainland China and the authorities are allergic to anything that could let gambling in. Snooker, rightly or wrongly, has been allowed to thrive in China and it gets official backing with state TV involvement. You can't really compare the Shanghai masters to the UK/Ireland scene.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 StevieNick

jakiah wrote: »
    We can move the National Hunt calendar to China so. Sorted. ****in' hell.

Probably suit you if it was moved there anyway ;)

Anyway, Globally snooker is VERY popular

• Advertisement

Looking forward to seeing how Charles Byrnes gets on dealing with the Chinese Communist Party instead of the IRHB at his corruption trial

Looking forward to seeing how Charles Byrnes gets on dealing with the Chinese Communist Party instead of the IRHB at his corruption trial

I.H.R.B.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Toetohand

They would just love him!

Probably suit you if it was moved there anyway ;)

Anyway, Globally snooker is VERY popular
    And is national hunt racing popular globally? I see your point but horse racing will never have substantial support from China for the time being, and it's arguably Chinese involvement that has kept the pro scene alive to be at the place it is today, along with Barry Hearne's work. It's for that reason that I'd say sports that were popular in the UK and Ireland can and do suffer a decline in viewers and money. Here's another link from someone a bit more even-keeled than ROS: https://www.bbc.com/sport/snooker/31379049

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

I think the authorities will take appropriate action and hopefully both GE and RJ will be allowed to move on with their lives. Personally I think GE is finished in the sport as a trainer anyway and given his initial press release it's hard to defend the man in any way. Horse Racing will suffer in the short term but it will survive and continue on, it is a great sport and is loved by thousands across the world. But there will certainly be a huge cloud over Cheltenham this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Cheveley Park have pulled their horses from Gordon’s. Gone to Mullins and De Bromhead

And is national hunt racing popular globally? I see your point but horse racing will never have substantial support from China for the time being, and it's arguably Chinese involvement that has kept the pro scene alive to be at the place it is today, along with Barry Hearne's work. It's for that reason that I'd say sports that were popular in the UK and Ireland can and do suffer a decline in viewers and money. Here's another link from someone a bit more even-keeled than ROS:

Agreed, but you were giving an example of a sport not thriving which is very true for uk and ireland but not globally. Apples and Oranjes

The Mig wrote: »
    Cheveley Park have pulled their horses from Gordon’s. Gone to Mullins and De Bromhead

Think Henry has got Envoi Allen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I'm a regular poster in the HR forum so ignore that this is my first post. It isn't.........

So for the people who think this "is the beginning of the end of horse racing"

One of the most stupid statements i have ever read on boards. And there are plenty.

The horse racing industry in Ireland is worth circa EUR2 Billion per annum. It employs directly or indirectly 20k plus people. Do you think that any government will shut this down over a few videos and a picture??? Nonsense.

The hysteria is typical of this day and age. Now, personally the picture is absolutely disgraceful and personally if i had horses with him, i'd pull them. Chevely park have made this decision already and the horses will be gone in the next day or so.

Personally i don't like the chap. He's an arrogant prik. Success came too early, or he may have always been a prik.

I have been in the cmpany on WPM a few times and he is a gent of the highest order who i'm sure cares for his animals to the highest order. For people saying that horses are not cared for, is both irresponsible and idiotic.

I remember AP saying how he cried himself to sleep after i think Synchronised was put to sleep. (I think it was synchronised anyway)

Also, look at the joy,ecstasy,heartbreak a stable hand shows when they enjoy success/death. Don't tell me they don't care.

What would i do in this instance? Big Gordo going to have to take his medicine and face 6 months out. He'll suffer with owners pulling horses but to destroy him completely is not a fair setnece.

Look at wider society - Scumbags robbing shops with knives, drink drivers causing death etc etc, getting a second chance. Now tell me hoestly, does somebody sitting on a dead horse smiling deserve to be destroyed? No, not in my opinion anyway

Good post. Gordon did not take and put up the image himself. The outrage on all forms of media lately was as if GE was lounging on a deceased human while smoking a spliff, taking selfies and necking Dutch Gold. How many mourners will be allowed to attend the animal's funeral?

The biggest threat to racing is in terms of exchequer funding. Thats always been a question, this probably won't unduly affect that in the long term, imo anyway. Snookers doing ok, but it doesnt have a base the way racing or gaa would. Its global appeal is spreading but numbers here and uk declining in worrying levels. But its a fatuous and meaningless comparison anyway.
    It's anything but fatuous, I'm not using snooker to say "horse racing is next" but there are worrying overlaps with a sport that in the past didn't have global appeal and went through a decline in this part of the world. Snooker has managed to expand its appeal to other huge markets, but that came after a decline domestically. So my point is you can't say a sport with a tradition based on these islands has never gone into decline. I agree that this isn't the end for horse racing, but these things don't just go away without some work and hoping it'll be fine in a few weeks.

Its uncanny all the things the head-in-the-sand merchants told us yesterday wouldn't happen keep happening. Doesn't bode well for the longer term predictions.

Its good news for the sport though, this needs to go all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Alanm2020

Hearing the Moran's are about to move all their horses to the Gavin Cromwell yard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Anniepowaaa

no better man to train a chaser than HDB but bit surprised they gave him quixillios when they already have honeysuckle in the yard, sir gerhard with willie so he will be winning the bumper either way now

Alanm2020 wrote: »
    Hearing the Moran's are about to move all their horses to the Gavin Cromwell yard.

Yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Yep!

For real? Massive opportunity for him would be an understatement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

no better man to train a chaser than HDB but bit surprised they gave him quixillios when they already have honeysuckle in the yard, sir gerhard with willie so he will be winning the bumper either way now

Why would having Honeysuckle be a deterrent to Quixillios going to HDB? One is a champion hurdle contender and the other is a decent juvenile hurdler who is an out and out chaser.

Coneygree wrote: »
    zanahiyr is the only one with any potential they have

Coneygree wrote: »

Only a rumour on a group i'm on but it'll be known within the next couple of days anyway. He's more than capable anyway

Kauto wrote: »
    Why would having Honeysuckle be a deterrent to Quixillios going to HDB? One is a champion hurdle contender and the other is a decent juvenile hurdler who is an out and out chaser.
    quixillios will beat zanahiyr

It will in its hole. Zanahyir would have at least 6 lengths on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Tritonic beats them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Alanm2020

Ginto, Riviere D'etele, Gringo D'Aubrelle, Showbusiness, Queens Brook, Grand Roi, The Bosses Oscar to name but a few are full of potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Not true in the slightest. But even if so, the thought of having an owner who spends money like water is a huge opportunity.

qoute me when you are proven wrong

• Advertisement

Slattsy wrote: »

Tritonic won't be mapped. A shocking prep for a triumph horse.

very possible

And? What's that to do with sending him to HDB?

He won't beat him.

If the rumored cattle prod video actually does exist he is done for life.

Kauto wrote: »
    And? What's that to do with sending him to HDB?

He won't beat him.
    Honeysuckle will win the ch and after quixillios wins the triumph they will meet the following year if she is still in training

Crazy over reaction. Man made a stupid error of judgement. He is paying a very heavy price. You would swear he was a pedo the way people are going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Racing Post
    A referrals committee hearing into the Elliott investigation will take place on Friday, the IHRB confirmed on Tuesday.

Honeysuckle will win the ch and after quixillios wins the triumph they will meet the following year if she is still in training

Fair play to you, needed laugh today. He is no more a champion hurdle horse than I am an Olympic runner.

He is an out and out staying chaser and will end up like most triumph hurdle horses running over 3M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Where’s ballyadam going ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The video with the jockey and dead horse is 5 years old, according to a guy from Racing Post who was interviewed on Sky Sports.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Where’s ballyadam going ?
    HENRYS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The video with the jockey and dead horse is 5 years old, according to a guy from Racing Post who was interviewed on Sky Sports.

It is ye 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭slimshady007

Lad GAGA wrote: »
    I think the authorities will take appropriate action and hopefully both GE and RJ will be allowed to move on with their lives. Personally I think GE is finished in the sport as a trainer anyway and given his initial press release it's hard to defend the man in any way. Horse Racing will suffer in the short term but it will survive and continue on, it is a great sport and is loved by thousands across the world. But there will certainly be a huge cloud over Cheltenham this year.

Ah would ya relax. He's the only one who has shown he can run an operation big enough to compete with Mullins in Ireland. Without him the racing scene here will go the same way as the flat with one dominant trainer miles ahead of the rest.

I don't condone the image at all (or his ridiculous explanation) and he was very naive to be caught on camera but he didn't kill the horse. It was a poor 'lads' joke of the horse not fit for the fat lad on his back - end of.

If this video of the cattle prod comes out then I might change my mind but there's no evidence of any systematic abuse to the horses. I'm sure the likes of Cheveley Park would have done extensive checks on horse welfare there so they were obviously happy with the set up. To me the trainers found guilty of running horses when injured or administering drugs is far more serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭I says

I see the ihrb are convening on the 5th the pitchfork brigade on Twitter want gordo burnt at the stake right now. Any wonder the world is gone made the turf club doing due diligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Ah lads, Liveline is coming on now on Radio Eireann. We should park this and go over there for a while, and get the usual finely nuanced opinion of the nation. Bound to be engaging!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Has anyone actually seen this video? Not asking for content just wondering is this all talk about a rumour that it exists just a rumour or can someone say they actually saw it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Racing Post
    A referrals committee hearing into the Elliott investigation will take place on Friday, the IHRB confirmed on Tuesday.

Will give the ok for David Broad to take over the yard that day I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭th hen

Maybe elliott might have a bit more respect for his syndicate owners now as they are the ones who will stand by him through thick and thin. Big name owners have to bow to public image. I feel this is such a big story more so due to his extra circular activities in the yard than the picture. No defending the picture but handy rod to break his back with. I've had few horses with him and found him ignorant I won't lie . If your liked you can get away with anything in this country ( it's corrupt as fk) strikes me that it's possible he's not that well liked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Greyhound racing was never that popular so hardly comparable. If its dropped in popularity (maybe it has) its dropped form a tiny sample size anyway. I do not know anyone with an interest in greyhound racing. Chalk and cheese.

No one grows up dreaming of owning a greyhound winner around Shelbourne Park.

Not so sure about that. Around my neck of the woods there's a huge interest and winning an Irish or English derby or a cesarawich orst leger would be a big deal. It doesn't attract as many Johnny come lately as horse racing would.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Sullovan

Just cautious, the horsey people who are saying it is not big deal. What kind of sanction, if any are appropriate for this?

Sullovan wrote: »
    Just cautious, the horsey people who are saying it is not big deal. What kind of sanction, if any are appropriate for this?

Rovoke his license for a period of time

• Advertisement
Advertisement