Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gordon Elliott

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Andrewke

Sullovan wrote: »
    Just cautious, the horsey people who are saying it is not big deal. What kind of sanction, if any are appropriate for this?

Suspension and a fine probably about 4-6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Andrewke

Alanm2020 wrote: »
    Hearing the Moran's are about to move all their horses to the Gavin Cromwell yard.

Where did you hear this from ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

th hen wrote: »
    Maybe elliott might have a bit more respect for his syndicate owners now as they are the ones who will stand by him through thick and thin. Big name owners have to bow to public image. I feel this is such a big story more so due to his extra circular activities in the yard than the picture. No defending the picture but handy rod to break his back with. I've had few horses with him and found him ignorant I won't lie . If your liked you can get away with anything in this country ( it's corrupt as fk) strikes me that it's possible he's not that well liked.
    I have only heard going things when having to deal with him. Know some people who had a horse with him that was useless. Elliott said they'd be able to get a win out of it and then sell it on to get a chunk of their money back. He delivered on the promise. He could have just kept the horse in training for another few years and pocketed the training fees, but he was honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭th hen

I have only heard going things when having to deal with him. Know some people who had a horse with him that was useless. Elliott said they'd be able to get a win out of it and then sell it on to get a chunk of their money back. He delivered on the promise. He could have just kept the horse in training for another few years and pocketed the training fees, but he was honest.

Can only go on my own experience from being involved with 4 different horses with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

Twitter what a toxic kip. All delighted that Elliot has lost the CP horses. Now saying the lads and lasses can move with the horses to the new yards. What are these people on do they think it’s easy for the staff involved and just upsticks from Meath and roll into yards in Carlow and Wexford ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Just cautious, the horsey people who are saying it is not big deal. What kind of sanction, if any are appropriate for this?

Josh Apiafi (one of the "experts" on Sky Sports Racing who says he's been involved in racing for the last 30 years) said today that neither Elliott nor James should be allowed have any involvement in racing again!

Also he was quite vehement that Elliott should not be allowed have runners in Ireland either, until his case is heard. I'm paraphrasing now, but something along the lines of - the photo is available to everyone, he's admitted the offence (so it's not a case of innocent till proven guilty), it makes the sport a laughing stock that he can continue racing while it's decided what the punishment should be.

Mind you, he also mentioned "cruelty" in his comments, which the presenter was quick to pull him up on. What Elliott did was crass and disgusting, but it wasn't animal cruelty.

I would say a lifetime ban would be very much a minority viewpoint. I'd imagine a few months would suffice for most people, subject to nothing else actually coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Bangor Billy

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Cheveley Park or anyone else will not pull their horses from Elliot, especially before the festival

So don't be daft.

This will all be forgotten about in a weeks time.

Just like all the corruption and non triers are forgotten about

Apology accepted!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Losing Envoi Allen will hurt more than whatever suspension he gets most likely.

Based off the image alone (assuming nothing else comes out), I feel sorry for him. It's wrong but it is certainly not the worst thing in the world and certainly not the worst thing someone has done to an animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

The dam of the horse Gordon Elliott was sitting on, Morgan, was Gilt Ridden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

StevieNick wrote: »
    Rovoke his license for a period of time
    For what offence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I wonder how some of the posters who say they were distressed and the callers to liveline who were in tears when they saw the photo feel when they see images on tv of kids ,usually black, with flys crawling around their faces and misfortune mothers trying to sooth them . Do they break down in tears? Do they ring Joe Duffy? Actually do they even bother their arses posting on boards about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I wonder how some of the posters who say they were distressed and the callers to liveline who were in tears when they saw the photo feel when they see images on tv of kids ,usually black, with flys crawling around their faces and misfortune mothers trying to sooth them . Do they break down in tears? Do they ring Joe Duffy? Actually do they even bother their arses posting on boards about it.

Don’t forget the outraged people probably eat meat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Scotty # wrote: »
    For what offence?

Most likely for bringing the sport into disrepute.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Scotty # wrote: »
    For what offence?

Should be obvious really.....

Horse racing has been facing an uphill image battle for years now, this type of thing isn't good for the image in any way.

Dodge wrote: »
    I genuinely don’t care what Elliot did but I found his initial ‘apology’ hilarious and posts like this equally as funny

He sat on the horse because he didn’t give a ****e about a dead horse. It’s that simple

Again, this doesn’t bother me but we now have people so eager to defend him they’re trying to make up all sorts of ****e and others saying he’s the real victim here as his mental health will suffer

It’s ****ing insane stuff

Racing will be grand. Elliot will be OK in the long run and this will hang around him.

We’ll all go back to eating meat and not caring where it comes from and most of us will have a bet oblivious to how the animal (or jockey) was treated

He sat on the horse to probably encourage it to get up? I don't know!

What difference does it make? I don't know his reasons but I don't train

horses but he does and I'm sure he took it very seriously regardless of

what people think this image portrays! For all those who are offended

by this image DO NOT go into a betting shop in protest again!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭startrek56

people have become immune to that at this stage sad and all as it is... they see it as not their problem.

Gordon Elliott is an irishman and horse racing is huge in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Sullovan

I used “horsey people” as reference to people involved/ avidly follow the races just incase there is a derogatory side to that phrase it was not meant.
    Interesting that it seems people involved in the sport are calling for bans. If this were to happen is there anything stopping him from becoming involved with another yard in an official advisory or constant position and just have him run the show while he is there? I’m sure there would be plenty of smaller trainers who jump at the chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Don’t forget the outraged people probably eat meat!

Will you accept Elliot was guilty from this vegetarian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

MOD edit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Morgans wrote: »
    Will you accept Elliot was guilty from this vegetarian?

Yeah people are stupid, some are saying if they eat meat and criticise that moron Elliott, they're hypocrites, others are blaming the criticism of him on vegetarian snowflakes. Circular logic at its finest :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

MOD edit

MOD edit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

MOD edit

Bizarre comparison. What has a dying child to do with this subject, let alone their colour.

Everyone I know who is into horses thinks Elliot was out of line. The racing community isn't uniting behind him. That appears to be reflected on here tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

6 wrote: »
    Everyone I know who is into horses thinks Elliot was out of line. The racing community isn't uniting behind him. That appears to be reflected on here tbh.

Well that's not true anyway, plenty of posters on here lamenting anyone who has the gall to disapprove of the picture, bringing up eating meat or suggesting that the idea of him getting punished or losing clients is laughable.

A bit of perspective from both sides would be nice, he hasn't killed an animal and posed with it, but he's done something really distasteful and deserves the punishment that comes from that. Not shot at dawn or told not to go within 100M or horses again or something mental mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Perhaps the punishment here should fit the crime?

As Elliott sat on the horse, so should a horse now sit on Elliott.

Perhaps the punishment here should fit the crime?

As Elliott sat on the horse, so should a horse now sit on Elliott.
    The horse was dead though, so he would have to be too. Your punishment might be a bit extreme :D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Slattsy wrote: »
    MOD edit

Spot on, thanks TT

6 wrote: »
    Bizarre comparison. What has a dying child to do with this subject, let alone their colour.

At the risk of being accused of being uncivil towards you, the comparison is only bizarre if you are unable or unwilling to comprehend the post you were reading . Whichever is the case only you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

jakiah wrote: »
    Snooker being the obvious example.

You mean after the tobacco sponsorship was made illegal, it has recovered.
    jakiah wrote: »
    Boxing, cannibalised by corruption and its morally repugnant overseers.

Boxing where a very limited UFC fighter got $50M for one fight?

Two great points to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I says wrote: »
    Twitter what a toxic kip. All delighted that Elliot has lost the CP horses. Now saying the lads and lasses can move with the horses to the new yards. What are these people on do they think it’s easy for the staff involved and just upsticks from Meath and roll into yards in Carlow and Wexford ffs.

Horses move all the time, Gigginstown sent all theirs to Gordon, I don't remember seeing you posting about the poor lads and lasses in Mullins yard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Any update on the shebeen?

I hope when the dust settles on this and Elliot pays what ever price he has to pay that it will be remembered how BHA acted on the matter. They have banned him without even speaking with him or holding an inquiry while they appear to have no problem with Sheil Mohammed maktoum having horses running in England where the sheik has been convicted in an English court!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

I hope when the dust settles on this and Elliot pays what ever price he has to pay that it will be remembered how BHA acted on the matter. They have banned him without even speaking with him or holding an inquiry while they appear to have no problem with Sheil Mohammed maktoum having horses running in England where the sheik has been convicted in an English court!

I'd say the BHA are getting sick at this stage, if it's not Mullins or Elliott in march, its O'Brien dominating the summer group 1s. It's an opportunity for them to try get the likes of Cheevely park to pull some of the horses and get them with UK based trainers.

You'd think that Gordon didn't hold his hands up and accept that he will get punished.

piplip87 wrote: »
    I'd say the BHA are getting sick at this stage, if it's not Mullins or Elliott in march, its O'Brien dominating the summer group 1s. It's an opportunity for them to try get the likes of Cheevely park to pull some of the horses and get them with UK based trainers.

Like cheveleys other NH trainers, de bromhead and Mullins.

BHA sitting over in sassana fingers crossed hoping Willie decides to take a phone call while straddling a dead horse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭startrek56

they had to ban him immediately until they did an investigation, he is a horse trainer smiling sitting on top of a dead horse!!

startrek56 wrote: »
    they had to ban him immediately until they did an investigation, he is a horse trainer smiling sitting on top of a dead horse!!

And the Sheik?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Mod edit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Matt Cooper just made that point. The BHA have no problem letting a lad who (allegedly) has his daughter locked up be involved in racing.

Elliott sits on a dead horse....BAN HIM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

so the next video is going to be even more high profile and worse then yesterdays!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Seve OB wrote: »
    so the next video is going to be even more high profile and worse then yesterdays!

So I’m hearing for 2 days, starting to wonder if it’s coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

So I’m hearing for 2 days, starting to wonder if it’s coming.

apparently wants media to cover it.... looking to get paid now probably for dishing the dirt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭snowgal

yes Ive heard that a good few times since yesterday morning, Rumour mill.....Id say todays video was THE rumour mill and now people are just spreading shiyte..

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Moon Dice

Very sceptical there is any more videos to be honest. Surely would have popped up by now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

And the Sheik?

what about what about what about

Black kids, Afghanistan, dwarf tossing, sheik mohammed, Iraq, JP & Barry Connell, O'Leary, Henderson, Labaik, Joe Duffy, Tracy Piggot, 41 posts of complete waffle from you in this thread with exactly one mention of the thread topic where you tell us you cannot see what the fuss is about.

Youre a gas man.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

There is plenty more there. Whether certain women from the past would want to drag up some terrible pain and be subjected to social media not believing them is another thing. Betting social media contains some of the most prehistoric attitudes so probably not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

Moon Dice wrote: »
    Very sceptical there is any more videos to be honest. Surely would have popped up by now

Even speculating about it is a waste of time, these rumours take on a life of their own on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭cocotheclown

And the Sheik?

Nothing to do with welfare of horses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

startrek56 wrote: »

The concept of innocent until proven guilty seems to have totally disappeared in the last few years. Not a good development. Sad that has to be pointed out.

The BHA act was a total overreach.

• Advertisement
Advertisement