Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gordon Elliott

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

Never seen such an over reaction in all my life. Every radio station talking about this, its there main bulletin but theres a women last night in Ballymun leading about 20 squad cars on a merry dance around the City and not a thing said about it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭cocotheclown

The concept of innocent until proven guilty seems to have totally disappeared in the last few years. Not a good development. Sad that has to be pointed out.

The BHA act was a total overreach.

He admited he did it and it coming before the biggest meeting of the year not sure what they should of done? Let him carry on and be seen on tv like nowt has gone on? Its hard enough for racing to give a good image without GE being an utter dickhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

The concept of innocent until proven guilty seems to have totally disappeared in the last few years.

Theres a literally a photo of the chap sitting on a dead horse gurning like a ****ing idiot. He's admitted that he's done it. What do you want, a trial at the Old Bailey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

So I’m hearing for 2 days, starting to wonder if it’s coming.
    snowgal wrote: »
    yes Ive heard that a good few times since yesterday morning, Rumour mill.....Id say todays video was THE rumour mill and now people are just spreading shiyte..
    Moon Dice wrote: »
    Very sceptical there is any more videos to be honest. Surely would have popped up by now

i guess we'll soon see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

The concept of innocent until proven guilty seems to have totally disappeared in the last few years. Not a good development. Sad that has to be pointed out.

The BHA act was a total overreach.

tbf what proof do you need? he's accused of sitting on a dead horse and having a picture taken of him in a pose... pretty sure the evidence is in for that your honour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Moon Dice wrote: »
    Very sceptical there is any more videos to be honest. Surely would have popped up by now

It is a good strategy to drip feed, keep it high profile.

Secondly they might be waiting until the IHRB have made a decision over the picture and taken action and any subsequent release is another enquiry and more action rather than it all getting neatly bundled into a 6 month ban or whatever action. This is what I would do.

What have we learned, don't **** with shemale(s).

We'll have to start handing out the tinfoil hats soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭jackboy

hots wrote: »
    he's accused of sitting on a dead horse and having a picture taken of him in a pose...

When you see this written down it just emphasises how ridiculous the media attention over this is. This incident alone is nothing more than someone acting the clown. Yeah, it may be described as disgusting and offensive but it is in no way an animal welfare issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

There's a good reason a lot of industry people have gone for the juggler on him with this. The guy is an animal and has been for some time. Nobody can say anything but its being said in roundabout ways in the over the top reaction to this.

TheadoreT wrote: »
    There's a good reason a lot of industry people have gone for the juggler on him with this. The guy is an animal and has been for some time. Nobody can say anything but its being said in roundabout ways in the over the top reaction to this.

Do you know him personally?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Anniepowaaa

All very boring this now thankfully Cheltenham is on soon and the peta crowd can cry into their lettuce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Labaik wrote: »

I dont know him but watching Barry Geraghty on Off The Fence who rides out for him - talks about the surprise and the damage for Gordon and racing in general.

What he doesnt say is that this episode is something that is out of character for Gordon Elliot, or anything like that. Its the last thing I'd expect etc. In fact, no one has. Guess they know that there might be a series of videos out there.

Ah here we go, I know him personally because he trained me. :cool:

All very boring this now thankfully Cheltenham is on soon and the peta crowd can cry into their lettuce
    Attitudes like this will kill the sport

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Those guilty should be punished. Heavily.

But the vast majority of people in the game treat horses with the utmost love and respect. These people and the industry should not be tarnished by actions of small minority.

Its grand they can just move the jumps to China

Morgans wrote: »
    Guess they know that there might be a series of videos out there.

Absolutely, the industry must know about this a long time and I am sure there are plenty similar types of videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

The silence from the horse racing fraternity, from the time the photo was leaked to when it was confirmed as real, was very telling. It was a tumbleweed moment on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

jackboy wrote: »
    When you see this written down it just emphasises how ridiculous the media attention over this is. This incident alone is nothing more than someone acting the clown. Yeah, it may be described as disgusting and offensive but it is in no way an animal welfare issue.

Can you explain how “it is in no way an animal welfare issue”? The horse died while under his care, the animal welfare board are now involved and are literally checking his yard to make sure the welfare of each horse is up to scratch.

I’m no genius, but I think it’s safe to say it can be classed as a welfare issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    The silence from the horse racing fraternity, from the time the photo was leaked to when it was confirmed as real, was very telling. It was a tumbleweed moment on twitter.

Would be hard to come out and say anything before it was confirmed to be real, tbf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Fran has a bone

I feel sorry for that jockey from Wexford jockeys only young and amateur and he's lost everything, people looking to destroy people for the thrill of it.

Twitter/media are so horrible just encourage pile ons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Anniepowaaa

Ha it'll never be stopped there's bullfighting still in Spain, what will we do with all these horses that have no use when racing is stopped :rolleyes:

From what I know of racing and yards from acquaintances, the horses are treated much better than humans there and if there is any "cruelty" it's to the yard workers and younger jockeys.

I feel sorry for that jockey from Wexford jockeys only young and amateur and he's lost everything, people looking to destroy people for the thrill of it.

Twitter/media are so horrible just encourage pile ons.

I don't, he works in the industry, the horses are his livelihood, he was stone cold sober, he knew he was being videoed, he deserves all he gets.

Motivator wrote: »
    Can you explain how “it is in no way an animal welfare issue”? The horse died while under his care, the animal welfare board are now involved and are literally checking his yard to make sure the welfare of each horse is up to scratch.

I’m no genius, but I think it’s safe to say it can be classed as a welfare issue.

He is in trouble because he got his picture taken while posing on a dead horse, nothing more. There is a pile on because of the media hype. If there was no picture almost no one would give a damn about the dead horse, it would not be newsworthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

TheadoreT wrote: »
    There's a good reason a lot of industry people have gone for the juggler on him with this. The guy is an animal and has been for some time.

The poor juggler did nothing, other than learn to toss multiple items in the air and catch them. Elliott on the other hand effed up bad and that's why they have gone for the JUGULAR.

Motivator wrote: »

There isnt a stable of any reasonable size that hasnt had a horse have a heart attack on the gallops. There wont no investigation into that. If these stables have a habit of posing on the dead horse for photos it would be an issue - and could cost you your livelihood if the photos are released on the internet.

He is in trouble because he got his picture taken while posing on a dead horse, nothing more. There is a pile on because of the media hype. If there was no picture almost no one would give a damn about the dead horse, it would not be newsworthy.

If there was no picture how would we know about it.

Ha it'll never be stopped there's bullfighting still in Spain, what will we do with all these horses that have no use when racing is stopped :rolleyes:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/455274/number-of-bullfighting-events-and-other-bull-festivals-events-in-spain/

Im amazed that people cant see the decline of National Hunt racing coming. People are so arrogant that they are actually hastening the decline of the sport, instead of looking to engage, sort it out and prolong it.

I'm not involved with the sport but it's clear it's only a minority of animal rights activists that talk or want the sport killed.

I've been involved and followed Boxing for many years though and this topic about killing the sport comes up often there too and the sport is not going anywhere and is much more brutal and corrupt.

• Advertisement

Would be hard to come out and say anything before it was confirmed to be real, tbf

It wouldn't be hard to say anything if you knew that there was no way the photo was real. That's the point. The silence spoke volumes to what people really think GE is capable of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

wrote:

The fighting video or the horses being injected video..... decisions decisions

I wonder which it will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Shemale wrote: »
    Ah here we go, I know him personally because he trained me. :cool:

Did he ever give you a nipple cripple while getting up on a horse?

You really don't get it. How could someone like GE care for this horse when he's alive and then suddenly disrespect this horse when he's dead. You don't become devoid of feelings for an animal when it dies. If anything you treat the animal with more dignity.

If there was no picture how would we know about it.

Do you know how many racehorses die in Ireland each year. Everyone knows this, you don’t need a picture. Almost no one cares. People like being appalled and piling on individuals, that is what is going on here.

Why are people trying to make excuses for them.

People are guilty. Punish them for what they did. Move on.

I don't, he works in the industry, the horses are his livelihood, he was stone cold sober, he knew he was being videoed, he deserves all he gets.

You sound like a nasty person like many animal rights lunatics. What do you mean he deserve what he gets, what does he deserve in your view ?

If he couldn't handle his career crumbling and all the horrific abuse and decided to end his life would you be happy? Would you have any empathy at all for him and what about his family?

Why do you and your ilk feel the need to pour out so much hatred and negative energy to an amateur jockey that made a stupid mistake?

The horses are dead, some of you are just looking to destroy other humans for the thrill. It's disgusting and sinister

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭I says

Horses move all the time, Gigginstown sent all theirs to Gordon, I don't remember seeing you posting about the poor lads and lasses in Mullins yard

Willie wasn’t long restocking. Something Elliot won’t get the chance to do.

Morgans wrote: »
    I dont know him but watching Barry Geraghty on Off The Fence who rides out for him - talks about the surprise and the damage for Gordon and racing in general.

What he doesnt say is that this episode is something that is out of character for Gordon Elliot, or anything like that. Its the last thing I'd expect etc. In fact, no one has. Guess they know that there might be a series of videos out there.

What do you mean out of character? Elliott didnt rip the horses heart out with his bare hands and start eating it. Fair enough if the horse died because of being mistreated by Gordon but the horse passed away from a heart attack if we are to believe the reports. The picture looks awful, but this happened in a split second and now you have some going on like hes the coming of the anti-christ its mental the attention this is getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

jakiah wrote: »
    what about what about what about

Black kids, Afghanistan, dwarf tossing, sheik mohammed, Iraq, JP & Barry Connell, O'Leary, Henderson, Labaik, Joe Duffy, Tracy Piggot, 41 posts of complete waffle from you in this thread with exactly one mention of the thread topic where you tell us you cannot see what the fuss is about.

Youre a gas man.

Wow! You mean you went through all my posts, made notes, and then posted the above. I feel like the guy who turns up at the party empty handed! I mean I don't believe I even read 1 of your posts fully. Well done, keep it up and I might even send you an autograph.

• Advertisement

You sound like a nasty person like many animal rights lunatics. What do you mean he deserve what he gets, what does he deserve in your view ?

If he couldn't handle his career crumbling and all the horrific abuse and decided to end his life would you be happy? Would you have any empathy at all for him and what about his family?

Why do you and your ilk feel the need to pour out so much hatred and negative energy to an amateur jockey that made a stupid mistake?

The horses are dead, some of you are just looking to destroy other humans for the thrill. It's disgusting and sinister

One year ban.

Playing the mental health card here is not right.

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Why are people trying to make excuses for them.

People are guilty. Punish them for what they did. Move on.

Guilty of what?

Guilty of what?

Guilty of inappropriate treatment of dead horses. Is that even up for debate?

Do you know how many racehorses die in Ireland each year. Everyone knows this, you don’t need a picture. Almost no one cares. People like being appalled and piling on individuals, that is what is going on here.

Exactly. They careless about dead horses, it's about a pile on and destroying other humans lives for a cheap thrill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

https://www.statista.com/statistics/455274/number-of-bullfighting-events-and-other-bull-festivals-events-in-spain/

Im amazed that people cant see the decline of National Hunt racing coming. People are so arrogant that they are actually hastening the decline of the sport, instead of looking to engage, sort it out and prolong it.
    Bullfighting and National Hunt racing are not connected activities.
    One is in Spain and has bulls, the other is in GB & IRE and has horses.

The decline you mention is imaginary.

Number of broodmares in GB & IRE (flat & jumps)
    1978 ... 15,862
    1981 ... 16,585
    1984 ... 16,782
    1987 ... 17,882
    1990 ... 20,910
    1993 ... 23,320
    1996 ... 22,662
    1999 ... 24,281
    2002 ... 28,867
    2005 ... 30,764
    2008 ... 30,338
    2013 ... 23,360 ... financial crash in 2009
    2016 ... 23,896

Guilty of inappropriate treatment of dead horses. Is that even up for debate?

I’m guilty of eating too much chocolate tonight.

Sometimes, using the word ‘guilty’ is a bit over the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

We'll have to start handing out the tinfoil hats soon

And the fireworks.

One year ban.

Mental health is not a card it's real and destroying a young amateur jockeys career in a pile on will leave that man in not a great place.

You gain nothing only a false sense of moral superiority. Far worse happens in every village and townland of Ireland everyday so get some perspective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

One year ban.

Is that what Gordon got?

• Advertisement

What do you mean out of character? Elliott didnt rip the horses heart out with his bare hands and start eating it. Fair enough if the horse died because of being mistreated by Gordon but the horse passed away from a heart attack if we are to believe the reports. The picture looks awful, but this happened in a split second and now you have some going on like hes the coming of the anti-christ its mental the attention this is getting.

No.

Advertisement