Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gordon Elliott

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

KaneToad wrote: »
    I'm sure by now most people have heard the reason behind why such an old picture has now surfaced.

I don't get the hysteria. The horse was already dead. He sat on it either taking the mickey or genuinely on the phone (as per his statement). Neither of which are crimes. I guess he doesn't have the 'love' of the horses that others do. He's all about the money for him/his owners. Nothing wrong with that. Some people seem to think he should have been distraught at the death of the horse.

The picture should never have been circulated. That's the real problem.

And this is the main problem with Irish Racing, keep everything internal and pretend everyone is great and not doping and not taking the piss out of the animals that are their livelyhood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

Shemale wrote: »
    Of course he would be punished. He breached the rules he signed up to.

Nonsense. If he is punished it will be for PR reasons only.

Allinall wrote: »
    Was the dead horses family around to witness the dastardly event?

Did he say the dead family were in the undertakers?

The sheer bad luck of being caught out the only time he broke from his saintly duties. What are the odds eh

He posed for a picture, hardly caught out.

He was a rep for Betfair, had media days, interviewed at races, he knows cameras can permanently capture someone being a moron for 10 seconds and he did it.

KaneToad wrote: »
    I'm sure by now most people have heard the reason behind why such an old picture has now surfaced.

I don't get the hysteria. The horse was already dead. He sat on it either taking the mickey or genuinely on the phone (as per his statement). Neither of which are crimes. I guess he doesn't have the 'love' of the horses that others do. He's all about the money for him/his owners. Nothing wrong with that. Some people seem to think he should have been distraught at the death of the horse.

The picture should never have been circulated. That's the real problem.
    The "hysteria" is that horse racing's PR is almost entirely based on everyone loving the horses. The answer to "cruelty" charges when horses die is always "they are loved and treated like kings, better than people, and we are all devastated".

Now this might be nonsense (I think most are a bit upset and annoyed when a horse dies, even matter of fact about it, which is fair enough) but "we love horses" is the shield racing uses. This picture, and the video of the jockey, almost fatally undermines (time will tell) this PR.

If the PR fails horse racing will be destroyed in Ireland and the UK. Sponsorship will be pulled, as will govt funding. And there are enough battles ahead anyway, just wait until attention is paid to the financial madness at the Curragh Racecourse, racing has been blessed that the Childrens Hospital has been such a feck up!

I work in a large organization. When the greyhound stuff broke, in work we could no longer organize nights out at the dogs. Usually we would go to a fair few horse race meetings (for work of course :o) throughout the year. Just today I spent a fair chunk of time doing damage control over this in work saying that it will be all be OK by next year (someone wanted to pull the budget we have for this). If Elliott does not get destroyed with everyone saying how horrified and beyond the pale this is, along with a massive ban, I do not think I will win this argument. Needless to say my long term plotting to sponsor a race is shelved :mad::mad::mad: My workplace is not the only one having these conversations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

jackboy wrote: »

I dont think you are getting in, or perhaps, not getting it deiiberately. Its not directy about horse welfare, it is about money. The only thing between the racing industry and the animal rights groups is the idea that horses are well treated. By being caught front and centre giving all evidence that animal rights groups need, he is costing the industry financially and reputationally. He will need to be sanctioned for that. Dont get caught disrespecting your horses, dead or alive.

So, yes, its PR, but its PR that is central to the horse racing industry. The idea that its some twitter pile on that is getting him banned is off the ****ing plantation stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Lastest disturbing photo... Oh the horsemainity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

Did he say the dead family were in the undertakers?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

I think he is being punished since the photo was put out there . He is blackened for ever by this and I think he will suffer further in future with people slow to have him as their trainer.

On a personal level I feel sorry for him as it’s a huge price to pay for what he has done ..

Also it’s very unfair on all his staff that must work so hard to have such a successful yard and people should maybe think of those people too who could be out of a job ..

No point in going over what everyone else thinks as I think what he done was stupid , maybe bordering on childish but I honestly don’t want to see the man ruined because of it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

costacorta wrote: »
    I think he is being punished since the photo was put out there . He is blackened for ever by this and I think he will suffer further in future with people slow to have him as their trainer.

On a personal level I feel sorry for him as it’s a huge price to pay for what he has done ..

Also it’s very unfair on all his staff that must work so hard to have such a successful yard and people should maybe think of those people too who could be out of a job ..

No point in going over what everyone else thinks as I think what he done was stupid , maybe bordering on childish but I honestly don’t want to see the man ruined because of it ..

He will still be training horses like before. Not as many and not as high profile. Hope he recovers. They will probably not race in his name at cheltenham but the six months (Im guessing) will pass.

Nobody doubts he (or the jockey) were moronic.

Personally, I have done moronic stuff all my life.

Have I committed crimes? No. Have I mistreated animals? No.

A bit of perspective please.

If you worked in racing that is constantly under pressure from animal rights groups, if you got your training licence from a Horse Racing Board with codes of conduct, rules and regulations to protect the sport. Would you pose for picture that if made public would force the licencing organisation to take action against your livelihood?

That is perspective for you.

I really don't get what you don't understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

Morgans wrote: »
    I dont think you are getting in, or perhaps, not getting it deiiberately. Its not directy about horse welfare, it is about money. The only thing between the racing industry and the animal rights groups is the idea that horses are well treated. By being caught front and centre giving all evidence that animal rights groups need, he is costing the industry financially and reputationally. He will need to be sanctioned for that. Dont get caught disrespecting your horses, dead or alive.

So, yes, its PR, but its PR that is central to the horse racing industry. The idea that its some twitter pile on that is getting him banned is off the ****ing plantation stupid.

That’s pretty much what I was saying.

That’s pretty much what I was saying.

Great. He knows what's coming. A year will be harsh and three months too lenient.

• Advertisement

Exactly - its up to them, not half the country.

What in tooting hell are you on about, I never said it was

Nonsense, it's in their rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

Members only! You might want to copy & paste.

Basically said he wasn't worried about himself, its the employees in the yard he feels sorry for. And he hopes Envoi Allen goes on to win a GC for Henry. At least he is getting some better advice the last two evenings on what to say, compared to the disastrous initial statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

radharc wrote: »
    Basically said he wasn't worried about himself, its the employees in the yard he feels sorry for. And he hopes Envoi Allen goes on to win a GC for Henry. At least he is getting some better advice the last two evenings on what to say, compared to the disastrous initial statement.

Be some job losses from this alright. Nobody thinks of these consequences when they want a yard to fold over a silly mistake.

radharc wrote: »

PR PR PR, he only gives a **** about himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

PR PR PR, he only gives a **** about himself.

How do you know this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

lalababa wrote: »

The George floyd one? There is having a joke and all but that is really just stupid carry on

MOD edit
    No need to respond to personal comments

Labaik wrote: »
    Be some job losses from this alright. Nobody thinks of these consequences when they want a yard to fold over a silly mistake.

Gordon didn't think of this when he posed for a picture sitting horse killed in his yard.

Someone took the picture and someone else was just in the picture. At least 3 people were involved all presumably working there, possibly more out of shot, laughing away and it was great craic, then some of them / all of them shared this.

Of course he was going to be banned for this, in the same way James will be punished, Gordons will be shorter because he is an employer.

He sat on the horse, at least one picture was taken, the picture was shared (this is where they lost control of it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Can someone point me in the right direction as to why the picture surfaced?

Some people seem to think it comes from a scorned ex-girlfriend.

But a lot of the material is coming from a Twitter parody account of the supposed scorned ex-girlfriend.

It’s highly highly unlikely she would set up a parody account of herself!

So it’s more likely to be some ex-employee who feels they’ve been done over. There is definitely a hatchet job going on. Whether there’s anything more to come, time will tell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

https://twitter.com/ecomm365/status/1366862803705987077

For every sponsor pulling out of deals there are many more potential sponsors saying that want nothing to do with horse racing.

But sure, I must be full of crap says one lad here.

What's this, a new photo?

https://twitter.com/ecomm365/status/1366862803705987077

For every sponsor pulling out of deals there are many more potential sponsors saying that want nothing to do with horse racing.

But sure, I must be full of crap says one lad here.

That is Noel Morans company

Gordon didn't think of this when he posed for a picture sitting horse killed in his yard.

Someone took the picture and someone else was just in the picture. At least 3 people were involved all presumably working there, possibly more out of shot, laughing away and it was great craic, then some of them / all of them shared this.

Of course he was going to be banned for this, in the same way James will be punished, Gordons will be shorter because he is an employer.

He sat on the horse, at least one picture was taken, the picture was shared (this is where they lost control of it)

If you think he went out of his way to pose for the picture on the dead horse your very naive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Davy Russell is on prime time shortly. Obviously I don't know what he's going to say but he is a sound man and I would believe and respect whatever he says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Davy Russell is on prime time shortly. Obviously I don't know what he's going to say but he is a sound man and I would believe and respect whatever he says.

Hopefully calls for an end to the hysteria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

If you think he went out of his way to pose for the picture on the dead horse your very naive.

It’s as obvious as the day is long that he posed.
    Unless he was sitting on the poor horse in the first place he had to go out of his way, it’s not like he was just leaning against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

Noel Moran's off to Noel Meade

Do you think it is better that he sat on a dead horse with a camera pointing at him and then he posed for it?

Either way he is the boss man and he could have asked to have the picture deleted, except he seemed to be having a great time.

TheadoreT wrote: »

Where did you see that, there was a rumour he was off to Cromwells

Seve OB wrote: »
    It’s as obvious as the day is long that he posed.
    Unless he was sitting on the poor horse in the first place he had to go out of his way, it’s not like he was just leaning against it.

Of course he posed for it, but he didnt say "here lads get a camera out and ill jump on this thing and give it the large one for the camera" did he ****. His own excuse in his statement sounds alot more plausible than what you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

TheadoreT wrote: »

Moran is hardly that foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

lemush wrote: »
    Moran is hardly that foolish.

He is. Look at the money he’s blowing. About €3m on horses in the last 18 months, €3m+ setting up his stud and he spunked €10m on a castle about 6 weeks ago.

• Advertisement

Where did you see that, there was a rumour he was off to Cromwells

Loading as we speak.

Motivator wrote: »
    He is. Look at the money he’s blowing. About €3m on horses in the last 18 months, €3m+ setting up his stud and he spunked €10m on a castle about 6 weeks ago.

He is worth about €250M and starting out in the game.

Primetime now, Davy Russell just started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Motivator wrote: »

Unbelievable, of all the yards in the country and they send them there. Not to mind the fact I wouldn't want Flanagan ridng my rocking horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Ah Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

Davy stumbling through this interview on Primetime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

munster87 wrote: »
    Davy stumbling through this interview on Primetime

That fall has really affected him

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Don't think that interview helped much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Weird interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Moon Dice

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Don't think that interview helped much.

No it wasn't great to be fair

That noel meade story official now, don't say you don't get exclusives here folks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement