Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gordon Elliott

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

First time poster here, and not interested in horse racing. But do understand a bit about optics and perception.

If this had been a doctor smiling, being photographed over a dead patient, we would probably all agree that they should be removed from the role. No hospital would want to be associated with the reputational damage. There would always be questions about the quality of care at the hands of that person. It may have been a moment of madness, but the repercussions run far too deeply and effect too many people to be ignored.

This is a far bigger issue than the damage to one person's reputation, or a mistake that they may have made. In isolation he should forgiven. But his error of judgement was a FU to his industry, the thousands that work in it, racing fans, critics of the sport, to simple decency and the standards we expect of professionals.

For that he should be held accountable at the highest level.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

That’s what’s all over Twitter. We’ll see. Only yesterday they said as part of their Tiger Roll statement:

We hope he will run next as planned in the cross-country race at Cheltenham, where we hope he will enjoy himself and run well

So that was after the BHA ban.

That would be a quick change of mind. Which of course is very possible.

Yeah twitter a cesspool at the moment, Noel Meade has denied getting the Moran's horses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Eddie O leary rumoured to have announced on some preview night that no Giggenstown horses to run in the UK for the forseeable future.

****e

If that's true then Gigginstown are sending out a loud message re double standards in the BHA.

If that's true then Gigginstown are sending out a loud message re double standards in the BHA.

I'm sure the BHA will be devastated to hear that none of gigginstown's current collection of plodding handicappers are intending to travel.

MOL is about to discover he is not bigger than racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

I’d imagine a 6 month suspension is ballpark what he will get, along with a fine.

The IHRB’s snail pace (which is just the way they work because they’re not a full time organisation) has led to a vacuum. Then Twitter does want Twitter does.

IHRB seem to think that meeting Friday is fast. But in today’s world, it’s just not good enough. The facts are already known. The only thing outstanding is what the punishment is. When that’s fished out everyone can get on with things.

My thinking would be he will get a short ban, at that it will have to be negotiated with him as the rule he has breached may not necessitate him having to be banned.. basically he brought the sport into disrepute. So if he fought it he could most likely walk away with nothing more than a fine. They’ll have to find an out for him because when the dust settles and the next moral panic comes along what he did was ignorant, arrogant and disrespectful to horses and his sport, does he deserve ruination for being bone headed.. certainly not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭irish_major

Yeah twitter a cesspool at the moment, Noel Meade has denied getting the Moran's horses.

I don't know why people are getting so upset about whether it's been announced or not - the morans cut their sponsorship from Elliot. Obviously they will be removing their horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

I don't know why people are getting so upset about whether it's been announced or not - the morans cut their sponsorship from Elliot. Obviously they will be removing their horses.

Are people getting upset?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I'm sure the BHA will be devastated to hear that none of gigginstown's current collection of plodding handicappers are intending to travel.

Is he not easing his way out anyhow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

"plodding handicappers" I'd say you're big into horse racing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

First time poster here, and not interested in horse racing. But do understand a bit about optics and perception.

If this had been a doctor smiling, being photographed over a dead patient, we would probably all agree that they should be removed from the role. No hospital would want to be associated with the reputational damage. There would always be questions about the quality of care at the hands of that person. It may have been a moment of madness, but the repercussions run far too deeply and effect too many people to be ignored.

This is a far bigger issue than the damage to one person's reputation, or a mistake that they may have made. In isolation he should forgiven. But his error of judgement was a FU to his industry, the thousands that work in it, racing fans, critics of the sport, to simple decency and the standards we expect of professionals.

For that he should be held accountable at the highest level.

absolute nonsense. your comaprison between a doctor treating HUMANS and a horse trainer training his animals is ridiculous.

we all know whats going on here..a disgruntled employee or jilted ex lover has decided to post a photo of GE sitting on a horse without any context in a bid to riun GE career and his personal life out of pure malice.

What GE done was wrong and he has admitted that. (honestly)

GE did not personally cause harm to the horse. (horses die of all sorts/nautral death).

what GE done was unprofessional and disrespectful to both the horse and owners of the animal. and they and many other will think again when looking for a trainer for horses in the future.

a six month ban and €100K fine would be the appropriate action to take by the authorities.

• Advertisement

"plodding handicappers" I'd say you're big into horse racing :D

It's just a fact, for the first time in years I can't think of a single gigginstown horse other than tiger roll whose withdrawal seriously weakens a Cheltenham race. And even Tiger Roll is debatable.

There may be a couple but they don't spring to mind. Do they have any favs or 2nd favs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Nozebleed wrote: »
    a photo of GE sitting on a horse without any context

Has anyone come up with a context that would make it better?

Both sides of this are hysterical, the guy will get fined/suspended and lose a lot of cash and that's the height of it. This isn't nothing and he doesn't deserve to get lynched either.

hots wrote: »
    Has anyone come up with a context that would make it better?

Both sides of this are hysterical, the guy will get fined/suspended and lose a lot of cash and that's the height of it. This isn't nothing and he doesn't deserve to get lynched either.

Well I thought his explanation was very plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

No their company removed sponsorship of Elliott's yard which is very different from them personally removing their horses which run in their own names!!!

Well I thought his explanation was very plausible.

I don't think it added anything to what you can see in the picture? Unless his explanation was he was trying to give it chest compressions by bouncing up and down on it while on the phone to the vet there's nothing to make the situation any better, it's pretty clear what's happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Kauto wrote: »
    No their company removed sponsorship of Elliott's yard which is very different from them personally removing their horses which run in their own names!!!

It isn’t really that different though let’s be honest. There’s a commercial agreement in place for them to sponsor the yard. They terminated the contract due to “ongoing issues” or whatever way they phrased it. Noel Moran is a guy who’s making his way in the sport, he’s not battle-hardened like Michael O’ Leary and although he’s probably as loyal as anyone to Gordon, I think the weight of public perception will weigh heavy and he’ll move on. This is a guy who’s also trying to establish a serious, serious stud operation. Does he need the hassle or the stigma of being attached to Elliott? No he doesn’t. The horses will have to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Didn't Moran sell his company to an Australian crowd? It might not have been his decision to make re ending the sponsorship.

hots wrote: »
    I don't think it added anything to what you can see in the picture? Unless his explanation was he was trying to give it chest compressions by bouncing up and down on it while on the phone to the vet there's nothing to make the situation any better, it's pretty clear what's happened.

Ha
    I wonder how the pic got out? Knives definitely out for him, I’m no expert but taking a passing interest I can think of other instances of actions by people in the game that didn't receive this level of scrutiny, didn’t a jockey rabbit punch a horse recently ? Then there was Teddy Walsh thinking he'd lost a shoe, then found it again, then tried to lose it again? Spade a spade, horse racing isn’t really a paradigm of honesty. Part of the interest for me has always been the characters and tricks they get up to

Ha
    I wonder how the pic got out? Knives definitely out for him, I’m no expert but taking a passing interest I can think of other instances of actions by people in the game that didn't receive this level of scrutiny, didn’t a jockey rabbit punch a horse recently ? Then there was Teddy Walsh thinking he'd lost a shoe, then found it again, then tried to lose it again? Spade a spade, horse racing isn’t really a paradigm of honesty. Part of the interest for me has always been the characters and tricks they get up to

Oh 'someone' has definitely released it at a time to do the most damage and will be delighted at the coverage for sure, and totally agree there's all sorts of shadiness that is accepted, I think for most people this one is just totally unthinkable... At least the other stuff is to get an advantage or something. This is just completely un-understandable for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

That is rubbish about Moran moving horses, it was all over twitter he was gone to Meades.

He release this https://twitter.com/RacingPost/status/1367030686339772419

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Ted Walsh on RTE1 radio next actually talking a bit of sense

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

Only seeing Davys interview now, cringeworthy stuff. Inarticulate, stuttering nonsense from someone confused and saddened by the modern world. He might as well just as said 'we used to be able to do whatever we wanted but it turns out theres cameras on phones now'. Sounds like he picked up his talking points from some of the lads on here.

The longer this goes on the more it looks endemic to industry culture instead of an outlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mistermiyagi

Given all the outrage against Elliott I never realised we had so many vegetarians in this country. Would wonder how any meat producer makes any business.

And when I see the likes of Betfair, a bookmaker, taking a moral high ground. Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Alanm2020

Shemale wrote: »
    That is rubbish about Moran moving horses, it was all over twitter he was gone to Meades.

He release this https://twitter.com/RacingPost/status/1367030686339772419

Not moved as of yet there was plenty of discussions taking place yesterday and a lot of to-ing and fro-ing with regards to who had the capability to take in all of his horses at once. An inspection of Noel Meade and Gavin Cromwell was done by ML yesterday and full logistics are yet to be worked out it's not as easy to move horses as it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

Good interview from Ted Walsh, badly needed

Alanm2020 wrote: »
    Not moved as of yet there was plenty of discussions taking place yesterday and a lot of to-ing and fro-ing with regards to who had the capability to take in all of his horses at once. An inspection of Noel Meade and Gavin Cromwell was done by ML yesterday and full logistics are yet to be worked out it's not as easy to move horses as it seems.

Who is ML, that is the complete opposite of what I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭th hen

I hope this makes elliott come back to reality a bit and a bit of grounding for him. He may now learn to treat all his owners equally whether syndicate or grade 1s . It's the syndicate and the single lad with one horse who will stay with him after all is said and done as there not pressurised by public opinion into leaving think in case of damaging there own pr image. When olly murphy left I think gordon lost his connection between small and big owners. He only seemed to have time for the 130+ horses

Who is ML, that is the complete opposite of what I heard.

Michael Lynam stud manager for The Moran's at Bective. What have you heard ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

CH3OH wrote: »

Ted was good. Should have had him on prime time last night rather than Russell

• Advertisement

Michael Lynam stud manager for The Moran's at Bective. What have you heard ?

He is standing by Elliott

He is standing by Elliott

Soon will see who's right or wrong ðŸ‘

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

It’s on the journal that moran has terminated his contract with Elliot

Soon will see who's right or wrong ðŸ‘

He is hardly going to make a clown of himself by sending out a statement saying the horses haven't moved and then do exactly that!

He is best out of the game as he is going to lose a vast amount of his wealth over the next 5 years. Buying overpriced donkey after donkey.

It’s on the journal that moran has terminated his contract with Elliot

His former company has terminated its contract. Very different to him in which ownership his horses run.

He is hardly going to make a clown of himself by sending out a statement saying the horses haven't moved and then do exactly that!

He is best out of the game as he is going to lose a vast amount of his wealth over the next 5 years. Buying overpriced donkey after donkey.

Ridiculous, you don't go from nothing to a few hundred million in your arse pocket by being terrible with money.

• Advertisement

His former company has terminated its contract. Very different to him in which ownership his horses run.

His former company is prepaid financial services. His latest one if Ecomm Merchant solutions who have ceased sponsorship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Moran has ceased yard sponsorship and horses will remain with Elliot pending Fridays investigation according to the wireless

Noel is the CEO of eComm, PFS is the company he sold.

Ridiculous, you don't go from nothing to a few hundred million in your arse pocket by being terrible with money.

Plenty have been gelded over the years!! He will lose a fair amount of money over the next 5 years.
    Smart business people seem to lose all sense when it comes to horses. Look at Wylie, out of the game altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Morans probably have a shed load of bitcoins, they're grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Don't know if anybody was listening to Ted Walsh on Claire Byrne show about 30mins ago.

It was an excellent and balanced interview... where he expertly batted away the hysterical stuff from Byrne.

He is the first person (I have heard) who reminded us that Gordon Elliot is probably in a very precarious mental state right now....and above all to mind himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

CH3OH wrote: »

What did he say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

batman75 wrote: »
    The man sat on a deceased animal, smiled while his picture was taken. The whole thing is odious. The only nasty person is Elliott. He has taken himself down. It was a monstrous thing to do and he deserves the book to be thrown at him.
    Horse racing has been a source of national pride. Elliott himself has been a highly successful trainer. It beggars belief that he did this. The optics for the racing industry here are terrible. As was his initial explanatory statement. He has destroyed his reputation.

What term would you use to describe a serial killer or a child murderer if your bar for monstrous is a lad sitting on a dead horse (desperately poor form though it is)?

Just interested to see the boundaries of the English language.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

robbiezero wrote: »
    What term would you use to describe a serial killer or a child murderer if your bar for monstrous is a lad sitting on a dead horse (desperately poor form though it is)?

Just interested to see the boundaries of the English language.

Monstrous holy ****ing jaysus christ almighty is this what the human race has come to :D A bunch of snowflakes who have done no wrong in there lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Plenty have been gelded over the years!! He will lose a fair amount of money over the next 5 years.
    Smart business people seem to lose all sense when it comes to horses. Look at Wylie, out of the game altogether.
    I tend to agree with this. What worked in one business may be inapplicable in another.
    In horse racing the product is not a standardised product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

dmn22 wrote: »
    Between this photo, stories of allegedly getting a certain someone in the horse-racing world pregnant and also allegedly having regular parties in the bar on his stables during lockdown, it’s starting to look like he may be a Grade A pr*ck.

is he?

is he popular amongst the racing fraternity or is he seen as a d!ckhead ?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

fryup wrote: »
    is he?

As the saying goes never bite the hand that feeds you .I think GE has gone off the rails a bit recently and even listening to Ted W on RTÉ earlier he more or less said he might need a bit of time away from game to get himself right .. can happen to any of us unfortunately..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

fryup wrote: »
    is he?

I'm sure he's popular amongst the horseowners who he trains winnersls for and the jockeys who he lets ride his winners.

Being popular and being a nice person are very rarely that strongly correlated in an industry where winning is a huge deciding factor in being popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

Labaik wrote: »
    Monstrous holy ****ing jaysus christ almighty is this what the human race has come to :D A bunch of snowflakes who have done no wrong in there lives.

Not only that but seem to think tearing other people to shreds mob justice style is ok. Baying for blood without restraint.

No respect for the due process that took generations to achieve. Just pile in.

All this reference to rumours and personal stuff.

We saw it with Trump in America - just sling filth at anyone who doesn't agree with you and f***em.

There's a reason why we have concepts like innocent until proven guilty, trial by jury...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

What in tooting hell are you on about, I never said it was

Never said you did. In fact I agreed with you that it was for the relevant authorities to decide the appropriate sanctions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement