Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gordon Elliott

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

fryup wrote: »
    is he?

is he popular amongst the racing fraternity or is he seen as a d!ckhead ?

Who’d notice another d!!ckhead around there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Not only that but seem to think tearing other people to shreds mob justice style is ok. Baying for blood without restraint.

No respect for the due process that took generations to achieve. Just pile in.

All this reference to rumours and personal stuff.

We saw it with Trump in America - just sling filth at anyone who doesn't agree with you and f***em.

There's a reason why we have concepts like innocent until proven guilty, trial by jury...
    I don't think this kind of issue requires a trial by jury, but accusations of a criminal nature have been posted on Facebook and Twitter. This is probably feeding the frenzy and I don't know if the Gardaí are involved or if he's lawyering up and looking to deal with slanderous activities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

fryup wrote:
    is he popular amongst the racing fraternity or is he seen as a d!ckhead ?
    He's not liked by a lot of people in the racing community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Elliott is an ass and only has himself to blame for the sheer stupidity of this. I personally find him very unlikable.

However, the rage enveloping all of this is way over the top.

I would seriously hope this whole episode doesn't keep a few posters awake at night, because if it does they have bigger things to be worrying about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Elliott is the boss of the yard.

As the boss, getting involved with sh!te like that is beyond stupid. You’d give out to a child for poking at a dead crow with a stick.

It’s like he wants to remain one of “the lads”.

That being said, some of the stuff posted on twitter is beyond crazy.

You know exactly who the culprits are, lads who change their twitter bios to #bekind and French flags on their Facebook photo.

All one big race to the bottom to show how outraged they are and to get those likes. Nothing beats those twitter likes.

What EXACTLY do they want to happen to Elliott?

Michael O Leary is coming out of this as a voice of reason...let Elliott be punished but Jesus can we have a bit of balance. O’Leary has a load of horses with the man and he’s happy that they are treated excellently.

Elliott will deserve his punishment but the likes of the BHA and all the animal rights headbangers can get f*cked because they are only using this to further their own agendas and couldn’t care less about who gets hurt.

Also, I’d love to see all the critics open up their own phone/internet history and see who can *really* throw stones at the man.

Summary: Elliott is an idiot, but people need to calm the **** down.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

Not only that but seem to think tearing other people to shreds mob justice style is ok. Baying for blood without restraint.

No respect for the due process that took generations to achieve. Just pile in.

All this reference to rumours and personal stuff.

We saw it with Trump in America - just sling filth at anyone who doesn't agree with you and f***em.

There's a reason why we have concepts like innocent until proven guilty, trial by jury...

Again, this stems from a picture of a leading national hunt trainer sitting on a horse which has just died on the gallops, gurning and posing like a twat. He has already released a statement (albeit belatedly) owning it and apologising for his behaviour. The only 'due process' here is the meeting on Friday which will decide the appropriate punishment for someone creating huge damage to racing with his ridiculous, callous behaviour.

Im not sure if you think comparing Gordo to Donald Trump is somehow helping, it isn't. Its quite simple - don't be a ****.

Who's getting carried away though? Twitter people? They should be ignored.

There's as much outrage about what people are saying on Twitter as the outraged clan on Twitter themselves.

Pay attention to the main figures in Horse Racing who have had their say. If you take away the social media aspect you get a better picture, i.e., Elliot made a mistake, a big one. He will be deservedly punished.

There's probably people on social media wishing things on Elliot that is far worse than what he actually did ! Actually, there most certainly is. It's a cesspit for a lot of unhappy people imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

It's just a fact, for the first time in years I can't think of a single gigginstown horse other than tiger roll whose withdrawal seriously weakens a Cheltenham race. And even Tiger Roll is debatable.

There may be a couple but they don't spring to mind. Do they have any favs or 2nd favs?

Ah stop, I really don't wish to embarress you any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

One aspect that intrigues me is that racing as a whole is forced to rush out and claim that what happened with Elliott and James is not typical of the training and riding scene. Surely that would be the clear and sensible starting assumption.
    In all kinds of professions one finds individuals who behave abominably but the whole profession is not pilloried as a result...e.g. doctors and nurses have killed patients but no one suggests that medicine is full of murdering lunatics , priests and teachers have abused pupils etc. but we don't have to hear repeated protestations that the vast majority of clergy and teachers are dedicated and conscientious in the performance of their duties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/cat/leather-coated-fabric-chaise-longues-10694/

new item to be added: The Morgan range, stuffed with horse hair and finished in horse hide, with keratin castors

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭batman75

boardise wrote: »
    One aspect that intrigues me is that racing as a whole is forced to rush out and claim that what happened with Elliott and James is not typical of the training and riding scene. Surely that would be the clear and sensible starting assumption.
    In all kinds of professions one finds individuals who behave abominably but the whole profession is not pilloried as a result...e.g. doctors and nurses have killed patients but no one suggests that medicine is full of murdering lunatics , priests and teachers have abused pupils etc. but we don't have to hear repeated protestations that the vast majority of clergy and teachers are dedicated and conscientious in the performance of their duties.

Racing gets a lot of Government money so they need to put out PR fires as quickly as they can so as to not lose funding. Elliott's photograph are a PR disaster for racing in Ireland and its image internationally.

What would Gordon Elliott do to an employee if they were the one sitting on the dead horse and the picture got out into general circulation?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭th hen

Mod edit

Whats app rumours? Comon, that's serious allegations

Not my allegation but there is a new what's app photo going round of that . Only asking has anyone else seen it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭irish_major

In fairness the entire country is laughing at how much money the Morans are spending on horses and some of the purchasers associated with Elliots yard would have checkered enough reputations so I'm sure they're all screwing the Morans at every available opportunity.

I don't like Gordon but I feel quite sorry for him for the abuse he's receiving. No-one should have to suffer the abuse he's taken this week. There needs to be a hefty punishment but then that should be it - let the man be after that. Hopefully he'll clean up his act a bit after all this too and remove himself for some of his entourage.

th hen wrote: »
    Not my allegation but there is a new what's app photo going round of that . Only asking has anyone else seen it

It is your allegation! You are the one posting it on a public forum.

Maybe Russell was onto something when he was banging on about communications technology being some kind of black art that mere rural people cannot hope to understand

jakiah wrote: »

Maybe Russell was onto something when he was banging on about communications technology being some kind of black art that mere rural people cannot hope to understand

Don't worry if going around in whatsapp like original photo it will reach far further than the boards community !

It's your allegation on here though, so now it's linked to you. Just saying.

Ah lads.

What happened to all the videos that were definitely coming out last night? That's right, nothing happened because it was all Walter Mitty internet waffle

• Advertisement

Alanm2020 wrote: »
    This the one your on about

That whatsapp is in circulation alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I see the parody KH Twitter account (which was not KH!) that released many of the images and rumours seems to no longer exist.

No idea if the person behind it deleted it himself (posts seemed very likely to be a man IMO) or if Twitter deleted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Alanm2020

That whatsapp is in circulation alright

Yeah Ginto is the horse in question.

6 wrote: »
    It's your allegation on here though, so now it's linked to you. Just saying.

I think I'll take my chances but thanks for the concern

Are these the same "mere rural people " that pay less for house insurance car insurance, drink, mortgages, petrol, diesel, etc. than urban people? The mere rural people would buy and sell urban folk all day every day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Don't worry if going around in whatsapp like original photo it will reach far further than the boards community !

And when it does, like the original photo, we can discuss it openly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Alanm2020

Olly Murphy is supposed to be taking Moran's horses over in advance of Cheltenham with the view to returning to a stable here after it.

Are these the same "mere rural people " that pay less for house insurance car insurance, drink, mortgages, petrol, diesel, etc. than urban people? The mere rural people would buy and sell urban folk all day every day.

Oh god. Sarcasm Danny boy.

D'ye have en aul mobile yerself? Does it do d'videos?

Oh god. Sarcasm Danny boy.

D'ye have en aul mobile yerself? Does it do d'videos?

I forgot to mention parking, we really don't pay for that either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

Quite a few off topic and silly posts appearing.

Keep to the Thread topic please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Racing Post
    Gordon Elliott's suspension from having runners in Britain is unlikely to impact horses currently housed in his yard running at the Cheltenham Festival after the BHA said on Wednesday that "our intention isn't to stop horses running".

A little bit of a back down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

boardise wrote: »

Lol, so the church hasn't sufferered any negativity criticism due to the behaviour of priests? Er, not sure about that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

Ah lads.

What happened to all the videos that were definitely coming out last night? That's right, nothing happened because it was all Walter Mitty internet waffle

They were all photoshopped like the original Gordon Elliot photo was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

The whole saga is putting the jobs at the stable in jeopardy.

It may be that Elliott has to step away and for the operation to operate under a close local licence holder. Davy is heavily involved at the stable already.

Who knows what happens next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I expect it's not a one off, we'll see new footage of him coming out in next week or so I think. If a veterinarian was to pose and smile and sit on a dead horse no one would want to bring their animals to such a vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I expect it's not a one off, we'll see new footage of him coming out in next week or so I think. If a veterinarian was to pose and smile and sit on a dead horse no one would want to bring their animals to such a vet.

It won't go that far. The IHRB won't let it.

STB. wrote: »
    It won't go that far. The IHRB won't let it.

Actions like his are not a one off, it's an insight into his heart and mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Racing Post
    Gordon Elliott's suspension from having runners in Britain is unlikely to impact horses currently housed in his yard running at the Cheltenham Festival after the BHA said on Wednesday that "our intention isn't to stop horses running".

Good, the owners shouldn't be punished for this.

• Advertisement

Is there an argument to be made for Elliott voluntarily removing himself from racing in the interest of the sport? I'm not sure what he can do to repair his reputation in pursuit of remaining in racing. This photo will follow him to the end of his time. He can't defend it and when he tried initially he just put himself in a worse position PR wise.

Just listened back to Ted Walsh on Claire Byrne. He spoke very well. He looked to place what happened in context without downplaying it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Racing Post

I heard the BHA interview that Racing Post is referring to. I think Racing Post is a tad optimistic.

He did say it's not the intention to stop horses running, but at the same time, there will be no horse running at Cheltenham which has "Gordon Elliott" listed as trainer. So some workaround required.

Another key point I took from the interview was how "angry" (his words) he was with Elliott.

Ted walsh was very good in fairness on that interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Jaysus, this story is not half being dragged out. You'd swear there was nothing else happening in the country, although I suspect some of the uproar over this is just people wanting to divert their attention to something new.

A thousand posts about a man sitting on a dead horse. It has more of a feeling of flogging a dead horse tbh.

To be fair I think the supreme racing debacle as willie called it and willies vet mistake got away extremely light compared to what's happening now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

It looks bad because what he did was in very poor taste but could've been a few lads acting the eejit egging each other on. Not excusing what they did. I'm not a racing man and he did very wrong but don't think the speculated time fits the crime. There's prominent names in politics, sports, and media that flouted COVID regulations, broke the law, and explained themselves out of it. His explanation sounded terrible but at least he didn't fudge his was out of it. Gordon Elliot Racing employs a few in Cullentra and it generates a good bit of money. The local Spar gets a few quid from them and there's not many employers around Longwood. I wonder does racing not being in lockdown mean people expect higher standards from it? Punish him for a while for his stupid actions but there's no GER without GE and it will affect more than Elliot if it folds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It looks bad because what he did was in very poor taste but could've been a few lads acting the eejit egging each other on. Not excusing what they did. I'm not a racing man and he did very wrong but don't think the speculated time fits the crime. There's prominent names in politics, sports, and media that flouted COVID regulations, broke the law, and explained themselves out of it. His explanation sounded terrible but at least he didn't fudge his was out of it. Gordon Elliot Racing employs a few in Cullentra and it generates a good bit of money. The local Spar gets a few quid from them and there's not many employers around Longwood. I wonder does racing not being in lockdown mean people expect higher standards from it? Punish him for a while for his stupid actions but there's no GER without GE and it will affect more than Elliot if it folds.
    I suspect he is suffering from there being little other news outside of covid at the moment. It's either talk about the pandemic et al or take a break from that and talk about GE and his dead horse.

Ted Walsh was saying the removal of horses by owners will be a greater punishment than anything racing authorities could hand down. Talk about self exploding. Yes we can all err, make mistakes etc but their is something callous and disturbing about this that takes it outside the realm of normal mistakes/errors.

I have heard a story as to why the picture got into general circulation but I have no proof so will leave it until it is confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

batman75 wrote: »
    Ted Walsh was saying the removal of horses by owners will be a greater punishment than anything racing authorities could hand down. Talk about self exploding. Yes we can all err, make mistakes etc but their is something callous and disturbing about this that takes it outside the realm of normal mistakes/errors.

I have heard a story as to why the picture got into general circulation but I have no proof so will leave it until it is confirmed.

Have you seen a video going around about the pub in Cullentra?

Getting back to Davy Russell and his prime time interview. Something doesn't seem right about it. Davy is probably one of the more charismatic of the leading jockeys and well able to talk and get his point across. He said he was in elliot's yard yesterday so surely he spoke with ge about going on tv last night and surely they must have discussed what he was going to say. Yet Davy appeared on tv like a rabbit caught in the headlights or more worrying like a guy whose expecting a lot more to come down the track.

Have you seen a video going around about the pub in Cullentra?

I haven't no. One aspect of the picture that I hadn't thought of before. It gives off the impression that once the horse is dead Elliott doesn't care about it as it can't earn him money. He may not have meant that but that is another angle.

He would be well advised to stay off social media and say nothing. Hire a professional PR company and let them try and start the rehab of his reputation. Given the many millions he has earned off horse racing making a sizeable 6 figure donation to animal charities would be a start.

• Advertisement
Advertisement