Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gordon Elliott

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭leko99

EDIT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Lads, if you're in here to defend, excuse or whitewash what happened, just don't.
    FFS
    Just don't.

It is what it is
    He is what he is.

Who's whitewashing what happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Would an ICU doctor hop up on a covid 19 victim for a peace sign and a selfie? The act in itself was cruel and disrespectful.

& the comments just get more ridiculous by the hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Motivator wrote: »
    You know exactly who I’m talking about and it isn’t the Pipe duo.

Bottom line here is if the Irish Independent ran a front page article this morning with the photo except they changed Gordon to a tinker, the backdrop was a tInker’s yard and the tinker gave Gordon’s explanation, there would quite rightly be uproar from people from all walks of life in Ireland.

The people defending Gordon in all of this need to have a word with themselves. I’ve seen a few people come out today saying he trained horses and he’s not the type of man to do such a thing, cop on. Elliott wouldn’t give any of you the steam off his piss. If you’re a small owner in his yard you’re nothing more than a number in his secretary’s phone and a cheque in his pocket every month. Whether he trains your horse or not, right is right and wrong is wrong. And in this instance, Gordon is most definitely wrong.

He is absolutely and completely in the wrong never argued otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Do all new posters get a personal welcome from the moderator's? :confused:

I've posts in this forum that predate this moderators membership of the site.

I dont appreciate being patronised especially after receiving a card, I stand by what I've said in the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

What usually happens when trainers get a short term ban, e.g. say Elliott got a 2 month ban?

Do you have to move to another trainer to ensure your horse runs at Cheltenham and/or Aintree?

O'Leary in particular has said he accepts the apology so he'll clearly still have his horses under Elliott when his licence resumes (in the example of a 2 months ban). But O'Leary won't want his horses to miss Cheltenham, especially as he's winding down. A temporary move to another stable (would the horse literally have to move stable?) or could Elliott's number two take over?

I think his brother runs one of the yards for him and/or his assistant could take over. Of course they would need to get a license.

No surprise that from O'Leary. He's always been a massive GE backer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    I think his brother runs one of the yards for him and/or his assistant could take over. Of course they would need to get a license.

No surprise that from O'Leary. He's always been a massive GE backer.

With the winding down of Gigginstown it makes no sense to pull the horses. O'Leary had two options, pull the horses pr back GE and he went with the easiest of the two, backing GE does no damage to O'Leary whereas a move would likely cost him money

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Those that are into horse racing are well aware it doesn't need this bad publicity.
    The animal cruelty people will lap this up .
    It was a serious misjudgment on Elliot's part .
    Pressure over the few days will be put on his owners to rethink having him as their trainer .
    Cheltenham is only 2 weeks away .
    Whoever took this photo and released it only now is obviously playing a game with Elliot .
    He must have really upset he or she .

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Just entered a bizarre universe, Lydia Hislop talking to Joe Duffy on Liveline! And the word "knackers" being thrown around with wild abandon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I've posts in this forum that predate this moderators membership of the site.
    I joined in 2004. You joined in 2015.
    I dont appreciate being patronised especially after receiving a card, I stand by what I've said in the thread.
    You made a comment "you seem to be biased here". You were warned not to moderate the forum.
    I answered you in post 220, although on reflection I think I made a mistake, and allowed you continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wonder how the owner of that dead horse feels seeing Elliot sitting astride it smiling and giving the V sign feels? They are the people who bought the horse and paid a hefty sum to have it trained and looked after and then they see this.
    I’m sure they’re not very happy and I wouldn’t be either.
    It’s not just disrespect to the horse and it’s owner, it’s disrespect to the entire sport of horseracing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭JibJabWibWab

The join date under your name says 2018. August to be exact... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I wonder how the owner of that dead horse feels seeing Elliot sitting astride it smiling and giving the V sign feels? They are the people who bought the horse and paid a hefty sum to have it trained and looked after and then they see this.
    I’m sure they’re not very happy and I wouldn’t be either.
    It's Gigginstown and they've accepted his apology

You made a comment "you seem to be biased here". You were warned not to moderate the forum.
    I answered you in post 220, although on reflection I think I made a mistake, and allowed you continue.

2018. You made a mistake in your behaviour, I agreed with the point made by that poster. Dead horse on the gallops from a heart attack points to the horse being worked to death. Your response was crap and I called you on it and when asked I explained further. Then you carded me.

curioser wrote: »
    Just entered a bizarre universe, Lydia Hislop talking to Joe Duffy on Liveline! And the word "knackers" being thrown around with wild abandon.

Pavee Point will be all over the news tomorrow now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

MOD EDIT
    inappropriate language

Enlighten me here....

With the winding down of Gigginstown it makes no sense to pull the horses. O'Leary had two options, pull the horses pr back GE and he went with the easiest of the two, backing GE does no damage to O'Leary whereas a move would likely cost him money

Surely it makes sense to pull his horses temporarily at least if Elliott is banned from Cheltenham? Especially as they're winding down and have not many Cheltenhams left.

The English racing and sports media coverage indicates it's highly likely Elliott will be banned from Cheltenham. BHA can't afford the controversy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Thread feels like its coming close to been past the point of fit for purpose. If there was any rational discussion to be had it's long gone

• Advertisement

The join date under your name says 2018. August to be exact... :confused:
    I can find a post of mine dated 29/03/05.

Surely it makes sense to pull his horses temporarily at least if Elliott is banned from Cheltenham? Especially as they're winding down and have not many Cheltenhams left.

The English racing and sports media coverage indicates it's highly likely Elliott will be banned from Cheltenham. BHA can't afford the controversy.

Can't see any investigation being done and dusted before Cheltenham, and as with previous bans handed out they usually start at a fixed date a number of weeks later. Plus any ban will be appealed and not implemented until after the appeal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Not defending it at all, what he did is wrong.

Struggling to see what he's done to deserve being banned, other than damaging the reputation of racing, which seems a very woolly sort accusation.

Unfortunately if the IHRB don't ban him i think the BHA will take it upon themselves to do it. This is last thing i would want to happen.

I can find a post of mine dated 29/03/05.

Under the name Diomed?

Under the name Diomed?
    I had two previous usernames.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭fawlty682

Ridiculous fuss about nothing. The animal was dead.

• Advertisement

I had two previous usernames.

Is it possible that other posters have had previous usernames?
    And that they don't need to be patronised with "welcomes" and repeated references to the charter?

fawlty682 wrote: »

The Equine Athlete was dead. It's trainer and custodian was sitting on it's dead body. Smiling.

Ridiculous fuss about nothing? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

There's more new posters appearing here now than the ones aftertiming on Cheltenham week

And?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Mod edit

Stupid from Elliot. Should he be banned? No imo.

However, it's s PR disaster and Betfair have already dropped him. He can't really complain if he loses a lot of work over this.

I'm always interested in how it was leaked. Was it an intentional leak? Timing so close to Cheltenham too. Got to assume it was primed and ready for max damage.

• Advertisement

Can't see any investigation being done and dusted before Cheltenham, and as with previous bans handed out they usually start at a fixed date a number of weeks later. Plus any ban will be appealed and not implemented until after the appeal

Have you seen any coverage on Sky Sports News and Sky Sports Racing?

I doubt this will be treated like other cases.

The BHA statement:

The BHA is appalled by the image that appeared this weekend. We expect all those in our sport to demonstrate respect for horses, on the racecourse, in the training yard, on the gallops, and wherever they have horses in their care. People who work in our industry believe their values – of caring for and respecting our horses – have been deeply undermined by this behaviour. On their behalf, and on behalf of all horse-lovers, we say unequivocally that British horseracing finds this totally unacceptable.

The BHA is considering its own regulatory options, recognising that the Irish authorities license Mr Elliott and are carrying out their own investigation.

It's Gigginstown and they've accepted his apology

Mod edit

Mod edit

Yep, censor what you dont like hearing. Wonderful response.

This is a massive story for UK and Irish racing. it is "the" story really.

Is it possible that other posters have had previous usernames?
    And that they don't need to be patronised with "welcomes" and repeated references to the charter?

Boards moderation brings something out in people.

An animal that he makes his living from & has a duty of care for, an animal someone bought with their money, joking around like that is the height of disrespect to the animal, owner, people in & anyone who loves the sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Mod edit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Mod edit
    I can guarantee you that if this is closed, the topicwill spring up in various parts of boards, often where people with no clue of the context or the people involved will dominate the talking.

Other mods will have to deal with moving threads here only for them to be closed unless there's somehow a more appropriate forum to discuss it in.

I can tell by the anger and vitriol from some quarters, they probably would take their pitchforks to help desk and feedback forum if not allowed to condemn it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I assume you wouldn't sit on a dead animal yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Mod edit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

master of his own destruction really , you can apologise all you want , but in all my life farming I would never glorify the death of a animal , sad day really .
    he did it ,even if it wasn't captured by a photo , but it was , makes you wonder what goes on .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It was incredibly idiotic from Elliott to even considering posing for the photo in the first place, especially in this age of social media and cancel culture.

He always came across as a bit less "horsey set" than the schoolmaster demenour of Mullins, and the well-spoken Henderson, De Bromhead or Harrington. And also seems to be a fella that surely has an entourage of hangers-on and gob****es compared to his contemporaries.

But between this, and the other "leaks" flying around on social media circles, it must just be a little rough around the edges, and basically an ass. Which is why it was made public to be begin with.

I do think it's a stretch to say he worked the horse in question, or indeed any horse, to death, but what he did do was inherently wrong and juvenile, and he should be made the face the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Silly Gilly

Mod edit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Mod eit

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Feel sorry for the person in the Dept of Ag who has to brief their Minister for the Dail tomorrow, and has to run it by the Green Minister of State. The backbench Greens will be screaming for blood, egged on by the usual suspects on the left. If this goes politically rabid the IHRB will be railroaded into making a speedy decision that won't be favourable to GE, whatever the rights or wrongs of the issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod

Apologies for Closing the Thread, but there is a bit of cleaning up to do

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

It doesn't matter if you are on Boards a week or a decade, the same rules apply to every poster.

Cards and bans have been handed out.

Please post in a more civil manner or you will be carded and possibly banned, which would be a pity as apparently there is a big meeting on the horizon.

Do not quote or reply to this post in thread, PM if there is any issue.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Tracy Piggott is on liveline now feeling outraged. I guess it's her only outlet to discuss horse related stuff nowadays.

Good old Tracy, haven't seen much of her in ages.

I remember back in 1993 when I was a young lad only starting out in employment as a postman. Delivering to her fancy gaff in Killiney on a bright Summer morning, she was in the garden and I thought I'd use some charm so asked her had she any tips ?

She kindly told me if I wanted any tips to " buy a ****ing newspaper " :D

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭liamoreilly

...I wonder how connections of the horse they owned who sadly died but now seeing it plastered all over the internet with its trainer sitting proudly on it are feeling... I'm sure some people will know the name of the horse and owners- I'd say there would definitely be some kind of civil charges to be made and rightly so... I often see owners have their family and children at the races- for them to potentially see a horse they own be subjected to this is horrific for them... I don't know what laws if anything were broken- but i'm pretty sure if i was near a man or woman that died and decided to sit on them and make peace gestures whilst smiling i'd be hit with a few charges... I'm not saying it will be the same punishment, but imo the crime is just as sick and disgusting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

curioser wrote: »
    Feel sorry for the person in the Dept of Ag who has to brief their Minister for the Dail tomorrow, and has to run it by the Green Minister of State. The backbench Greens will be screaming for blood, egged on by the usual suspects on the left. If this goes politically rabid the IHRB will be railroaded into making a speedy decision that won't be favourable to GE, whatever the rights or wrongs of the issue.

Pippa Hackett the Green ag minister, and her hubby would have lots of horse racing connections and have bred many a good hoss.

Advertisement