Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gordon Elliott

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

They move yards

You can't just get that amount of horses moved to new yards this close to the big racing festivals. Yes by all means come May... but now would **** up a lot of the bigger trainers and they might not want to upset the apple cart either by taking them in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Can someone pm me what caused the leaked photo. Just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

100% agree, Gordon Elliots behavior is pure scumbaggery. I was involved with Horses for a long time, a lot of cruelty from mild to extreme goes on not just in horse racing but in Show jumping, dressage and hunting too.

What involvement did you have in horse racing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Anniepowaaa

Robson99 wrote: »
    You can't just get that amount of horses moved to new yards this close to the big racing festivals. Yes by all means come May... but now would **** up a lot of the bigger trainers and they might not want to upset the apple cart either by taking them in

Yes Henry de bromhead will turn down envoi Allen incase it upsets a plus tard

What involvement did you have in horse racing?

He walked by a bale of hay once

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

They would stay in Elliotts yard and just run under a different trainers name

It's more the majority are very much in agreement and there's a few posters going around with their shillelaghs from the 1820s.

By the way Dan Breen was a labourer, he fought against elites and cliques all his life..he wouldn't be a fan of the privileged horse racing set. You're very misnamed.

The usual oul whataboutery about 'trying to feel outraged', 'snowflakes' etc rather than say Elliott is a stupid fcuk.

So you think horse racing in this country is supported by the elites! and you think I'm stuck in the 1820's !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

Maybe he wouldn't want to fall out with GE or MOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

He could have leaned up against the fence as easy, brain dead, will cost him

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Just been told the whole back story. Hilarious.

Sure you have, and what else had Walter Mitty to say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

Rumours that there's more to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

wardides wrote: »
    Mick Fitz on tears on ATR now. He his well and truly goosed.
    Mick Fitzgerald is a hypocrite, his best mate Nicky Henderson ran l'ami Serge, an 11 year old, on the go since he was 3, and the horse was basically finished, ran him after a year off, and the horse was put down, Mother Teresa Mick wouldn't call out his mate for this carry on, literally flogging a dead horse, and hungry Henderson didn't care much about that horse, crocodile tears from prick Fitzgerald the most annoying man in racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Robson99 wrote: »
    Maybe he wouldn't want to fall out with GE or MOL

Why? O Leary gone within a few years.

bmc58 wrote: »
    Gordon Elliot might have NO runners at Cheltenham.Disaster for him.

Ireland might have no runners at Cheltenham, will they be allowed travel?

Someone has it in for him. Reminds me of Gray and Keys at Sky. Old stuff getting leaked.

Will be interesting how long this story runs.

Nozebleed wrote: »
    cant see that happening to be honest. Elliott is not guilty of a serious crime in relation to animal welfare. the optics certainly aren't great. but its typical of todays media standards to drag this out all over twitter etc. its just opportunism by some disgruntled former associate by the look of it..releasing a photo like that without giving its true context is dishonerable but thats the way media works.

Elliotts explaination while not great..appears truthfull.

I personally hope he goes on to have a good festival.

Most accurate post in the whole thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Motivator wrote: »
    The only being punished here is Elliott. This is top class Shîthousery from the BHA because they’re trying to force the owners hand and get the horses out of the yard.

I disagree, I think it is a great move. Makes IHRB make a decision.

The way this would pan out is IHRB would sit on it until the end of April so Gordon could get Cheltenham, Aintree and Punchestown done, then ban him for 3 months of the summer.

IHRB have known about this picture since Friday, what else is there to investigate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Apparently an ex-employee has posted something on Facebook, based on this guy who works for William Hill radio. No idea what it is about or who posted it.

https://twitter.com/CraigForsyth_/status/1366479210689294341

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Mick Fitzgerald is a hypocrite, his best mate Nicky Henderson ran l'ami Serge, an 11 year old, on the go since he was 3, and the horse was basically finished, ran him after a year off, and the horse was put down, Mother Teresa Mick wouldn't call out his mate for this carry on, literally flogging a dead horse, and hungry Henderson didn't care much about that horse, crocodile tears from prick Fitzgerald the most annoying man in racing.

Ah would you cop onto yourself. That is pure and utter bull****. Dont think you should be in the horse racing forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

morphy87 wrote: »
    Is there more to come?

Lol you could say that.

For those pm-ing me for the scandal, its both libelous and some aspects are the subject of a Garda investigation, so I'll not be going into on Boards publicly or privately.

Labaik wrote: »
    The BHA should get there own house in order first. I dont recall them banning Sheikh Mohammed from running horses in the UK after Princess Latifa's story broke. Stones and glass houses come to mind

Hear hear, of course try explaining that to the bunch of OUTRAGED Joe Duffy fan's around here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Lol you could say that.

For those pm-ing me for the scandal, its both libelous and some aspects are the subject of a Garda investigation, so I'll not be going into on Boards publicly or privately.

Mod note

A very good decision.

Please comment only on what is widely reported in the Media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭Shelby Foote

So you think horse racing in this country is supported by the elites! and you think I'm stuck in the 1820's !

The Real Dan Breen wouldn't be lining the pockets of an elite clique ;) It's mostly supported by lads who'd bet on two flies walking up a wall. Most wouldn't know one end of a horse from the other.

The later group are just stooges to keep the big boys in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

Lol you could say that.

I’ve seen watts app videos a few days ago and poor Gordon having a rough time. I always said those mobile phones are dangerous yolks in the wrong hands .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

The Mig wrote: »
    MOD NOTE

Don’t post in this thread again TimHorton

And take your stale doughnuts with you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Let's talk about the good times.

Sire Du Berlais and his first Pertemps. A day I'll never forget. Rest in peace Gordy.

Ah would you cop onto yourself. That is pure and utter bull****. Dont think you should be in the horse racing forum.

Crocodile tears from mick, and an emotional victory for Darryl Jacob the next day at Newbury, in the same colours, it's not up to you what I decide to post anyway, but this bull**** goes on all the time, the horse died doing what he loved. Who asked him, elliot is not the worst anyway, Michael Hourigan killed dorans pride in a hunter chase when he was about 15

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Ireland might have no runners at Cheltenham, will they be allowed travel?

Plenty of Irish horses have raced in the UK over the last couple of months. Travel will be fine

Well Mick Fitzgerald has always known what side his bread is buttered on. I wonder would he have been as quick to come out against Henderson?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Looptheloop30

A hard man for a nipple cripple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There's stuff being posted on twitter, I won't share any link here as I agree with the poster above and mod decision.

Lol you could say that.

So basically you have6a clue what's happening lol

The Real Dan Breen wouldn't be lining the pockets of an elite clique ;) It's mostly supported by lads who'd bet on two flies walking up a wall. Most wouldn't know one end of a horse from the other.

The later group are just stooges to keep the big boys in business.

Well at least you're not hiding your anti horse racing bias unlike some around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

If Sheikh Mohammed was taking photos of him smiling with his daughter in handcuffs behind him, then the BHA might be forced into action. And when the photos of Nicky Henderson come out, then examining what Mick Fitz acts will be interesting. Until then, it doesnt change what Gordon Elliot has done. Even if you believe his story, it will end up with a harsh punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Pure speculation, but what chance Pipe takes over ‘training’ the Gigginstown horses for Cheltenham (and other UK meetings until Elliott ban is done) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Why in the name of God would they give them to Pipe

Edit I see what you mean now. No.

Why in the name of God would they give them to Pipe

Edit I see what you mean now. No.
    They want to stick by Elliott. They want to go to Cheltenham. They’ll want to send them to someone Elliott approves.
    Be interesting to see who they do pick, if not Pipe.

Elliott comments to Racing Post:

“It is indefensible. Whether alive or dead, the horse was entitled to dignity. A moment of madness that I am going to have to spend the rest of my life paying for and that my staff are suffering for.

"I will be punished, I fully understand that. But it absolutely breaks my heart to read and hear people say that I have no respect for my horses. That couldn't be further from the truth. My whole life has revolved around horses since I was a child. I know nothing else. Horses are all I have. I came from nothing and built a dream.

"When your world starts crumbling in front of you, it's a scary place to be. I just hope people can understand how truly sorry I am and find some way to forgive me for what I have done."

Well at least you're not hiding your anti horse racing bias unlike some around here.

I find them a clique to be honest. I like the O'Briens, Willie Mullins. Find Ruby Walsh a spikey little yoke.

That photo Elliott let out, you wouldn't expect 'Johnny Connors' from a halting site to use as his WhatsApp profile pic. It's one of the most brain dead things a high profile sports person has done here. And he's 42 tomorrow. It's not even about the dead horse but what the clown on top of him was doing or trying to do. And then his explanation!

I like the man who has a couple of mares and foals and stays up night and day in April or May to foal his mare(s). Who knows a good horse from a bad one, who can judge an animal. Be it Irish Draught, Sports horse or Thoroughbred. Not the set who go to the Budweiser Derby and haven't a clue. Or the Sports Star or Michael O'Learys who only get into it because they are loaded. I don't warm to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭piplip87

On the plus side those who took the good price on Britain winning the Prestbury cup will be delighted.

• Advertisement

Elliott comments to Racing Post:

“It is indefensible. Whether alive or dead, the horse was entitled to dignity. A moment of madness that I am going to have to spend the rest of my life paying for and that my staff are suffering for.

"I will be punished, I fully understand that. But it absolutely breaks my heart to read and hear people say that I have no respect for my horses. That couldn't be further from the truth. My whole life has revolved around horses since I was a child. I know nothing else. Horses are all I have. I came from nothing and built a dream.

"When your world starts crumbling in front of you, it's a scary place to be. I just hope people can understand how truly sorry I am and find some way to forgive me for what I have done."
    I don't think there's much more the man can say to be honest but no doubt the8are some around here who will want him crucified.

I find them a clique to be honest. I like the O'Briens, Willie Mullins. Find Ruby Walsh a spikey little yoke.

That photo Elliott let out, you wouldn't expect 'Johnny Connors' from a halting site to use as his WhatsApp profile pic. It's one of the most brain dead things a high profile sports person has done here. And he's 42 tomorrow. It's not even about the dead horse but what the clown on top of him was doing or trying to do. And then his explanation!

I like the man who has a couple of mares and foals and stays up night and day in April or May to foal his mare(s). Who knows a good horse from a bad one, who can judge an animal. Be it Irish Draught, Sports horse or Thoroughbred. Not the set who go to the Budweiser Derby and haven't a clue. Or the Sports Star or Michael O'Learys who only get into it because they are loaded. I don't warm to them.

Apart from the photo is it the fact that Elliot built his yard and his success from scratch that bothers you. As for the O,learys , if it wasn't for the like of them and Jp and Barry Connell there wouldn't be a horse racing industry.

Apart from the photo is it the fact that Elliot built his yard and his success from scratch that bothers you. As for the O,learys , if it wasn't for the like of them and Jp and Barry Connell there wouldn't be a horse racing industry.

No it's his stupidity that bothers me. He's not filming the Young Offenders.

You're suggesting I'm begrudging. That's not part of my make up.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭cocotheclown

I'm guessing none the horses will be going the Harrington yard then.....

I don't think there's much more the man can say to be honest but no doubt the8are some around here who will want him crucified.

I don’t disagree, but it’s a pity his first statement wasn’t along these lines.

‘The photo in question was taken some time ago’ was trying to suggest it was a lot longer ago than 2019. And the thing about standing over the horse when a phone call came and without thinking just sat down on it , was clearly nonsense.

And then posting photos on his Twitter this evening about his 4 winners today!

He’s made more than one mistake in this episode and there has been a bigger sense of arrogance than sorrow coming from him. Hopefully the Racing Post interview this evening is a sign that he’s copped on and he’s realized his only way out is No Excuses, Genuine Sorrow, Please Forgive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

If that was his first statement then I think it would have calmed down quicker but his first statement was a joke. I don’t doubt his love for horses and this was just a brain fart moment but it’s a very expensive moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

Good to see Elliot finally hired a few professional PR people to look after him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

From the horses point of view, that would be a good thing!

From the horses point of view, that would be a good thing!
    they would'nt even exist then ,horses have zero use in the modern world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It’s kind of sad to see a great horse trainer in trouble like this over a very stupid episode like this. I hope it doesn’t finish his career but by God he brought it on himself. Awful stupid thing to do and even worse coming out with that farcical first statement.

Advertisement