Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get shoes for primary schooler?

Options
  • 28-02-2021 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have a son who is in primary school and is returning to school Monday. Unfortunately he will be going to school in wrecked shoes as we have no idea where to get new ones. (He needs a Size 5).

Shops are restricted from selling them by lockdown. I could not find anything at all online. The Dunnes website does not seem to have children's shoes in "low digits adult" sizes - its children's section shoes seem to end at children's 13 while men's section start with 6. Nothing on Littlewoods either. The few on Amazon.co.uk don't ship to Ireland; besides I'd prefer an Irish source in case we have to return them.

Could anyone please advice where to gt shoes for a school child in this current situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

What about Next or M&S ?

Would something like this work ? https://www.schuh.ie/kids/youth-nike-court-borough-low-2-black-trainers/2714457020/

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭walshtipp

Dubarry sell very good shoes online. Always loved the Dubarrys. May seem pricey but you get what you pay for. Brilliant quality.

https://www.dubarry.com/ie/women/footwear/deck-shoes/admirals-dubes-deck-shoe-navy?c=61

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

There are no M&S stores here in Limerick, however looking at delivery now, thanks.

He would prefer an option with a Velcro strap as laces come undone all the time when one runs around. And I can't seem to find the size 5/5.5 adult when starting with the schuh.ie website - "men" start at size 6, "kids" end at 13 small!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭eildar

Tesco had school uniforms and school shoes out the other day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Try going into Tesco and Dunnes, they have more clothes out now than they did 2 months ago.Since kids grow and we are now into month 3 of this...

Clarks do have an online Irish site now too, which they are selling shoes on.They didn't previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Go to tesco, dunnes or M&S
    If the shoes are not on display just ask the staff for what you want

More than happy to get you what you need

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Decathalon do a big range of kids walking and sports shoes and they deliver pretty quickly. I ordered Geox for my son during lockdown #1 and they were great quality

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Meaneys shoes in Tipperary are extremely helpful, great selection and deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Also, I’m my experience it’s very hard to get Velcro on kids shoes When they go above a size 3 or 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

I ordered children clothes on H&M recently arrived very fast. Sports direct also has good delivery time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 AshlingMG

Rena Beau in Dunboyne will WhatsApp photos of what they have in the size and post your shoes out to you. I had to buy my 1 year olds first shoes this way;I don’t understand how kids shoes are not deemed essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Thanks for all the advice!

I did look at all the websites, but decided not to go for relatively expensive shoes, primarily because there is no way to try them on so they might end up a waste. (Secondarily, they might be shipped from the UK and be hit with Irish VAT, while shoes under circa 20 Euro are exempt).

The search thanks to this thread did get me new leads and eventually I bought a very cheap Velcro pair of trainers from https://www.mandmdirect.ie/ - just 12 Euro, plus 5 delivery. The shoes arrived pretty fast and the boy is saying that they are "a bit hard" but all right. (I erred towards bigger, not smaller, size, so they being hard does not mean they can push on his foot).

I hope this pair will do until the end of the lockdown, when we can go to a shop and find a properly fitting pair.

Advertisement