Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tennis Courts

• 28-02-2021 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭

Does anyone know who manages the tennis court at:
    • Laurel Lodge (Sycamore)
    • Riverwood
    • Back of Super Valu

I used to trot around between the three courts with the kids for a game of tennis. Now you can't get on a court for love nor money. Even at 7am these days, its next to impossible to get a court. There are even people receiving paid lessons on the courts which is f**king ridiculous.

They are a public amenity and should not be used for profit for hours on end where no one else can use them

Going back to my original question, who manages these courts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Under level 5 tennis isn't allowed with the exception of designated High Performance Players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

Ask Novak for an exhibition at Blanch Super Valu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Fingal County Council manage the courts at Riverwood and Laurel Lodge.

I overlook the Riverwood courts. It seems that some tennis clubs told their members about the Riverwood and Laurel Lodge courts. As you say, they are almost constantly busy. We used to pop out and play for 30mins every now and again but gave up because it's gotten so busy.

I didn't realise that tennis wasn't permitted under Level 5 restrictions. It's a strange one as it's outdoors and that's the safest place to be. And you are generally ample distance from your opponent (when playing singles).

daymobrew wrote: »
    I didn't realise that tennis wasn't permitted under Level 5 restrictions. It's a strange one as it's outdoors and that's the safest place to be. And you are generally ample distance from your opponent (when playing singles).

Confirmed on Tennis Ireland website and Facebook page. There have been lobbies to get tennis and golf exempted but they're not. I'd guess that balls would be the issue with tennis, no clue with golf, except maybe flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭YellowLead

It seems frustrating it’s not allowed between household members or support bubbles - I mean if you live with somebody or see them all the time what’s the problem. And for those not in the same household you are properly distanced - and just use hand sanitiser/don’t touch your face...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭A Knight of Ireland

I didnt realise it wasnt permitted either. It really is shameful that the tennis clubs are profiting off the public courses. Wait till you see, it'll continue when the lock downs lift

I didnt realise it wasnt permitted either. It really is shameful that the tennis clubs are profiting off the public courses. Wait till you see, it'll continue when the lock downs lift
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#exercise-and-sporting-events
    Outdoor golf and tennis are not permitted.
    I lobbied to ask for the library to be permitted to continue its click-and-collect service but no go.

The tennis clubs aren't profiting, it's the coaches that are earning.

daymobrew wrote: »
    The tennis clubs aren't profiting, it's the coaches that are earning.

I think you mean it's the coaches that breaking lockdown rules. I'm surprised the Council has left access to the courts open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Why don’t you contact, your go to local TD’s to highlight this matter.
    After all Tainiste Leo Varadkar is a Honorary Member of Castlknock LTC
    * and the other is Minister for Sport.

* https://www.kildarestreet.com/regmem/?p=267

Caranica wrote: »
    I think you mean it's the coaches that breaking lockdown rules. I'm surprised the Council has left access to the courts open.
    Yes, you're right.

I am glad that the council has left the courts open. The restriction is a really stupid one - probably intended to keep private tennis clubs closed rather than public courts. If private tennis clubs were open people might claim that it was elitist because most people cannot afford to be members.

• Advertisement
Advertisement