Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non members shooting in gun club land with permission?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

A racing pigeon and feral pigeon are one and the same if I'm not mistaken but for the ring....?

If a released pheasant goes into neighboring gun-club lands, and is tagged.

Are you going to complain someone else shot your "property"?
    No your not, because your duty of care ended when it was released.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Altough feral pigeons can be described as any domesticated pigeon that has gone wild, so yes a racing pigeon that has not returned to the loft and instead lives wild (normally nesting in buildings etc), the population of true feral pigeons found through the countryside have origins in escapees from pigeon coups when they were kept for a food source and not messages or racing. The feral is a hinds mix of various pigeons but because domesticated birds tend to roost in structures and not trees they have a strong mix of rock dove in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

slipperyox wrote: »
    A racing pigeon and feral pigeon are one and the same if I'm not mistaken but for the ring....?

Yes. Which is why I said it becomes a “feral pigeon” when it goes wild. Same as a domestic cat becomes a feral cat, or a farmed pig becomes a feral hog.
    Both of the latter can be shot. But both require it be be actually feral and not just released or escaped briefly.

A pheasant that was released to the wild a year ago is feral.
    A pigeon released to go home an hour ago is not feral.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bluezulu49

garrettod wrote: »

The attitude goes against the spirit of encouraging new people into the sport, which really disappoints me.

I've often wondered why the NARGC don't do a bit more, to help encourage every club to take in a minimum number of new members each year.
    While the NARGC do want new members, the sample gun club constitution on their website used to state that membership of the club was confined to the parish in which the club was located. This has now been changed to
    3. Qualification for Membership:
    a. Membership shall be confined to persons either currently residing or
    previously resident in the area covered by the Club, or drawing their livelihood
    mainly from within that area

It is my view that this is discriminatory and should be changed for the good of and continuation of the sport.

Link to sample constitution for an NARGC club here ---> https://silkstart.s3.amazonaws.com/3dbdcbec-c463-4702-8a73-441b0d37f2dd.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭BSA International

Clubs make their own rules. Every club member has to be in comp fund. Clubs are affiliated to county body and are more or less independent thereafter once the comp fund rule is followed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement